You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 353354355 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
1.


Live At The Harlem Square Club, 1963 by Sam Cooke

Instantly one of my favorite live albums ever. Its so lively and joyous and its so great hearing this great singer and artist let loose in this setting. I don't have much to say except yeah that was FANTASTIC!

-------------------------

2.

@EyeKanFly, listen to Swans are Dead (can't figure out how to link the image.)


------------------------

3.

Took EPs off and took archival off and am so deluged by Live albums I'm thinking of removing them too and just working through LPs and Mixtapes, while keeping one EP on - an EP longer than most albums - on as well as the Live albums here I will probably keep and as they are nominated I'll fill this list more and more with LPs and Mixtapes.

1. F♯A♯∞ by Godspeed You! Black Emperor/1998/RYM #46 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (yes I've heard this. Its been forever. Remember the guitar solo and the spoken word poem with the canadian guy and...that's it)
2. Slow Riot for New Zerø Kanada E.P. by Godspeed You! Black Emperor/1999/RYM #66 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (listened to it years ago and I just never gave it even 1/10th the time I gave their 2000 LP or 1/4th the attention I gave their debut. Need to hear again.)
3. Blade Runner by Vangelis/1994/RYM #164 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Have heard this. Close to a decade ago. When I was listening to a lot of classic kinda ambient stuff. Can't remember a thing about it.)
4. Exmilitary by Death Grips/2011/RYM #196 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I included mixtapes and voila! This appeared and I realized I've never seen this famous album on a RYM list before because I never ever included mixtapes! Anyway, I have heard this. When it came out. Should revisit.)
*5. Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher/1974/RYM #196 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I have never heard this famous blues rock album.)
6. Larks' Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson/1973/RYM #199 Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I've probably heard this album 3-4 times and the first track 10 times, yet never with much attention glued to the music and certainly less than this album and band deserves. Considering my love for other albums released by them in this era, I figure I should really listen and write a comment so its seared in my brain.)
7. Powerslave by Iron Maiden/1984/RYM #237 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I don't think I've ever finished listening to this. If I have, I don't remember. One of the all time great metal records yet Maiden has always been something I don't love or even usually like)
*8. Blues & Roots by Charles Mingus/1960/RYM #268 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I actually think I've never listened to this. Ooh how exciting for me.)
*9. You Will Never Know Why by Sweet Trip/2009/RYM #282 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Here is a well timed one what with sweet trip releasing their much anticipated follow up after 12 years last week. Have heard their 2003 album. For this game actually)
*10. The End of Evangelion by Shiro Sagisu/1997/RYM #285 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Here is one that is COMPLETELY new to me. Really the rare highly ranked album where I really have no concept of what to expect.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:
Took EPs off and took archival off and am so deluged by Live albums I'm thinking of removing them too and just working through LPs and Mixtapes, while keeping one EP on - an EP longer than most albums - on as well as the Live albums here I will probably keep and as they are nominated I'll fill this list more and more with LPs and Mixtapes.

Looks like we're going off of the same list and I'm mostly in the same boat, overwhelmingly live albums in the "haven't listened" column. My problem is that there's some "archival" releases that could really be counted as regular albums: SMiLE Sessions, Blade Runner, the Misfits album you already listened to here, many live albums which are really just one concert (or tour) rather than a compilation, etc... But then you also get shit like a ~30 hour compilation of 60s/70s Pink Floyd sessions. I included "live" albums because I didn't want to miss out on albums that are commonly included among regular albums like At Folsom Prison or Rust Never Sleeps (though I've already heard these, I know there are others like this which I haven't heard).

I think I'm going to continue with my current "everything but archival" designation for a while longer, but I may switch to just studio albums once I get tired of 2+ hour live prog albums
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote

Epistēmē by Anthony Davis

composition- 25
production- 20
performance- 20
pacing- 6
lyrics- NA (so more points go to composition and performance)
Originality-7

bonus album cover points: that's a lot of people wearing diapers (or covering their nethers with checkerboards; I really can't tell) +2

total 80/100= consistently enjoyable

I have been wanting to listen to this fellow's music for awhile, but the albums that I want to listen to always seem so hard to find. And, to be perfectly clear, I did not find every track to this album, but I got enough out of what I was able to hear to get a feeling for the blend of Jazz and Modern that this guy was going for with this release. Which based off of the time period and the genres involved sounds about where you would expect this album to be. Repetitious and minimal percussion with jazz flavors thrown over the top. They're blended together quite nicely and everything comes together organically with neither element competing for supremacy. Although with the variety of instrumentation and rhythms going on it can get a bit muddy at times. It's not totally dissimilar to what other musicians of the time were going for, but it certainly carves out it's own niche. Definitely one of the better things I've listened to going through this current list and much more pleasant than the last one.

