I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2024 22:41
  • Post subject:

Blue by Joni Mitchell

February 10, 2024

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈ ◈◈◈◈◈

Quote:
Deserves all the accolades it gets. Helps to have one of the most angelic voices ever.

Rating: 99/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/11/2024 05:30
  • Post subject:

Dronevil by ボリス [Boris]

February 10, 2024

Quote:
An important note: I am specifically review the Dronevil -Final- version because I believe this is the definitive version of the album. It was released as a 2CD set in 2006 in Japan only. The intent is to set up two different stereo systems and to play each CD simultaneously (slight variations in timing are expected to have each experience different). I merged the two tracks on Audacity and am basing my review on this format.

Boris does what Boris does best: create a massive sounding drone metal album with some experimentation. The first track is more of a prelude than anything. No climactic blasts of drone on this track. Feels like all buildup before track 2, where the album really kicks in. It builds up to massive waves of drone the pummel you until a brief calm, then hit you again until the close. The final track also follows a "build-up to climax" sort of formula and finishes off with some gentle acoustic notes. Sorry for the very bare-bones explanation of the album structure, but it's simply that. The enjoyment of this record comes from the sheer power. The drone is crushing and wide in sound. Boris impressively captures the size of their sound into an audio format. Even listening to the MP3 forms of the track can capture how massive this album sounds. A true "Amplifier Worship" record.

Rating: 90/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/12/2024 22:16
  • Post subject:

Monster Movie by Can

February 12, 2024

Quote:
The sudden passing of Damo is so unfortunate. This event makes me want to revisit CAN's best albums. Monster Movie does not yet feature Damo as the vocalist for CAN, but their debut is an excellent start off for the band's career. It's 4 tracks long, feature the behemoth 20 minute closer "Yoo Doo Right." What's impressive is that while their layout feels somewhat skeletal, they sound so massive. I think CAN's drumwork is underappreciated because it contributes to their massive presentation. It's krautrock, so the music is fairly experimental. I do think their other experimental work is more interesting. Some moments on here feels like they are meandering, expectedly on the 20 minute track. However, there is an intrinsic groove to this experimentation that makes up for it. Essential listen for anyone looking to get into krautrock!

Rating: 84/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2024 00:23
  • Post subject:

Willie Nelson & Family by Willie Nelson

February 12, 2024

Quote:
What an underrated entry in the Willie Nelson chronology. I'll admit I haven't dug too deep into Willie Nelson's catalogue, but if you were to bring up the most talked about Willie records you typically don't see Willie Nelson & Family be mentioned. I almost didn't include it in this project because when I first heard it it was after the establishment of this project, but the weather outside matched the album cover so I felt like spinning my copy-- and WOW! What an emotional country record. The orchestral backdrop is so rich and Willie's voice cuts so deep. I love how the record sounds. Sure, the VMP pressing I have is likely contributing to the presentation, but this really is a lush record. The opener grips my heart and the emotional rollar coaster goes on from there. Seriously glad I revisited this amazing piece.

Rating: 90/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2024 01:47
  • Post subject:

American Football by American Football

February 12, 2024

Quote:
Another album that has started to become meme-ified. I do think it's ultimately a compliment to its enduring legacy and applicability to different generations. Had to give this one a couple listens in different settings just to ensure that, yes, I do love this album. There's a review by user fourtyfourtwentyone that wrote "the guitar players play heartstrings" and I don't think I can write a better review of this album if I tried my best. The definitive midwest emo album. It's tearful, yet nothing is overtly depressive like depressive black metal. The way the glistening guitars and the strained vocals carry feels tearful. But the twinkling feeling of the album reminds me of walking in the neighborhood during a summer night with the street lamps on. Yes, "Never Meant" is a great track, but we shouldn't forget the other masterpiece tracks on here. The closer is also very under-appreciated. Possible top 100 entry for me.

