GENRES defined by links to a single band.

Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 00:23
  • Post subject: GENRES defined by links to a single band.
I was listening to the SIRIUS XM station (#21) Little Steven's Underground Garage. Little Steven came on and was talking about how many people ask him to define the "garage" music his station plays. His reply was that all of the "garage" music on his station has something in common...it's all connected to the Ramones! It's either music that has inspired the Ramones or music that has been inspired by the Ramones.

I liked his simple definition of "garage" music. I know the Ramones are considered "punk." But, there's a lot of truth to what Little Steven said.

I thought this leads to a good question to ask the group.

Can you think of other bands who provide the same link to a genre as the Ramones did in Little Steven's example?

I think another logical example would be for "heavy metal." Black Sabbath is the link. Listen to XM Radio's Ozzy's Boneyard. Everything they play on there either inspired Black Sabbath (Hendrix, Blue Cheer, Cream) or was inspired by Black Sabbath (Metallica, Alice In Chains, Kyuss)

Okay, can you think of other essential links out there to specific genres?? I think this would be a great discussion. Very Happy (Try to spend more effort of coming up with the link and less time over arguing how the genre should be defined, okay? Sheesh...I know how you folks get. lol)
carpents

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 00:44
  • Post subject:
GbVfi, pretty much the definition of what you're asking!
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 08/01/2017 08:01
  • Post subject:
Deerhunter describe themselves as "ambient punk" on these albums (& EP):

Cryptograms by Deerhunter

Fluorescent Grey by Deerhunter

Microcastle by Deerhunter

Weird Era Cont. by Deerhunter

I don't know any other band that would either view themselves in this way or pull off the same blend of noise, krautrock, shoegaze, post-punk, ambient & neo-pysch so well. Is this what you're looking for?

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 11:17
  • Post subject:
Im not QUITE sure I grasp the concept here. Garage is a type of house music, as in UK Garage or NY Garage. So right off the bat I'm confused as to why he calls Ramones garage music. but anyway, is this what you mean? something like this?

Bob Dylan is linked to folk-rock and country-rock because he made the first examples of these that started entire trends and entire genres. He had a link to the Byrds who were the first Superstars of, first, folk rock and then country-rock. And they in turn inspired groups like Crosby Stills Nash & Young which led to the whole Folk and country rock genres that lasted throughout the entire seventies. Am i grasping the idea or no?
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/01/2017 11:27
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Im not QUITE sure I grasp the concept here. Garage is a type of house music, as in UK Garage or NY Garage. So right off the bat I'm confused as to why he calls Ramones garage music. but anyway, is this what you mean? something like this?

Err... no.

Garage 'rock' would go right back to the 60s with (as the name would suggest) self-starting proto-punk outfits making a racket in whatever rehearsal space they could find (such as their garage, for example). See here.

As such you're talking about bands like The Monks, The Sonics, The Count Five et al. Raw rock 'n' roll, far from the polished stuff that some of the British Invasion bands were coming up with. This kind of thing (in fact this album is one of my all-time favourite compys):

Link

'Garage' music as you define it originated at the Paradise Garage club - to explain it simply, it's house music with a bit more soul/R&B feel, although its history is far more complex than that.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 11:32
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Err... no.

Garage 'rock' would go right back to the 60s with (as the name would suggest) self-starting proto-punk outfits making a racket in whatever rehearsal space they could find (such as their garage, for example). See here.

As such you're talking about bands like The Monks, The Sonics, The Count Five et al. Raw rock 'n' roll, far from the polished stuff that some of the British Invasion bands were coming up with. This kind of thing (in fact this album is one of my all-time favourite compys):

Link

'Garage' music as you define it originated at the Paradise Garage club - to explain it simply, it's house music with a bit more soul/R&B feel, although its history is far more complex than that.

Oh okay. He was talking about garage BANDS, not garage music. I dont no wife know why I didn't make the connection probably because nobody used the terms garage music to refer to garage bands
  • Visit poster's website
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 08/01/2017 11:35
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:
Oh okay. He was talking about garage BANDS, not garage music. I dont no wife know why I didn't make the connection probably because nobody used the terms garage music to refer to garage bands

I think you'll find garage 'rock' is a genre with a long lineage, from The Sonics down to Jay Reatard and beyond...
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 11:36
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Err... no.

Link

Oh okay. He was talking about garage BANDS, not garage music. I dont know why I didn't make the connection. probably because nobody used the term "garage music"to refer to garage bands. Nobody said " The Kingsmen make garage music". They just said " Theyre a garage band".
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 12:10
  • Post subject:
[quote="bobbyb5"]
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Err... no.

Link

I don't know if you're familiar with the Nuggets album, but it's the greatest collection of garage band singles ever. I picked it up when I was a teenager in the late 80s and I was so thrilled to have a collection of all the songs i remembered hearing on oldies radio when I was a little kid. Then I started buying all its imitators, which werent quite as great but still pretty good.
  • Visit poster's website
Captain_Dude

United States

• Posted: 08/01/2017 15:32
  • Post subject:
Yep. That's what I figured would happen.... sigh.

The whole reason why I just said "garage" music (notice that music is not part of the quoted area) is that I didn't want ten people telling me that the Ramones aren't "garage rock."

But, then again, Little Steven doesn't call his station "Little Steven's Underground All-Things-Related-to-How-the-Ramones-Got-Their-Sound-and-Influenced-Others Station"

I thought after giving the Black Sabbath example, it'd be clear.

Oh, well...I tried for a conversation...