You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 349350351 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
1.


Honey by Ohio Players

This album is most famous for both its controversial cover (in particular, the inside) and an utterly false but persistent urban legend alleging the sound of murder was caught on a hit record. But that's a bit unfair, as Honey definitely pulls its weight musically. I knew three of these songs already from their compilation Gold: Fopp, Sweet Sticky Thing, and their career-defining hit Love Rollercoaster. All three are great tracks, especially the latter, which is danceable, funky, has iconic instrumental *and* vocal hooks, and is at its core a very thinly-veiled innuendo that made it to #1. They are joined by another great song in the title track, and together those four make up almost 2/3 of the total runtime. The remainder, while more slight, is smooth and sexual music that fits well into the album. Honey is a groovy nocturnal record, and one that on first listen feels underrated in the r&b canon. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Another entry on your metal list that I've heard. It's pretty good:


Symbolic by Death (Metal)

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 7 (4 picks left)

G: This Is Our Music - Galaxie 500
H: Lovely Thunder - Harold Budd
I: The Young Modsโ€™ Forgotten Story - The Impressions
J: One Step Beyond - Jackie McLean
K: Faintly Blowing - Kaleidoscope*
L: Gonna Take A Miracle - Laura Nyro & Labelle
M: Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts - M83
N: How Does That Grab You? - Nancy Sinatra
O: Straight Ahead - Oliver Nelson & Eric Dolphy
P: The Comforts Of Madness - Pale Saints

*Last chance!
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Nine Inch Elvis by Nine Inch Elvis

Pretty much what it says on the tin: Elvis covers done in a Nine Inch Nails style. Although maybe I know Nine Inch Nails too well because it doesn't really sound like NIN, more the same genre, but then again no one sounds like NIN. When it works, like on Hound Dog and Heartbreak Hotel it's surprisingly quite good, but the rest is more novelty entertainment than legitimately musically entertaining. Still it's a bit of fun though. Would I listen again? Maybe. 7/10, and 50/72 for 2000.




Touch choice Baystate. Three great albums I love here. Let's go with Galaxie 500.


This Is Our Music by Galaxie 500




Top 30 Music Albums of 2000 by Applerill (last pick)

7. L'ivresse De La Vitesse by Paul Dolden
8. When The Smoke Clears: Sixty 6, Sixty 1 by Three 6 Mafia
9. American Beauty: Original Motion Picture Score by Thomas Newman
11. Primordial Lift by Pauline Oliveros
15. Perdition City by Ulver
21. Origin by Evanescence
25. Brave New World by Iron Maiden
27. The Better Life by 3 Doors Down
29. He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms...by A Silver Mt. Zion
30. Machina/The Machines Of God by The Smashing Pumpkins
  • Quote
(1)

The Long Goodbye: LCD Soundsystem Live At Madison Square Garden by LCD Soundsystem
This might be the best way to listen to LCD Soundsystem, great concert album. I think I already knew this was going to be the case going into it, but "New York I Love You but You're Bringing Me Down" was absolutely incredible. Similarly to Live Rust and other live albums I've learned about through this game, I've grown appreciation for songs that I didn't like as much on the studio albums, and heard some mediocre live versions of some of my favorites. But even the lows were quite high. This album was over 3 hours long but never once got boring or felt slow. Just absolute banger after banger.

(2)

When The Smoke Clears: Sixty 6, Sixty 1 by Three 6 Mafia
Purplepash, check this out. It has pretty much all Three 6's good tracks.

(3)
RYM's top albums of all time (minus archival releases)
- Swans Are Dead by Swans (live)
- Live After Death by Iron Maiden (live)
- Unleashed in the East: Live in Japan by Judas Priest (live)
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett (live)
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher (live)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Colors_Live by Between the Buried and Me (live)
- Thanks, Sorry! by Jeff Rosenstock (live)
- Rรฉtrospective Vol. 1 & 2 by Magma (live)
- Coltrane "Live" at the Village Vanguard by John Coltrane
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
1.


Symbolic by Death (Metal)

This album is a thrashy/Progressive/death metal clinic. Its technical, sure, but that isn't very descriptive. Its very dense, full of emotive and intense vocals (such a classic vocal style), mercurial guitar patterns, very very strange drum patterns especially with the bass drum. And the songs are consistently stitched together near-flawlessly, where the transitions don't pull me out of the investment I have in the song.

