Grogg listens to music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2021 20:02
  • Post subject:
The last Adderley-fronted album in my collection is really more of a Bill Evans album if memory serves me correctly. This is one of those albums that doesn't make the top 100 jazz album lists, but definitely has a prominent spot in the next tier down. I've always loved the Evans easter-egg on the cover, too. This is the first mono pressing on Riverside from 1961.

Know What I Mean? by Cannonball Adderle...Bill Evans

Discogs link
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2021 23:46
  • Post subject:
Next up is the most consistently listenable Aerosmith album. By 1976 they'd really got things figured out and I think this was their peak. If you listen to that run of the first three songs, especially, you're hearing a supremely confident band.

Rocks by Aerosmith

Discogs link
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2021 00:01
  • Post subject:
This one is from a couple of years earlier and doesn't quite have the same polish as Rocks, but Train Kept a Rollin' is simply a monster. Oh, the guy I bought this from took good care of his records and kept the original hype sticker and department store sticker. Always fun to have that kind of stuff.

Get Your Wings by Aerosmith

Discogs link

Last edited by grogg on 02/21/2021 00:57; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2021 00:06
  • Post subject:
grogg wrote:
Tonight's entry is Cannonball's Mercy Mercy Mercy. This is one of those live albums where the jacket flat out lies to you, here suggesting that the show was played at a Chicago club (whose owner was a friend of Adderley's) but was actually played in studio with some folks pretending to be an audience. That part is a bit weird, but it really becomes secondary about halfway through "Games" when you're totally enveloped by the playing. This is top tier bop and perhaps a little underappreciated.

This is a first pressing from 1967 on Capitol with the iconic rainbow label you've likely seen on Beatles albums.

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! - Live At "Th...ey Quintet

Discogs link

This is the go-to track:

Link

And it was turned into a top 11 hit by The Buckinghams about a month later:

Link

Yeah, the story behind thst one is silly, but there's no mistaking the excellence of the music and the verve in the delivery. Those cats were killing it for sure. Wish I Couldn't been there myself.
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2021 00:14
  • Post subject:
Going to cheat a little bit and post one that I'm not listening to, simply because I just bought it a couple of months ago. It's an Aerosmith album from 2004 and is notable simply because they weren't putting out much vinyl in 2004, therefore it's incredibly rare. I'll be honest, it's not great. The goal was to get back to their roots by doing a bunch of blues covers, but it comes off as cheesy and the results are all over the place. I'll link to maybe the best track from the whole experiment below.

Honkin' On Bobo by Aerosmith

Discogs link

Warning, this is full-on scarf-mode Steven Tyler. It wouldn't hurt to shotgun a couple of beers before clicking.

Link

Last edited by grogg on 02/21/2021 00:25; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2021 00:24
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Yeah, the story behind thst one is silly, but there's no mistaking the excellence of the music and the verve in the delivery. Those cats were killing it for sure. Wish I Couldn't been there myself.

I got to sit in on a couple of pretty good jazz concerts in college about 20 years ago and I saw the touring Duke Ellington band in Seattle a couple of years back, but yeah, sadly, the days of going to a legitimate jazz show outside of New York or maybe Chicago are gone. It's nice that they're still uncovering tapes, though, like the excellent Palo Alto by Thelonious Monk that was released last year. Any glimpse we can get of that era is welcome.
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/21/2021 00:36
  • Post subject:
Speaking of the blues, next up is one of my favorites of the genre. I haven't taken the time to sit down and learn about Luther, but I can tell you that this is simply a masterpiece. Check the title track below to erase all memory of Steven Tyler from your mind.

Bad News Is Coming by Luther Allison

Discogs link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2021 01:00
  • Post subject:
Got a little out of order here, but I'm stepping back a few letters to get some Air. One of my favorite 90s albums, and one of the few downtempo/ambient/electronic albums in my collection. It's just a chill album for a chill evening.

Moon Safari by Air (FR)

Discogs link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/26/2021 02:22
  • Post subject:
I've got one more silver dollar, so I'm going down to Macon, GA for the next band in my collection. Not much to say about these, I kind of just want to curl up in a ball and have the music carry me into Friday. Hope you're having a good night, wherever you may be.

• Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 03/04/2021 19:57
  • Post subject:
A good reason to listen to all of your albums in alphabetical order is that you come across sealed items in your possession that, by definition, you've never listened to before! In this case, I have a sealed audiophile 45rpm pressing of a Gene Ammons album that I'm not at all familiar with. So now I get to think about if I want to open this album and play it and reduce its value from $150 to $60-$70. That seems like a large loss of equity when I can buy an OJC in VG+ condition for $13 and probably get the same amount of enjoyment out of it. BUT selling a record online means dealing with another human (in this case, a buyer) and then making a trip to the Post Office (a location outside of my apartment). It's all a lot to consider, so I'm going to give it a think and I'll get back to you later with what I decided.

Gene Ammons - Blue Gene
  • Visit poster's website