Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
babyBlueSedan
Used to be sort of blind, now can sort of see

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 15:44
  • Post subject: Albums you disliked because they weren't what you expected
...but eventually ended up loving.

I couldn't think of a better way to word the title, but basically my thought is this. Usually when you listen to a new album, you have an idea of what it will sound like or what you're hoping to get out of it. If you're not familiar with the artist or genre, this idea may be vastly different than what the album ends up sounding like, and it might be off putting at first. Are there any albums you feel like you originally didn't give a fair chance because they didn't meet your expectations, but when you went back to them later really enjoyed? Also feel free to discuss any thoughts you have in general on how one should set their expectations when listening to new albums.

The album that made me think of this topic is Jens Lekman's Night Falls on Kortedala. For some reason I'm not sure of, when I first listened to it I thought it would be similar to Sufjan Stevens's folkier albums. I listened to it because I was really in the mood for a sparse album like that. The lush instrumentation really turned me off and I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics. Luckily I went back to it, because I discovered it's a really beautiful album and has truly amazing lyrics. It's pretty much all I've been listening to recently.

Others that come to mind are Marquee Moon (which I expected to be closer to hardcore punk than post punk) and The Glow Pt 2 (which I was hoping would be a copy of ITAOTS). I came around to Marquee Moon pretty quickly afterwards but The Glow Pt 2 took me quite a few listens to really appreciate as a sparse, almost ambient folk album.
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 16:20
  • Post subject:
Yes. And usually the reason I didn't like the album at first is because I thought it was too different from their other albums. But ironically, the other big reason that I don't often like an album at first is because I thought it was too similar to their other albums. Ha ha. There's actually a lot of them so I need time to come up with a list
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 18:01
  • Post subject: Re: Albums you disliked because they weren't what you expect
babyBlueSedan wrote:
...but eventually ended up loving.

I couldn't think of a better way to word the title, but basically my thought is this. Usually when you listen to a new album, you have an idea of what it will sound like or what you're hoping to get out of it. If you're not familiar with the artist or genre, this idea may be vastly different than what the album ends up sounding like, and it might be off putting at first. Are there any albums you feel like you originally didn't give a fair chance because they didn't meet your expectations, but when you went back to them later really enjoyed? Also feel free to discuss any thoughts you have in general on how one should set their expectations when listening to new albums.

The album that made me think of this topic is Jens Lekman's Night Falls on Kortedala. For some reason I'm not sure of, when I first listened to it I thought it would be similar to Sufjan Stevens's folkier albums. I listened to it because I was really in the mood for a sparse album like that. The lush instrumentation really turned me off and I didn't pay much attention to the lyrics. Luckily I went back to it, because I discovered it's a really beautiful album and has truly amazing lyrics. It's pretty much all I've been listening to recently.

Others that come to mind are Marquee Moon (which I expected to be closer to hardcore punk than post punk) and The Glow Pt 2 (which I was hoping would be a copy of ITAOTS). I came around to Marquee Moon pretty quickly afterwards but The Glow Pt 2 took me quite a few listens to really appreciate as a sparse, almost ambient folk album.

lol. I still haven't gotten it. lBut, I don't give up easy. Someday, baby. someday.
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 19:50
  • Post subject:
Trout Mask ow could anyone expect that if you'd never heard beef heart before it. Now i think ts pure genius.

Trout Mask Replica by Captain Beefheart...Magic Band

I actually enjoy this crazy album as well and its also nothing like could be anticipated. its not the masterpiece trout mask is but i enjoy it more and more the more i listen to it.
Unfinished Music No. 1: Two Virgins by ...; Yoko Ono
  • Visit poster's website
glynspsa

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 19:53
  • Post subject:
I despised this album at first now i love it, the greatest rap album of al time in my opinion:
Ready To Die by The Notorious B.I.G.
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 20:35
  • Post subject:
Rush-Signals

Rush was first a screaming hard rock band that then evolved into progressive rock, but was still guitar driven.

Then came the 80s and they dropped this synth driven album with far less progressiveness than previous albums and Alex Lifeson's awesome guitar shoved into the background. What a Waste!

Interestingly, as time passed an I focused on the songs rather than the sound, I realized what an outstanding album this is. Despite the clearly 80s sound, it has held up well and is in the upper half of Rush's catalogue.
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 20:46
  • Post subject:
Fischman wrote:
Rush-Signals

Rush was first a screaming hard rock band that then evolved into progressive rock, but was still guitar driven.

Then came the 80s and they dropped this synth driven album with far less progressiveness than previous albums and Alex Lifeson's awesome guitar shoved into the background. What a Waste!

Interestingly, as time passed an I focused on the songs rather than the sound, I realized what an outstanding album this is. Despite the clearly 80s sound, it has held up well and is in the upper half of Rush's catalogue.

totally. me too. Grace Under pressure too for that matter.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 09/04/2017 22:24
  • Post subject:
I at first really disliked these albums (because of expectation) and then grew to love them:

Adore by The Smashing Pumpkins

Born To Die by Lana Del Rey

Boy by U2

New Adventures In Hi-Fi by R.E.M.
  • Visit poster's website
911Turbo

Canada

• Posted: 09/04/2017 23:17
  • Post subject:
I have "SO MANY" albums that surpised me how much i love them with time.
I will discuss a few.

Bruce Springsteen: I was first turned on by the "Darkness on the edge of Town" and "Born to Run".
He really delivers rock and roll: with a cast of ace musicians, he taxes them to the utmost, horn riffs, tempo changes, musics shifts that are fast and furious, we get endless energy, heart felt drama with a kickass band ie Thunder road, Backstreets, Shes the one.

On "Darkness"; songs like "adam raised a cain", Promise land;Bruce is playing a blistering guitar, howling, hes rocking tougher than ever before. This album is smoking. Its pure high energy.

Both albums are rock and roll masterpieces.

Then he produces NEBRASKA.His starkest record. Even the album cover is gloomy.
"mansion on the hill", "my fathers house" are genuine folk music. Sung by a man who seems paralyzed by his feelings. I absolutely hated it. wheres the old ROCKING Bruce????
On this album, his songwriting is from the point of view of a worker, not a star.
Its stripped down and bleak.
Recently, I just found out that this album was recorded on a 4 track tape machine. He carried it around for 2 weeks before he decided to release it.

Today this may be my favourite Springsteen album becuse it is so different and dark. I love it. His voice is so incredible.
WARNING: If you want to get into Bruce, DO NOTstart off by listening to this ablum.

Rolling Stones Black and Blue. Its not a stones masterpiece but i give it way higher marks becuse it was such a surprise that still sounds amazing.
Reggae tunes that are good and crude. Can you believe it????
It sounds so different than any stones before or after.
Jaggers singing is absolute amazing. And the songs are really good- memory hotel,fool to cry and the silly cowboy song "hand of fate".
Also, this album debuted new guitarist Ron Wood. With none of the skill of Mick Taylor.
Ron Wood looked more like a stone than taylor ever did.
At the time, I didn't get it. Now, when it goes on, the volume gets turned up. I love it.

Sex Pistols -never mind the bollocks. 30 years ago, that's how long it made an impression.
This album was just to raw. Corrosive.
Its not that i hated it, truth be told, I just didn't even know what the hell i was listening to,at the time.
Soon, I couldn't stop playing it .
There have been thousands of imitations (which all sucked when making a comparison to sex pistols) which to me, have never had that jagged edge.
This album was shocking, tasteless and rebellious- anarchy in the UK, god save the queen, no feelings, etc.......
steve jones guitar is incredible, johnny rotten was rude and insight.
Now I only listen to it once a year, but back then,it was so original and unique. True masterpiece.

Today, there are thousands of musicians that would have sold crack to nuns to make any 1 of these albums.
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 09/05/2017 01:11
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
I at first really disliked these albums (because of expectation) and then grew to love them:

Adore by The Smashing Pumpkins

Born To Die by Lana Del Rey

Boy by U2

New Adventures In Hi-Fi by R.E.M.

What no Vampire Weekend? I thought we had something going Crying or Very sad . Laughing Laughing Laughing

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website