Best Ever Actors and Actresses [POLL] **CLOSED**

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
hereforashortime

United States

• Posted: 12/26/2017 01:52
  • Post subject:
A lot of great actors and actresses are either gonna be very low or not on my list simply because I haven't seen enough of their work, I've only seen one movie from Marilyn Monroe, Bette Davis, Spencer Tracy, and Sidney Poitier and I haven't seen anything from Charlize Theron, Peter O'Toole and Lawrence Olivier. I don't want to put actors or actresses on my list based on reputation alone.
nutso42

• Posted: 12/26/2017 17:34
  • Post subject:
Ladies:

50. Kyoko Kishida
49. Irene Jacob
48. Golshifteh Farahani
47. Maria Falconetti (I dislike including someone based on merits of one performance *, but this is an unavoidable exception)
46. Edna Purviance
45. Brigitte Bardot
44. Charlotte Rampling
43. Mila Parély
42. Anita Ekberg
41. Isabelle Huppert
40. Ingird Thulin
39. Vera Clouzot
38. Elizabeth Taylor
37. Janet Gaynor
36. Saoirse Ronan
35. Setsuko Hara
34. Frances McDormand
33. Lillian Gish
32. Bibi Andersson
31. Julie Delpy
30. Maggie Cheung
29. Mia Farrow
28. Rinku Rajguru
27. Jean Arthur
26. Vera Miles
25. Claudette Colbert
24. Silvia Pinal
23. Shirley Maclaine
22. Deborah Kerr
21. Marlene Dietrich
20. Helen Mirren
19. Giulietta Masina
18. Paulette Godard
17. Taraneh Alidoosti
16. Gloria Swanson
15. Moira Shearer
14. Kajol
13. Grace Kelly
12. Agnes Moorehead
11. Claudia Cardinale
10. Delphine Seyrig
9. Diane Keaton
8. Liv Ullmann
7. Monica Vitti
6. Emmanuelle Riva
5. Ingrid Bergman
4. Audrey Hepburn
3. Isabelle Adjani
2. Katharine Hepburn
1. Jeanne Moreau

(* I know Falconetti did more movies than Passion, but that's the only one I've seen)

Dudefellows

50. Joseph Cotten
49. Donald O'Connor
48. Kenneth Branagh
47. Bruno S
46. Dev Patel
45. Roberto Benigni
44. Buster Keaton
43. Paul Newman
42. Michael Caine
41. Leslie Nielsen
40. Gregory Peck
39. Ethan Hawke
38. Gene Kelly
37. Tony Chiu-Wai Leung
36. Woody Allen
35. Clark Gable
34. Anthony Perkins
33. Adrien Brody
32. Peter Sellers
31. Shane Carruth
30. Bill Murray
29. Fernando Rey
28. Jack Lemmon
27. Erland Josephson
26. Charles Laughton
25. Peter Lorre
24. Sidney Poitier
23. Eiji Okada
22. Al Pacino
21. Anatoly Soloniystn
20. Cary Grant
19. Tatsuya Nakadai
18. Jack Nicholson
17. Henry Fonda
16. Takashi Shimura
15. James Stewart
14. Charlie Chaplin
13. Marcello Mastroianni
12. Marlon Brando
11. Max von Sydow
10. Alain Delon
9. Daniel Day-Lewis
8. Robert Mitchum
7. Jacques Tati
6. Orson Welles
5. Klaus Kinski
4. Alec Guinness
3. Spencer Tracy
2. Peter O'Toole
1. Toshiro Mifune
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/26/2017 18:48
  • Post subject:
Okay, so I put together the actress list. Similar thoughts and feelings as badseed. For some it’s the fact that I have a massive crush on these women or I really wanna “smash” as badseed said. No, I will not use the same logic with the actors, because such thoughts don’t go through my head with them.

Honestly became tough toward the end. I didn’t wanna include an actress with one role I’ve seen no matter how amazing it is (apologies to the GOAT Falconetti). And also sometimes these actresses who are less brilliant as actors are rated higher than true legends of the art. That may be because they just have more charm or are more magnetic or are funnier or make me say “OH! _____ ______ is in this? I have to see it!” Meg Ryan may be the best example this magnetic vibe I get. I just love watching her. She’s also funny. And cute. And a good actress. But is she really better than say Meryl Streep? Probably not. Same with Reese Witherspoon...

Then you have the perfect mix of both, as exemplified by my top 4.

Also I put my fave performance of theirs in parentheses next to each of these picks.

Okay, here it is...

