You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 371372373 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
(1)

Black Metal 2 by Dean Blunt
While I love Dean's style and willingness to experiment, there's always something that prevents me from loving his records. The first Black Metal was too long, some of the songs were kinda half baked while the others went on for too long. This one's less than half the og's length, 23.5 minutes. Again, the atmosphere and the crazy sounds and ideas were entertaining, but the songwriting is not exactly top notch. Most of the time he goes for the 2.5 minute runtime which just doesn't allow the songs to progress and build naturally. ZaZa is the worst offender imo, in 2:06 runtime it has 2 sections and both feel like interesting but unimportant interludes. It's still a unique album which could have a lot of replay value considering the length, but for now it's low 7.5/10

(2)
LISTEN TO DISEMBOWELMENT RIGHT NOW, love that album

(3)
Frankensteined lists - so yeah I've started adding some 2021 albums and stuff that I've discovered recently and seems interesting, along with parts of several other lists I've merged. Not that it'll make any difference, this is already all over the place.

Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters
Sandwell District - Feed-Forward
Eliane Radigue - Trilogie de la mort
Robbie Basho - Venus In Cancer
Navy Blue - Navy's Reprise
Amebix - Arise!
David S. Ware - Surrendered
Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids
The Rolling Stones - Exile On Main St. (RL) (I'm gonna listen to some Stones albums again, RIP Watts)
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
1.


Transcendence Into The Peripheral by diSEMBOWELMENT

I’ve always wondered what Atmospheric Death Metal would sound like as a genre. Like, Black Metal and Sludge Metal get that sub genre but why not death metal? Well it would be perhaps a bit eye roll inducing if every major sub genre of Metal had an atmospheric version. Also it may be redundant as the genre that seems to meld atmospheric elements into death metal is whatever this dISEMBOWELMENT album is. Death Doom Metal with a smattering of Funeral doom. I am not any kind of expert on these genres, but based off this album, I think these aussies nailed whatever atmo DM would be. As these tracks all have menacing, foggy, ancient atmosphere that swamp the music and become an integral part. When the band comes into these wildly beautiful moments such as the beginning of The Spirit of the Tall Hills, it really is like a whole other world. Also when the band just explodes into earth-shaking heavy attacks, there is still a dominant atmosphere, almost like some ancient elemental being is awake and running straight at your punk ass. It’s dope.

Really all these tracks were excellent. The longest and maybe most overly long (to me on first listen) A Burial At Ornans, still features half a dozen or more ideas and sections that are incredibly executed.

Overall, this album was quite amazing. It was yet another eye opener, eye opening in that it shows me yet again that within this big blanket genre of “Metal” there are so so so many beautiful and original and creative musical and emotional states and genres and possibilities. Some of them I had no idea about even 6 months ago. I depend on genre labels a lot, I think we all do. But what I dislike about genre tags is that music can be paired down to a few words and in your mind you get some bland idea of what that genre is and if you don’t listen to the song or album you will never hear how the music is utterly its own thing but just happens to be most blearily falling within one genre tag. Like, there are many absolutely unexplainable works or genius within death metal for example, but if I see a genre rage that simply says “Death Metal” or I see someone describe it with those 2 words, I may never be particularly interested in diving in to the music because it’s simply death metal. Anyway, I’m rambling worse than ever.

Regarding dISEMBOWLEMENT, it’s wild they only released one album. One classic. Much like Demilich, they dropped one absolute banger in 1993 and then faded away. I have discovered 2 classics I love basically equally in 1 week from groups that were one-and-dones. I wonder how many more such occurrences there are.

Anyway, this is amazing and I quite loved it.

-------------------------

2.

@LedZep, yes, let's honor the legend of Watts, with this absolute stone-cold classic...


Exile On Main St. by The Rolling Stones

------------------------

3.

You know me by now. I'm always thinking of new gimmicks. So my newest gimmick is I will take the top 1000 albums on RYM. I have 400 or so albums to hear on it and what I will do is Pick ONE album from each page of 40 albums (the last page will be more like 50 albums...) and I will pick one album off the list that I am most intrigued by or most interested in hearing again for more thorough evaluation or reminding. Still excluding any sort of soundtrack or classical music ( so the rank is in a list of all LPs and Mixtapes excluding live, archival, western classical and any sort of soundtrack/score.)

1. Close to a World Below by Immolation/2000/RYM #370 all time album (I really just want to dive into this absolute classic. I hear its some stunning death metal.)

