Since my early days on BEA, my listening habits and chart composition have leaned heavily toward older music, 60s-80s. I'm going to use this music diary to make a serious effort to delve into newer music. I'll document my journey here. Suggestions/recommendations are of course welcome.
Have enjoyed first 2 albums thus far. Room on Fire seems like another consistent Strokes album. The Universe Smiles Upon You was cool guitar music. Kind of Grateful Dead meets Steely Dan.
I'll definitely be using this chart for this diary, especially since I see there's a lot of rock so it'll be a smoother transition for me to start getting into newer music.
Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s by sethmadsen
Also a comment on TPAB: Absolutely amazing after a first listen. I'll definitely want to listen a few more times before I give a more complete review it deserves. _________________
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
I'll definitely be using this chart for this diary, especially since I see there's a lot of rock so it'll be a smoother transition for me to start getting into newer music.
Top 100 Music Albums of the 2010s by sethmadsen
Also a comment on TPAB: Absolutely amazing after a first listen. I'll definitely want to listen a few more times before I give a more complete review it deserves.
Good luck mate.
I'm probably the most boring 2010s chart out there. I mean I like all those albums, but it's probably the last 2010s chart you'd go to to find new 2010s music. Having said that maybe look at the artists you aren't familiar with or go to my 2017 album... there's some great "new" artists there.
That's of course if you want new artists. If you want good music, I stand by my 2010s chart as such.
JasonconfusedIf We Make It We Can All Sit Back and LaughProfile California
TPAB is stunning and I'm not really sure I'm ready to give a deep review of it even after a couple of listens. I feel strangely unqualified to do so.
Anyway, I also checked out the following album and loved it. The vocals are like listening to Syd Barrett, but the music is less experimental. Still, I'd love to check out more contemporary stuff like this if anyone is familiar with it.
Also a comment on TPAB: Absolutely amazing after a first listen. I'll definitely want to listen a few more times before I give a more complete review it deserves.
Jasonconfused wrote:
TPAB is stunning and I'm not really sure I'm ready to give a deep review of it even after a couple of listens. I feel strangely unqualified to do so.
Made me smile with this. love x1,000,000. One of those albums (proibably one of 20 or so... the 20-30 that hang around my top of my chart) which on any given day could be my favorite of all time. One of those rare albums which is so incredibly massive in every way, experimental yet approachable, political and personal. Technically skilled in the extreme but not masturbatory. And with such flushed out themes running throughout and with never more than a minute separating moments of ear-catching candy. Just stunning.
Kendrick made 2 masterpieces in a row. His previous album, Good Kid Maad City, is another "concept" or story album. Less dense, but arguably in the same tier of greatness as TPOB. If To Pimp a Butterfly is The Godfather Part II, then GKMC is The Godfather. both are already destined to be hip hop and american music classics.
Anyway, I'm glad about a lot of things. I'm glad to have you back in these parts. I'm glad you loved TPOB. And I'm just glad about some old school BEAers coming back.
------
As for recommendations, if you wanna hear some boundary pushing hip hop which is boundary pushing in a different way, but still amazing (and also on my chart) check out Danny Brown's album"Atrocity Exhibition". Cool name. I know you have a love for Joy Division's "Closer". Well this is nothing like that but has that name, which is something.
Has a cool cover and some seriously mind-bending beats which shouldn't work but do... also an all time classic of classics in the song "Really Doe"...
Wait, how is it possible I never found this before? It's right up my alley. Like Tom Petty but with that modern rock sound that sometimes flirts with ambient. If anyone can recommend more new stuff like this I'd really appreciate it.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum