Most of the Overall Charts albums are from the UK or USA

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Kiki

• Posted: 11/01/2014 21:37
  • Post subject: Most of the Overall Charts albums are from the UK or USA
It's easy to notice. Out of the top 10,000 albums on the website over 70% are from UK or USA. It's right there in the numbers!

Is this a fact of BEA? Because those two countries have the largest number of users here? Is it worth intentionally finding music not from those two countries? Would you like to see it change at all?

I am fine with it on the overall yet when it comes to albums I have listened to I am trying to increase the amount of albums from different countries than those two. Outside of Canada, UK and USA I have no single country I have listened to more than 100 albums from. Razz

I has help find many great albums so far.
PsychologistHD

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2014 22:19
  • Post subject:
People like English. What can we do?
  • Visit poster's website
Tap
to resume download

United States

• Posted: 11/01/2014 23:55
  • Post subject:
I mean I don't really care about lyrics so the English thing shouldn't be a factor for me, but I still have a similar sort of bias with what I've really paid attention to. The lyrics thing is probably a huge player in why it's happening generally, but there's probably also the diminished opportunity for listeners and the people writing about music who have the biggest reach not having opportunities to see the artists live, and probably a million other factors.

I like how this site is able to help call attention to those biases, this gives me an idea to maybe try start building up some custom country specific lists. I figure if there's places I haven't been paying attention to then there's a good chance to find a bunch of stuff I like.
  • Visit poster's website
newbands1

• Posted: 11/02/2014 01:06
  • Post subject:
The difficulty in trying to explorer music from other countries is that their titles and information on those usually are in another language,and you'd have to use google translate or rely on some kind of blog that provides info on these artists in English
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2014 01:22
  • Post subject:
It would be helpful if we could, instead of selecting which single country we want to show, if there was an option to NOT show selected countries. If you could customize the overall chart to exclude albums from the US and the UK...THAT would be interesting!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
sp4cetiger

• Posted: 11/02/2014 01:46
  • Post subject:
% of albums on BEA from countries other than UK or USA (according to the decade charts):

1950s: 12% (UK is only 1% in the 1950s)
1960s: 16%
1970s: 22%
1980s: 19%
1990s: 20%
2000s: 21%
2010s: 24%

It might be getting better... slowly.
benpaco
Who's gonna watch you die?

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2014 03:22
  • Post subject:
sp4cetiger wrote:
% of albums on BEA from countries other than UK or USA (according to the decade charts):

1950s: 12% (UK is only 1% in the 1950s)
1960s: 16%
1970s: 22%
1980s: 19%
1990s: 20%
2000s: 21%
2010s: 24%

It might be getting better... slowly.

Think of it this way: the internet makes it so that a Liechtenstienian folk album could be streamed in the US, and at the same time with the collapse of the USSR, there's suddenly way more freedom in the music some countries make which has not always existed. I think the number should continue to slowly rise because of these factors and plateau at under 33%, but I could be wrong.

. . . 2016 . . . 2015 . . .

Things I Make
  • Visit poster's website
latenighttv

• Posted: 11/02/2014 09:55
  • Post subject:
For what it's worth, most “Scandinavian” bands / artists (even the ones that don't make international breakthroughs) sing in English and the same can be said for a lot of artists from the Benelux countries too, I think. Singing in English doesn't just seem to increase these acts' chances of becoming better known in USA, UK etc., but it also increases their chances of enjoying success on European continent (eg, a Norwegian band might have a chance of enjoying success in Germany or Italy if they sing in English but they've no hope of doing that if they perform in Norwegian).

English-speaking countries that aren't US or UK are also littered with hidden gems - for every Arcade Fire, Nick Cave or U2 there're dozens of bands / artists that coulda / shoulda become internationally known.
  • Visit poster's website
Romanelli
Bone Swah

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2014 14:48
  • Post subject:
When I was at the age most of you are now, I had no access to most of the music that was made in countries other than the US, Canada, and the UK. It's only recently that this music was made widely available to people in those countries on a large level.

To me, that explains it all.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 11/02/2014 14:53
  • Post subject:
Romanelli wrote:
When I was at the age most of you are now, I had no access to most of the music that was made in countries other than the US, Canada, and the UK. It's only recently that this music was made widely available to people in those countries on a large level.

To me, that explains it all.

That sounds about right. It's easy to forget that. This whole internet based free exchange of music and also easy access to otherwise hard to find and obscure music started only in the last decade or so. Before that it was about shopping for music, finding cool radio stations, I imagine it was a bitch to try to really delve deep into your miso of choice. Like in 1995 if you wanted to learn a lot about 70s German experimental rock, how ducking hard must it have been to uncover and listen to all the Faust as Can and Kraftwerk etc? Not to mention the even more obscure than those... Weird how much things have changed.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website