Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 429, 430, 431, 432  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/04/2024 14:21
  • Post subject:
(1)

X by Klaus Schulze
Everything Klaus Schulze related is cool. At least the 2 solo albums I've heard plus Ash Ra Tempel. Irrlicht is a different execution of Zeit which is one of my favourite albums, Mirage is a synth-led Berlin progressive electronic standard. I'll add X to that collection - another excellent and highly enjoyable record. A bit long and thus a more difficult listen, but it didn't bother me much. In fact, it was better executed than Mirage imo, much more engaging and has those cool minimalist influences. I just got lost in the bleeps and bloops and strings and repetitive synth soundscapes, could barely tell songs/compositions apart, but ended up enjoying almost everything. There was a time when Tangerine Dream were my go-to for work music. Klaus Schulze does everything TD do and probably even better, both in the background listening context and just all around. Well, apart from Zeit, which is still the biggest standout of the early Berlin electronic scene for me. Point is, "X" good. I'll certainly return to it. 8.5/10

(2)
Vinterland is on my wishlist as well

(3)
Picks from BEA metal charts, 2023 wishlist, some other cool stuff.
R marks relistens

Sacramentum - Far Away From the Sun (Gowi) (R)
Pyrrhon - Mother of Virtues (AfterHours)
Sampha - Lahai
Lana Del Rey - Did you know there was a tunnel under Ocean Blvd
MIKE - Burning Desire
Mitski - The Land Is Inhospitable and So Are We
The Cardigans - Life (R)
Ultravox - Ha! Ha! Ha!
NEU - NEU! '75 (R?)
Gil Scott-Heron - It's Your World (R?)

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/07/2024 20:29
  • Post subject:

Welcome My Last Chapter by Vinterland

I swear if you look at the credits of any Swedish Metal album in the 90s/00s you're going to see the name of Dan Swanö appear. Very Happy

He adds some nice textural keyboards here and there on this Melodic Black Metal album.

This album, as you would expect, takes some cues from Dissection (Dissection being one of the only other Black Metal bands that I know of as "melodic") so if you're familiar with them then you'll know what to expect. I listened to a remastered version which sounded excellent; however, I do prefer the lo-fi kind of Black Metal. The "sounds like it was recorded in a burned out church" kind of thing. Solid stuff here for sure, I don't really have the ability to scrutinize this kind of music as necessarily being better or worse than anything else related to it, but I enjoyed it.

Ledzep, Sacramentum will be next, because it's also Melodic Black Metal.

Painkiller- Buried Secrets
Believer- Dimensions
BUCK-TICK- Darker Than Darkness -style 93-
Sentenced- North From Here
Sol Invictus- In The Rain
Directions- Directions in Music
Pan.Thy.Monium- Khaooohs and Kon-Fus-Ion
Theatre of Tragedy- Velvet Darkness They Fear
The Third and The Mortal- Painting On Glass
Breach- It's Me God
  • Visit poster's website
baystateoftheart
Neil Young as a butternut squash

United States

• Posted: 01/08/2024 23:25
  • Post subject:

