Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 34, 35, 36  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 17:54
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
Quote:
I need to get into the chillwave genre really badly.

If that's the case Neon Indian needs to be next if you have not given him a listen. Maybe his first album instead of this one, but I really like this one.

VEGA INTL. Night School by Neon Indian

Will do. Curious, have you been enjoying my journal Chief?
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 18:08
  • Post subject:
Excellent diary so far, Luigii! I'm loving the short reviews and you're picking some interesting albums. Also I adore Hounds of Love, so that is a quick route into my heart.

As far as Silent Shout and your review of it, I generally agree. Most of it works and it does have a very unique sound. Pretty great album. I may even love Fever Ray's solo album even more. She's half of the Knife. This album...

Fever Ray by Fever Ray

is a haunting beautiful album sith some weird and somewhat disconcerting moments. I think its a bit more "gentle" of an album than Silent Shout. So yeah. there ya go. Keep up the good work here.

oh and as for other "dark" electronic music, I love mostly super strange and dark and claustrophobic ambient albums or albums with heavy ambient influences. Personal favorites you may enjot if you ever get a bit of time to listen to them (and I actually think you may have already checked these out) are:

Ravedeath, 1972 by Tim Hecker

This is easily one of my all time favorite albums. Just stunning and amazing. Tim Hecker is incredibly consistent and if you love this, his albums Virgins, Harmony In Ultraviolet, or Haunt Me Haunt Me Do It Again are also stunning.

also...

Black Noise by Pantha Du Prince

Another excellent, dark, richly ambient micro-house album (full disclosure: I only said micro house cuz thats what it is called on RYM. I suppose I can hear that description in the music as well)

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 18:31
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Excellent diary so far, Luigii! I'm loving the short reviews and you're picking some interesting albums. Also I adore Hounds of Love, so that is a quick route into my heart.

As far as Silent Shout and your review of it, I generally agree. Most of it works and it does have a very unique sound. Pretty great album. I may even love Fever Ray's solo album even more. She's half of the Knife. This album...

Fever Ray by Fever Ray

is a haunting beautiful album sith some weird and somewhat disconcerting moments. I think its a bit more "gentle" of an album than Silent Shout. So yeah. there ya go. Keep up the good work here.

oh and as for other "dark" electronic music, I love mostly super strange and dark and claustrophobic ambient albums or albums with heavy ambient influences. Personal favorites you may enjot if you ever get a bit of time to listen to them (and I actually think you may have already checked these out) are:

Ravedeath, 1972 by Tim Hecker

This is easily one of my all time favorite albums. Just stunning and amazing. Tim Hecker is incredibly consistent and if you love this, his albums Virgins, Harmony In Ultraviolet, or Haunt Me Haunt Me Do It Again are also stunning.

also...

Black Noise by Pantha Du Prince

Another excellent, dark, richly ambient micro-house album (full disclosure: I only said micro house cuz thats what it is called on RYM. I suppose I can hear that description in the music as well)

I'm really grateful for the response. Now with Fever Ray, I got half way into the album. And I will probably be with you where I prefer it more. Realistically due to it being not as obnoxiuos as the few tracks off of Silent Shout. And might go back to that record more often.
Now with Tim Hecker, I love Harmony in Ultraviolet. Gave that record a 100. On my best list as well as the 2000's decade list I made.And will give the last record a listen. Though my backlog is ridiculous.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 20:55
  • Post subject:
Album 3 Time warp to the 70's

As of now, this record is close to hitting the top 100 records on this website. Ranked at 101.
Now on to the review.
Back on Sunday night when I was listening to Bjork's Post as well as Kate Bushes Hounds of Love, the Youtube recommendations decided to give me Joni Mitchell's Blue. I was curious because I was interested in folk. Gave it a listen. And thought the record was beautiful. I do love the variation of piano ballads as well as folk songs. A lot of the instrumentals that are presented here has this aura of just going back to a simpler time. Having no troubles at all. Hell, I remember that the news was on and didn't really care. The music was that powerful that anything dangerous in the world can be flicked by your hands. Also do love Joni's carefree attitude as well as her vocals.She is very welcoming to the listener. She also has weight to her vocals that her words are meaningful. Give this record a listen if you haven't. Also can't we get this record in the top 100?
Grade:100
P.S As of writing this mini review, I am listening to:

Stay tuned.

Last edited by Luigii on 08/10/2017 15:04; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 21:08
  • Post subject:
Well that was quick.

This was a very calming and chill session from Miles and crew. Has hold immensely especially being almost 50 years old by this point of time. But then again a lot of jazz and funk records has that quality to them that makes us come back to them over and over again.
Grade:95
Will post whenever.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2017 02:04
  • Post subject:
Album 4:A misunderstood diamond.
So I have been know well on my diaries to making mini reviews on this diary forum. Well, this post is going to go full detail to describe a record from 2015 that I adore completely but has gone under the radar for multiple people. And what is the record I am speaking of? It's this one.