2. Yank Crime by Drive Like Jehu/1994/RYM #460 all time album (I heard this once years ago, thought it was cool and never returned. Need to revisit this post hardcore classic)

3. Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective/2007/RYM #501 all time album (This band used to be just about the coolest band in the world and I remember never really getting swept up even remotely in the hype at their peak. Now that a decade+ has passed since their peak hype phase, I would like to listen with fresh ears. Can't remember anything about this album after all these years.)

4. Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings/1973/ RYM #577 all time album I've heard a few McCartney albums, including maybe this one - can't clearly remember. The only one I've really loved is Ram. This should be a good pop rock listen. Curious to hear it.)

5. Pierced From Within by Suffocation/1995/ RYM #668 all time album (I guess it is clear I have interest in expanding my knowledge and experience with death metal. Well, its true. And this is a cool looking and i hear a very intense death metal classic.

6. Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious by Carcass/1991/RYM #707 all time album (As one of the great godfathers of that grindy death metal sound and the creators of one of my fave metal albums, Heartwork, you'd think I'd be very very familiar with this album. However, I'm not. Somehow I have never pushed play on this album once. Death Metal!)

7. Leaving Your Body Map by maudlin of the Well/2001/RYM #809 all time album (interesting looking avant-garde metal. will listen to Bath released same day as well probably. I have found an excuse to include this on every single list of potential picks. surely, its time will come.)

8. Parallel Lines by Blondie/1978/RYM #814 all time album (I never gave Blondie almost any respect when i was a yound punk. I have heard this album but maybe one time years ago. I neeeed to listen with new ears and see if I like it or even love it now that I am not looking at them through the lens of early punk rock judas figures and sell outs.)

9. Tri Repetae by Autechre/1995/RYM #920 all time album (Okay, I had Confield on this list briefly, then removed it. Now I see this, Confield and LP5 are the highest rated of Autechre, so yeah I resubmit this IDM Glitchy classic as my page 9 nomination.)

10. Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over by Cap'n Jazz/1995/RYM #995 all time album (Listened to some of this a couple months ago on a whim, really really liked it, then left youtube because was distracted away and never returned. Some really cool post hardcore emo shit.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!


Last edited by Mercury on 08/26/2021 22:40; edited 1 time in total
  • Quote
1)

Be Altitude: Respect Yourself by The Staple Singers
I think I'm finding with a lot of the albums on this NPR list, the album as a whole may not be fantastic, but it does feature a few fantastic songs. At least that's what I thought about this album until about halfway through when I got to a few of the deeper cuts which I had never heard before, and I found I really enjoyed it as a whole. "Who Do You Think You Are (Jesus Christ Superstar)?" and "I'm Just Another Soldier" were probably my favorites. Awesome blend of soul and pop with a little funk and gospel thrown in. Overall solid 3.5/5

2)

Parallel Lines by Blondie
This is an amazing album, "Heart of Glass" is one of my all-time favorite songs, and the whole album around it is built very well.

3)
NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women:
42. Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Johnny Mercer Songbook by Ella Fitzgerald (I think I've listened to almost all her other songbooks...)
47. Son Con Guaguancó by Celia Cruz
51. Sassy Swings Again by Sarah Vaughan
52. Nick of Time by Bonnie Raitt (almost certain I've heard this before but haven't marked it "listened" or rated it on BEA, so I should probably relisten)
57. What's the 411? by Mary J. Blige (I know many of her singles but have never listened to one of her albums in full)
58. Nightbirds by Labelle
59. Indigo Girls by Indigo Girls
61. The Writing's on the Wall by Destiny's Child (know most of the tracks but never listened to the album in full)
65. Blue Light 'Til Dawn by Cassandra Wilson
68. King's Record Shop by Rosanne Cash
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
Today was cleaning, chill day so I listened to a lot. Checked off a few albums I needed to listen to on this top 1000 of RYM list that I felt kinda vague on and so removed my ratings. Namely, listened to Brian Eno's Here Come The Warm Jets (gave it a 3.5), Janet Jackson's The Velvet Rope (Gave it a 3.5), Gen Clark's No Other (Gave it a 3.5), and XTC's Skylarking (Gave it a 2.5). I also went ahead and decided to be nerdy and I made 2 charts for all the albums I have heard and commented upon for this game here. I copy pasted the comments and I made it in 2 charts as I have heard 154 albums since starting to play this game with y'all back in November 2020. If you want to see it, or rather want to see them here you go:

Part 1: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=68031

Part 2: https://www.besteveralbums.com/thechart.php?c=68029

Part 2 is where most recent ones are, for obvious reasons.

