View previous topic :: View next topic
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/01/2021 13:00
  • Post subject:
[quote="Repo"]
meccalecca wrote:

Another one to throw on the queue. I've always been sweet on Costello's 70s Power Pop stuff, but could never get into his 80s stuff. Will check out Get Happy!! and this soon.

It's not quite Armed Forces, but this one still has a fair bit of power pop, and some good catchy hooks
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2021 16:15
  • Post subject:
Mecca Lecca Listens to
Robert Dimery's 1001 Albums You Must Hear Before You Die
before he dies

The Message by Grandmaster Flash & ...rious Five

Year: 1982
BEA Overall Rank: 3,529
BEA Year Rank: 58

What the book says: "The Message is an important milestone in hip-hip's history, displaying the key elements of lyrical delivery with breakbeats garnered from forgotten funk records."

My assessment: Opening with the upbeat electro-funk grooves of "She's Fresh", The Message may not be exactly what you'd expect if you're only familiar with the music world altering title track. Musically, the album may actually have more in common with something like Daft Punk than Kendrick Lamar, but that isn't to say it help set the foundation for the future of hip hop. This album is also just really enjoyable, even before "The Message" hits. And I'm so glad that they didn't open to record with the title track, because it hits so much deeper, coming in after all of the electro jams and soul ballads. Directly following "The Message," "The Adventures of Grandmaster Flash on the Wheel of Steel" is the perfect closer. The track is a showcase of early turntablism and the early Bronx DJ culture that birthed hip hop.

Is It Essential?: For sure. The Message marks the arrival of hip hop into mainstream culture. Far better hip hop records would follow, but it's impossible to argue with the historical significance of this one, even if the bulk of the significance rests on a single monumental track.

Favorite tracks: The Message, Scorpio, She's Fresh

Link

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2021 17:26
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

Is It Essential?: For sure. The Message marks the arrival of hip hop into mainstream culture. Far better hip hop records would follow, but it's impossible to argue with the historical significance of this one, even if the bulk of the significance rests on a single monumental track.

What would u rate the album though? Not just the single. If it's a 3 star album, can it it still be essential? I'm nitpicking. Obviously it's historically important (& really, really FUN!), and I'm about to go through this same sort of internal debate regarding ...

Kurtis Blow by Kurtis Blow

For me, it has to be five stars to be essential. But, that's my criteria. We'll see if Kurtis Blow ( and in 1982, The Message) jumps that hurdle.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2021 17:51
  • Post subject:
[quote="Repo"]
meccalecca wrote:

What would u rate the album though? Not just the single. If it's a 3 star album, can it it still be essential? I'm nitpicking. Obviously it's historically important (& really, really FUN!), and I'm about to go through this same sort of internal debate regarding ...

That's a tough question. This is why I have such a hard time rating anything at this point. It's absolutely not flawless in the way I'd want a 5 star album to be, but I think there's record that manage to be essential through the objective lens of historical relevance without matching my own subjective criteria for a 5 star album. For instance, I think the album deserves a spot in this book more than Arcade Fire's Neon Bible. I adore Neon Bible quite a bit more than The Message and would probably give it 5 stars. The Message just plays an essential role in the story of music history in a way that Neon Bible doesn't.

When I hit play, I was expecting to say that the title track is essential but the album isn't, and I could totally go that direction on another day, but I think the album as a whole is strong enough to be considered more than a great single and some filler.

I feel very similarly about that Kurtis Blow record, but I also haven't listened to it in a while.

Thinking critically about music is such a challenge.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/02/2021 18:05
  • Post subject:
[quote="meccalecca"]
Repo wrote:
meccalecca wrote:

That's a tough question. This is why I have such a hard time rating anything at this point. It's absolutely not flawless in the way I'd want a 5 star album to be, but I think there's record that manage to be essential through the objective lens of historical relevance without matching my own subjective criteria for a 5 star album. For instance, I think the album deserves a spot in this book more than Arcade Fire's Neon Bible. I adore Neon Bible quite a bit more than The Message and would probably give it 5 stars. The Message just plays an essential role in the story of music history in a way that Neon Bible doesn't.

When I hit play, I was expecting to say that the title track is essential but the album isn't, and I could totally go that direction on another day, but I think the album as a whole is strong enough to be considered more than a great single and some filler.

I feel very similarly about that Kurtis Blow record, but I also haven't listened to it in a while.