First:The Context
This record came out 2 years after their debut Settle. A record that I do admire and enjoy a good amount of it. However, I feel after listening to this record, I feel Settle has become somewhat "dated"I will get to this in a bit.Now, my history of the duo was that I heard the hit song with Sam Smith called Latch. One of my personal favorite hit songs of the decade. Mainly because that compared to a lot of the electronic hits that gets aired on the radio is boring to me personally. While Latch was a chilled, down-tempo piece that had soul and stopped me in my place. Now the sophomore record I was not really hyped for until maybe near 2 weeks of its release. Was not really in the loop for records. Until I listen to the minimix for the record. And after I heard it, I was awestruck. Almost 2 years later to my personal self, I have listened to this probably over 400 times. No that isn't an exaggerated, this is true.
Second:The Reasoning
As a whole, this record has a dreamy, futuristic, spacey and imaginative sound palette in house, down-tempo, R&B, soul and pop. Also each song has a progression very similar to the Bit Trip Series. And lyrics that revolve around love, human interaction, and personal feelings with every singer on every track. Now a little earlier, I said Settle sounds a bit dated. I feel it is dated due to the beat construction off that record as well as every song sounds very similar to one another. Caracal to my ears never had this problem at all. Then again if it did, I wouldn't had listen to it that much.
Third:The Tracks Will go into the things I love for every track.
The album starts off with Nocturnal ft The Weeknd.
Love the ghostly synths, the vulnerability of The Weeknd and the musical explosion near 5 minutes in the track. Oh, and the hello sample that I think came from Tim Hecker's Harmony in Ultraviolet.
Omen ft Sam Smith
Love the futuristic club vibe, the vocal "manipulations" and shows that the duo know when to end a song.
Holding' On ft Gregory Porter
Love the charisma of Gregory Porter, the consistent hype of the track and reminds me of The Super Monkey Ball games off of the Nintendo Gamecube.
Hourglass ft Lion Babe
Love the mysteriousness and the vocals off the track.
Willing and Able ft Kwabs
Love the vocals as well as the retro soul quality and the galactic synthesizers.
Magnets ft Lorde
Love the sensual vocals, as well as the sensual track that glides you and your significant other to a different solar system.
Jaded
The story that goes on in this track is amazing as well as the mobius strip of the instrumental of the track where it comes from a very lofty and dreamy synthesizers to a cold and calculated head banger. And it works.
Good Intentions ft Miguel
Love the synth arpeggios as well the feeling of being in the far reaches of space.
Superego ft Nao
Love the aquatic instrumental and the vocals.
Echoes.
The irresistible beats as well as the sing along vocals.
Masterpiece ft Jordan Rakei
Love the vocals and the sound play.
Molecules
The funky bass as well as the down to earth, sincere and sweet vocals.
Moving Mountains ft Brandon Reilly
The breakdown near the tail end of the track is amazing.
Afterthought
Love this track. Then again I love every track off this album.
Last:The Conclusion
I adore this record to death. I haven't mention every detail off this album. But hopefully my response might convince you to give a chance. Grade:100
Also to give a preview for this record, Disclosure actually posted a minimix on youtube.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...nB1F82nPCA
No more music posts for today. But will respond to other comments. See you with a music response tomorrow.

Last edited by Luigii on 08/02/2017 22:15; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 08/02/2017 03:11
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:

I adore this record to death. I haven't mention every detail off this album. But hopefully my response might convince you to give a chance. Grade:100

Wow! You're like the only person I know of who hasn't condemned Caracal. Might actually give it a try now, who knows!

You diary is amazing btw. I know your name is Luigii & all but I love how you draw comparisons between sounds & Nintendo games. It's really fun!

Anyway, keep on keeping on man! Wink

EDIT: PLEASE! PLEASE! PLEASE! review something by Talking Heads, I think you'd love Speaking In Tongues. Maybe even Remain In Light (my favourite) or Talking Heads: 77.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2017 03:19
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
Luigii wrote:

Wow! You're like the only person I know of who hasn't condemned Caracal. Might actually give it a try now, who knows!

You diary is amazing btw. I know your name is Luigii & all but I love how you draw comparisons between sounds & Nintendo games. It's really fun!

Anyway, keep on keeping on man! Wink

Thank you my man. With Caracal, I do mean it with my heart. Honestly the people who said this record was a grave disappointment were over reacting. Listening to this record so much really made me pay attention to it. You might not like the record. But I can tell that Disclosure were blasting on full cylinders to give all there tracks with details that you won't pick up on the first time. Plus with the Nintendo games, I think tomorrow I will comment on a video game ost. So I will keep this music diary poppin. If you do listen to Caracal, let me known what you think. Take your time. Don't rush it.
  • Visit poster's website
Luigii

United States

• Posted: 08/02/2017 03:21
  • Post subject:
Oh and Remain In Light is in my threshold of my backlog. Might do it tomorrow.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 08/02/2017 04:22
  • Post subject:
Luigii wrote:
You might not like the record. But I can tell that Disclosure were blasting on full cylinders to give all there tracks with details that you won't pick up on the first time....

...Take your time. Don't rush it.

OK will do. I was like that with Grizzly Bear up until recently. Now I'm obsessed with them.

Luigii wrote:
Oh and Remain In Light is in my threshold of my backlog. Might do it tomorrow.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website