Mercury, go for the Godspeed EP. "Moya" is one of their best songs.

AD- Conspiracy
ADN' Ckrystall- Jazz' Mad
Agencement- Agencement
Amber Route- Snail Headed Victrolas
Anima- Stürmischer Himmel
Anna Homler- Dō Ya Sa' Di Dō
Anna Själv Tredje- Tussilago Fanfara
Apocalypse-Apocalypse
Arbete & Fritid- Arbete & Fritids Andra LP
Archaia- Archaia
  • Quote
1.


Lookaftering by Vashti Bunyan

Wow, 35 years after her previous album, and barely a step lost! Just Another Diamond Day has been a favorite of mine for several years along with Bunyan's other recordings of that era, so it was cool to finally hear something from after her music emerged from obscurity and career restarted. The vocals are excellent and basically sound the same as they did in 1970. The instrumentals are great too, as she fruitfully collaborates with an all-star group on the arrangements and execution. The weakest point is probably the songwriting, but it's hardly a weak point. Every song is at least solid. There may not be many immediately memorable tunes, but the important thing is that they all sound gorgeous. In any case, I'll need another listen to really digest the lyrics. Lookaftering is a great record, a worthy follow-up to Vashti Bunyan's legendary debut, and one that I look forward to returning to. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Let's continue on the theme with the AD album.

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 8 (2 picks left)

Q: Innocent Country 2 - Quelle Chris & Chris Keys
R: I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings (EP) - Radiohead
S: So Tough - Saint Etienne*
T: Live Versions - Tame Impala
U: Underground Kingz - UGK
V: Live At Max’s Kansas City - The Velvet Underground
W: Night Dreamer - Wayne Shorter*
Y: Dump YOD: Krutoy Edition - Your Old Droog
Z: Zapp II - Zapp*
&: Timeabout, (EP) - 유키카 (YUKIKA)*

*Last chance!
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
(1)

Swans Are Dead by Swans I'm not huge on Swans, and I sorta knew what I was getting into with this album. That said, it's a great snapshot of Swans right before Jarboe left. This presents a great re-imagining of many of their classic songs, some off of Soundtracks for the Blind, but many from earlier albums, most of which I haven't heard.

(2)

Night Dreamer by Wayne Shorter Go with Night Dreamer, it features McCoy Tyner, a personal favorite jazz pianist of mine.

(3)
RYM's top albums of all time (minus archival releases)
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett (live)
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher (live)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Colors_Live by Between the Buried and Me (live)
- Rétrospective Vol. 1 & 2 by Magma (live)
- Coltrane "Live" at the Village Vanguard by John Coltrane (live)
- At the Mountains of Madness by Electric Masada (live)
- Symphony No. 9 [Beethoven] by Berliner Philharmoniker & Herbert von Karajan (interestingly, I've heard the 1977 Berlin Philharmonic/Karajan recording of Beethoven's 9th, but the entry at RYM appears to refer to the 1963 recording)
- Live by Magma (live)
- At San Quentin by Johnny Cash (live)
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
(1)

Modern Guilt by Beck
Went back and listened to Mellow Gold, Mutations and Midnite Vultures again first, since I'm less familiar with them than Odelay, Guero and Sea Change. Think I can say that I'm pretty familiar with all 6 of them plus Modern Guilt. As far as the latter is concerned, it's somewhere in the lower tier of Beck work I've heard. It's not mindblowing and it lacks some of the highlights that made Odelay, Mutations etc. such instant classics, and it's also not quite as good as Guero imo. Nothing here rivals E-Pro, Go It Alone or Girl. Title track, Gamma Ray and Orphans are all pretty good though. As a side note, can Beck fans here explain why everything post Sea Change is considered as "lesser" Beck? Is it just the apparent lack of innovation by his standards or was he just not hip and cool in the mid 00s? 7.5/10

As a bonus, here's some not very carefully thought out rankings like I did with Deftones. It's fun to do when you know enough albums by a band/musician, might do some more in the future.

