I'd usually listen to it again, but chief is patiently waiting for his pick ๐
(1)
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Under The Skin by Mica Levi
Under The Skin is a 2013 Jonathan Glazer movie, and this is its score. It's one of those "artsy" movies. Filmography, camera work and editing are impeccable, and the music is just on another level. The pacing is a bit off at times, it suffers from being "too artsy" imo. It stars Scarlett Johansson as an alien or something, she's going around Glasgow seducing men, only to do nasty alien things to them. It's extraordinary though, because while she's talking to guys with thick Scottish accents, they don't know it! It's all filmed with hidden cameras from the car, so you never really know if a person's acting or is it just a random guy on the street. The movie has a lot more going on, but I won't spoil it. Recommend, one of the better movies this decade.
Now on to the album itself. It was chilling, unnerving stuff. It consumed me totally, and not only because I relived the movie. It stands on its own as some of the creepier music I've heard. Exactly the stuff I love. You could call it dark ambient or something, but that tag doesn't do it justice. The only complaint I have is that the main melody is repeated a bit too often, on several compositions throughout the album. It's incredibly dark, yes, but it could've gone for more experimental and atonal tone overall. This way it just seems it was intentionally made to be more "memorable" to the audience, rather than going for the the full blown underground feel. Despite that, it's another one in my hot streak, an easy 8.5/10.
(2)
Necropolis!
(3)
deepcuts top 50 of the decade & RYM metal top 100
15/ The Armed - Untitled
49/ Greg Ward - Touch my Beloved's Thought
50/ Oceansize - Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Immolation - Close To The World Below
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Deathspell Omega - Paracletus
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
Neurosis - Time of Grace _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
Now this is what I'm always searching for. Weird private press release from Canada. I don't know what Bob was on, but it made him make a remarkable and mysterious little album. Side 1 is mostly guitar-driven heavy psych rock with some improvisation thrown in for good measure, but side 2 is a 15 minute free jazz opus. Bob plays the guitar on the first 4 tracks and then switches to the saxophone on track 5, which is pretty impressive. I'd recommend this album to any fans of the weird.
Ledzep, Deathspell Omega had some controversey as of late, but Paralectus came out before that, so give it a shot.
็ซ ใท Corp. : Palm Mall
Gnidrolog- Lady Lake
Shannon Wright- Over the Sun
GรRARD GRISEY : "Les Espaces Acoustiques"
THOU-Heathen
Steve Moore - Light Echoes
Etna- Etna
Message - From Books and Dreams
The Northern Hymn - Kammarheit
Hardfloor- TB Resucitation
babyBlueSedanUsed to be sort of blind, now can sort of seeProfile
I've never been a huge Queen fan, but this is a pleasant blend of their theatrical styling and more traditional hard rock. Nothing really blew me away, and there were several tracks, like "The Loser in the End" that felt like a worse version of Led Zeppelin.
I listened to Thou's most recent album and thought it was a good but not great mix of sludge and doom. Let me know how this one is.
BEA's top 1,000 albums:
537. Tusk by Fleetwood Mac
570. Making Movies by Dire Straits
583. Pure Heroine by Lorde
622. A New World Record by Electric Light Orchestra
650. Nursery Crime by Genesis
653. Love Over Gold by Dire Straits
654. Mirage by Camel
657. The Battle of Los Angeles by Rage Against the Machine
659. Waiting for the Sun by The Doors
664. Fleetwood Mac by Fleetwood Mac _________________ And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.
This is a really hit-or-miss set of songs. "Big In Japan" is a cheesy start to the album. It took me a minute to figure out what I was giggling at. I guess Waits was beyond taking risks by the time he recorded this...it's a played-it-safe recycling of his older stuff. But, I still dig Waits' brand of Americana and there are some good cuts on the album.
I like "Pony".
// 2
I went through Camel's early albums recently, so let's see what you think of Mirage.
