You must listen to the album below you.

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 193, 194, 195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/26/2023 06:53
  • Post subject:

Ode To Billie Joe by Bobbie Gentry
A fantastic mix of country, soul, folk, blues, pop and rock. I loved the opener (especially the vocal performance and the addictive hooks) and sure, the album rarely reaches the energetic highs and the standout single feel of Mississippi Delta, but it's still fairly consistent and beautiful and playful. Honestly I never expected to like this style as much. I guess the diversity and the plain excellent songwriting, as well as the cool atmosphere, really hit the sweet spot for me. It manages to be both an intimate, minimalist singer-songwriter record and have an expansive, luch sound. I've already talked about my preference for orchestral arrangements in soul (even when they're slightly overdone and cheesy). Gentry throws in a few country-style arrangements with violins, harmonica and whatnot in the mix and the end product is almost impeccable stylistically. Even the worst track here, Bugs, is playful and fun. Great rec Baystate, I'd rank it near the top of that soul heap 8.5/10

You've probably heard this one since it's essentially Chiefcore, but I cannot think of anything better atm

Kill The Lights by lowercase

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 09/29/2023 03:26
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:

Ode To Billie Joe by Bobbie Gentry
A fantastic mix of country, soul, folk, blues, pop and rock. I loved the opener (especially the vocal performance and the addictive hooks) and sure, the album rarely reaches the energetic highs and the standout single feel of Mississippi Delta, but it's still fairly consistent and beautiful and playful. Honestly I never expected to like this style as much. I guess the diversity and the plain excellent songwriting, as well as the cool atmosphere, really hit the sweet spot for me. It manages to be both an intimate, minimalist singer-songwriter record and have an expansive, luch sound. I've already talked about my preference for orchestral arrangements in soul (even when they're slightly overdone and cheesy). Gentry throws in a few country-style arrangements with violins, harmonica and whatnot in the mix and the end product is almost impeccable stylistically. Even the worst track here, Bugs, is playful and fun. Great rec Baystate, I'd rank it near the top of that soul heap 8.5/10

Glad you loved it! Very Happy

What did you think of the title track? That was the biggest hit single of her career by far.
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 09/29/2023 11:09
  • Post subject:
baystateoftheart wrote:
Glad you loved it! Very Happy

What did you think of the title track? That was the biggest hit single of her career by far.
It's pretty good, but not the biggest standout imo. Though I can definitely see why it was her biggest hit, it has some very compelling melodies and a cool story.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 10/08/2023 16:11
  • Post subject:

Nothing To Fear by Oingo Boingo

This is my first time listening to an Oingo Boingo album or a zolo album, so I don't have points of reference. I do get XTC vibes at some moments. Overall, this provides a good first impression for both band and genre. I really enjoy the first half in particular. The marimbas(?) on Grey Matter get things off to a nice start, and Private Life is a great song all around and the clear album highlight for me. Despite the second half being inferior, Nothing To Fear remains a solid record throughout. If the vocal affect and zaniness were dialed down one notch, I'd probably like this even more, but it's still a really enjoyable listen and something I'll likely return to. 3.5/5.

Chicago soul seems to be a genre you're digging, so let's go with this next:

Turn Back The Hands Of Time by Tyrone Davis
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 10/17/2023 06:06
  • Post subject:

Kill The Lights by lowercase

I'm glad to have developed that kind of reputation that you'd think this was definitely within my canon of knowledge, but I had not heard this one. I know the band, but I believe that I have only listened to their debut album for whatever reason.

Well, I'm happy to have remedied that by listening to their sophomore release, because it's an excellent blend of slowcore and hardcore. Which in practice is probably more difficult to pull off than it sounds on this album. I particular enjoyed the last two tracks that explore this dynamic to their fullest extent.

Now, I'll need to check out their 99 album to see if it's up to the same standard. Nice pick!

Baystate, you've got me again.

Here's one from when I was in my ambient/minimal/electronic phase. Do I really think that this is one of the greatest of all time? No, not by a long shot, but I do dig the vibes.

Le Fumeur De Ciel by Julien Neto
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 10/25/2023 14:30
  • Post subject:

Turn Back The Hands Of Time by Tyrone Davis
I did not like this as much as your other recs Bay. It's borderline cheesy with its string arrangements etc. but for some reason this time the playful, carefree nature of the record didn't sit well with me. Solid songwriting with throwbacks to old school R&B, the higlights include Turn Back the Hands of Time, Love Bones, Is It Something That You've Got, I Keep Coming Back... It's not a bad record by any means, but after 3 listens I feel it lacks something which other great soul records have. Hard to pinpoint what, exactly. I guess it offers nothing I haven't heard before, but that's hardly a critique lol. To end on a positive note (I did mostly like the record after all), I love the backing vocals on the title track. Turn Back the Hands of Time was released in 1970 and was a second major hit for Davis. It hasn't lost any of its charm and power, even Springsteen has recently covered it.

Link

Tha1ChiefRocka wrote:
I'm glad to have developed that kind of reputation that you'd think this was definitely within my canon of knowledge, but I had not heard this one.

Your post-hardcore reputation precedes you, Chief. This one could be up your alley as well (totally different style though).

Divinities Of The Earth And The Waters ... Orchestra

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2023 17:37
  • Post subject:

Le Fumeur De Ciel by Julien Neto

Very mellow, soothing, and well-composed throughout. Gives you what you need in an ambient album, but nothing particularly resonated with me, and I'm not sure if I'll ever reach for it over others in the genre. Still, quite a nice record and indeed a vibe. 3.5/5.

Ok, let's (mostly) take a break from soul for now. Try this MPB classic:

A Tábua De Esmeralda by Jorge Ben
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 11/26/2023 12:42
  • Post subject:

A Tábua De Esmeralda by Jorge Ben
Pretty sure I've heard this one before, had a Jorge Ben binge a few years ago, but unfortunately I haven't logged any of the albums I've heard except for Forca Bruta. And that one was the clear favourite and had by far the most listens up until now. I'm fairly certain that A Tábua de Esmeralda is better though. It's far more playful, catchy and has a more appealing sound. Slightly orchestral and psychedelic, bright and fun. Very different from the more funky and groovy soul of Forca Bruta. Yeah, loved it, even though the YT quality isn't the best. I'll try to find a better online version somewhere. 8.5/10

Kosheen next

Resist by Kosheen

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 12/03/2023 06:58
  • Post subject:

Divinities Of The Earth And The Waters ... Orchestra

Definitely not something I would have found on my own, this was a decent trek through Avant Garde Jazz experimentation. I'm not going to come away from it humming a melody or wanting to hear much more from the group, but they succeeded in what I believe to be their purpose. Sometimes sounded Zappaesque. Which is as good a compliment as I could give anything. An interesting listen for sure.

Here's one for ya.

Sleeps With The Fishes by Pieter Nooten...hael Brook
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/02/2024 14:37
  • Post subject:

Sleeps With The Fishes by Pieter Nooten...hael Brook
Good one. This is highly melodic for an ambient album, yet somehow they turn this maximalist approach with strings, piano, guitars and various arrangements into something subtle and beautiful. It's never cheesy, which is awesome. A chill listen, it hasn't clicked with me on another level (2nd listen currently), but I can see myself returning to it. Pieter Nooten is a founding member of Clan of Xymox who I'm seeing in March I think, so that's cool too.

Here's some noisy and cool Canadian metal from 2023. I've enjoyed it a lot, let's see what you think.

Nature Morte by Big Brave

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website