Fat Boys by Fat Boys

RYM ranks this as the #1 beatboxing album of all time, and it's the first one I've heard with this much beatboxing. Buff The Human Beat Box definitely gives this record a distinctive vibe and elevates the music with his skills. More rap groups should have a dedicated beatboxer. As for the other elements, the beats and flows are nice. Their "Fat Boys" shtick is corny and is the focus of a couple borderline comedy/novelty tracks, but that doesn't weigh things down too much (no pun intended I swear). Overall, this is a fun, feel-good 80s rap album with a party atmosphere that goes down easy. Starting at a low 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. I don't know any of those artists, so take it from the top.

~~~~~

3. BEA Top Albums By Decade

30s: 1. Negro Sinful Songs - Lead Belly
40s: 3. The Midnight Special (And Other Southern Prison Songs) - Lead Belly
50s: 11. Berry Is On Top - Chuck Berry
60s: 63. The Who Sell Out - The Who
70s: 63. Hotel California - Eagles
80s: 63. The Unforgettable Fire - U2
90s: 83. The Holy Bible - Manic Street Preachers
00s: 63. Franz Ferdinand - Franz Ferdinand
10s: 76. Hand. Cannot. Erase. - Steven Wilson
20s: 18. Hellfire - Black Midi
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/09/2024 17:57
  • Post subject:
Glad you at least enjoyed Fat Boys, baystate. When I saw that album cover at a record store, I thought "ok this is probably garbage or novelty but I HAVE to buy it". Turned out to wildly exceed expectations for me!

Live In Europe 1967: The Bootleg Series...is Quintet

I was hesitant on this for a few reasons. First, I’m generally not a huge fan of Miles during this period in his career when he was getting deep into jazz fusion but hadn’t yet released In a Silent Way or Bitches Brew which basically perfected his fusion style. Second, this is a set of live recordings from 3 concerts which have pretty close to the same setlists.

This surprised me though, and while I maybe would’ve preferred just one of the concerts (or a combination of the 3 taking the best bits from each), I found myself really enjoying this. The Quintet consists of Miles, Wayne Shorter on sax (!!), Tony Williams on drums (!!!), and Herbie Hancock on piano (!!!!), and then Ron Carter on bass who I hadn’t heard of before but he’s solid. The lineup is one of the best Miles ever put together, and each of the musicians gets their chance to shine.

The song choices are also mostly made up of music from earlier in Miles’ career: from Workin’/Cookin’/Relaxin’/Steamin’ with the Miles Davis Quintet and then a few standards which I associate mostly with Miles (Round Midnight, On Green Dolphin Street). Honestly, if you told me that this album was recorded 5-10 years earlier, I might’ve believed it. It’s an interesting return to hard bop or post-bop at a time when Miles was mainly working in modal jazz or jazz fusion.

Cool idea for "canon" albums to choose from! Personally I love Franz Ferdinand. If you've never listened before, I'm interested in hearing how well it's aged.

I'm switching things up as well, going for Acclaimed Music best "bubbling under" albums of the 2010s:
- Hell on Heels by Pistol Annies (2011)
- Public Strain by Women (2010)
- Elaenia by Floating Points (2015)
- Quiet Signs by Jessica Pratt (2019)
- Hot Thoughts by Spoon (2017)
- More Than Any Other Day by Ought (2014)
- Angels & Devils by The Bug (2014)
- Oshin by DIIV (2012)
- Assume Form by James Blake (2019)
- Relatives in Descent by Protomartyr (2017)
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/10/2024 10:20
  • Post subject:
(1)

Far Away From The Sun by Sacramentum
Yeah this is good. I remember it being excellent and (predictably) reminding me of Dissection, but that was at the time when I was binge listening all the metal classics. I've got more experience and knowledge about all things metal now. Despite that, the conclusion is practically the same: this sounds a lot like Dissection and it's good. The album cover is cool af, the riffs are fantastic (especially on the title track), the vocals probably better than Dissection's and thankfully the band's members are less controversial than Jon Nödtveidt as well. That being said, it didn't grab me like the best melodic black metal (Windir, Immortal, maybe...) Very glad I've revisited, it's an easy and engaging listen for fans of the genre, will be listening to more Sacramentum in the future. High 8/10

(2)
Love Floating Points, although Elaenia isn't on par with his best work. Or at least I don't dig that style as much as IDM on Crush. Let's hear what you think.

(3)
R marks relistens

Killing Joke - Hosannas From the Basement of Hell (Mercury)
Sampha - Lahai
MIKE - Burning Desire
The Cardigans - Life (R)
Ultravox - Ha! Ha! Ha!
NEU - NEU! '75 (R?)
Gil Scott-Heron - It's Your World (R?)

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Tha1ChiefRocka
Yeah, well hey, I'm really sorry.

United States

• Posted: 01/16/2024 05:44
  • Post subject:

Buried Secrets by Painkiller

Painkiller is an extension of the grindcore elements present on John Zorn's Naked City release from 1990. He pairs up with Bill Laswell on Bass, and Mick Harris from Napalm Death on drums for this album. The founding members of Godflesh show up on the two longer tracks as well, which makes sense for what Zorn wants to accomplish here.