Thinking critically about music is such a challenge.

Really great points!!! Agree 100%!
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/03/2021 13:39
  • Post subject:
Mecca Lecca Listens to
before he dies

Pelican West by Haircut One Hundred

BEA Overall Rank: 9,206
BEA Year Rank: 153

What the book says: "The cover shot—of a bunch of happy, generally attractive youngsters lying on autumn leaves, most in chunky sweaters—and some of the cappuccino funk arrangements make Pelican West seem a little dated. Get past that and it is a hilarious, clever, intricate, enthusiastic record that retains tons of appeal.

My assessment: The term cappuccino funk couldn't be more fitting for this brand of bland new wave. It's interesting that they attempt to blend elements of samba into the sound of the time, but it just whitewashes anything resembling a groove. There are times when this hints at what could be decent jangle pop, but stylistic decisions like cheesy 80s sax gets in the way.

Does it deserve to be in the book?: Not at all. It's baffling how this record was chosen as one of the 1001 albums you must hear before you die. There are far better new wave records. It was a big enough album in the UK to go platinum, but it's hardly remembered as a smash hit.

Favorite tracks: Love Plus One, Fantastic Day

Link

• Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2021 13:48
  • Post subject:
Mecca Lecca Listens to
before he dies

The Number Of The Beast by Iron Maiden

BEA Overall Rank: 279
BEA Year Rank: 2

What the book says: "The unrelenting gallop of instant classics such as "Run To The Hills" and the unabashed escapism of the album's title track—spearheaded by Dickinson's soaring vocal theatrics—would send the album straight to the top of the British charts, breach the U.S. Top 40, and place the band on the brink of global superstardom."

My assessment: What a stark contrast it is to listen to this after Haircut 100. It was a strange time to be alive. I'm not a metalhead by any means. When I do listen to metal, my preferences lean more towards the slower, Sabbath-influenced stoner stuff rather the the faster riff-heavy metal. That being said, this album just rips. This sort of thing can easily sound like a ridiculous joke a la The Darkness, or like overly serious, masterbatory self-indulgence. Number of the Beast avoids both tropes. The songs are generally as succinct as 90s skate punk, but with far more theatrics.

Does it deserve to be in the book?: Obviously yes. It's one of the landmark metal albums released in the 1980s and about as fun as the genre gets. Bonus points for getting American Christian fundamentalists all hot and bothered.

Favorite tracks: Run to the Hills, Prisoner, Number of the Beast

Link

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2021 13:52
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

My assessment: What a stark contrast it is to listen to this after Haircut 100. It was a strange time to be alive. I'm not a metalhead by any means. When I do listen to metal, my preferences lean more towards the slower, Sabbath-influenced stoner stuff rather the the faster riff-heavy metal. That being said, this album just rips. This sort of thing can easily sound like a ridiculous joke a la The Darkness, or like overly serious, masterbatory self-indulgence. Number of the Beast avoids both tropes. The songs are generally as succinct as 90s skate punk, but with far more theatrics.

Does it deserve to be in the book?: Obviously yes. It's one of the landmark metal albums released in the 1980s and about as fun as the genre gets. Bonus points for getting American Christian fundamentalists all hot and bothered.

Love
  • Visit poster's website
Hayden

Canada

• Posted: 06/04/2021 13:57
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:

Does it deserve to be in the book?: Not at all. It's baffling how this record was chosen as one of the 1001 albums you must hear before you die. There are far better new wave records. It was a big enough album in the UK to go platinum, but it's hardly remembered as a smash hit.

Yeah, that's a... slightly random pick. Maybe it'll be removed eventually.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 06/04/2021 15:32
  • Post subject:
Hayden wrote:
meccalecca wrote:

Yeah, that's a... slightly random pick. Maybe it'll be removed eventually.

Yeah. I know there's been updates to the book in which albums have been cut in favor of new albums, but it looks like it's made the cut so far. The book in general is full of major head scratchers. No Four Tops, barely any Motown, no Ella, no Orbison, hardly any afrobeat or reggae, but they found room for 3 Dexys albums, 5 Byrds records, Limp Bizkit, Korn. But they also go ahead and please me with a Spacemen 3 album and 2 from Spiritualized. The book tries to cover a lot of different genres, but also has clear favorites, and glaring blindspots.
  • Visit poster's website