Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 192, 193, 194, 195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 04/24/2023 03:11
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
(I have no interest reading back several pages to see what my last assigned album was and so forth).

No need, here it is Smile

baystateoftheart wrote:
Maybe this will make your girl group chart:

A Go Go by Dara Puspita

Skinny
birdman_handrub.gif

• Posted: 04/24/2023 06:47
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
LedZep wrote:
We should probably decide between this thread and https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...;start=20. Doesn't make sense to have both active imo, it's the same game.

Edit: should also say that I prefer this version of the game. Nothing against Gowi Very Happy It's just a better concept because this cannot happen.
Quote:
Also a slight problem with this game is the timing. If 2 people listen to the same album and review it in roughly the same time, what happens then?

I think above you is simpler (albeit less successful) and less convoluted. Lot of people over the last 5+ years have used this thread wrong or been too confused how it functions (I have no interest reading back several pages to see what my last assigned album was and so forth). I have no problem with either thread being around, but I do not intend to give up on the one I made going forward. Tournaments been dominating this subforum too long.

Sweet manifesto. Where do I sign up for the revolution?
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 04/24/2023 08:16
  • Post subject:

Still Life by Van Der Graaf Generator

This was a pretty fun prog album. Honestly I've not yet connected to Van Der Graaf Generator's music like I have to some other 70s prog, but despite that, it was a very enjoyable listen. Or rather multiple listens throughout the few months until I've finally decided to write an official short review. So yeah, not much else to say, cool stuff, will listen to again, for now it's 7.5/10

Edit: forgot the album, sorry Bay!

Unit Structures by Cecil Taylor

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 04/29/2023 19:17
  • Post subject:

Unit Structures by Cecil Taylor

Not my first time hearing this, but because I didn't fully get it initially, definitely worth another go. That said, I'm not sure I can claim to get it now, but I gave it the old college try. Taylor's liner notes make a perfect accompaniment to listening: complex, inscrutable, poetic, free jazz in written form, the thesis statement of Unit Structures. As for the music, Steps is a great track and easily my favorite on the album (1 > 3 > 2 >> 4). The title track is also great. The album tails off a bit at the end, but this is an engaging listening experience throughout, full of instrumental virtuosity, and clearly an example of controlled and artistically purposeful chaos. It's grown on me enough for a light 4/5.

Try this:

Wake Up Everybody by Harold Melvin &...Blue Notes
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/15/2023 08:31
  • Post subject:

Wake Up Everybody by Harold Melvin &...Blue Notes
Based on the year, the band name and the cover, I was expecting a jazz fusion album (for some reason). And the first track's opening can honestly pass as a fusion album intro lol. Ofc I was (mildly) surprised, even disappointed, when Teddy Pendergrass started crooning. However, it turns out Wake Up Everybody is a blast. The first 4 songs especially: 2 hits and 2 other strong cuts. On the second listen, the title track/opener with its laid back, repetitive (in a good groovy way) jam was the best highlight. Overall a very competent and enjoyable Philly soul record, and the only thing stopping me from loving it even more is that soul oldies still aren't exactly my style, with a few notable exceptions. But I'm slowly getting there, thanks for the education Bay Very Happy 7.5/10

Let's see what you think about one of this year's best albums (imo). Iirc, you like Ross From Friends, Burial and all that good stuff, so this might be right up your alley.

Good Lies by Overmono

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 08/26/2023 20:08
  • Post subject:

Good Lies by Overmono

I really dig this album. Great production, cool textures, immersive atmosphere. Vibes. The one sticking point for me is the vocals and their processing. While not bad, the quality is uneven and sometimes subtracts from the instrumentals instead of adding to them. Although that prevents me from placing this alongside the best albums in the genre, it's a very good and fun listen that I'll almost certainly return to. 3.5/5.

Here's another classic soul LP:

The Young Mods' Forgotten Story by The Impressions
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/01/2023 15:52
  • Post subject:

The Young Mods' Forgotten Story by The Impressions
Ok I obviously just love everything Curtis Mayfield. From what I've read, he was undoubtedly the driving force behind The Impressions during their most fruitful era and wrote all of their hits (and all the songs on this album). Overall an excellent soul record, though maybe not as profound/developed as his peak work. Still, I feel really compelled to return to this (and the other Curtis Mayfield work) more than the average soul record. The songwriting is top notch, there are several hits and several very good album cuts with no bad ones. It's a bit short at 25 minutes. Not that it matters much, I like short and consistent albums. 8/10

Additionally, I went back and ranked all soul albums you've recommended me in this thread, Bay. Relistened to some of the singles and stronger songs as well, a fun mini-project.

What Color Is Love
Back To The World
The Baby Huey Story
The Young Mods' Forgotten Story
Come to my Garden
The Ice Man Cometh
Back Stabbers
Wake Up Everybody
The Dionne Warwick Collection

Here's some Sonic Youth for you

Dirty by Sonic Youth

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2023 03:49
  • Post subject:

Dirty by Sonic Youth

My second listen after trying this out and loving it a couple years ago. I can't pretend this revisit was particularly focused, as it occurred while driving on the highway through heavy rain. But to make up for that, I read the lyrics after. The lyricism is very solid, often strong: sometimes poetic, sometimes incisive, and sometimes both. In terms of both the non-lyrical aspects of songwriting and the band's instrumental chops, Dirty is an unmitigated success. This all adds up to simply a great record. It continues their still heavy and noisy while more accessible sound from Goo, but in my view doesn't quite reach the same heights as its predecessor. Swimsuit Issue and Youth Against Fascism are sadly still highly relevant over three decades later. Essential listening. 4/5.

Try this next:

Ode To Billie Joe by Bobbie Gentry
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2023 05:07
  • Post subject:

Beats And Breaks From The Flower Patch by Kitty Craft

I know that I must have heard something before from this album, because I felt like I had from the first track. Totally fits a wonderful vibe that I can connect with immediately. This album will surely get repeat listens from me. The blend of downtempo/hip hop beats and chill singer/songwriter vocals is unique enough to carve out a niche for itself. There are a few things I can think of that fit the mold, but not many that do the same thing to the same successful degree.

Listen to some Oingo Boingo.

Nothing To Fear by Oingo Boingo
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 09/21/2023 05:38
  • Post subject:
Kitty to Kitty btw. Mr. Green
  • Visit poster's website