I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/29/2024 04:25
  • Post subject:

Nacht by Paysage d'Hiver

January 28, 2024

◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈◈ ◈◈◈◈◈

Quote:
I almost didn't include Nacht because it wasn't at the score threshold for me to revisit it, but something about tonight felt like an appropriate time to revisit it (not to mention that I have been generally revisiting the Paysage d'Hiver catalogue in accordance with the snowy weather). Nacht has always been an odd entry in the Paysage d'Hiver chronology for me because it feels the most desolate. He leans heavy in the nature recordings more in this album than any of his others. In addition, the actual black metal recording is quieter than his other release. That used to be a huge low point for me when I'd listen to this album and while it's still my biggest critique, it doesn't bother me as much. I do wish, however, it was louder because some of the riffs are really cool. In fact, I find this album quite pleasant to play late at night in the cold. I think this is the solitude Paysage d'Hiver conveys with his music.

Rating: 86/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/30/2024 01:09
  • Post subject:

Min Tid Skal Komme by Fleurety

January 29, 2024

Quote:
I had to listen to this album three times before fully forming a thought. This album is a beautiful balance of raw black metal, atmospheric black metal, and even progressive metal. The bass guitar sounds phenomenal. Bass guitar in metal music is so underappreciated. Everything about this album sounds amazing. And the excellent songwriting is definitely a benefit. I would say my point of criticism is, as mickilennial puts it, it does meander a bit. Sometimes, and it does depend on the day for me, the long songs seem to drag on for no reason. But it's weird because I sometimes get impatient while listening to it, but as the album goes on and, even after it's over, I end up liking the meandering? I don't know how why I feel this way, but I still love this album!

Rating: 97/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2024 02:55
  • Post subject:
I know I have been yielding extremely positive reviews as of late, but I'm simply going for the album I'm craving the most or anticipate will hit the spot the best. This streak of positive reviews may end soon.

Thrust by Herbie Hancock

January 30, 2024

Quote:
This caught me off guard! I liked this album before, but I wasn't expecting to fall as head over heels for it as I do now! In my opinion, this is the Herbie Hancock album where every component of the artistic album makes sense at first glance: from the album title and cover, to the song track names, to how the tracks sound, to the instrument selection. Everything is just phenomenally selected. My biggest point of acclaim is the synthworth on this album. It's legitamately interstellar, elevating this album to new heights. The funk sounds so buttery smooth and the jazz feels so agile. It's so skillfully blended that only Herbie Hancock could've been the creator. I think I prefer this to Head Hunters.

Rating: 95/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 01/31/2024 04:09
  • Post subject:

Deathconsciousness by Have A Nice Life

January 30, 2024

Quote:
The first time I listened to this album was in the back row seat on the drive home after a family vacation to Baltimore and DC when I graduated high school. Corny, I know, but it was amazing listen. The sun was setting as I started the album and by the time the intermission came, the sun was officially set. I will never forget listening to "There Is No Food" while stretching at some random gas station in Pennsylvania and then returning to my car. It was such an impactful listen that every time I revisit this album, I can't help but experience intrusive memories of that drive home.

Enough with the trip down memory lane, let's get into the grit and nitty of the album. It's a double album, and should be treated as such in my opinion. Sure, you can grind through in one sitting since it's 85 minutes, but I think taking a small break before starting disc two carries some weight. Disc 1, "The Plow That Broke The Planes," seems the most doomgaze-y of the two halves while Disc 2, "The Future," is easily the most dynamic of the two albums as the post-punk sound becomes most evident.

