Grogg listens to music

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2021 03:07
  • Post subject:
Feeling motivated to slow down a little bit with the buying and maybe (re)listen to some of the music I already have. I'm not so naïve as to think I'm going to be able to go any amount of time without buying a record, but I want to spend some time committing to sell two records for every record I buy for the immediate future. Also during this time I'm going to work on listening to every record I have from A to Z. Tonight that starts with 15-60-75 (The Numbers Band).

Jimmy Bell's Still In Town by 15-60-75

Discogs link

This is a pretty obscure Jazzy/Blues Rock/Funk record from 1976. Lot of saxophones ,lot of bongos. It's a good time.

Link
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2021 04:22
  • Post subject:
grogg wrote:
Feeling motivated to slow down a little bit with the buying and maybe (re)listen to some of the music I already have. I'm not so naïve as to think I'm going to be able to go any amount of time without buying a record, but I want to spend some time committing to sell two records for every record I buy for the immediate future. Also during this time I'm going to work on listening to every record I have from A to Z. Tonight that starts with 15-60-75 (The Numbers Band).

Jimmy Bell's Still In Town by 15-60-75

Love this record!! Don't sell this one! Wink
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/17/2021 04:35
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Love this record!! Don't sell this one! Wink

Yeah, this one is a keeper for sure. If an all-night party were to break out in my apartment this would be a 1:30am record.
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2021 03:21
  • Post subject:
Tonight's entry is an ECM album. I always tend to pick these up when I see them because they're usually cheap and feature artists I really like, but (with a couple of exceptions) I tend to listen to them once or twice and then forget they exist. There's a lot of fusion going on here, but it isn't exactly challenging fusion? Feel like this is headed to the sell pile.

Gateway 2 by John Abercrombie / Dave Ho...DeJohnette

Discogs link
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2021 03:31
  • Post subject:
On a more positive note, here are three excellent albums that came in the mail today. Pretty thrilled to have a Mal Waldron signature. The Rivers is a first pressing. Sons of the Pioneers have some of the greatest harmonies of all time, plus the world record for songs in which they call cattle "little doggies."

The Quest by Mal Waldron

Fuchsia Swing Song by Sam Rivers

Cool Water by The Sons Of The Pioneers
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2021 03:56
  • Post subject:
One more tonight. There are a lot of highs and lows on this one, but the main reason I hold onto it is Hells Bells. It captures high school football on a Friday night really well. This particular pressing hails from Germany; discogs says I've had it for over five years now which makes it a pretty early pickup for me. If I remember correctly I sold off my CD collection sometime in 2009 and started picking up vinyl in the summer of 2014.

I like how the flimsy jet black cover shows every time it got taken to someone's kegger in the 80s. Rich folks call that patina.

Back In Black by AC/DC

Discogs link
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2021 21:26
  • Post subject:
The second of my robust two album AC/DC collection is an early 80s New Zealand pressing of Highway to Hell on Albert records. It's a gorgeous label (something I'm very passionate about) and a different album cover than we got in the U.S. The big single from the album was obviously the title track, but don't sleep on "Walk All Over You." Watching the video always makes me want to grow my hair out just so I can headbang like Angus.

Only other AC/DC album I'm really interested in buying is TNT because of "It's a Long Way to the Top (If You Want to Rock and Roll)" is a top 100 track of all time for me.

Highway To Hell by AC/DC

Discogs link

Link
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2021 22:19
  • Post subject:
Despite the funk and the rock so far, about 2/3s of my collection is jazz. One of the cornerstones of that jazz is Cannonball Adderley. He'll show up as a sideman later in quite a few albums, but after AC/DC comes Adderley as a leading man. Here's a mid-60s stereo repress of maybe his best-known album, 1958's Somethin' Else.

Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley

Discogs link

• Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2021 02:42
  • Post subject:
Tonight's entry is Cannonball's Mercy Mercy Mercy. This is one of those live albums where the jacket flat out lies to you, here suggesting that the show was played at a Chicago club (whose owner was a friend of Adderley's) but was actually played in studio with some folks pretending to be an audience. That part is a bit weird, but it really becomes secondary about halfway through "Games" when you're totally enveloped by the playing. This is top tier bop and perhaps a little underappreciated.

This is a first pressing from 1967 on Capitol with the iconic rainbow label you've likely seen on Beatles albums.

Mercy, Mercy, Mercy! - Live At "Th...ey Quintet

Discogs link

This is the go-to track:

Link

And it was turned into a top 11 hit by The Buckinghams about a month later:

Link
  • Visit poster's website
grogg

United States

• Posted: 02/20/2021 18:41
  • Post subject:
Starting the day off with a RSD release from a couple of years back, Cannonball at the Penthouse in Seattle from the mid-60s. I'll let this review from the Patriot Ledger give the background.

I'll second the bit about the introductions; it's fun to hear Adderley introduce the songs because you don't usually hear jazz musicians talk unless they're encouraging each other in the middle of a blowing session. It's pleasant enough, but there's nothing real memorable so I think I'm going to make the tough call to add it to the sell pile.

Swingin' in Seattle: Live at The Pentho...l Adderley

Discogs link
  • Visit poster's website