I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2024 03:18
  • Post subject:

Going Places by Yellow Swans

March 17, 2024

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈ ◈◈◈◈◈

Quote:
I know my rating is fairly high, but even then I wish I liked this album more. It's so pretty in some ways and so hypnogogic in others. Similar to what I said about Harmony In Ultraviolet, it evokes difficult to explain emotions that, while I am tempted to use, don't think "transcendental" or "liminal" will suffice. It's music on an elevated plane of existence. While there is a cohesive sound to all of the tracks, they don't sequence together super well. I think this album is the spliced extracts of the best parts of a noise jam. Which is cool, but part of my enjoyment of records is the cohesive feel to everything, including sequencing, and it falls kinda short. But that's not that big of a con. My enjoyment kind of maxes out at a rough 9/10 and I can't articulate why. It just doesn't reach that threshold that something like Harmony In Ultraviolet or bloweyelashwish can do.

I feel like I only reported criticisms of this album. Let me at least end this review with it's an amazing record and you should check it out.

Rating: 91/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2024 03:20
  • Post subject:

Kill 'Em All by Metallica

March 22, 2024

Quote:
This was an incredibly interesting revisit for me because I had the unhealthiest obsession with Metallica when I was in 7th grade. I thought their music was infallibly perfect and nothing swayed me otherwise— except for growing up. Now that I have a bit better view of Metallica in the context of music history, it’s interesting to see how my perspective has changed

I still really enjoyed this album. But with the metal listens I’ve accumulated under my belt over the years, it doesn’t feel as raw and viscous to me. The bite to James Hetfield’s vocals doesn’t seem as sharp to me anymore. Instead, I get filled with more of a party sensation with this release, which seems to be an underlying feeling for the foundation of thrash metal. At this age, I LOVE “Anesthesia (Pulling Teeth).” It’s an almost psychedelic bass instrumental which, for metal music in 1983, is so cool. The moments that mildly turn me off on this record are the more cheesy metal flares and riffs that seem stereotypical at the time. Like “Jump In the Fire” screams that. It makes sense why it’s there in context of music chronology, but that doesn’t mean I have to like it. Aside from that, it’s still a kick ass record over 40 years later.

Rating: 83/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2024 03:21
  • Post subject:

Ride The Lightning by Metallica

March 24, 2024

Quote:
What an impressive leap. While Kill 'Em All brought a level of extreme metal music the world had not seen yet in 1983, Ride the Lightning does it again, but better. "Fight Fire With Fire" is one hell of an opener, with the blazing low-tuned guitars and apocalyptic lyrics. I also think "Ride the Lightning" is one of my favorite metal songs of all time, with the guitar solos in the middle portion of the track easily being one of my favorites of all time. Also, who can talk about this album without mentioning "Fade to Black?" A powerful song about a man contemplating, and then attempting, suicide. Pretty chilling given that this is 1983 and I'd imagine making a song like this at the time was still taboo. I think "Trapped Under Ice" is under appreciated. It's crazy fast and classic thrash metal with some impressive guitar solos. This album is legitimately all killer and no filler, with the only weak spot being "Escape." I don't get a filler feeling. It's just the chorus sounds kind of odd in context of the rest of the album. It gives a sort of 70s arena rock feel, versus the rest of the album which is relentless trash music. Not even a bad song, just a weird outlier. Other than that, it's a near perfect metal album. Maybe my favorite Metallica album.

Rating: 96/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2024 03:22
  • Post subject:

Get Up With It by Miles Davis

March 26, 2024

Quote:
What a beast of a jazz album. First of all, I think it's pretty cool that they were able to cram two hours of awesome jazz music on two vinyl discs, which generally holds 80-90 minutes. Two sides are 30+ minute tracks alone! Second, this is yet another example of what sets Miles Davis apart from other jazz artists: he crafts an entire scene-- an entire world. He is far from the only jazz artist to do a double LP release or implement a big band. However, his albums sound like their own sonic universe, whereas other jazz artists, including the other big names like John Coltrane, Charles Mingus, Eric Dolphy, etc, invoke a mental imagery only of the band playing. Like I said in my Bitches Brew review, not necessarily a bad thing and can be an overall positive for a lot of jazz releases. But come one, no on does it better than Miles Davis when it comes to creating their own artistic world!

Get Up With It has sometimes been referred to as a compilation because it is composed of recordings from different recording sessions dated from 1970 to 1974. While it may not be recorded in a single, concise session, I don't think that's a fair way to determine if if a release should be considered an album vs a compilation. All of the songs were previously unreleased and they do feel quite cohesive. Get Up With It impressively goes all over the place while maintaining that cohesiveness, which is likely a side effect that the songs are from different recording sessions. It goes from ambient jazz, to jazz fusion, to jazz funk, to jazz rock. Hell, it even gets into blues. The terrain of the geography varies, but the continent is still the same. It's an album that perfectly spaces you out, but also engages you with hard-driven grooves. Only Miles Davis can craft so many perfect albums. Add another one to the list!

Rating: 100/100 Applause
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 03/31/2024 03:23
  • Post subject:

Building A Better World by 猫 シ Corp...能力者

March 30, 2024

Quote:
I guess my memory served me wrong. I thought this was a more ethereal and lush ambient release, but it's fairly restrained. It sounds really pretty and I think Catsystem Corp. & t e l e p a t h work great together, but it's not as immersive as other great ambient releases-- even compared to those within the vaporwave realm like t e l e p a t h's other project 2 8 1 4. This album is best for background music, but it's very very good background music at that.

Rating: 75/100
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2024 16:47
  • Post subject:
so far...