Starting with "A Quick One Before The Eternal Worm Devours Connecticut," a title that seems to have become a meme now, it's a beautiful 7 minute ambient opener that is ironically relaxing despite opening for one of the most notoriously depressive albums ever. I love the swirly synths in the background and the gentle acoustic strumming is like stars in my eyes. Then it goes to arguably the most famous track on the album, "Bloodhail," which is a loud 5 minute doomgaze masterpiece. The heavy piano weighs you down and the post-punk tuned guitar builds upon the depressive effect. The lyrics are about a hunter unleashing a flury of arrows to kill God. The tone does not seem anti-religious in an anti-institutional sense, but rather a nihilistic lens, given that one of the main themes of this album is "life is meaningless." "The Big Gloom," "Hunter," and "Telefony" are tracks that seem to get better with age. I used to space out to these tracks. Now I am actively more engaged in the listen and feel like I am more immersed into the atmosphere. "Who Would Leave Their Son Out In The Sun" follows and while I do view it as a weakpoint in the record, I can't say it's purposeless or needless. It fits into the album nicely. Disc 1 closes with "There Is No Food," which is a great interlude track as it is emotional, yet liminal.

"Waiting for Black Metal Records To Come in the Mail," perfectly kicks off Disc 2 because it does preview the more dynamic half of the album. It's a straight up post-punk attack. My favorite track "Holy Fucking Shit: 40,000" follows. The title seems to reference the annual suicide rate. If you take the 2021 US data and adjust accordingly, it seems to fit. Some people say it's a reference to Warhammer 40k, but suicide is an overt theme of this album, so I kinda doubt it. Anyways, the track starts off with a gentle acoustic riff and then you get blasted with an insane doomgaze/post-punk blend. I love how emotive this track is, especially at night. "Deep, Deep" follows, which is another post-punk slice to the throat with its existential-crisis themed lyrics. "I Don't Love" comes after, which is simply essential doomgaze. Gentle vocals that sing the main takeaway of the track, a want for death, starts of the track. Then, you get blasted with a massive Wall of Sound-- and I mean massive. It sounds so huge and loud. Just be ready for it. Lastly, the album closes with the crushing "Earthmover." It's another doomgaze piece that perfectly ends the record. It's massive, loud, noisy, and incredibly depressive. The lyrics talk about massive giants that destroy all of the Earth by moving mountains, crushing everything in their paths, but they are immortal. Their existence has gone on for too long, and they yearn death but cannot die. Unbelievable imagery comes to mind and I am always left floored.

It's interesting to see younger generations obsess over this album. I thought my love for this album would've subsided over time since I could see some listeners viewing this album as melodramatic, but I'm happy that it hasn't. I still find the noise soothing and the climactic moments extremely moving. Maybe I love this album still because of nostalgia or because this album is a legitimate masterpiece-- who knows. It's still a perfect album in my eyes.

Rating: 100/100 Applause
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/06/2024 23:12
  • Post subject:

Amongst The Catacombs Of Nephren-Ka by Nile

February 6, 2024

Quote:
You know, the first time I listened to Nile, I decided to go in chronological order of their releases, including their demo, which sounds nothing like their studio albums. When I eventually got to their debut, I was so shocked and blown away that I loved it. I bring this up because revisiting this album, while I do love this album still, I don’t feel the same rush as that first time. The brutal parts are still great, but some of the instrumentals that utilize classic instruments feels kinda corny. But the vocal performance is still outstanding and the conciseness of the record is to its benefit.

Rating: 83/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2024 02:33
  • Post subject:

Cosmic Music by John & Alice Coltrane

February 6, 2024

Quote:
Part of what makes this album so special is that it's a dual release from both Alice and John. Granted, this is after John Coltrane passed away, but there's something so beautiful about both of them co-releasing an album titled Cosmic Music. This is also a private pressing, so lucky fans who own this album are, in a way, closer to these amazing artists. This is really excellent free jazz music that definitely carries that whimsical Coltrane trademark sound. The first two tracks were supposedly from old John Coltrane recording sessions. The second two from recording sessions from Alice Coltrane's A Monastic Trio. Even though they were from separate recording sessions from separate projects, the four tracks do seem to go together quite well in the format of a single LP (the split dividing the two sides). Since this album is four tracks from two separate recording sessions, it does feel unfinished in that way. The album kind of ends abruptly and I don't find myself as enveloped as, say, Ascension or Universal Consciousness. Regardless, this album can be enjoyed by any Coltrane fan and an original pressing of this album, including the purple covers, are grails for me.

Rating: 85/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2024 02:40
  • Post subject:

The Blue Yusef Lateef by Yusef Lateef

February 6, 2024

Quote:
I have to admit something. The format I revisited this album is the Speaker's Corner vinyl pressing and it is so freakin' fabulous that it may have a bit of an advantage compared to other album listens. This particular pressing may have elevated the experience for me, but I still loved the album on initial listen so I don't think it's too much of an advantage.

What suprises me the most about this album is that is kind of goes all over the place, yet impressively feels like one cohesive unit. This album goes from full-on blues music, to hard bop, to spiritual jazz, to soul jazz, to rhythm & blues. Everything also sounds great on this album. The recording quality is awesome. The second track, "Like It Is," is an absolute heavyweight jazz tune. What really brings down my feelings towards this album is the pretty offensive "Moon Cup," where to Yusef Lateef sings gibberish with a racist Japanese accent. I'm sure he meant well because he's displayed a respect towards Eastern sounds before, but it comes across as tasteless. The rest of the album is honestly great. Definitely recommend a nice vinyl pressing of this album.

Rating: 90/100

Last edited by Anti on 02/07/2024 14:12; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/07/2024 03:31
  • Post subject:

Dark Space I by Darkspace

February 6, 2024

Quote:
Look, I haven't listened to Darkspace since college, and I wasn't into atmospheric black metal until maybe my sophomore year of college, which was 8 years ago, but I do remember it being pretty relentless. And my memories served me right! I remember Darkspace III was my favorite even though I have almost no memory of that album. But god dammit, if III was my favorite because it was most aggressive, I am in for a treat because this debut is pretty insane. Very much a black metal record, but there are some doom-y moments on here. Darkspace is another project of Tobias Möckl, the mind behind Paysage d'Hiver. You can certainly hear that blizzard influence, but this album feels more like accelerating in the cosmos. Also, this has some of the scariest vocal performances by Tobias. It's a hefty 76 minutes, but it doesn't feel too drawn out. I think I overall prefer the artistic intent of Paysage d'Hiver, but I think Darkspace is absolutely incredible.

Rating: 90/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2024 00:28
  • Post subject:

Genesis by Elvin Jones

February 9, 2024

Quote:
Elvin Jones standing in the middle of a space background is honestly a perfect album cover for this recording. There is notable space in-between the players. The album does sound like Elvin Jone's drums guide you through space with some other cosmic travelers (the other band members) joining you along the way. Fairly avant-garde because the players seem somewhat independent from each other, yet the come together in a traditional bop feel at the end. I think the smooth electric bass is an under-appreciated part of the album. To be honest, I am surprised at the lack of drum solos on here. You would think a drummer as the band leader would involve more drum solos. However, everyone works together beautifully. Genesis is an under-appreciated jazz album.

Rating: 84/100
Anti
I Dream of Drone

United States

• Posted: 02/10/2024 22:21
  • Post subject:

Obscura by Gorguts

February 9, 2024

Quote:
Obscura is one of those albums where I can’t listen to anything else after playing it through its entirety because my mind just got pummeled. 60 minutes of very dissonant death metal that, while does have some slower parts, is relentless with its crushing power. The riffs are very angular and unorthodox. I really appreciate the approach the band took with writing this album. They didn’t care about how technically difficult the riffs were played versus how they sounded. When they introduced the riffs to each other, they weren’t allowed to watch each other play to mess with their judgement of the riff. They listened to see if it belonged. I think that is the most optimal way to craft an album like this because it’s easy to imagine that simply writing difficult technical music for the sake of making it difficult is just stress for everyone involved, including the listeners. Many imitate, few carve their own path, but Obscura still is the best dissonant death metal album I’ve heard.

Rating: 99/100