Album of the day (#3889): Piece Of Mind by Iron Maiden

View previous topic :: View next topic
albummaster
Janitor

Site Admin

• Posted: 08/12/2021 20:00
  • Post subject: Album of the day (#3889): Piece Of Mind by Iron Maiden
Today's album of the day

Piece Of Mind by Iron Maiden (View album | Buy this album)

Year: 1983.
Overall rank: 1,088
Average rating: 80/100 (from 440 votes).

Tracks:
1. Where Eagles Dare
2. Revelations
3. Flight Of Icarus
4. Die With Your Boots On
5. The Trooper
6. Still Life
7. Quest For Fire
8. Sun And Steel
9. To Tame A Land

About album of the day: The BestEverAlbums.com album of the day is the album appearing most prominently in member charts in the previous 24 hours. If an album, or artist, has previously been selected within a x day period, the next highest album is picked instead (and so on) to ensure a bit of variety. A full history of album of the day can be viewed here.
  • Visit poster's website
DommeDamian
Imperfect, sensitive Aspie with a melody addiction

Denmark

• Posted: 08/13/2021 07:01
  • Post subject:
My favorite Iron Maiden album and one of my favorites in metal. It's badass.

My music:
- www.hyperfollow.com/dommedamian
Spotify: ----------------------------------------------------↓
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
UofTBlues

Canada

• Posted: 08/13/2021 11:11
  • Post subject:
I'm an Iron Maiden Fan & this is definitely in my favorite top 3 of their studio releases. Piece of Mind is the first album w/ amazing new drummer Nicko McBrain. Standout songs are Where Eagles Dare, Flight of Icarus & classic track The Trooper. The entire album rocks & what's more is they are still rocking & releasing a new album next month. UP THE IRONS!
  • Visit poster's website
svk4ever

Germany

• Posted: 08/13/2021 21:42
  • Post subject:
In 1983 I thought this album is a bit dissapointing after the overwhelming "The Number Of The Beast".

Nevertheless... the singles "Flight Of Icarus" and "The Trooper" worked well and stood the test of time.

With "Still Life" and "Dune (To Tame A Land)" there are two of my alltime Maiden-faves on this album.

It took me more than twenty years to discover, how brilliant "Revelations" is. To be honest, many times Maiden played that song live, I took the chance to get a beer. Shame on me... but better late than never, I got into the track and today for me this one comes very close to the both ones mentioned above.

Well... "Where Eagles Dare" is a typical uptempo opener for Maiden, and like in most cases the track is okay, but at least with the release of the next uptempo opener no longer worth to mention...

The rest: "Die With Your Boots On" / "Quest For Fire" / "Sun And Steel" - also okay... not bad, and a lot of artists never released songs of that quality, but you won't miss any of this tracks in the Maiden universe, if they would have been never released.

Maiden released so many great albums, and "Piece Of Mind" is definitly one of them... Maybe the strength of the record is, that you'll never get tired of it and the songs are aging much better, than for example a lot of the tracks on "Fear Of The Dark".
If you'd ask me for my favorite Maiden-albums, I suppose I would name spontanously "Somewhere In Time", "Dance Of Death", "Number Of The Beast", "Seventh Son Of A Seventh Son" and the debut, but "Piece Of Mind" would deserve it as well...
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 08/13/2021 22:36
  • Post subject:
For a long time it was my least favourite 80s Maiden album. I was wrong. Sure it has some filler and The Trooper is pretty overrated, but Where Eagles Dare/Revelations alone should make this album a standout. To Tame a Land and Sun And Steel are both among the best album cuts while Flight of Icarus is a lost classic that is for some reason neglected in the live setlists (probably too tough for Bruce to handle nowadays).

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2021 04:59
  • Post subject:
My favorite Maiden.
Nicko McBain was definitely an upgrade on drums moving this ahead of its predecessor. The opener is one of the most killer songs with one of the most killer riffs in all of metal.
  • Visit poster's website
AAL2014

United States

• Posted: 08/14/2021 21:55
  • Post subject:
The classic Maiden albums are simply soul food to me. Powerslave is my favorite but damn it if this one isn’t almost as good. I’ll take this over Number of the Beast personally, I’ve always resonated more with Nicko’s somewhat angular drumming. No disrespect to the great Clive Burr, I just feel McBrain completes the Maiden sound.

Where Eagles Dare is one of the best opening songs in metal, Sun and Steel is one of the catchiest choruses in the band’s catalog, and at one point I remember calling Revelations my favorite song ever. I don’t think that’s true now but I still think it’s a masterpiece and a fantastic track 2.

Love it.