Actresses:

Madhabi Mukherjee (Charulata)
Irene Jacob (The Double Life Of Veronique)
Deborah Kerr (Black Narcissus)
Shirley MacLaine (The Apartment)
Diane Keaton (Manhattan)
Giulietta Masina (Nights Of Cabiria)
Mia Farrow (The Purple Rose Of Cairo)
Bette Davis (All About Eve)
Julie Delpy (Before Midnight)
Meg Ryan (When Harry Met Sally)

Judy Garland (Meet Me In St. Louis)
Gong Li (Raise The Red Lantern)
Frances McDormand (Fargo)
Saoirse Ronin (Brooklyn)
Reese Witherspoon (Walk The Line)
Holly Hunter (The Piano)
Celia Johnson (Brief Encounter)
Sissy Spacek (Badlands)
Bibi Andersson (Persona)
Liv Ullman (Persona)

Marilyn Monroe (Some Like It Hot)
Kate Winslet (Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind)
Moira Sheerer (The Red Shoes)
Grace Kelly (Rear Window)
Natalie Portman (Black Swan)
Jessica Chastain (Interstellar)
Jennifer Ehle (Pride and Prejudice)
Katharine Hepburn (Philadelphia Story)
Hillary Swank (Boys Don’t Cry)
Greta Garbo (Queen Christina)

Brie Larson (Room)
Carrie Fisher (Star Wars)
Faye Dunaway (Bonnie and Clyde)
Claudette Colbert (It Happened One Night)
Harriet Andersson (Cries and Whispers)
Patricia Arquette (Boyhood)
Debra Winger (Terms of Endearment)
Eva Marie Saint (On The Waterfront)
Juliette Binoche (Blue)
Karuna Bannerjee (Aparajita)

Meryl Streep (Sophie’s Choice)
Donna Reed (Its A Wonderful Life)
Julia Roberts (Pretty Woman)
Emmanuele Beart (Un Coeur en Hiver)
Jodie Foster (Panic Room)
Helena Bonham Carter (A Room With A View)
Kristin Stewart (Adventureland)
Jean Arthur (Shane)
Emma Thompson (Sense and Sensibility)
Lea Seydoux (Blue Is The Warmest Color)

Actors:.... Coming Soon.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/26/2017 19:06
  • Post subject:
Quote:
While generally I don't like bad actresses, there are gonna be a few women here who will reach a lofty position ahead of far more talented women simply because of how much I want to smash.

Absolutely disgusting.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 12/26/2017 19:41
  • Post subject:
Gowi wrote:
Quote:
While generally I don't like bad actresses, there are gonna be a few women here who will reach a lofty position ahead of far more talented women simply because of how much I want to smash.

Absolutely disgusting.

lol

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/26/2017 23:04
  • Post subject:
Sexuality is the big elephant in the room here.

badseed wrote:
I tend to give major bonus points to certain actresses for being my cup of tea if you know what I mean. While generally I don't like bad actresses, there are gonna be a few women here who will reach a lofty position ahead of far more talented women simply because of how much I want to smash.

Mercury wrote:
Similar thoughts and feelings as badseed. For some it’s the fact that I have a massive crush on these women or I really wanna “smash” as badseed said.

Gowi wrote:
Absolutely disgusting.

I don't necessarily agree with the top two statements, but even if they weren't said, I would assume everyone is thinking it anyway. I understand where they're coming from. I don't know if I'd go as far to say 'absolutely disgusting' because sometimes, especially for women, acting and sexuality can't be separated. That's show business for you. They take the best-looking of both sexes because sex sells (what's the oldest profession again?). However, this presents a double standard when it comes to these lists:

Mercury wrote:
I will not use the same logic with the actors, because such thoughts don’t go through my head with them.

This basically says Merc's actors list and actresses list will be based on different criteria. Is that fair? No, probably not.

But what can we do?

badseed wrote:
...watching movies is a visual experience so yeah it happens.

True. We can't really help it.

But we can try to be as objective as possible. Again, it's hard because acting and being sexy on camera are sometimes the same thing. And no matter what, the actresses list is gonna be full of eye candy. A) because there aren't many big-name average-looking or ugly actresses out there, so by default. And B) because this is a male-dominated thread where attractiveness will be part of the game.

However, this poll would be a lot fairer if it was more balanced. I would like to see some female BEA users participate in this. Come on ladies, counter this by making lists of your favorite actors where pecks are bonus points.
  • Visit poster's website
badseed

United States

• Posted: 12/27/2017 03:45
  • Post subject:
Great lists nutso and Mercury. I left Falconetti off my list due to not having the experience of getting to watch more movies with her. Merc - I'm assuming your list starts at #1, am I right?

Everyone else - not sure if this is even a thing. But if it is... What?!? d'oh!

