Top 5 concerts of 2022

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/11/2020 07:42
  • Post subject:

Ewaz Vader by One Shot
Some wonderful jazz rock/fusion. Turns out esoteric charts on RYM are a goldmine.

The Time For Waltz by Itsuro Shimoda
Itsuro Shimoda is a brilliant and vastly underrated singer/songwriter. He's been active since the 70s and every album of his that I've picked was great. This is his later career work, a lovely folk album, a bit symphonic/chamber pop at parts.

2020s
90s

Last edited by LedZep on 06/14/2020 01:10; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2020 15:58
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Inspired by Spyglass and his efforts, I tried making a short but honest list of underrated (on BEA) metal albums. Will try adding more albums when I find some time

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=59775

This list looks fantastic. Some amazing albums in there and plenty that I have yet to hear!
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/13/2020 16:34
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:
LedZep wrote:
Inspired by Spyglass and his efforts, I tried making a short but honest list of underrated (on BEA) metal albums. Will try adding more albums when I find some time

https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=59775

This list looks fantastic. Some amazing albums in there and plenty that I have yet to hear!
Thanks man! It's gonna be updated regularly in the next several weeks, hope you'll find a new favourite or two in there Smile

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/19/2020 19:24
  • Post subject:

Weighing Souls With Sand by The Angelic Process
Well this absolutely blew me away. It's so much things at once, very difficult to pinpoint. It's certainly noise, there's drone too, you have the abrasiveness of metal and huge sounding guitars reminiscent of shoegaze. I know I talk a lot about atmosphere on albums, BUT MAN THE ATMOSPHERE HERE! It's incredible! It kept surprising me throughout, I never knew when the ambient section will suddenly end and the crushing guitar wall start. Highly recommend if you like drone/post/noise metal that's very adventurous and barely sounds like metal most of the time.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 06/19/2020 20:23
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Weighing Souls With Sand by The Angelic Process
Well this absolutely blew me away. It's so much things at once, very difficult to pinpoint. It's certainly noise, there's drone too, you have the abrasiveness of metal and huge sounding guitars reminiscent of shoegaze. I know I talk a lot about atmosphere on albums, BUT MAN THE ATMOSPHERE HERE! It's incredible! It kept surprising me throughout, I never knew when the ambient section will suddenly end and the crushing guitar wall start. Highly recommend if you like drone/post/noise metal that's very adventurous and barely sounds like metal most of the time.

I absolutely love this album! It's brilliantly messy and massive! I've heard it be described as "doomgaze" (doom metal + shoegaze).
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/20/2020 12:42
  • Post subject:
Anti wrote:
I've heard it be described as "doomgaze" (doom metal + shoegaze).
Huh, I've heard the term before (along with "dronegaze") but had no idea what the music was like. Just googled the genre, and apparently Deathconscoiusness is doomgaze too. Never thought about Have A Nice Day as a metal band. Jesu, This Will Destroy You and Nadja were also mentioned. There's a cool chart on RYM.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/22/2020 21:23
  • Post subject:
Just went on a Vlasta Popić (and related band Seine) binge for the first time in a while. Added a few albums to the database too. I don't think I've covered any noise and/or Croatian bands in this thread, so might as well do that now.

Vlasta Popić are a noise pop and punk (and related) trio from Varaždin, Croatia, with the core of two members: Tena Rak and Ivan Ščapec. The final incarnation of the band had Dimitrij Mekotanović on bass. They suddenly went on an indefinite hiatus in 2015, offering only a brief message with the title "It's broken" as a reason. That was after releasing what was considered one of the best Croatian albums of the year (and decade) and playing over 60 shows in the same year. 2/3 of the band, the two guys Ivan and Dimitrij, continued as punk/folk/electronic band Seine. Tena was also involved in several post-Vlasta projects.

Za Očnjake by Vlasta Popić
Their first LP Za očnjake ("For Cuspids") from 2012 is pretty punky, raw noise pop with some post-hardcore vibes at times. Fantastic, and would recommend it if it wasn't for their second LP, which is even better.

Live @Klub by Vlasta Popić
Live from klub Klub (a club in Zagreb named Club, because why not), recorded in late 2013 and released a few weeks later, on 31st of January 2014. Most of the songs are from the second LP, which hadn't been released at that point. That's why the song names are sometimes different from the album versions. A great performance, dynamic, aggressive and honest. There's a recording of the show (although low quality), this song's my favourite.

Link

Kvadrat by Vlasta Popić
A crowning achievement of Croatian noise, rock and punk in the last 10-15 years in my eyes. Although stylistically not that different from the debut, the songwriting on the second and final LP named Kvadrat ("Square") is much more interesting. It's just a bit more controlled and less raw as a whole, giving the album a cohesion which the debut lacked. Guys and gal pouring their hearts into music, while not getting carried away, so it still sounds coherent and incredible. Lyrics are sometimes interesting and cool, sometimes humorous, but not crucial if you're a fan of the style. One of the albums I gladly promote whenever I get the chance.

Further listening:

Sno Sna by Seine
Not as hard hitting as Vlasta Popić, and I dislike vocals at some spots, but it's a worthy successor to Vlasta. It's a bit tough to label, it has punk and rock aesthetics, but there's a lot of folk and electronics too. Top 50 of 2017 at the very least for me.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 07/03/2020 22:24
  • Post subject:

Attack Of The Future Shocked, Flesh Cov... $ilkMoney
Might've already mentioned $ilkmoney on BEA, but yesterday's relisten has pushed this in top 20 of the year so I feel obliged to recommend it again. It has the most brilliant song names I've ever seen, goofy and hilarious. But despite that it goes really hard, especially lyrically. Feels like racial frustrations got the better of $ilkmoney, he certainly pulls no punches. Not sure I agree 100% with his view of the world, but I find the record to be fantastic lyrically. No fillers of course, a dense 30 minute listen.

Rounds by Four Tet
At first listen I though it wasn't nearly as good as There Is Love In You, but the more I listen, the more I love the weird, experimental direction Kieran Hebden tried here. If you want some mind-boggling electronic tunes, Rounds has plethora. It's gonna land on my 2000s chart (out this autumn™).

Straight, No Chaser by Thelonious Monk
Second listen (I think), and while it's not my favourite Monk, it's probably his technically most satisfying release. I just find some of the longer songs to drag a bit. It's still incredible though, just like pretty much everything I've heard from the man. His late 60s phase is often underappreciated, Straight No Chaser and Underground are top tier.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 07/06/2020 14:14
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Rounds by Four Tet
At first listen I though it wasn't nearly as good as There Is Love In You, but the more I listen, the more I love the weird, experimental direction Kieran Hebden tried here. If you want some mind-boggling electronic tunes, Rounds has plethora. It's gonna land on my 2000s chart (out this autumn™).

One of my favorite ambient albums. Will listen to this today while I try to get work done! lol
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 07/06/2020 20:57
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
One of my favorite ambient albums. Will listen to this today while I try to get work done! lol

It's perfect for working! I did the same thing a few days ago Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website