Records that the artist did perfectly but doesn't amaze.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 17:35
  • Post subject:
Laughing

Also I've yet to really get into a David Bowie album. Blackstar and the Man Who Sold the World was the closest it came. Which is odd because I love Beck (not that they are the same, but they play in similar worlds).

Plenty of amazing Bowie songs... just not "losing my shit" over any one album. Laughing

So I suppose my vote is:

The Rise And Fall Of Ziggy Stardust And...avid Bowie

Which only in the past year or so I started liking more... it took probably 4 years and 5 to 10 listens.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/18/2018 17:36
  • Post subject:
Most of The Beatles stuff. I like their records, understand the significance and groundbreaking production/songwriting but don't truly enjoy them. And most of all Abbey Road which people here think is a masterpiece... Definitely the greatest band of all time, but not my favourite :/

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/18/2018 18:59
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Most of The Beatles stuff. I like their records, understand the significance and groundbreaking production/songwriting but don't truly enjoy them. And most of all Abbey Road which people here think is a masterpiece... Definitely the greatest band of all time, but not my favourite :/

Well according to some people, they don't even deserve that. Also to some people, neither does Mozart.

I think if you were to focus just on Revolver until the end of their run or this best of, it might eventually click and it might not.

1967-1970 by The Beatles
  • Visit poster's website
joshbrooker2001

• Posted: 02/18/2018 19:55
  • Post subject:

Skylarking by XTC

And

Wild Honey by The Beach Boys
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 02/19/2018 05:12
  • Post subject:

Who's Next by The Who

Don't get me wrong this is a classic but it took me a long time to get into it. I love the 3 singles off it, all stone cold classics but some of the album tracks are a bit filler, I would even say a bit lacklustre. IMO probably the most uneven album of all time. If every track were up to the standard of Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes and Won't Get Fooled Again it would be in my top 5 on my chart. But they're not. Ditto Quadrophenia. Some great moments but very uneven for me.

I love many songs by The who but I find them very hit and miss.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 02/19/2018 05:48
  • Post subject:
Michael1981 wrote:
Surely though in all these example you guys are just not yet aware of the thing you don't find quite right about these albums. I'm sure if you listened more to these albums you'd realise what is happening. This has happened to me loads of times with stuff I didn't like as much as expected even though I think I should really like it. Eventually you see what it is. Smile

I’m completely behind you there, Michael. Aside from Grizzly Bear, I went through a period of indecisiveness with;

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

It wasn’t until around 18 months ago that I started to adore this record. Now it’s one of my favourite albums of its respective decade and it’s included as part of my current top 100. It’s an absolute classic. What really helped me was listening to the band’s other material, similar acts and the band’s influences. I guess in some way this is what worked when I came back to Grizzly Bear too.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]

Last edited by Komorebi-D on 02/19/2018 06:11; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 06:04
  • Post subject:
It sounds to me like some people try to force themselves to like an album. I don't think repeated listens of something that you don't like will make it any better, but that's because I generally react to music much more viscerally than anything else. I'll know within the first five minutes of an album if I'm going to like it or not.

I'm not against changing my mind, but it almost never happens.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 06:25
  • Post subject:
Stover75 wrote:

Who's Next by The Who

Don't get me wrong this is a classic but it took me a long time to get into it. I love the 3 singles off it, all stone cold classics but some of the album tracks are a bit filler, I would even say a bit lacklustre. IMO probably the most uneven album of all time. If every track were up to the standard of Baba O'Riley, Behind Blue Eyes and Won't Get Fooled Again it would be in my top 5 on my chart. But they're not. Ditto Quadrophenia. Some great moments but very uneven for me.

I love many songs by The who but I find them very hit and miss.

100% agree. Actually that's true of most The Who albums. The Who are undeniably deserve a huge part in rock history, but their albums don't... hehe. Now take note I said albums and not songs. They wrote a good deal of amazing songs. A bit like Queen perhaps?
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 06:28
  • Post subject:
Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
It sounds to me like some people try to force themselves to like an album. I don't think repeated listens of something that you don't like will make it any better, but that's because I generally react to music much more viscerally than anything else. I'll know within the first five minutes of an album if I'm going to like it or not.

I'm not against changing my mind, but it almost never happens.

For me, this is exactly why I have to listen to it multiple times. If it's an emotional reaction, sometimes that emotion doesn't click until the 3rd or 10th try. (RE: my Pavlov's dog guess).

And sometimes it just never clicks - the album is too far from what I emotionally or mentally connect with.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 02/19/2018 06:29
  • Post subject:
Komorebi-D wrote:
I’m completely behind you there, Michael. Aside from Grizzly Bear, I went through a period of indecisiveness with;

Daydream Nation by Sonic Youth

It wasn’t until around 18 months ago that I started to adore this record. Now it’s one of my favourite albums of its respective decade and it’s included as part of my current top 100. It’s an absolute classic. What really helped me was listening to the band’s other material, similar acts and the band’s influences. I guess in some way this is what worked when I came back to Grizzly Bear too.

The bolded statement is key.

Good is relative, and until you have a benchmark or something at least to compare it to... then it's value is... in a vacuum?
  • Visit poster's website