Anyway, back to regularly scheduled program....


\1.


Parallel Lines by Blondie

God I was a dolt to ignore this for so long. This is really really good. Somehow Blondie manages to maintain their street cred punk rock energy enough here while making some of the most buoyant, brilliant pop this side of '65. The pure pop gems have a similar innocent yet sophisticated beauty of those great girl group records of the early to mid 60s. Also the rock tracks like the all time classic album opener are absolutely gritty, sexy, invigorating all time rock classics.

The fact that half these songs AT LEAST are basically perfectly crafted pop rock gems and classics is amazing! Even the ones I'd say aren't classic or don't have that extra zing to push to transcendence are still quite good to great in their own right.

"One Way or Another" holds up as a badass rock song. And as for the obvious standout here, "Heart of Glass" well what can I say. Its mesmerizing. Its so damn timeless and bubbly and they manage to pull off that disco stomp perfectly while marrying it to this new wave rock sound. Every line, beat, melody and part are brilliant. The fact that this one song doesn't swamp the impact of the rest of the album (at least not completely) is a testament to the quality of the rest of this album. I have the idea that some good albums are so thoroughly overshadowed by ONE MASSIVE hit that is perfect. Having a hard time remembering an example.... maybe Donna Summer's I Remember Yesterday album which is generally great but the closer "I Feel Love" is so clearly the standout that it leaves very little oxygen for any other track. There are other examples I'm sure but can't remember. Anyway, my point was that this album is good enough throughout that it doesn't suffer that fate.

Overall, this instantly goes from a famous album that I am ambivalent to to one of my fave pop rock albums of the 70s if not maybe all time. Deserves many more listens and I suspect it will get them.

-------------------------

2.

@EyeKanFly, thanks for picking consistently great albums! also I nominate for you the only one I'm strongly familiar with (and quite like):


What's The 411? by Mary J. Blige

------------------------

3.

You know me by now. I'm always thinking of new gimmicks. So my newest gimmick is I will take the top 1000 albums on RYM. I have 400 or so albums to hear on it and what I will do is Pick ONE album from each page of 40 albums (the last page will be more like 50 albums...) and I will pick one album off the list that I am most intrigued by or most interested in hearing again for more thorough evaluation or reminding. Still excluding any sort of soundtrack or classical music ( so the rank is in a list of all LPs and Mixtapes excluding live, archival, western classical and any sort of soundtrack/score.)

1. Close to a World Below by Immolation/2000/RYM #370 all time album (I really just want to dive into this absolute classic. I hear its some stunning death metal.)

2. Yank Crime by Drive Like Jehu/1994/RYM #460 all time album (I heard this once years ago, thought it was cool and never returned. Need to revisit this post hardcore classic)

3. Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective/2007/RYM #501 all time album (This band used to be just about the coolest band in the world and I remember never really getting swept up even remotely in the hype at their peak. Now that a decade+ has passed since their peak hype phase, I would like to listen with fresh ears. Can't remember anything about this album after all these years.)

4. Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings/1973/ RYM #577 all time album I've heard a few McCartney albums, including maybe this one - can't clearly remember. The only one I've really loved is Ram. This should be a good pop rock listen. Curious to hear it.)

5. Pierced From Within by Suffocation/1995/ RYM #668 all time album (I guess it is clear I have interest in expanding my knowledge and experience with death metal. Well, its true. And this is a cool looking and i hear a very intense death metal classic.

6. Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious by Carcass/1991/RYM #707 all time album (As one of the great godfathers of that grindy death metal sound and the creators of one of my fave metal albums, Heartwork, you'd think I'd be very very familiar with this album. However, I'm not. Somehow I have never pushed play on this album once. Death Metal!)

7. Leaving Your Body Map by maudlin of the Well/2001/RYM #809 all time album (interesting looking avant-garde metal. will listen to Bath released same day as well probably. I have found an excuse to include this on every single list of potential picks. surely, its time will come.)

8. Alien Lanes by Guided By Voices/1995/RYM #820 all time album (so I absolutely adore, worship even, Bee Thousand. And back when I was most smitten with that classic I bought this album and I listened to it several times iirc. But it never caught me or ensnared me like Bee Thousand for some reason. I think almost every time I pushed play on Alien Lanes I felt this urge to just jump back to my love Bee Thousand. Well, now that it has been a long time since I've heard any GbV, I think I need to revisit this bad boy.)