1. Odelay
2. Sea Change
3. Mutations

4. Guero
5. Mellow Gold
6. Modern Guilt

7. Midnite Vultures


(2)
Electric Masada's magnum opus next

(3)
Leftovers list + some 2021

Lawrence - The Absence of Blight
John Talabot - Fin
Flamengo - Kuře v hodinkách
Sadaf - History of Heat
Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
Rochelle Jordan - Play With the Changes
Ranking Dread - Ranking Dread In Dub
Grachan Moncur III - Evolution
Area - Arbeit Macht Frei
Mdou Moctar - Ilana: The Creator
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote

Body Talk by Robyn

Hah! Two Swedish albums in a row. From my latest list to choose from this would have been the last album I would have picked for myself. But that's one of the things I love about this game. Sometimes being made to getting the opportunity to listen to albums you normally wouldn't, and occasionally unexpectedly liking them. This wasn't one of those occasions. However this was better than the only other Robyn album I've listened to, Honey, which I did not like. Generally I find young sounding girly voices annoying (although there are exceptions) so it had that against it to start with, and I'm rarely a fan of electropo and dance-pop. Of course I knew Dancing On My Own which I've always found a bit annoying, but after that it got off to quite a good start, with the surprisingly saucy Fembot, and the interesting electropop flourishes of Don't Fucking Tell Me What To Do. After that though there wasn't much for me to really enjoy. I did sort of like Dancehall Queen, which I wasn't surprised to see is actually one of the lower rated songs here. Oh well. So for something that's not really my thing, it's not that bad though. I didn't dislike it. 6/10, and 80/91.




I like seeing people's ranking of artists albums Zep and how they differ. Yours is quite different to mine. I haven't heard a lot of Beck albums but my top three I have heard a lot. Here is mine.

1. Mellow Gold (overall chart worthy)
2. Odelay
3. Midnite Vultures

4. Sea Change
5. Guero
6. One Foot In The Grave

I was tempted to choose Ranking Dread, but with the great reviews the recent Mdou Moctar album is getting it would be good to hear this one first.


Ilana (The Creator) by Mdou Moctar




BEA Best Albums of 2010 (2 picks left)

7. Plastic Beach by Gorillaz
15. Congratulations by MGMT
18. Total Life Forever by Foals
21. Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club
22. Crystal Castles (II) by Crystal Castles
25. Swim by Caribou
26. How I Got Over by The Roots
29. Heligoland by Massive Attack
30. Clinging To A Scheme by The Radio Dept.
31. Diamond Eyes by Deftones

(I have heard of couple of these once in my pre-ranking days)
  • Quote
1.


Slow Riot For New Zerø Kanada by Godspeed You! Black Emperor

Brilliant EP. Both tracks were lovely and touching and emotional. Love the atmosphere of both. The field recorded spoken word in track 2 got a little old but overall its interesting. The first track is indeed masterful, the way that melody ratchets up and up and up is SOOO Post-Rock and SOOO GY!BE and SOOO Great! They do this better than almost anyone. Neurosis I think does similar things with metal (maybe, just maybe, I am finally getting the whole "Post Metal" designation that I used to hate so much). Yeah, its was fabulous and I listened to it 3 times over the last couple days and it was enjoyable each listen and every minute thereof.

-------------------------

2.

@Purplepash,


Plastic Beach by Gorillaz


------------------------

3.

Took EPs off and took archival off and am so deluged by Live albums I'm thinking of removing them too and just working through LPs and Mixtapes, while keeping one EP on - an EP longer than most albums - on as well as the Live albums here I will probably keep and as they are nominated I'll fill this list more and more with LPs and Mixtapes.