3. Caracal /--/ Disclosure
11. Astral Progressions /--/ Josef Leimberg
15. The Royal Scam /--/ Steely Dan
16. Love Deluxe /--/ Sade
17. Emergency On Planet Earth /--/ Jamiroquai
20. Here To There /--/ DJ Spinna
21. Bridges /--/ Gil Scott-Heron & Brian Jackson
22. One From The Heart /--/ Tom Waits
23. Big Calm /--/ Morcheeba
25. Becoming X /--/ Sneaker Pimps _________________ Can you play free, or in three, or agree to try something new?
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
It's about time I listened to this album. I love Pavement (Slanted and Enchanted is in my all time list), just never had a copy at the time, and hadn't gotten around to it since streaming times. I knew most of the songs anyway it was just hearing them in the album context instead of as singles, comps, and playlists. Fantastic album, with no real fillers, and a few stand out songs - Cut Your Hair, Range Life, and Fillmore Jazz. Fillmore Jazz is an awesome song to close the album with. This deserves it's reputation as a classic '90s indie rock album. 9/10, 9/64 for 1994, and makes my top 100 of the decade chart at 50/100.
Top 100 Music Albums of the 1990s by Hayden (2 picks left)
4. Another Thought by Arthur Russell
6. And She Closed Her Eyes by Stina Nordenstam
7. Bizarre Ride II The Pharcyde by The Pharcyde
16. Geek The Girl by Lisa Germano
18. Lisova Kolekciya by ะกะฒััะปะฐะฝะฐ ะัะฝัะพ / ะะปะตะบัะฐะฝะดั ะฎััะตะฝะบะพ [Svitlana Nianio / Alexander Yurchenko]
20. So Tonight That I Might See by Mazzy Star
30. Louis Andriessen: De Staat by Reinbert De Leeuw / The Schoenberg Ensemble
32. The Infamous... by Mobb Deep
33. Don't Send Me Flowers by Twa Toots
34. Skywriting by The Field Mice
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Really well-made 70s rock album right here. It's got hits, and the other songs approach their quality. The vocals are great, the writing is solid, and I like the three-part dispersed title track idea. Yes, it has a cheese factor, but it's still definitely worth a listen. 3.5/5.
11. Coat Of Many Colors - Dolly Parton
14. Whitney Houston - Whitney Houston
17. Control - Janet Jackson
24. Coal Miner's Daughter - Loretta Lynn
25. Little Plastic Castle - Ani Difranco
34. Private Dancer - Tina Turner
38. It's A Mighty World - Odetta
42. Ella Fitzgerald Sings The Johnny Mercer Song Book - Ella Fitzgerald
47. Son Con Guaguanco - Celia Cruz
49. Pirates - Rickie Lee Jones _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
I have heard a few things from Thou, but I've seen that this is generally regarded as their best effort. This is a good album, and without the final two tracks, which extend the album by 20 minutes, it would be a great album. So, I'm going to pretend like the last two tracks aren't there. Like another Doom Metal album that I quite enjoy, Watching From a Distance by Warning, this is a heavy album both musically and emotionally. The black metal vocals over the slow Doom Metal chords creates a great atmostphere. Two tracks that stood out to me were "Feral Faun" and "At The Foot of Mt. Driskill". There are some short filler tracks that don't really change my opinion of the album at all. Overall it's definitely worth another listen from me, because I feel like it will reveal more in the future.
Baystate, I'm going to got with Tina Turner.
็ซ ใท Corp. : Palm Mall
Gnidrolog- Lady Lake
Shannon Wright- Over the Sun
GรRARD GRISEY : "Les Espaces Acoustiques"
Steve Moore - Light Echoes
Etna- Etna
Message - From Books and Dreams
The Northern Hymn - Kammarheit
Hardfloor- TB Resucitation
Javiera Mena - Mena
babyBlueSedanUsed to be sort of blind, now can sort of seeProfile
Of all the prog records I've listened to recently, I think this might be the one I liked the best. It's complex sure, and it takes too long to start and kind of meanders around, but it does so in a much more relaxed way. It almost feels closer to the feel of folk rock in that way in that the guitar pyrotechnics don't feel over the top and instead feel a lot more natural. Obviously this is nothing like folk rock, I'm mostly saying it doesn't feel overwrought despite its complexity. Like with most of these it's hard to comment on too many moments I liked after one listen, but in particular I thought the drumming sounding really great.
Take it from the top Chief.
BEA's top 1,000 albums:
553. Tusk by Fleetwood Mac
577. Making Movies by Dire Straits
579. Pure Heroine by Lorde
624. A New World Record by Electric Light Orchestra
653. Nursery Crime by Genesis
655. Love Over Gold by Dire Straits
656. Deadwing by Porcupine Tree
657. Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche
660. The Battle of Los Angeles by Rage Against the Machine
662. Fleetwood Mac by Fleetwood Mac _________________ And it's hard to be a human being. And it's harder as anything else.