9. Tri Repetae by Autechre/1995/RYM #920 all time album (Okay, I had Confield on this list briefly, then removed it. Now I see this, Confield and LP5 are the highest rated of Autechre, so yeah I resubmit this IDM Glitchy classic as my page 9 nomination.)

10. Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Balloon Sports, Cards in the Spokes, Automatic Biographies, Kites, Kung Fu, Trophies, Banana Peels We've Slipped On and Egg Shells We've Tippy Toed Over by Cap'n Jazz/1995/RYM #995 all time album (Listened to some of this a couple months ago on a whim, really really liked it, then left youtube because was distracted away and never returned. Some really cool post hardcore emo shit.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Sorry all - but I've been enjoying the POC canon (RYM top 100 non-white people albums... took me until the 400th album to fill it up) and the female canon (NPR's top 150 shared here earlier by EyeKanFly) independent of this game. Been a great time. 90% of it I've heard already and I'd rather just let the flow of the playlist go instead of wait for a rec. Been some cool stuff here though. Enjoy!
  • Quote
RoundTheBend wrote:
Sorry all - but I've been enjoying the POC canon (RYM top 100 non-white people albums... took me until the 400th album to fill it up) and the female canon (NPR's top 150 shared here earlier by EyeKanFly) independent of this game. Been a great time. 90% of it I've heard already and I'd rather just let the flow of the playlist go instead of wait for a rec. Been some cool stuff here though. Enjoy!

I'm actually going through a classical list on the side with the albums here in between, totally get you. And on the note about RYM top 100 non-white artists' albums, I think it's even worse for women... I don't even know if there are 100 albums made by women in RYM's top 1000, I expect BEA would be about the same. So anyway, glad I'm going through the NPR list!

1)

What's The 411? by Mary J. Blige
Solid album. I dig Mary J. Blige in a way I'm not usually into 90s R&B. I definitely prefer her later album My Life but this is a definite runner-up. 3/5

2)

Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Ballo...Cap'n Jazz
Let's go with this because I've never heard of it but the name is so ridiculous.

3)
NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women:
42. Ella Fitzgerald Sings the Johnny Mercer Songbook by Ella Fitzgerald (I think I've listened to almost all her other songbooks...)
47. Son Con Guaguancó by Celia Cruz
51. Sassy Swings Again by Sarah Vaughan
52. Nick of Time by Bonnie Raitt (almost certain I've heard this before but haven't marked it "listened" or rated it on BEA, so I should probably relisten)
58. Nightbirds by Labelle
59. Indigo Girls by Indigo Girls
61. The Writing's on the Wall by Destiny's Child (know most of the tracks but never listened to the album in full)
65. Blue Light 'Til Dawn by Cassandra Wilson
68. King's Record Shop by Rosanne Cash
70. Bella Donna by Stevie Nicks
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
1.


Burritos, Inspiration Point, Fork Ballo...Cap'n Jazz

Here, again, is a group who released one underground classic in the mid 90s then never released another LP and broke up. Seems to be a trend in these recent albums chosen for me to hear. Unlike the last 2, this is not some form of death metal. Indeed, it’s not metal at all. Instead this is an interesting little nugget of midwest emo, somewhat sloppily and yet very lovingly performed by a bunch of emos a quarter century ago. It’s got enough intensity and speed and enough badass and somewhat technical drumming to scratch my post-hardcore and math rock itch, and a good amount of earnest, real, truly felt emotion to scratch my emo itch.

Apparently after this band broke up they all 4 went in different directions - I suppose a couple went in the same direction, but you know what I mean - and formed other famous and respected bands within this scene. The only offshoot band I am personally familiar with is American Football. The aforementioned drummer who kind of steals the show here on capn jazz long title album also is my favorite aspect of American Football. Which is interesting. It’s a very different vibe here. There’s an almost jazzy elegance and beauty to his drummer on American Football’s debut. But on here there is a more frantic, intense aggressiveness. Cool to hear his diversity in style.

Anyway, I don’t want to go into detail on each musician. The vocalist is good but a little overly strained. And while I do like the ramshackle rough around the edges styled this album, it’s not my favorite.

Good to finally check out this classic emo album.

-------------------------

2.

@EyeKanFly, lets go with one of the all time legends...


Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Johnny Mercer Songbook by Ella Fitzgerald

------------------------

3.