Floating Into The Night by Julee Cruise - 100/100
In A Silent Way by Miles Davis - 100/100
Bitches Brew by Miles Davis - 100/100
Get Up With It by Miles Davis - 100/100
Bigtyme Recordz Vol II: All Screwed Up by DJ Screw - 100/100
Pink Moon by Nick Drake - 100/100
Blonde On Blonde by Bob Dylan - 100/100
Deathconsciousness by Have A Nice Life - 100/100
'77 Live by 裸のラリーズ [Les Rallizes Dénudés] - 100/100
Bloweyelashwish by Lovesliescrushing - 100/100
Souvlaki by Slowdive - 100/100

Obscura by Gorguts - 99/100
Harmony In Ultraviolet by Tim Hecker - 99/100
Blue by Joni Mitchell - 99/100
Niggaz of Destruction by N.O.D. - 99/100
Selected Ambient Works 85-92 by Aphex Twin - 98/100
Substrata by Biosphere - 98/100
On The Corner by Miles davis - 98/100
The Sound of Perseverance by Death - 98/100
Solid State Survivor by Yellow Magic Orchestra - 98/100
Crescent by John Coltrane Quartet - 97/100
Dark Space III by Dark Space - 97/100
Min Tid Skal Komme by Fleurety - 97/100
Winterkaelte by Paysage d'Hiver - 97/100

Psychostasia by Adramelech - 96/100
American Football by American Football - 96/100
Ride The Lightning by Metallica - 96/100
Im Wald by Paysage d'Hiver - 96/100
Lotus by Santana - 96/100
Thrust by Herbie Hancock - 95/100
Split by Lush - 95/100
Paysage d'Hiver by Paysage d'Hiver - 95/100
Deep Frieze by Sleep Research Facility - 94/100
Forlatt by Vàli - 94/100
A Love Supreme by John Coltrane - 93/100
I Don't Like Shit... by Earl Sweatshirt - 93/100
The Bends by Radiohead - 93/100
Schattengang by Paysage d'Hiver - 92/100
Hin-Fort by Trist - 92/100
Going Places by Yellow Swans - 91/100
Dronevil by ボリス [Boris] - 90/100
Dark Space I by Dark Space - 90/100
Headhunters by Herbie Hancock - 90/100
The Blue Yusef Lateef by Yusef Lateef - 90/100
Willie Nelson & Family by Willie Nelson - 90/100

Atrocity Exhibition by Danny Brown - 89/100
Dark Space II by Dark Space - 88/100
Strange Celestial Road by Sun Ra - 87/100
City Of Syrup by Big Moe - 86/100
Midtown 120 Blues by DJ Sprinkles - 86/100
Nacht by Paysage d'Hiver - 86/100
Microgreavity by Biosphere - 85/100
Cosmic Music by John & Alice Coltrane - 85/100
Flying Saucer Attack by Flying Saucer Attack - 85/100

Monster Movie by Can - 84/100
Genesis by Elvin Jones - 84/100
Kill 'Em All by Metallica - 83/100
Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka by Nile - 83/100
Heart of the Ages by In The Woods - 82/100
Alcachofa by Villalobos - 81/100
Feels Like You by Whirr - 79/100
Light Extracts by Eivind Aarset ‎- 76/100
Nepenthe by Julianna Barwick - 75/100
Building A Better World by 猫 シ Corp. [Catsystem Corp.] & t e l e p a t h テレパシー能力者 - 75/100

the BOLD ones are highly rated by you albums that I can't say I have ever really even heard of! Added top long and ever-growing queue. The ITALICIZED ones are ones I have heard of and have even circled around like a vulture in the sky almost ready to listen but don't recall ever making the dive. Shall pull those higher on queue.

Great project. Love seeing that Miles Davis is such a GOD. And the one Dylan entry gets its due 100/100 Sad

I am a bit weird about lists and stuff and I was bored and liking the journal so I ranked the albums all albums spoken of thus far on here. Feel free if you have a similar mind, to use my list. Alphabetical within same numerical grade groups... chronological in the case of some artist name and multiple albums with same grade (so far only applies to the cavalcade of Miles' Masterpieces!)

I am glad (weirdly glad) That you got a 91/100 in recently. I was weirdly fixated on how there was that hole in the gradings lol.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 04/02/2024 17:04
  • Post subject:
I LOVE that you did this, Mercury!!! A prefect little index for a great thread! Thanks!!! Applause Applause Applause

And this...

Mercury wrote:
I am glad (weirdly glad) That you got a 91/100 in recently. I was weirdly fixated on how there was that hole in the gradings lol.

... is just hysterical! As a fellow nerd, mad respect. Love
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/07/2024 22:40
  • Post subject:
LOL! Thank you both! Mercury that index is awesome!!
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/07/2024 22:41
  • Post subject:

Show No Mercy by Slayer

March 31, 2024

Quote:
Of the two major thrash releases in 1983, the other being Kill 'Em All, this is certainly the superior. It’s blistering fast and the bass and drumming absolutely elevate the already perfect guitar work. If I had to list one con about this record, I just don’t care for the power metal-esque vocal style of some of the tracks. Thrash metal classic otherwise.

Rating: 95/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 04/07/2024 22:41
  • Post subject:

Morbid Tales by Celtic Frost

April 4, 2024

Quote:
Awesome early thrash than leans into both black and death metal. However, it’s too short of an album to have a track like “Danse Macabre.” If it was much longer it would work or even enhance the album, but 24 minutes and having a 3 minute skit/instrumental track doesn’t really work in my opinion.

Rating: 80/100