A Deep Dive Into My Top 100 Albums ever

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
ramthecowy

United States

• Posted: 11/15/2018 15:45
  • Post subject:
My man! Good to know, I absolutely love your banging picks, Return to the Forever and Chick Corea are the real deal Applause I'm personally a huge fan of Weather Report because god DAMN Jaco is an utter beast on the bass. I'm open to finding new stuff too so if you got anything do definitely slide it my way Laughing
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2018 00:34
  • Post subject:

I'll be posting again shortly!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 11/18/2018 01:46
  • Post subject:
#77: Phaedra // Tangerine Dream

^I'm back!

Alright everybody, I hope you missed me, because I missed you all! I've been a lazy piece of crap lately, and haven't been posting anything anywhere lately. I promise I'll be better and won't disappoint you all again (until I inevitably do). Anyways, on with the post!

Phaedra is another album that is played on infinite loop in heaven. An album of prettiness that can only be experienced, Phaedra is Tangerine Dream's most musically consistent album and their first breakthrough.

I love this album because, much like Ambient 1, it is a very calm and soothing collection of lovely and sweet sounds. The swirling landscapes created surround you and amaze you as the tower landscape of sound permeates your environment. This album demands either headphones or a really good sound system for a truly immersive listen.

This is a really great place to start with Tangerine Dream, and if you want something more harsh and less peaceful, I would recommend their album Zeit for you (and your troubled soul).

Link

Godspeed music junkies!

• Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 11/19/2018 01:42
  • Post subject:
#78: Amazing Grace // Aretha Franklin

Holy shit.

That's the first reaction to this historic performance of Aretha's, and that's still my feeling. I had never really listened to Aretha other than her cameo in the Blues Brothers and whatever song a movie decided to play, and when I heard she was "gravely ill" I figured I should actually sit down and give her music a real listen. And good God Almighty (literally) what a fantastic performance.

Aretha's voice soars high above this album, and the only thing that could make this any better is actually being present for this outstanding concert. Every selection on this album is an immaculate piece of God-glorification, as Aretha bears her soul to the high above. Her performance of Amazing Grace is the high point of the album, and forced me to stop what I was doing and just absorb the massive power, beauty, and grace in Aretha's voice.

So for an album of extraordinary vocals and immense power, give a listen to this truly amazing (see what I did there?) album.

Link

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 11/20/2018 02:17
  • Post subject:
#79: Sound Of Silver // LCD Soundsystem

Us... and them. Over, and over, again.

What a fire-flames album. Introduced to this album by a friend who gave me a hodgepodge of music on a flash drive, LCD Soundsystem was an artist I had always heard about but never really given any thought to (too?). Nobody had ever recommended them to me, so there was no real ethos behind listening to them.

So, after sifting through most of the random albums, I finally got around to Sound of Silver. The first time through I enjoyed the album, but it was nothing extraordinary. But, something kept drawing me back to the album and just made me keep listening to it over and over again. I can't pin it down, but something about the eclecticism of the music kept perking up my ears every time I listened to it.

Eclectic is probably the best way to describe this album, or rather, LCD Soundsystem in general. If, gun to my head, I had to pick a genre, I'd have to say Electro-Rock (If that even is a genre). Regardless of non-standard genre conventions, this album cannot be pinned down well with any genre specification, which is, as I mentioned earlier, why it's a great album for repeated listens. Nothing is standard or by the numbers in any regard on this album.

The multitude of influences is another thing to marvel at, and the main reason why you can't really classify this album. I hear Velvet Underground, Kraftwerk, Can, Yes, and even Philip Glass and Steve Reich. I love this album because it's an amazing amalgamation of musical stew that smells a bit peculiar but tastes divine.

When I was president of a music appreciation club in college, I was really- wait, you didn't know I was president of a music appreciation club? Where do you think my ethos comes from? I've mentioned this several times before, I was president of a group called SNAPS (it's not an acronym) my senior year of college, and we played amazing music. Well, if you wanna learn more about this, go back through my other posts and read them. Well, if you're sooooooo interested, maybe I can post all the music we listened to under my tenure, would you like that? Now, go back and read the old posts and stop disappointing me like I disappoint myself.

Anyway, where was I? Oh yes. When I was first elected President of SNAPS, I was terrified of the first album I was gonna choose for the first meeting. It had to be different enough to not be completely mainstream, and yet it had to be mainstream enough so that people might have at least heard of it. And it, you know, had to be a great album. My first choice was Somethin' Else by Cannonball Adderley because the first album the previous year was also a jazz album. I went back and forth between a dozen different albums over the summer and, for the life of me, could not make up my mind. I went through the whole summer without choosing an album, and finally, the day before the first meeting of the school year, I finally found the perfect album. An eclectic album that is a quasi-mainstream electro-rock selection that is deeper and less off-putting that electronica? Perfect! So, we played Sound of Silver and everybody tolerated it enough to come back to another meeting. And the rest, they say, is to be discussed at a later date depending on interest expressed in this thread.

Holy shit that was a long paragraph. Anyway, please enjoy a great album that will beckon you for many, many repeated listens.

Link

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 11/20/2018 03:19
  • Post subject:
You can haz the words. Well written, compelling, meaningful blog here. They may have made me in a German factory or laboratory. hehe. Keep it up! Live Long and Prosper.
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 11/21/2018 02:30
  • Post subject:
#80: Made In Japan // Deep Purple

Hell yeah! Rock n roll!

This is essentially a live Spinal Tap album, and every moment of it is amazing. Every track is an amazing extension of their studio albums, and it's a landmark heavy metal album.

Unfortunately, I would talk in tiny circles if I continued using words to describe this album. So, in an effort to avoid this, I will now use gifs and videos to describe every song.

Highway Star:

Link

Child in Time:

Smoke on the Water:

The Mule:

Strange Kind of Woman:

Lazy:

Space Truckin:

I hope you enjoyed this as much as I did.

Link

Godspeed music junkies!
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 11/21/2018 05:51
  • Post subject:
Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Dancing Applause Applause Applause Applause
  • Visit poster's website
Komorebi-D

Australia

• Posted: 11/21/2018 11:04
  • Post subject:
jdenny2018 wrote:

Jesus, I love that gif. Mind if I borrow it.

2019: The 25 [RYM]
2020: The 25 [RYM]
  • Visit poster's website
  • Visit poster's website
jdenny2018

United States

• Posted: 11/22/2018 16:44
  • Post subject:
Happy Thanksgiving everybody! I'm thankful for every one of you beautiful people who have continued to read my increasingly unhinged ramblings on my favorite albums. Had it not been for the positive feedback I received early on, I probably would've stopped writing. So, thank you.

Now, have a lovely day, be thankful for your friends, family and blessings, and be sure to be a gluttonous human being before falling asleep watching a half-decent football game on tv while relatives bicker about politics in the background.

Godspeed music junkies!

• Visit poster's website