2023 End Of Year Lists PARTY!!! <Building 2023 Charts>

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2023 18:58
  • Post subject:
If anybody's looking for some great new/throwback jazz funk......
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2023 13:41
  • Post subject:
It's my favorite time of the Holiday Season, y'all! When all the music publications start releasing their End Of Year BEST ALBUM Lists. I just love that they do all the heavy lifting <aka listening> for me so that I can just sit back, sip some egg nog, and cherry pick some albums to listen to by my trusty old YouTube Yeule fire.

Last night I listened to some killer stuff from ....

Rat Saw God by Wednesday (US)

Paste's #1 Album of 2023. Anyone have any thoughts on this beast? Still acclimating to it, but it's definitely a worthy contender.

Will be fun to start building my own Top Twenty of '23 or so over the coming weeks as more lists drop! Twisted Evil

Anyone else geeking out on doing the same thing? Cool Would love to hear how others are approaching this special time of year! Very Happy

Last edited by Repo on 11/29/2023 17:18; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/29/2023 17:11
  • Post subject:
Radio Friendly Unit Shifters!
aka The Best Damn Hard Rock Album of 2023

But Here We Are by Foo Fighters

No album suited my summer better than this. Stuck in a bit of rut and ruminating a bit too much on the life I didn't get as opposed to the life I did, I needed something. Something to put that smile back on my face and that jaunt back in my springs. Thank you , Dave Grohl and your fellow Foo Fighters for giving me banger after banger of radio friendly Maximum AOR Hard Rock uplift. I love me some great AOR. And THIS is GREAT AOR. It was my bestie as I mowed the lawn and did the dishes countless times this Summer. It may just be the Foo Fighter's best album. I never really considered them too hard after their debut, but this is some of the best "Had a girl. Lost a girl. BUT I'm going to be just OK anyways!" music you'll ever hear.

Anyone else have a GREAT Hard Rock album that got them out of a rut this year? If so, hook me up! Cool

Chart Position: As I mentioned above, this album had quite the impact on me this Summer, and I LOVE Hard Rock. So probably an easy choice for my top ten of 2023. Still in the beginning phases of making this chart, BUT this is pretty fun & fantastic.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/29/2023 21:36
  • Post subject:
To answer a few of your most recent questions:
I'm working on my year chart the whole year and try to listen to each album at least twice, once when it's released and once at least after three months. And I put them in my playlists to listen on the train or in the car. Currently I'm at 89 albums so don't know if I'll make it to 100 this year.

I've got Foo Fighters also fairly high (number Cool and think it's one of their best in years.
Rat Saw God is indeed very good (at number 24) but I slightly prefer the other rats: Ratboys with The Window at 18.

For the rest hardrock/metal is not very high on my list this year but I've got Uriah Heep and Overkill.
But otherwise no lack of harder albums though not in the least my absolute favorite of the year:

Drag On Girard by Purling Hiss
Mike Polizze rules.

And second:

New York City by The Men

And third and not so hard but fabulous as well for people who like good songs, good guitars and some close harmony:

Don't Look Back by Hurry (US)

All three albums which deserve a much higher ranking.

And currently I'm listening to an album which hasn't been officially released yet (1 December is the date) but of which all tracks in a number of versions have been released as singles:

i/o by Peter Gabriel
I wasn't really following him any more these last years but this one seems to be a very good one.
Currently at track 4: Stuff Coming out, Stuff going in, I'm just a part of everything (from the title track: the Bright-side mix is the best).
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/30/2023 11:41
  • Post subject:
I'm still shocked that screamo, a distinctly 00s genre, peaked this year with Ostraca. Sure, screamo bands are still going strong and the scene is in a good place, but I didn't expect to hear something so good.

Disaster by Ostraca

Another strong contender is an album I was enamored with earlier this year and I hope y'all have heard it in the album listening club thread.

Les Égarés by Sissoko / Ségal / Parisien / Peirani

3 great lives, all contenders for the best music I've heard this year.

Live At Red Rocks '22 by King Gizzard &...ard Wizard

Live In Brooklyn 2011 by Sonic Youth

Link

Repo pick one and enjoy, good luck Very Happy

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/30/2023 21:44
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:

I've got Foo Fighters also fairly high (number Cool and think it's one of their best in years.
Rat Saw God is indeed very good (at number 24) but I slightly prefer the other rats: Ratboys with The Window at 18.

Gimmie Indie Rock

The Window by Ratboys

Paste #5, Dihansse #18

Great rec! Solid little indie rock gem that had me singing-a-long. Listened to it three times over the past couple of days, and it definitely scratches that indie rock itch in the vein of Waxahatchee and Speedy Ortiz if falling a bit short of Helium God-tier level.

Chart Position: Just a bit too generic to make my Top Twenty. More middle chart level of greatness. But definitely solid indie rock!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/02/2023 22:37
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Live In Brooklyn 2011 by Sonic Youth

Repo pick one and enjoy, good luck Very Happy

I almost feel like this is cheating. lol. BUT, if the Dead can do it, why not my beloved Sonic Youth. It's Saturday afternoon here in chicago. The whole city is watching college football games. And I'm sprawled out on the couch realizing that I should listen to more live albums. lol.

Great rec, Zep! \m/
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2023 16:43
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

Paste's #1 Album of 2023. Anyone have any thoughts on this beast? Still acclimating to it, but it's definitely a worthy contender.

It's been fun watching Wednesday blow up. They were one of the first local Asheville bands that caught my attention when I moved here, along with Secret Shame and Indigo De Souza. It's been crazy seeing them go from a little indie band no one knew to making year end lists. The record rips, and lyrics are great.

fun fact: MJ Lenderman's dad is my doctor.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2023 15:55
  • Post subject:
meccalecca wrote:
Repo wrote:

It's been fun watching Wednesday blow up. They were one of the first local Asheville bands that caught my attention when I moved here, along with Secret Shame and Indigo De Souza. It's been crazy seeing them go from a little indie band no one knew to making year end lists. The record rips, and lyrics are great.

fun fact: MJ Lenderman's dad is my doctor.

Ha! Not surprised. You have the best life, Mecca! Keep crushing it!
When I dream, Asheville is definitely one of those places where I live! Laughing

Have you caught the new Tirzah album ....

Trip9love...??? by Tirzah

Listened last night. Definitely will place high on my end of year list.
  • Visit poster's website
meccalecca
Voice of Reason

United States

• Posted: 12/04/2023 18:58
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

Ha! Not surprised. You have the best life, Mecca! Keep crushing it!
When I dream, Asheville is definitely one of those places where I live! Laughing

Have you caught the new Tirzah album ....

Listened last night. Definitely will place high on my end of year list.

Haha. Not sure about best life, but I did get to shoot Sunn O))) last night.

I haven't gotten to the Tirzah album, but it's high on the queue of stuff I need to listen to this week
  • Visit poster's website