1. F♯A♯∞ by Godspeed You! Black Emperor/1998/RYM #46 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (yes I've heard this. Its been forever. Remember the guitar solo and the spoken word poem with the canadian guy and...that's it)
2. Blade Runner by Vangelis/1994/RYM #164 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Have heard this. Close to a decade ago. When I was listening to a lot of classic kinda ambient stuff. Can't remember a thing about it.)
3. Exmilitary by Death Grips/2011/RYM #196 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I included mixtapes and voila! This appeared and I realized I've never seen this famous album on a RYM list before because I never ever included mixtapes! Anyway, I have heard this. When it came out. Should revisit.)
*4. Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher/1974/RYM #196 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I have never heard this famous blues rock album.)
5. Larks' Tongues in Aspic by King Crimson/1973/RYM #199 Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I've probably heard this album 3-4 times and the first track 10 times, yet never with much attention glued to the music and certainly less than this album and band deserves. Considering my love for other albums released by them in this era, I figure I should really listen and write a comment so its seared in my brain.)
6. Powerslave by Iron Maiden/1984/RYM #237 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I don't think I've ever finished listening to this. If I have, I don't remember. One of the all time great metal records yet Maiden has always been something I don't love or even usually like)
*7. Blues & Roots by Charles Mingus/1960/RYM #268 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (I actually think I've never listened to this. Ooh how exciting for me.)
*8. You Will Never Know Why by Sweet Trip/2009/RYM #282 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Here is a well timed one what with sweet trip releasing their much anticipated follow up after 12 years last week. Have heard their 2003 album. For this game actually)
*9. The End of Evangelion by Shiro Sagisu/1997/RYM #285 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (Here is one that is COMPLETELY new to me. Really the rare highly ranked album where I really have no concept of what to expect... OH and I'll ddo what I assume is the related highly related EP as well.)
*10. Songs for the Deaf by Queens of the Stone Age/2002/RYM #289 all time Live/Archival/Mixtape/Studio album or EP (It is one of my great accomplishments and shames of my life that I can say with some confidence I've never listened to a QOTSA my entiure life as far as I know. This is particularly wild considering when this album came out and took over the rock and metal world I was 13 and really into metal and garage rock... how did I miss this? I think I kinda rebelled against it for some reason just decided to not go with the flow. ANYWAY, soon I may listen to this. Shall see.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
1.


Night Dreamer by Wayne Shorter

This 1964 album with an all-star lineup is neither ahead of the times nor behind them, and instead sounds contemporary. Night Dreamer's title track is a scorcher and easily the best thing here. The album then drops its tempo and energy level to not quite cool jazz, and never fully picks it back up. The playing is excellent, every track is very good, and I like the vibe. But after the first one, I don't get a spark of inspiration or excitement from Shorter's compositions. I love cool jazz, and I love fiery jazz, but I often fail to fully connect with music in the middle. This record is one example. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. I love this soundtrack:


Blade Runner by Vangelis

~~~~~

3. Alphabet Game, Cohort 8 (last pick)

Q: Innocent Country 2 - Quelle Chris & Chris Keys
R: I Might Be Wrong: Live Recordings (EP) - Radiohead
S: Soul Men - Sam & Dave
T: Live Versions - Tame Impala
U: Underground Kingz - UGK
V: Live At Max’s Kansas City - The Velvet Underground
W: Mysterious Traveller - Weather Report
Y: Dump YOD: Krutoy Edition - Your Old Droog
Z: Mind Over Matter - Zion I
&: Let’s Walk On The Path Of A Blue Cat - 파란노을 (Parannoul)
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
I should play this game again... I need to find my rec hehe... but I saw a Beck conversation and those don't happen a lot.

I'd check out The Information, imo it's considerably better than Modern Guilt and is a decent follow up to Guero if you like that one. Modern Guilt has this kinda cool 60s vibe, but otherwise, I agree, it's not an album I've really ever reached for, even if not bad... it's just not great. I remember hearing something happened to him or something which is kinda why the hiatus/pause on output from 2008 to 2014. Morning Phase, tbh feels a lot like Sea Change's warmth, but the sadness/emotional strength sucked out of it. It's warm and pretty but that's about it. I'm one of those one offs where I actually LOVE Colors. Somehow Beck going Pop sounded really good to me. Hyperspace is a little boring for me. Anyway, here's my Beck and hope that helped to answer that I vaguely remember something happened with Beck and Modern Guilt was kinda the result of that and it suffered accordingly, even if stylistically I dig, the style is just a cool shell put over mediocre songwriting/performances.

5.0
Sea Change (my top 10)

4.5
Guero
Odelay
Mutations
The Information
Midnite Vultures (was a grower, but eventually ended up in my tier two)
Colors

4.0 (may be too high... bias set in... hehe... probably deserves more a 3.5 range)
Modern Guilt
Morning Phase

3.5
Mellow Gold (it's good, but it doesn't yet have the magic that comes later imo)
Hyperspace
Guerolito

2.5 (wonder if I need to give this more attention... pretty bad rating... haha)
One Foot in the Grave

That's how I'd do it... I guess.

Also, Beck has been a huge part of my musical life almost all my life... so sorry for the fanboi post.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 353354355 ... 444445446  Next
Page 354 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.