Will check that out.
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/19/2024 04:02
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
CharlieBarley wrote:
This is a great thread. I have only checked the first and last few pages but this is great.
Any thread that starts with Donovan and Bert Jansch bodes well.
I've never been a Metalhead but I have always loved Sabbath and Iron Maiden so there is hope for me yet!

yeah! this thread took quite the detour from The Mellow Zone to The Repo Zone! Check out that Candlemass album ....

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass

I think it's a good place for someone who loves Sabbath to delve into 1986 metal.

Hey Repo,

I just got round to listening to this Candlemass album.
It's very good. Not the usual sort of thing I would listen to but hey it was pretty epic.
Thanks for the rec!
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2024 17:27
  • Post subject:
CharlieBarley wrote:
Repo wrote:
CharlieBarley wrote:
This is a great thread. I have only checked the first and last few pages but this is great.
Any thread that starts with Donovan and Bert Jansch bodes well.
I've never been a Metalhead but I have always loved Sabbath and Iron Maiden so there is hope for me yet!

yeah! this thread took quite the detour from The Mellow Zone to The Repo Zone! Check out that Candlemass album ....

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass

I think it's a good place for someone who loves Sabbath to delve into 1986 metal.

Hey Repo,

I just got round to listening to this Candlemass album.
It's very good. Not the usual sort of thing I would listen to but hey it was pretty epic.
Thanks for the rec!

Oh good! Glad u liked it! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/19/2024 17:41
  • Post subject:
Hey loyal Repoans!!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. I've been in a bit of a rut. BUT, I will get out of it. I do feel like I need to shake things up a bit and take a different approach to get things flowing again. So I'm going to approach this a little differently and radically shift to something I know near to nothing about while still sticking with metal <+ hard rock since I'm old! lol. Twisted Evil >

So I'm going to jump from 1986 to 1999 Metal <+Hard Rock Twisted Evil >. I'm going to make my reviews shorter and instead of coming up with an ultimate grand Top Ten list where I would survey every conceivable record I could find, I'm just going to be content with finding ten to twenty albums that I consider "Great!", which translates to a Pitchfork score of 8.0 or higher essentially. <I think. What should be a 4 out of 5 stars when I was growing up essentially.>

So if u have any Metal/Hard Rock/Heavy Psych/Prog records from 1999, please send them my way. I'll also try to come up with a similar Punk/Post-Hardcore/Post-Punk list for 1999 so feel free to give recs in that vein as well.

The main thing is just to get writing again WITHOUT feeling the need to listen to everything as I've tried to do in the past.

I'll force myself to post something later tonight just to get this rolling!

Peace! Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/19/2024 20:05
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Hey loyal Repoans!!!

Sorry I haven't posted in a bit. I've been in a bit of a rut. BUT, I will get out of it. I do feel like I need to shake things up a bit and take a different approach to get things flowing again. So I'm going to approach this a little differently and radically shift to something I know near to nothing about while still sticking with metal <+ hard rock since I'm old! lol. Twisted Evil >

So I'm going to jump from 1986 to 1999 Metal <+Hard Rock Twisted Evil >. I'm going to make my reviews shorter and instead of coming up with an ultimate grand Top Ten list where I would survey every conceivable record I could find, I'm just going to be content with finding ten to twenty albums that I consider "Great!", which translates to a Pitchfork score of 8.0 or higher essentially. <I think. What should be a 4 out of 5 stars when I was growing up essentially.>

So if u have any Metal/Hard Rock/Heavy Psych/Prog records from 1999, please send them my way. I'll also try to come up with a similar Punk/Post-Hardcore/Post-Punk list for 1999 so feel free to give recs in that vein as well.

The main thing is just to get writing again WITHOUT feeling the need to listen to everything as I've tried to do in the past.

I'll force myself to post something later tonight just to get this rolling!

Peace! Twisted Evil

Hi Repo, hope things are better now for you...
1999 is not really the year I link to metal either. The highest ranked real metal album in my chart is S&M of all albums and not very high ranked either so I fear I can't be of much help here. But I'm looking forward to some recs so we can both fill in the blanks.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/20/2024 01:52
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:

Hi Repo, hope things are better now for you...
1999 is not really the year I link to metal either. The highest ranked real metal album in my chart is S&M of all albums and not very high ranked either so I fear I can't be of much help here. But I'm looking forward to some recs so we can both fill in the blanks.