This is an incredible vaporwave concept album that is pretty much the be all end all of
A
E
S
T
H
E
T
I
C
A great album for the quarantine, because it makes me feel like I'm at a mall with people in it, instead of being alone in my apartment. It's cheesy and stupid on it's basest levels, but I can see past it for the incredible facsimile that it is.
Babyblue, really interesting that you dug the Camel record, I don't remember liking it, but maybe I'll give it a try again soon.
A lot of people really like Deadwing, but I think Porcupine Tree has better to offer. Try it anyway.
Gnidrolog- Lady Lake
Shannon Wright- Over the Sun
GรRARD GRISEY : "Les Espaces Acoustiques"
Steve Moore - Light Echoes
Etna- Etna
Message - From Books and Dreams
The Northern Hymn - Kammarheit
Hardfloor- TB Resucitation
Javiera Mena - Mena
Nine Days' Wonder - Nine Days' Wonder
Well first of all, the controversy that chief mentioned. Deathspell Omega are a French black metal bend from the late 90s, and until recently I haven't seen anyone having a problem with them and their political orientation. Two core band members, who write the songs and lyrics (both are anonymous I think) don't have any history of said political beliefs as far as I'm aware. The third, "2nd circle" member, Mikko Aspa on vocals is the problematic character in this story. He has a history with NSBM bands, and a whole lot of other bad stuff, but apparently he's not a fascist, just a nihilist. Whatever. The controversies started when The Needle Drop deleted his review of their 2019 album, and then BangersTV did a review where they bashed DsO and their fans. All of that happened in 2019, and Mikko was known to be in the band for at least 15 years, which I find quite extraordinary. The two members don't do interviews often, in fact they've done the first interview in 15 years last year. Here it is, if anyone's interested. It's very criptic, but there's a part that says:
"DEATHSPELL OMEGA, as a collective, works in circles. The French core of the collective โ which, incidentally, is the creative core and source of music and lyrics โ is Bataillian by definition and therefore completely immune to mundane politics, having deconstructed them a long time ago. ... A minority of the collectiveโs contributors โ shall we say, parts of the second circle โ whoโve been invited to partake because of their incredible talents as musicians are involved with earthly politics, but stand on completely opposite ends of the political spectrum and are therefore irreconcilable political foes. Were it not for dialogue on the grounds of transgressive art, theyโd be shooting each other."
So is that saying they disagree with Mikko's political views? If so, they still work with him (because he is a great vocalist), which is problematic in itself. There's also a video some guy did defending the band. There are parts which I totally agree with, but there's also parts where we're just assuming DsO members apart from Mikko are great guys without any reason. He criticised TND and BangersTV, and most of those arguments made sense. Anyways, I'm not sure what to think except that Mikko is a total jerk. I'm not buying or streaming their albums though.
Sorry for the ramblings and the long post, but it's an interesting situation.
It's a great album, better than 2019's The Furnaces of Palingenesia, but not as good as their previous effort "Fas-Ite, Maledicti, In Ignem Aeternum" from 2007. Those are the only 3 I've heard so far. I haven't read the lyrics (in fact I haven't read any of their lyrics), but the music is an intricate web of half-dissonant avant-garde black metal riffs. Love the mood. I do prefer the way Fas-Ite was produced though, there were some symphonic elements too, the guitar was much more buried in the mix, and the riffs were faster and more technical (not that that's inherently better, it just fit the mood). Paracletus still managed to suck me into an abyss, quite literally. Abscission was my favourite track I think, but the whole thing was excellent. It's far too complicated to be understood after just 2 listens I think, so I'll give it another spin soon.
(2)
Etna sounds interesting
(3)
deepcuts top 50 of the decade & RYM metal top 100
15/ The Armed - Untitled
49/ Greg Ward - Touch my Beloved's Thought
50/ Oceansize - Self Preserved While the Bodies Float Up
Cryptopsy - None So Vile
Immolation - Close To The World Below
Dismember - Like An Ever Flowing Stream
Autopsy - Mental Funeral
Bolt Thrower - Those Once Loyal
Neurosis - Time of Grace
Demilich - Nespithe _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum