The Repo Zone: 1999

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 153, 154, 155, 156, 157  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/24/2023 20:26
  • Post subject:
Me even later with happy bday Embarassed .

And here is my top 7:
1. Of course Master of Puppets
2. Somewhere In Time by Iron Maiden
3. Evol by Sonic Youth can indeed count in my opinion
4. Reign In Blood by Slayer
5. Orgasmatron by Motörhead
6. Atomizer by Big Black
7. Big Sexy Land by Revolting Cocks
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2023 01:42
  • Post subject:
Thanks for all the Birthday Wishes, guys!!! They were ALL right on time! Cool

Lots of great recs, and I already started checking out a few of them over Thanksgiving Break. Me & my kids headed to Grand Rapids for our biennial Thanksgiving and had tons of fun. Highlight might have been finding this off-the-beaten path sushi stand in the basement lobby of an office building. <My kids love sushi more than pizza. Brick wall >

Ok, before I get started just a couple of things I'd like to do to clean house in this thread. First, I wrote two reviews in the Album Under You Canon Thread that rightfully should be filed here as well. Two, I'm kinda geeked out to see how my Top Tens from '79-'85 will look placed next to each other.

========================================================================================== ======================

'85.g Jack Be Nimble!

Walls Of Jericho by Helloween

Just in time for Halloween. AND what a treat! Not a trick in sight with this deliciously tasty Speed Metal CLASSIC! Besides Agent Steel's own debut, also released in 1985, I can't think of a better pure Speed Metal album. It's Judas Priest on speed, BUT with a certain nimbleness and playfulness that really causes it to stand out from its peers. A very different Helloween than the one that would release the Keeper Of The Seven Keys duology a few years hence. Whereas the Keepers have an obvious Queensryche influence thrown into the pot, this is basically pure Priest worship with a touch of Accept (see "Gorgar") and a whiff of Scorpions (see "How Many Tears"). BUT just done with so much joy that it leaves you with a smile from ear to ear.

Highly recommended for any and all Priest heads or anyone who wants to know what vintage, straight-up Speed Metal done right sounds like.

Do NOT – I repeat DO NOT – overlook their fantastic self-titled EP either. Its songs are just as good <if not better Twisted Evil > as any on Walls of Jericho!

The Ranking: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

'85.h Get IN The Pit
Aka Deodorant would be useless at this point Not talking

Behind The Realms Of Madness by Sacrilege (UK)

Ooozy punk slithers on up through swamps overridden by blue-green algae as crusty Slayer riffs bubble to the surface. It’s hardcore punk left in the sun to melt & morph into the prokarytotic ooze that is known as stenchcore.

Stenchcore. crustcore. Call-it-waht-u-will-core. THIS is music of the pit, by the pit and for the pit. So HELP me god. So call it whatever u want to call it. It don’t mind. I can guarantee u that. It sounds like the crusties smell - Unshowered and strong.

Harcore punk rarely gets better than this so it’s abso-fuckinglutely essential. So. There's only ONE thing left to do is. <Ain't it obvious! Twisted Evil >

Get IN the pit!

The Ranking: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2023 13:12
  • Post subject:
RockyRaccoon wrote:

Some metal recommendations that haven't been mentioned from 1986 (in order of my personal preference):

Mechanical Resonance - Tesla

and if you feel like diving into a bit of hair metal:

The Final Countdown - Europe
Look What the Cat Dragged In - Poison
Night Songs - Cinderella

In going back through some of my old lists from the '70s and listening to Tesla's Mechanical Resonance, it's just striking to me how forgotten and yet MASSIVELY important '70s Aerosmith was on '80s hair metal and Tesla in particular. I would firmly place Tesla in Hair Metal territory personally. One of the better ones at that! And God that Poison album is crazy catchy and Cinderella rocks HARDER than I remembered! Lots of good stuff here!!!

'70s Aerosmith deserves MORE love!!! Twisted Evil \m/
  • Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 11/28/2023 13:31
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:

In going back through some of my old lists from the '70s and listening to Tesla's Mechanical Resonance, it's just striking to me how forgotten and yet MASSIVELY important '70s Aerosmith was on '80s hair metal and Tesla in particular. I would firmly place Tesla in Hair Metal territory personally. One of the better ones at that! And God that Poison album is crazy catchy and Cinderella rocks HARDER than I remembered! Lots of good stuff here!!!

'70s Aerosmith deserves MORE love!!! Twisted Evil \m/

Interesting, I hadn't thought of how Aerosmith influenced those bands but it totally makes sense. I know at the very least Slash idolized those guys, based on what he wrote in his memoir, so it would make sense that a bunch of those hair metal guys from the 80s would've basically taken Aerosmith and jacked it up a notch.

