Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 193, 194, 195
View previous topic :: View next topic
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/06/2024 18:37
  • Post subject:

Resist by Kosheen

This is a smooth album and a pleasant listen throughout, but as opposed to aging gracefully, it feels very of its time to me. Mostly the sound, but also the cover art and songs. Speaking of which, the songwriting feels oddly empty, like the vocals are being used more as a counterpoint to the instrumentals than conveying significance in themselves. Anyway, that all sounds really harsh, and on the wrong day I could see myself roasting it, but in reality I really enjoyed this. It can serve as good background music in a variety of contexts, and sometimes you're just in the mood for music this polished or for a nice time capsule from 20-something years ago. Starting at a low 3.5/5.

Dive into saudade with some classic fado:

Com Que Voz by Amália Rodrigues
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2024 20:48
  • Post subject:

Nature Morte by Big Brave

I can appreciate some good Melvins/Boris worship. I think I may have heard of this group before, but I don't think I've listened to anything of theirs before this. Solid all around, although I don't think it's necessarily breaking the Sludge/Doom mold here.

Moon Tides by Pure Bathing Culture

Here you are Baystate.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/15/2024 13:15
  • Post subject:

Com Que Voz by Amália Rodrigues
Nice, Amalia has been on my to-do list forever. Glad you've chosen this Bay. It delivers on all fronts. I've never heard a full Fado release, but I'm kinda familiar with the genre. The songs here sound similar and I don't understand the lyrics obviously, but despite that it's a very easy listen, an enjoyable experience all around. It's evident that Amalia is a master of the style. I don't have a lot to say except that Com que Voz strikes me as the kind of record which is suitable for any mood, especially once you get to know it a bit better. Favourite track was Meu Limao de Amargura.

Try Eartheater's first and best release.

Trinity by Eartheater

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 02/08/2024 04:23
  • Post subject:

Moon Tides by Pure Bathing Culture

This is up my alley. Dreamy, chilled, vibey, with smooth, pretty vocals and instrumentals. It goes down easy, and nothing really stuck with me or stood out to me. And while I did forget to do a writeup for many days once again, I also had that feeling right after finishing it. Not a favorite, but very nice and I'll listen again. 3.5/5.

I see you've never listened to an Emmylou Harris album. Let's start with her breakthrough album. Boulder To Birmingham is a moving tribute to Gram Parsons and probably the best song she ever wrote. The rest is great too.

Pieces Of The Sky by Emmylou Harris
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/14/2024 13:59
  • Post subject:

Pieces Of The Sky by Emmylou Harris
Possibly the best album recommended to me in this game, Bay. (Side note, just went through all the albums I've heard in this thread. Just for curiosity’s sake. The highlights include What Color Is Love, E2-E4, Back to the World, The Ocean Machine, Lady of the Canyon. Diverse, excellent stuff, exactly why I play these games.) I've heard only Wrecking Ball before, but have always loved her sound. 70s Emmylou deep dive is long overdue. Pieces of the Sky is beautiful, soulful, fun and other generic descriptors. In other words, love it. I was captivated by the very first track and, to be honest, it's probably the best one too. Not for the lack of high points, though. Boulder To Birmingham is devastating like you said Bay. If I Could Only Win Your Love, Before Believing, Bottle Let Me Down, Coat of Many Colors are all fantastic. Even the two bonus tracks rule (Hanky and Left, California Cotton Fields). 2 listens in, wouldn't mind the third one.

Try the best Hooversound release. Some of the best modern jungle out there. Everything either of these two producers touches turns to gold.

Hooversound Presents: Special Request X...Tim Reaper

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 02/25/2024 00:40
  • Post subject:

Hooversound Presents: Special Request X...Tim Reaper

I was seriously overdue to listen to some jungle. I've enjoyed everything I've heard in the genre, but it's been years at this point. And this remix EP does not disappoint. Great production! The beats go hard, and there are also plenty of subtler elements in the sound design. The a-side is great, and the b-side is very good. As the a-side is longer, it starts at a light 4/5.

Glad you loved Pieces Of The Sky! Let me help with your long overdue deep dive by assigning you the logical next step:

Elite Hotel by Emmylou Harris
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 02/29/2024 14:46
  • Post subject:

Elite Hotel by Emmylou Harris
Similar to Pieces of the Sky, this just works on pretty much every level. It's richer and more fun, but the songwriting is slightly worse (on the first listen, at least) scratch that, the second listen has proven this is definitely better than the predecessor. My perfect Emmylou album would be somewhere in between these two, I guess. Not that there needs to be a perfect Emmylou Harris album, these two are excellent enough. One of These Days is the highlight (among other great tracks).

Let's go from modern jungle all the way back to the Krautrock electronic stuff

Deluxe by Harmonia

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart

United States

• Posted: 04/20/2024 19:35
  • Post subject:

Deluxe by Harmonia

Harmonia is one of those bands that's been on my to-do list for a while, so I'm glad to have this nudge to check them out. This is my favorite side of krautrock, mixing the hypnotic rock with elements of early ambient and progressive electronic. It's a dreamy sonic concoction, one that's easy to get carried away in and lose track of time while listening. Beautiful songs that take time in unfurling their ideas to reach their full potential. 4/5.

Let's go for some country rock next:

No Other by Gene Clark