You know me by now. I'm always thinking of new gimmicks. So my newest gimmick is I will take the top 1000 albums on RYM. I have 400 or so albums to hear on it and what I will do is Pick ONE album from each page of 40 albums (the last page will be more like 50 albums...) and I will pick one album off the list that I am most intrigued by or most interested in hearing again for more thorough evaluation or reminding. Still excluding any sort of soundtrack or classical music ( so the rank is in a list of all LPs and Mixtapes excluding live, archival, western classical and any sort of soundtrack/score.)

1. Close to a World Below by Immolation/2000/RYM #368 all time album (I really just want to dive into this absolute classic. I hear its some stunning death metal.)

2. Yank Crime by Drive Like Jehu/1994/RYM #4658 all time album (I heard this once years ago, thought it was cool and never returned. Need to revisit this post hardcore classic)

3. Strawberry Jam by Animal Collective/2007/RYM #498 all time album (This band used to be just about the coolest band in the world and I remember never really getting swept up even remotely in the hype at their peak. Now that a decade+ has passed since their peak hype phase, I would like to listen with fresh ears. Can't remember anything about this album after all these years.)

4. Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings/1973/ RYM #574 all time album I've heard a few McCartney albums, including maybe this one - can't clearly remember. The only one I've really loved is Ram. This should be a good pop rock listen. Curious to hear it.)

5. Pierced From Within by Suffocation/1995/ RYM #662 all time album (I guess it is clear I have interest in expanding my knowledge and experience with death metal. Well, its true. And this is a cool looking and i hear a very intense death metal classic.

6. Necroticism: Descanting the Insalubrious by Carcass/1991/RYM #699 all time album (As one of the great godfathers of that grindy death metal sound and the creators of one of my fave metal albums, Heartwork, you'd think I'd be very very familiar with this album. However, I'm not. Somehow I have never pushed play on this album once. Death Metal!)

7. Leaving Your Body Map by maudlin of the Well/2001/RYM #797 all time album (interesting looking avant-garde metal. will listen to Bath released same day as well probably. I have found an excuse to include this on every single list of potential picks. surely, its time will come.)

8. Alien Lanes by Guided By Voices/1995/RYM #808 all time album (so I absolutely adore, worship even, Bee Thousand. And back when I was most smitten with that classic I bought this album and I listened to it several times iirc. But it never caught me or ensnared me like Bee Thousand for some reason. I think almost every time I pushed play on Alien Lanes I felt this urge to just jump back to my love Bee Thousand. Well, now that it has been a long time since I've heard any GbV, I think I need to revisit this bad boy.)

9. Tri Repetae by Autechre/1995/RYM #907 all time album (Okay, I had Confield on this list briefly, then removed it. Now I see this, Confield and LP5 are the highest rated of Autechre, so yeah I resubmit this IDM Glitchy classic as my page 9 nomination.)

10. Colored Sands by Gorguts/2013/RYM #999 all time album (OOOOooOOOoohhh lala I am excited to hear more from these gnarly gnotty naughty technical avant garde weirdo genius death metalllers! So, yeah here 'tis as a possible choice.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
1.


The 20/20 Experience by Justin Timberlake

I think this is the first time in my life I have actually sought out something by Justin Timberlake to listen to (well, kind of... it was assigned). I've always avoided him because I've found him obnoxious for a variety of reasons, the biggest one being how the whole incident with Janet Jackson played out. But even if this is unlikely to ever approach my overall chart, after listening I can totally understand the reasoning for putting it there. While it only has ten tracks, this is a sprawling album: 70 minutes, with no track shorter than 4:48. Depending on your perspective, you might think it's brilliantly ambitious and progressive or indulgent and overwrought. I come down somewhere in the middle. Regardless, the production (largely courtesy of Timbaland) and the song structures are the stars of the show. The songs generally unfold as suites with multiple distinct parts. Stylistically, they alternate between—and sometimes blend—lush, ornate arrangements and Timbaland's signature slick, contemporary r&b/hip-hop sound. Timberlake's vocals are mostly quite nice, but not stellar. The biggest stumbling blocks are lyrical, as there are some truly clunky lines. The second biggest is that certain parts of certain songs could use trimming. But overall, this is quite a good listen and definitely better than I was expecting based on the singles I knew. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. I listened to this once and thought it was great:


