Pet Sounds or Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Pet Sounds vs. Sgt. Pepper
Pet Sounds
55%
 55%  [32]
Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club
44%
 44%  [26]
Total Votes : 58

Yann

France

• Posted: 01/30/2018 07:06
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Yann wrote:
They both flow like a dream, perhaps even more so back in the sixities when it was so new. Because, now it's like listening to Singing in the Rain: enchanting, but from the past (I'm thinking of the kids..)

A quick note/question on Pet Sounds: Perhaps it's just me but I find the drums a bit static: all these cymbals...
Do you think i's a flaw or that it adds something to the album ? Was it made on purpose, to sound like a dreamy fanfare or something? I'd be curious to have you guys opinion on this.

Definitely intentional. I think it is one of the details that differenciate Pet Sounds from most things done in that era. Constantly pushing the boundaries of seemingly simple pop song.

thanks. I think I confused cymbals and tambourin (or hi hats ?). (exemple : the instrument in the first measures of Caroline No, and which is everywhere on the album: i think it's a tambourin). I mean, Pet Sounds with the light and concise drums of the Byrds would have been a different thing I think. Not necessarely better (that's why I asked the question of whether it's intentional)
  • Visit poster's website
Greendonut227

Japan

• Posted: 01/30/2018 12:59
  • Post subject:
Both good albums by Pet Sounds wins here. Sgt. Pepper's is more "poppy", and it's songwriting gets duller and driveler each listen. Pet Sounds' songwriting is a grower and only gets stronger the more you listen to it.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/30/2018 19:57
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
That may sound really low, but keep in mind my chart at #100 is an 87 album in my book... so still REALLY highly valued album.

Totally understand that, I value albums 90-100 from my chart very highly indeed, that's why they're there... Pet Sounds is 60 something in my chart, and Sgt Pepper is 80 something if I remember correctly, but I love the hell out of both of them!

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
AmberFox

United Kingdom

• Posted: 01/30/2018 21:51
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Hmmm... I think they aren't really comparable albums. I mean I think they both are fantastic in their own ways.

I find Sgt. Pepper more appealing and way less depressing. Pet Sounds can be really hard for me to listen to at times lyrically (I wasn't made for this world).

As for effort/the genius of them musically, I think they are both comparable, or at least on the same level, whether you like them or not.

I would say that Revolver is much more comparable to Pet Sounds than Sgt Pepper.

Absolutely. I mean isn't the Brian Wilson quote, we were trying to do better than Rubber Soul?

Pet Sounds to Revolver, and Sgt Pepper to Smile?

But it's hardly a fair comparison. Wilson had a lot longer to work on Smile Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
jackbrown8786

• Posted: 01/31/2018 02:47
  • Post subject:
Revolver. Sorry....... I had to.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2018 03:18
  • Post subject:
AmberFox wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
AAL2014 wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
Hmmm... I think they aren't really comparable albums. I mean I think they both are fantastic in their own ways.

I find Sgt. Pepper more appealing and way less depressing. Pet Sounds can be really hard for me to listen to at times lyrically (I wasn't made for this world).

As for effort/the genius of them musically, I think they are both comparable, or at least on the same level, whether you like them or not.

I would say that Revolver is much more comparable to Pet Sounds than Sgt Pepper.

Absolutely. I mean isn't the Brian Wilson quote, we were trying to do better than Rubber Soul?

Pet Sounds to Revolver, and Sgt Pepper to Smile?

But it's hardly a fair comparison. Wilson had a lot longer to work on Smile Very Happy

Yup.

Totally made the same comparison earlier in the chain.

And Smiley Smile is pretty good, but not the masterpiece Smile became. To be fair, I'm not sure how long he actually worked on Smile. Was it something he constantly worked out in his mind, or did he trip on LSD for 30 years and then was like, oh yeah, I should probably finish that. (hyperbole of course).
  • Visit poster's website
Facetious

Pakistan

• Posted: 01/31/2018 04:47
  • Post subject:
I listen to Sgt Pepper more, but Pet Sounds is the slightly better album, and a more singular achievement in emotional expression. Both are still among the most excellent pop albums of the '60s.
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2018 00:42
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:

Interesting point. I think this is why I prefer Pet Sounds. It pushes conventional pop to its limit but remains completely pop and relatable. Sgt Pepper goes beyond this. It works for me as it's charming and imaginative, but I don't think it's as relatable as Pet Sounds.

And probably why I like Sgt. Pepper more. I never thought of it that way before.

I like discussions. They help unravel the things.

I do remember being in a pottery class and listening to Sgt. Pepper and Within You Without You comes on and this girl gives a dirty look and is all like, what is this crap! hahaha.

Also this:
https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/ent...081547.cms
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 02/01/2018 00:56
  • Post subject:
... Odessey And Oracle?

I’d give the slightest of edges to Pet Sounds. But both (and all 3) are grand Pop statements for the ages which came back to back to back.

Why did I bring The Zombies into this? Hard to say. I’ll see myself out.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
indieshins

Australia

• Posted: 02/01/2018 02:57
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
... Odessey And Oracle?

I’d give the slightest of edges to Pet Sounds. But both (and all 3) are grand Pop statements for the ages which came back to back to back.

Why did I bring The Zombies into this? Hard to say. I’ll see myself out.

Yeah, Odessey and Oracle might beat both. Smile beats both - the arrangements on that blow my mind in a way very few albums manage!

But for the question at hand - Pet Sounds. Pepper has some better individual songs (A Day in the Life being the prime example), but also some weaker ones. Pet Sounds is more emotionally resonant for the most part. I also feel like it relies less on studio trickery than Pepper; the genius of it is in the arrangements rather than the production. Not a knock on The Beatles, but my two favourites of theirs are White Album and Abbey Road, which are less "produced" imo, with more of a focus on writing witty, memorable arrangements within a "rock" format.
  • Visit poster's website