This is more Technical Thrash and Prog than Death Metal to my ears. There are some Death Metal and clearly so DM breakdowns. But in general this doesn't make me think of DM. Maybe Death just so thoroughly transcendent the ordinary conventions of Death Metal and so I just can't hear all the heavier death metal stuff nestled in this album. Hell, maybe I just don't know the definition of DM and Thrash Metal. But yeah this is Proggy and Techie Thrash and Tech Death Metal in that order to my ears. Obviously there are clearly parts that are Death Metal for sure. But yeah I don't think of DM when I think of the sound of this album.

Obvioulsy I have heard the astounding opening riff of the title track that starts the album maybe 15-20 times. I started playing this album A LOT! I have known for a decade or more that this was one of those albums that I should absolutely absorb and LOVE. I remember before I always lost almost all interest in the song when it switches from that slow, all-time great riff to start "Symbolic" to the death metally breakdown. Now that I have been listening to more metal of various kinds I now find the whole song quite great.

Other incredible tracks are "Without Judgement", "Crystal Mountain (maybe the most famous Death song for pretty good reason), and "Empty Words". But really all these songs are chiseled to near-perfection. Very very solid album. I will be honest and say I still don't love love it. I reallya admire it and its influence and ambition and so forth. The only thing that maybe I either will critique or say I maybe just haven't YET gotten used to is the drum sound. It sounds so trebly and strange. Although its clear the drummer is a technical wizard, just the way they are recorded irk me a little.

Anyway, good album. Not my fave but cool and classic and I understand why.



-------------------------

2.

@EyeKanFly, PRIEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


Unleashed In The East by Judas Priest


------------------------

3.

RYM metal of any kind since 1995 - and I just said fudge it and now I will simply include every album even if by Death and Neurosis and Morbid Angel and even if there are more than 1 album per artist.

1. Storm of the Light's Bane by Dissection/1995/RYM #31 metal album of all time (classic melodic black metal album I can't remember hearing.)
2. Ghost reveries by Opeth/2005/RYM #34 metal album of all time (I went ahead and listened to STILL LIFE on a whim yesterday and so its off this list. It was pretty good. Not really my thing. Yet, because it's OPETH, I still have this album ready in the wings. And after this album, another one, then a little later on we will have 2 more Opeth albums. My god. I mostly jest. They are a quality band and I respect them.)
3. Close to a World Below by Immolation/2000/RYM #41 metal album of all time (okay, now that a spot has freed up, this brand new listen of this classic DM album is now a possible Nom)
4. Times of Grace by Neurosis/1999/RYM #69 metal album of all time nice(another totally classic Neurosis album. apparently atmo sludge but unlike Through Silver In Blood I've never heard this album past track 1.)
5. Imaginations From the Other Side by Blind Guardian/1995/RYM #80 metal album of all time (first power metal choice woohoo. i guess. I mean something about power metal just seems so corny, but maybe I will hear it differently after listening to this classic.)
6. My Arms, Your Hearse by Opeth/1998/RYM #91 metal album of all time (apparently this was the first of the new Opeth sound that they developed over half a dozen classics from 1998 to 2005 - that patented Prog metal/Prog Roc and Death metal sound that all associate with Opeth. So, despite being kinda generally bored by Opeth, this could be interesting and maybe great.)
7. Pierced From Within by Suffocation/1995/RYM #94 metal album of all time (another BRUTAL death metal album woohoo! I liked that None So Vile listen so maybe I'll dig this too.)
8. Here In After by Immolation/1996/RYM #113 metal album of all time (another classic death metal immolation album. Nice!)
9. Diabolical Conquest by Incantation/1998/RYM #116 metal album of all time (and yes! Incantation is back on the selections list! LedZep suggested this death and doom death/death doom/etc band as one of the bands I maybe should do a deep dive on in the 1990s. HOWEVER I honestly had never heard of them. But apparently this is great.)
10. Fas โ€“ Ite, maledicti, in ignem aeternum by Deathspell Omega/2007/RYM #119 metal album of all time (here is another Deathspell Omega. I was pretty impressed with their blend of Black metal with some avant garde and other stuff that I heard on Paracletus. Lets hgope this is also good to great.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
1.

New Bermuda by Deafheaven
I don't understand why I am struggling with this type of music. Like it has a lot of elements I do like. Actually, just kidding, I know exactly why, I can't take the vocals seriously. I remember having a thread about metal vocals where you'd pick your favorite villian as a metal singer (Voldemort, Darth Sidious, The Joker, etc.) and I suppose that's my issue, is it always feels kinda laughable somehow, so I can't take it serious. BUT, if I did like this genre, I could see why this is a good to great album in it. Instrumentation/arrangements, it's pretty rad actually.