Band On The Run by Paul McCartney & Wings

~~~~~

3. Best-Selling Albums in the US

2020: My Turn - Lil Baby
2019: Hollywood's Bleeding - Post Malone
2018: Scorpion - Drake
2017: ÷ - Ed Sheeran
2016: Views - Drake
2010: Recovery - Eminem
2007: Noël - Josh Groban
2005: The Emancipation Of Mimi - Mariah Carey
2004: Confessions - Usher
2003: Get Rich Or Die Tryin’ - 50 Cent
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
1)

Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Johnny Mercer Songbook by Ella Fitzgerald
Out of the 8 or 9 Ella Fitzgerald Songbooks out there, this is the 6th I've listened to. Interestingly, I've listened to all the longest ones (Gershwins, Porter, Ellington, Rodgers & Hart) and left out the shorter, more digestible ones. The Johnny Mercer Songbook is on the more digestible side, coming it at 44 minutes. Other than Ellington, this is probably my favorite of hers. For whatever reason, although there are some amazing voices in vocal jazz, I've never been too impressed with the genre. Be it Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald, or even Louis Armstrong, I feel like it's just so much less interesting with a piano accompaniment instead of a full backing band.

The backing band here is maybe a little more prominent than on the Porter or Rodgers & Hart Songbooks, possibly because of the later recording date allowing for better recording technology and better balance between voice and instruments. Setting the jazz ensemble aside, Ella's voice is something special, and it really shines on the Johnny Mercer Songbook. "Laura", "Midnight Sun", and "Too Marvelous for Words" are my favorites here. 3.5/5

2)
Thanks for hopping in baystateofheart, I was a little nervous Mercury and I were just going to keep going back & forth 🤣
and uh... you should probably take off the Josh Groban album if you're not planning on listening to a Christmas album in summer/autumn. Otherwise I might just keep picking it haha. Assuming you're still not interested, let's go with:

Confessions by Usher
Awesome album, this one is actually well-deserved unlike many others on the list.
EDIT: Side note about Usher: I saw him live once and he had a broken leg. First of all, can't believe he still toured with his leg in a cast. Second, he had a gold blinged-out crutch which was pretty awesome. Third, he still put on an incredible performance. Guy could dance up a storm with one leg and one arm steadying the leg. Amazing performer, amazing singer. Confessions is the clear highlight of his career, though he did come back in 2010 with a few bangers.

NPR: The 150 Greatest Albums Made By Women:
47. Son Con Guaguancó by Celia Cruz (I realized I've heard a decent bit of Celia Cruz before, very much looking forward to this one)
51. Sassy Swings Again by Sarah Vaughan
52. Nick of Time by Bonnie Raitt (almost certain I've heard this before but haven't marked it "listened" or rated it on BEA, so I should probably relisten)
58. Nightbirds by Labelle
59. Indigo Girls by Indigo Girls
61. The Writing's on the Wall by Destiny's Child (know most of the tracks but never listened to the album in full)
65. Blue Light 'Til Dawn by Cassandra Wilson
68. King's Record Shop by Rosanne Cash
70. Bella Donna by Stevie Nicks
71. Blacks' Magic by Salt-N-Pepa (this album doesn't have the hits by SnP that I know, so I might be going in blind)
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
(1)

Exile On Main St. by The Rolling Stones
So yeah the Stones are one of the bands I've discovered back in primary school (not surprising) and I love a lot of their songs. I've also never been into their albums, not then and not later, mainly because the hits and some of my favourite deep cuts are enough. I don't need or want to listen to a few mediocre songs every time I play the Stones, which happens on all of their albums imo. This one's not any different, as Turd on the Run cannot be described as anything other than a turd. There's a few other so-so songs, but for its length, I've always considered Exile to be a relatively consistent album. On average, maybe the most consistent they've done. The highlights though, not as good as Let it Bleed or Sticky Fingers, although there's a fair few of them. I'm basic so gonna go with Shine a Light, Sweet Virginia, Rocks Off, Happy and Tumbling Dice - basically the hits. Low 8/10

(2)
Stevie Nicks next

(3)
Shape of Despair - Angels of Distress
The Twilight Sad - Fourteen Autumns and Fifteen Winters
Sandwell District - Feed-Forward
Eliane Radigue - Trilogie de la mort
Robbie Basho - Venus In Cancer
Navy Blue - Navy's Reprise
Amebix - Arise!
David S. Ware - Surrendered
Japan - Gentlemen Take Polaroids
S280F - 28
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 371372373 ... 444445446  Next
Page 372 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.