My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  123 ... 676869 ... 193194195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
And two similar album of 1966:

An album of my collection I need to realisten/rescore:

The Monkees by The Monkees
They were dismissed for not being real artist bit oh boy there are some very good songs to be found on this album of which Last Train To Clarksville and Theme from The Monkees are among my most favorite songs ever. There is a bit of filler but overall this is a good album.

And then one of the 1965 albums on my wishlist:

For Certain Because... by The Hollies
These are real artists and this is their first of a string of very good albums with especially of course Stop, Stop, Stop as the headline song but Pay You Back With Interest is also fantastic. I'm again remembered how similar their harmonics sound like the Posies (of course rather the other way round), one of my all-time favorite bands.

Although of the two albums the one of the Hollies is overall a bit better the two best songs on The Monkees are so good they make this latter one win so the two albums resp make it to the 14th and 17th rank on my 1966 year chart.
  • Quote

Here Comes The Night by Them

This one is from the same year and has both Gloria and Here Comes The Night. Maybe you would prefer it?
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:

Here Comes The Night by Them

This one is from the same year and has both Gloria and Here Comes The Night. Maybe you would prefer it?

Thx but this is the us release so I prefer to stick with the original uk version although the us version is of course objectively better
  • Quote
For 1967 I have chosen the following two albums.

An album I own I absolutely wanted to review the score of:

The Doors by The Doors
This album is just filled with classics. Light My Fire has long been my favorite songs ever and there is not a weak song there. I need to review many other albums like VU as well but for now this one rises to the number one spot of the year.

And why not another album of the Hollies off my wishlist and which I only found on Youtube:

Evolution by The Hollies
lots more experimental than their earlier albums and sometimes there is a kind of silliness in some of the tracks (Water On The Brain, Rain On The Window) which doesn't really help appreciating them. Overall not a bad album but nothing more and now holds the 25th spot on my 1967 year list.
And btw I listened to the UK version of the album which doesn't feature the Carrie-Anne mentioned on the cover.
  • Quote
For 1968 these were my 2 choices:

An album I already owned:

Beggars Banquet by The Rolling Stones
You can't go wrong with this one because Sympathy For The Devil and Street Fighting Man are on it and also No Expectations, Jigsaw Puzzle and Stray Cat Blues are very good. Not all the tracks are top but still a classic. But I upped the scores of some of the tracks so I moved it up from somewhere at the bottom of my 1968 top 20 to the sixth rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Release Of An Oath by The Electric Prunes
This is a very sterile attempt to marry classical/religious music with progrock and the strangest thing about it that it's one of the shortest prog albums you'll ever hear. But not really my taste.

So it's very clear which one is the best of the two
  • Quote
The two albums for 1969 I chose were:

Album I already own:

Tommy by The Who
This is a very uneven album with some wonderful track but as is usual on many rock opera's/concept albums also a lot of fairly pompous filler. But all in all an album not be missed and deserves a place in any record collection also mine.

Album on my wishlist:

Songs For A Tailor by Jack Bruce
I had expected more of this album: nothing special
  • Quote
My 2 choices of 1970:

In my collection:

Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek & The Dominos
If ever there was a classic album this is one. The first three tracks are classics and then Little Wing and especially Layla with its fantastic outro still have to come. This album presents this superband's own take on the Blues (just listen to Key To The Highway) and this is just how I like them. One of my favorite albums ever and jumps over Deep Purple In Rock to the first rank of the year.

On my wishlist:

Gasoline Alley by Rod Stewart
One of his first albums after the Faces and mainly consists of fairly original covers. Deserves a place in my 1970 chart but not very high.
  • Quote
And my choices for 1971:

Albums I already own:

American Pie by Don McLean
American Pie, Vincent and Empty Chairs are the classics and the rest is not bad either so a real good album all in all


Album on my wishlist:

Whatevershebringswesing by Kevin Ayers
Very strange album as usual from Kevin Ayers but when he hits the buttons he does it well. A bit too many weirdos here but tracks like Margaret and Stranger in Blue Suede Shoes are good enough to include this album in my 1971 top chart although in the lower regions.
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
My 2 choices of 1970:

In my collection:

Layla And Other Assorted Love Songs by Derek & The Dominos
If ever there was a classic album this is one. The first three tracks are classics and then Little Wing and especially Layla with its fantastic outro still have to come. This album presents this superband's own take on the Blues (just listen to Key To The Highway) and this is just how I like them. One of my favorite albums ever and jumps over Deep Purple In Rock to the first rank of the year.

On my wishlist:

Gasoline Alley by Rod Stewart
One of his first albums after the Faces and mainly consists of fairly original covers. Deserves a place in my 1970 chart but not very high.


The thing I think I like most about Derek and the Dominoes is that it has two totally iconic guitars in Clapton an Allman, and unlike other such meetings which invariably fall short of expectations, the totality of this one is actually greater than the sum of its parts. I think it's both Allman's and especially Clapton's best work. It's as if Duane and Eric pushed each other to ever greater heights.
  • Quote
My 2 choices for 1972 are:

Albums I already own:

Roxy Music by Roxy Music
The first album of Roxy Music and better albums would follow but this is already a great one. Especially the first four tracks are killers: Re-make/Re-model, Ladytron, If There's Something and Virginia Plain. But I especially upped the scores of the other tracks a bit which makes this album rise from the 4th to second rank of 1972 (after Machine Head).

And an album on my wishlist:

Orange by Al Stewart
In fact I know and own The Year Of The Cat (of 1976 and one of my favorite albums ever) and Time Passages of 1978, and I didn't know that Al Stewart had made good albums before that. In fact this album is somewhat a transitional album between very orchestrated inward looking folk music which at the same time has some prog influences to more streamlined pop songs with lots of historic references. But the constant thing is his magnificent voice I really like: some people call it mournful but to my ears it is a really musical voice able to convey very deep emotions. And very much liked this album although there are no real standouts.

And this album inspired me to introduce a new thing to this journey. I will include all this albums in the years that he released an album (both the ones I already own and the ones that are on my wishlist: and all his albums were on my wishlist).
But since he released a number of albums before 1972 I have already listened to those ones:
And I will start in 1967 in which he released his first:

Bedsitter Images by Al Stewart
There's already a lot of promise on this album which at the same time is a traditional folk album but is also very and I would say too orchestrated including a terrible sounding harpsichord. Upto now the only album I won't include in my personal top chart.


Love Chronicles by Al Stewart
This album is from 1969 and sounds very personal especially on the very long and winding title track (on which Jimmy Page plays the guitar) in which he describes every detail of his early love life and is a bit too much but all in all not a bad song. This is still certainly not his best album but deserves a (low) place on my 1969 top chart.


Zero She Flies by Al Stewart
An album of 1970 and as the albums go by his songwriting becomes better and better especially on tracks like Gethsemane, Again; the more electric Electric Los Angeles Sunset and the title track.

And the next album after Orange is already released in 1973.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 676869 ... 193194195  Next
Page 68 of 195


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
Favorite BEA discoveries, all time Listmeister Music
A board for your recent discoveries Spyglass Music
Radio killed the Video star (favorite... RoundTheBend Music
You're Smash Mains per game? Guest Lounge

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.