2. Well you've officially ran out of metal albums I know with that Death album. A few of those I listened to in this game with the 1001 albums to waste your time with to listen to before your a boomer you die. Since RYM worships Opeth, go with Ghost Reveries.

3. LedZep top 100 of 2010s (5 picks left)
10. Autumn Bells by Gidge
11. Queen of Time by Amorphis
13. All Bitches Die by Lingua Ignota
21. Everywhere At The End Of Time by The Caretaker
25. Lost by Trentemรธller
35. Vanilija by Svemirko
26. Coin Coin Chapter Four: Memphis by Matana Roberts
27. Veronica Falls by Veronica Falls
30. The Raven That Refused to Sing (And Other Stories) by Steven Wilson
31. 2012-2017 by Against All Logic
  • Quote
(1)

Unleashed In The East by Judas Priest
I've listened to a good bit of 80s Priest, but very little 70s. So most of the songs in this set were new to me. And I've decided 70s Priest is just as good as 80s Priest! Great set, apparently it's unclear if it was actually live or not? But regardless, it was well produced and a great setlist. Thanks for choosing this one!

(2)

The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) by Steven Wilson
RoundTheBend, not too many that I've heard from LedZep's list but I found myself enjoying this much more than I thought I would, especially considering I'm not huge on Porcupine Tree.

(3)
RYM's top albums of all time (minus archival releases)
- Swans Are Dead by Swans (live)
- Live After Death by Iron Maiden (live)
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett (live)
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher (live)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Colors_Live by Between the Buried and Me (live)
- Thanks, Sorry! by Jeff Rosenstock (live)
- Rรฉtrospective Vol. 1 & 2 by Magma (live)
- Coltrane "Live" at the Village Vanguard by John Coltrane (live)
- No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith by Motรถrhead (live)
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
1.

The Raven That Refused To Sing (And Other Stories) by Steven Wilson

Anyone who takes bass tone seriously has my respect. There were aspects of this that I dug and aspects of it that got suffocated by proghead stuff. Glad I listened.

2. I recently checked this out and thought it was a good live album: - No Sleep 'Til Hammersmith by Motรถrhead (live)

3. LedZep top 100 of 2010s (3 picks left)
10. Autumn Bells by Gidge
11. Queen of Time by Amorphis
13. All Bitches Die by Lingua Ignota
21. Everywhere At The End Of Time by The Caretaker
25. Lost by Trentemรธller
35. Vanilija by Svemirko
26. Coin Coin Chapter Four: Memphis by Matana Roberts
27. Veronica Falls by Veronica Falls
31. 2012-2017 by Against All Logic
32. Monolith Of Inhumanity by Cattle Decapitation
  • Quote
If Seth thinks the vocals on New Bermuda are comical, then someone please have him listen to Cattle Decapitation.
  • Quote
1.


This Is Our Music by Galaxie 500

After listening to them all, I now share the consensus view that the third and final album from Boston band Galaxie 500 is a notch below their first two, which are both great. It's very pretty and mellow, has some good turns of phrase (right off the bat I recognized a lyric from the BEA header), and boasts a couple great songs. But overall, it lacks enough variety or standout moments to distinguish itself. Also, Naomi Yang's vocals are better than Dean Wareham's, so it's a shame that they only show up once here and twice total on their LPs. This Is Our Music is a very good listen if like me you enjoy the genres (slowcore + dream pop per RYM), but not exactly an essential record. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. This is a very good album:


2012-2017 by Against All Logic

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 7 (3 picks left)

G: The Ownerz - Gang Starr
H: Lovely Thunder - Harold Budd
I: The Young Modsโ€™ Forgotten Story - The Impressions
J: One Step Beyond - Jackie McLean
K: Late Orchestration - Kanye West
L: Gonna Take A Miracle - Laura Nyro & Labelle
M: Dead Cities, Red Seas & Lost Ghosts - M83
N: How Does That Grab You? - Nancy Sinatra
O: Straight Ahead - Oliver Nelson & Eric Dolphy
P: The Comforts Of Madness - Pale Saints*

*Last chance!
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
If Seth thinks the vocals on New Bermuda are comical, then someone please have him listen to Cattle Decapitation.


I was going to say Cryptopsy, but yeah lol cattle Decapitation works also lol
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 349350351 ... 444445446  Next
Page 350 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.