I'm a lover of film. What can I say? Greta Garbo had a certain strong yet sexy presence and she carried films with that style. She was easily the most consistently great actress of the 1930s regardless and that run was good enough for me to call her my #1 for years now. It was kind of tongue in cheek when I said I'd like to "smash" them. It was just a short way of saying "grace/beauty" which isn't far off from saying Cary Grant or Sean Connery are good actors for being "suave." Like really I don't fantasize about dead/old people anyway so yeah I don't get it. Marilyn Monroe was fine as fuck but she didn't make my list because her style of acting doesn't tick most of my boxes. Y'all act like I'm trying to rig the list by sexualizing women but there's way more ugly chicks on my list. It's still about the acting for me, but keep in mind it's also about favorites. The ones you like to watch the most. I don't recall us all coming to a consensus of "go with what you think is best, not your favorites" on the other lists. So yeah, Amy Adams may not be the most compelling actress of the last ten years but she is consistently good, and in a lot of her on screen roles she is sexy as hell so she's my #15. So what? When I see her name above a movie title it interests me.

If this is a "I don't like girls" thing as opposed to a "that's so politically incorrect" or "that's a trashy way to judge actresses" way then yeah I'll point out Udo Kier is in my top 10. I don't dig guys like that but I'm comfortable enough to admit someone is attractive. And to me he's a beautiful man. And with movies being an art form, there are many directors who have taken great advantage of using Udo's eyes to enhance a scene. From the opposite spectrum, Steve Buscemi is a damn good actor but anyone who absolutely loves the guy will admit it was his unique look that first drew them in.
  • Visit poster's website
mickilennial
The Most Trusted Name in News

Poland

• Posted: 12/27/2017 03:59
  • Post subject:
It’s a good thing I was speaking for myself, my own moral compass, and perspective therein. That kind of measure reeks of objectification to me and for good reason. There is a very clear difference from finding a performer attractive, magnetic, or appealing and making it the selling point on how you measure them as a performer. It’s the sort of sexist rhetoric I expect from teenagers and fraternity residents rather than comprehensive enthusiasts who respect the artform. As self-righteous and overzealous as it may be, it makes me absolutely disgusted and apprehensive towards people who excuse and justify it. It feels sexist. It feels inappropriate. It devalues the discussion of performance. I won’t even touch the whole talking point that of unfair measuring between the two genders, because that should be a given.

And no, you shouldn’t have the presumption that “everyone is thinking it anyway”. As for what you can do about unfair measures? Well, I’m not in charge of this list nor am I an authority on what to do here, but you can either tolerate them or choose to not weigh them at all. The choice you make is up to how you want to run a list. Though I have a feeling how this is going to go.

The excuse that “we can’t help it” is absolute rubbish, by the way. Some people have impulses others don’t, but it is not an innate thing that every person in existence has. If I’m being honest – and this is going to reinforce the ‘overzealous’ point – I lose a lot of respect I had for a person when they try to justify and excuse this kind of opinion. But I suppose then this evolves into a debate of preferences and at what point do preferences become acceptable. Because that is what we are measuring here; so it becomes difficult to discern where a line exists even if there is one in the first place. For me it’s an unacceptable measure and for Mercury (and I suppose Badseed) it is an acceptable measure. But yes, in the end it does absolute disgust me and makes me wary around such personalities.

So given this is an acceptable standard to weigh acting, I believe it would be best if I abstained. So y'all have fun measuring how you measure. Not my place to tell you how to run a list.
  • Visit poster's website
CA Dreamin

United States

• Posted: 12/27/2017 08:42
  • Post subject:
badseed wrote:
It was kind of tongue in cheek when I said I'd like to "smash" them. It was just a short way of saying "grace/beauty"

Well it didn't come off that way.

Gowi wrote:
That kind of measure reeks of objectification to me and for good reason. There is a very clear difference from finding a performer attractive, magnetic, or appealing and making it the selling point on how you measure them as a performer. It’s the sort of sexist rhetoric I expect from teenagers and fraternity residents rather than comprehensive enthusiasts who respect the artform. It feels inappropriate.

Valid points.

Gowi wrote:
The excuse that “we can’t help it” is absolute rubbish, by the way. Some people have impulses others don’t, but it is not an innate thing that every person in existence has.

Yes I'm aware there is a very small asexual population. I meant "we" as in myself, badseed, Mercury, and the vast majority of people I've met (those who aren't asexual). And I wasn't saying "we can't help it" as an excuse to justify badseed's and Merc's statements. I simply meant we can't help having such thoughts and feelings. That's all. But I never said I condoned it as a measure for this list.

Gowi wrote:
I suppose then this evolves into a debate of preferences and at what point do preferences become acceptable. Because that is what we are measuring here; so it becomes difficult to discern where a line exists even if there is one in the first place. For me it’s an unacceptable measure and for Mercury (and I suppose Badseed) it is an acceptable measure.

It isn't like they listed attractive actresses for their own sake.

Gowi wrote:
So given this is an acceptable standard to weigh acting, I believe it would be best if I abstained.

I think you're wrong. If your list kept sexuality out of the equation, then I think it'd be better to have your input.
  • Visit poster's website
nutso42

• Posted: 12/27/2017 16:00
  • Post subject:
StreetSpirit wrote:
True. We can't really help it.

I'm sure Harvey Weinstein is saying the same thing right now.

And for what it's worth, yes we can.