A Metal Club (2 the head)

View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/25/2021 07:03
  • Post subject: A Metal Club (2 the head)
1995 Death Metal Battle - To The Death, Of Course!

Symbolic by Death (Metal)

vs.

Slaughter Of The Soul by At The Gates

Ok, Metalheads of BEA, I'm properly tight after watching my boy Brady lead yet another team to the Super Bowl. My kids are tucked in upstairs and I've been listening to music from 1995 just because I need to get that year chart up to 100! You know what I'm talking about it. Wink Anyways, It struck me that easily two of the best, if not the best, Death Metal albums of all time were both unleashed in 1995. Gowi wanted to bring this thread back a few years ago, and now with the emergence of of metal sprouting up on the 2021 thread, I thought the time felt ripe for us all to geek out about the nerdiest genre of 'em all - Metal. I mean It's NOT going to get you laid. Nevertheless, she persisted! lol.

ANYWAYS, Back To The Albums!

Which is better? Why?

BONUS: Would you rather live in Tampa Bay, Florida (GO BRADY!!!) or Gothenburg, Sweden?!

UP THE IRONS! \m/

Here's the original thread from way back...

https://www.besteveralbums.com/phpBB2/v...988#396988
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 01/25/2021 13:13
  • Post subject:
Man, I haven't listened to Symbolic in a long time, but it's one of the best metal albums ever released. I might give it another listen today!

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
UofTBlues

Canada

• Posted: 01/25/2021 17:26
  • Post subject:
Slaughter of the Soul hands down. Symbolic is Death's weakest album. I would rather live in Sweden than Florida.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/25/2021 20:10
  • Post subject:
I love early At the Gates, I even like their newer work. Saw them live a few years ago, great show. I get all nostalgic when bangers like Blinded By Fear, Cold, Nausea or Under a Serpent Sun are on. And still, Symbolic is a better album, no doubt.

Also The Red in the Sky is Ours is (almost) as good as Slaughter of the Soul

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/26/2021 17:12
  • Post subject:
hmm... this may be just the nudge I need to actually start my long planned or thought-about project to finally try to get a bit more of a basic initiation on Death Metal. I just made a list of 10 essential Death, Black, Grindcore, Power Metal, Thrash, Traditional Heavy Metal, etc albums that I feel like I just need to set down and listen closely to. Symbolic is one I've heard several times but I always leave overwhelmed by its complexity but unmoved emotionally. Symbolic is on my 10 albums list on my Diary. I don't believe that At The Gates album is though. Will listen to both soon-ish and see which tickles my fancy dress more.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/27/2021 03:06
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
hmm... this may be just the nudge I need to actually start my long planned or thought-about project to finally try to get a bit more of a basic initiation on Death Metal. I just made a list of 10 essential Death, Black, Grindcore, Power Metal, Thrash, Traditional Heavy Metal, etc albums that I feel like I just need to set down and listen closely to. Symbolic is one I've heard several times but I always leave overwhelmed by its complexity but unmoved emotionally. Symbolic is on my 10 albums list on my Diary. I don't believe that At The Gates album is though. Will listen to both soon-ish and see which tickles my fancy dress more.

I honestly cannot think of two better albums to get one into Death Metal. Both are canon, but incredibly different thus giving a pretty cool perspective of what was possible for Death Metal as a genre. It's also cool that they're both from 1995 and from two of the most important geographic regions associated with Death Metal - Florida & Gothenburg, Sweden.

Initially I think you will like At The Gates better. It's immediate and in your face. Yet, it it also has some achingly beautiful passages. Symbolic takes a bit more time to open. But so worth it. The production is very prog-y and even reminds me of mid-80s Rush at some points which is pretty crazy considering what Death sounded like back on Scream Bloody Gore (which I love as well.) But on repeat listens, this album really opens up. Schuldiner's guitar playing is incredibly emotional & beautiful on it.
  • Visit poster's website