And yeah, I'd classify Tesla as hair metal as well, though I've always thought they had a bit of a heavier sound than your typical hair metal band. And man can Frank Hannon and Tommy Skeoch rip on guitar

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/11/2023 02:44
  • Post subject:
86:a The Dreaded Case of the Second Side Syndromes
aka The Wasted Wayne Years

The Dark by Metal Church

A lot of people misunderstand Metal Church. I’m here to set the record straight. Metal Church, at least the 80s stuff that I know, were NOT a Thrash band. They were America’s answer to Judas Priest. And at times, on both their self-titled debut from 1985 and this, 1986's The Dark, they succeeded. For stretches, they would sound like the best Trad-Metal band on the entire planet not named Iron Maiden. They even future-faked Maiden a bit with "Method To Your Madness," which for the life of me sounds just like a song I can't name from Iron Maiden's FUTURE discog!

But turn the record over on BOTH their self-titled debut and The Dark, and you get some pretty skippable and entirely forgettable slabs of generic Trad. Which is too bad because their A-sides are right up there with the best 80s metal, AND their singer David Wayne could scream with the best of 'em. Wasted years indeed!

A-side: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

B-side: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2023 01:27
  • Post subject:
'86:b A Loss of Words as The Storm Approaches

EVOL by Sonic Youth

I don't even feel qualified to write about this album. It's sound transcends EVERYTHING up to that point, and no one, even decades later, has ever really topped it. It's the first of Sonic Youth's three masterpieces all coming right at ya in short succession. Sonic Youth just owned the eighties. Evol is a mash-up of post-rock and post-hardcore before those two genres really even existed. It's a storm set to music. And I mean ALL PARTS of the storm. No one captures the melancholy and beauty of a storm coming in quite like this. There's a tenderness to these songs. And despite being artsy, it's always accessible and melodic. A case can be made that this is one of the best indie rock albums of all time. It certainly would make any list I'd draft up.

AND, it would EASILY be my #1 Heavy Shit album of '86 <if I thought it qualified Embarassed . >

The Rating: Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/20/2023 02:21
  • Post subject:
As a coincidence I was just listening to some 1986 stuff, so I already had my playlist open.

I mean, the year has about 30 iconic releases from various well-known groups, so I'll throw out a few that should not be missed.

Here would be 5 for the year that I would consider. In no particular order. (And EVOL is maybe my favorite SY album) Very Happy

The Age Of Quarrel by Cro-Mags

Doomsday For The Deceiver by Flotsam And Jetsam

Pleasure To Kill by Kreator

Kings Of Punk by Poison Idea

Bloody Vengeance by Vulcano
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/29/2023 09:19
  • Post subject:
1. Reign In Blood by Slayer
2. Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass
3. Pleasure To Kill by Kreator

4. Darkness Descends by Dark Angel
5. Awaken The Guardian by Fates Warning
6. Peace Sells... But Who's Buying? by Megadeth
7. Orgasmatron by Motörhead
8. Somewhere In Time by Iron Maiden
9. Street Lethal by Racer X
10. The Force by Onslaught
11. Graceful Inheritance by Heir Apparent
12. Born Too Late by Saint Vitus
13. Crimson Glory by Crimson Glory
14. Tightrope by Anthem
15. The Dark by Metal Church
16. Fifth Angel by Fifth Angel
17. Master Of Puppets by Metallica
18. Game Over by Nuclear Assault
19. The Deluge by Manilla Road
20. Dancing Undercover by Ratt

Best Metal Songs of 1986:

Link

Link

Link

Link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/21/2024 05:11
  • Post subject:
This is a great thread. I have only checked the first and last few pages but this is great.
Any thread that starts with Donovan and Bert Jansch bodes well.
I've never been a Metalhead but I have always loved Sabbath and Iron Maiden so there is hope for me yet!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 01/21/2024 14:11
  • Post subject:
CharlieBarley wrote:
This is a great thread. I have only checked the first and last few pages but this is great.
Any thread that starts with Donovan and Bert Jansch bodes well.
I've never been a Metalhead but I have always loved Sabbath and Iron Maiden so there is hope for me yet!

yeah! this thread took quite the detour from The Mellow Zone to The Repo Zone! Check out that Candlemass album ....

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass

I think it's a good place for someone who loves Sabbath to delve into 1986 metal.

Last edited by Repo on 01/21/2024 15:13; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website