Thanks, dihansse!

AND, I think I have the perfect rec for you & me. Everyone else probably always know it as it was a HUGE record in the metal-verse in 1999...

Still Life by Opeth

What can I say. I'm an idiot. How else to explain my lack of knowledge of this album that has wowed me almost immediately. So many disparate threads of disparate genres coming together on this one. It'll take a bit of time and many more listens for this to sink in, but I'm incredibly impressed. I'll come back in one week and give it the proper Repozoan write-up it deserves, but man, this is an album that could easily take over one's life with its lore and world-building. Highly impressed!

It also reminded me that I'm no longer inclined to keep this thread to just metal. BUT, it's these kind of albums -living, breathing beings with a gravitational force to create their own world - that I want to be delving into.
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/20/2024 11:03
  • Post subject:
I was doing a rough sketch of the best 90s metal songs (much like the 80s variant we did here), and The Moor is top 3 in every metric I can think of. Still Life is fantastic, but not one of my fave Opeth records overall.

Best metal/rock picks in 1999 (omitting Still Life):

Stronghold by Summoning

At The Heart Of Winter by Immortal

Arntor by Windir

Pale Folklore by Agalloch

Calculating Infinity by The Dillinger Escape Plan

California by Mr. Bungle

Chaos Is Me by Orchid (Screamo)

Live 81-82 by The Birthday Party

Metropolis Pt. 2: Scenes From A Memory ...am Theater

Times Of Grace by Neurosis

Paysage d'Hiver by Paysage d'Hiver

I Know A Girl Who Develops Crime Scene ...dedveteran

Jerusalem by Sleep (US)

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/21/2024 03:31
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
I was doing a rough sketch of the best 90s metal songs (much like the 80s variant we did here), and The Moor is top 3 in every metric I can think of. Still Life is fantastic, but not one of my fave Opeth records overall.

Interesting. BUT, I really don't know much about them. Gonna cue Still Life up again in a bit. What's your favorite favorite Opeth album?! Do u have a ranking?!

Thanks for the recs!!! Very Happy

edit: What's amazing to me is how parts of songs like "Face of Melinda" and "Moonlapse Vertigo" reminds me of those two "folk metal" EPs cut by Alice In Chains in the early 90s. And yeah, "The Moor" is just epic!

That Sap EP may be favorite thing that Alice In Chains ever cut. AND I adore Alice In Chains.

Sap by Alice In Chains

I may be alone on my own little limb here, but I wonder if Mikael (of Opeth) was at all influenced by AIC? Think
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 03/21/2024 09:32
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Interesting. BUT, I really don't know much about them. Gonna cue Still Life up again in a bit. What's your favorite favorite Opeth album?! Do u have a ranking?!

Blackwater Park, My Arms Your Hearse and Morningrise are my top 3. Then again, most people would put Still Life right at the top, so there are no wrong answers really.

Here's something about AiC. Turns out they were a huge influence on Mikael, well spotted Repo. Btw Jar of Flies and Sap are also my fave AiC releases, glad to have that approved by a metal guru Very Happy
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge...s_day.html

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/21/2024 22:46
  • Post subject:
LedZep wrote:
Blackwater Park, My Arms Your Hearse and Morningrise are my top 3. Then again, most people would put Still Life right at the top, so there are no wrong answers really.

Here's something about AiC. Turns out they were a huge influence on Mikael, well spotted Repo. Btw Jar of Flies and Sap are also my fave AiC releases, glad to have that approved by a metal guru Very Happy
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/news/ge...s_day.html

Wow! Great little read. I wish I had had this angle years ago. I most likely would have explored Opeth's stuff earlier. BUT, then again, I haven't really listened to latter day AiC either. Neutral

I might have to geek out on '90s Opeth for a bit now that I've got a taste. Maybe I'll just start going backwards with My Arms Your Hearse next and then try to make some comparisons.
  • Visit poster's website