Rating: 96/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/13/2024 02:53
  • Post subject:

Dark Space II by Darkspace

February 12, 2024

Quote:
The first sequel. However, this one is different because it is two monolithic atmospheric black metal tracks that have moments of doom metal connected between a noisy dark ambient piece. To be honest, the album feels more like an extended play, definitely not because of duration, but because it simply takes off from the first album like it was originally apart of it. Still excellent dark art.

Rating: 88/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2024 03:49
  • Post subject:

The Sound Of Perseverance by Death (Metal)

February 13, 2024

Quote:
I'm pretty set that this is either my favorite Death record or, at the very least, 2nd place. While Leprosy was primitive and unhinged, The Sound of Perseverance is a soul crusher (get it?). Taking into context that this is Chuck Schuldiner's last album alive, some of the lyrical content is pretty power (like "Soul Crusher" for example!). I was also recently informed that Chuck wanted to form a power metal band, which sort of explains the sound of these guitars. They soar more than the other Death releases, in the same vein of power metal. Ending with a cover of "Painkiller" is honestly one hell of a closer. I love how everything sounds on this album. The guitars carry weight, the vocals are killer, and the drums are crushing. Near-perfect death metal and I fantastic send-off for one of the best bands ever.

Rating: 98/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/14/2024 03:57
  • Post subject:

Dark Space III by Darkspace

February 13, 2024

Quote:
Holy shit! This was like listening to the album again for the first time! As I mentioned, I have almost no memory of Darkspace's discography because it has been several years, but this is what I'm talking about! Absolutely relentless, terrifying atmospheric black metal. While the first two albums gave off a "lost in space" vibe, Darkspace III gave off a "we have made contact" vibe which is terrifying in its own way. It's a behemoth 79-minuter, but it's packed with punishing cosmic black metal. When it's not absolutely destroying you, you get chilling dark ambient moments that just sound so good. This revisitation is undoubtedly making me excited for their new album!

Rating: 97/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2024 14:39
  • Post subject:

Winterkaelte by Paysage d'Hiver

February 17, 2024

Quote:
In my review of Paysage d'Hiver, I talked about how the album was a nice mix of misanthropy and winter. I think Winterkaelte is an even better synthesis of that blend. Especially on the first couple tracks, the rapid guitars under low fidelity creates such a blizzard-y effect and the vocals are so angry. I think this embodies the spirit of Paysage d'Hiver the most out of his whole discography. My only wish is, like for Im Wald, more ambient. However, this album does max out the length of a typical CD, so that's why it's limited as such. I think the beginning ambient piece on the track "Finsternis" is pure magic. Would love more of that from him.

The last post on Paysage d'Hiver's Facebook page is a painting of a mountain with the caption "Something's brewing..." This was posted in November 2021. Whatever project he is focusing on, I hope he takes his time perfecting it and it includes some beautiful ambient to compliment the black metal.

Rating: 97/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2024 17:18
  • Post subject:

Forlatt by Vàli

February 17, 2024

Quote:
It's been a warm winter so I am taking advantage of all the cold and snowy days by listening to the "coldest" and "snowiest" albums in this project queue. Once spring and summer starts to come around, I expect the log to reflect the weather. I will sometimes restrain myself from listening to my favorite albums if the weather isn't right.

On that note, this morning was a beautiful snowfall with the sun peaking through. Figured it's as best a setting as ever to listen to Vali's Forlatt. It's a raw, like on the level of Nick Drake's Pink Moon raw, Norwegian dark folk album that has incredibly beautiful compositions. It's borderline fairytale sounding. The cover accurately reflects the imagery this album can invoke: snow covered forests in beautiful sunlight. I can only imagine how this album feels when played in a cabin in a snow-covered mountain forest. "Dypt inne i skogen" is a particular highlight because it's impressively uplifting. I get these sudden urges to go hiking in mountains (which I can never fulfill since I don't like near mountains). I find myself spinning my vinyl copy at least once a winter because it's so essential for the season. If I had to offer criticism, some of the songs feel rather unfinished. There is some novelty in that, but the musical shifts in some tracks feel rather abrupt and this doesn't feel like the genre where that works out, in my opinion.

Rating: 94/100