This album is the 2nd of 2 eps released in 91 and 92. If you have listened to Naked City, then you have a good idea of what is going on here. If you have not, then listening to this will either intrigue you, or it will completely repel you.

Link

So, if you want about 27 minutes of that, well, here you go.

It's actually not all that extreme, in fact, there's a dub song on here that is relatively chill, and the two longer tracks aren't nearly as unhinged as the shorter ones. Although, I'm sorry to report that the next album from this group is 80 minutes long, and I might listen to that soon as well. At least that album has ambient listed as a genre, so maybe there will be a break from the chaos.

I LOVE that Killing Joke album. A bit repetitive over the long runtime, but it hits like truck.

Believer- Dimensions
BUCK-TICK- Darker Than Darkness -style 93-
Sentenced- North From Here
Sol Invictus- In The Rain
Directions- Directions in Music
Pan.Thy.Monium- Khaooohs and Kon-Fus-Ion
Theatre of Tragedy- Velvet Darkness They Fear
The Third and The Mortal- Painting On Glass
Breach- It's Me God
Delerium- Karma
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/18/2024 13:38
  • Post subject:
(1)

Hosannas From The Basements Of Hell by Killing Joke
Listening to this after Einsturzende Neubauten and The Birthday Party's live probably wasn't the best idea. A man can handle only so much noise/industrial rock. That being said, I'm glad to have finally listened to Killing Joke's later career music. The only albums of theirs I was familiar with were the debut and Night Time. This is, as advertised, chaotic, loud and fun. Oddly enjoyable and melodic at times, too. I love the abrasive industrial albums which shock you to the core, but don't have anything against the more structured and ordinary songs either. This one combines both stiles, it's a great effort. Jaz Coleman's vocals weirdly remind me of some Mastodon vocals by Troy Sanders. The first two songs are especially fire and the rest ain't too bad either. Chief is right, it's slightly too long, but it didn't bother me much at all. The best thing I've heard from the band. 8.5/10

(2)
Delerium's Karma is a slightly cheesy and very enjoyable 90s electronic record. Like it a lot.

(3)
R marks relistens

R marks relistens

Today Is The Day - Sadness Will Prevail (R)
MIKE - Burning Desire
Yussef Dayes - Black Classical Music
The Cardigans - Life (R)
Ultravox - Ha! Ha! Ha!
NEU - NEU! '75 (R?)
King Tubby - Dub From the Roots

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2024 17:00
  • Post subject:

Wrong by NoMeansNo

I respect these canadians and this album. It caught me at the wrong time these last couple weeks and I only ever mildly enjoyed this brand of quasi-progressive rock leaning, jittery and spastic form of punk/hardcore. The musicians are good especially for punk. The songs don't really hit on any deeply moving theme or emotion that I vibe with - the pure rage of some punk or even the somewhat forlorn/almost intangible emptiness at the heart of life/ you know that sort of shit. The whole vibe seems a bit playful and ironic and can't really tell what the message or emotion is that's being expressed.

The Minutemen-esque bounciness and energy of the bass work and the guitar riffs is cool. Although, even with Minutemen I tire of that sound quick.

I saw a comment on the youtube stream of this that someone said this is the punk rock answer to Rush. Made me laugh and I think that weirdly works as an analogy - both are trios, both very intricate in their presentation of sound, etc.

Overall, I know this is a total classic and all. My general mood has been pretty damned disengaged and numb for awhile now. and this level of energy and irony and playfulness made me cringe more than anything else. I'm sure if i revisit this when I'm less deadened I will enjoy it.

Most music and art has been doing nothing for me lately. I'm like Lennon in "Yer Blues" - I even hate my rock n roll! I think the stuff I've been vibing with has mostly been Emmylou Harris' 1977 version of "Making Believe", and that ilk, along with the occasional smattering of nuts grindcore and really dense and almost indiscernible ulcerate/ad nauseam-style death metal.

--- --- ---- --- ---

@LedZep, some interesting ones there. Today is the Day would be the expected choice but actually I think I'll nominate for you Mitski's latest

The Land Is Inhospitable And So Are We by Mitski

--- --- ---- --- ---

Some broadly rock albums (plus Lafourcade) I want to listen to again and actually rate on here and RYM... Some never heard before I think but most I have heard but don't recall much or enough about them to rate I suppose.

1. De todas las flores by Natalia Lafourcade/2022
2. Pawn Hearts by Van der Graaf Generator/1971
3. In the Land of Grey and Pink by Caravan/1971
4. Consuming Impulse by Pestilence/1989
5. Liege and Lief by Fairport Convention/1969
6. This Nation's Saving Grace by The Fall/1985
7. Berlin by Lou Reed/1973
8. Imaginations From The Other Side by Blind Guardian/1995
9. El jardín de los presentes by Invisible/1976
10. Bath/Leaving Your Body Map by maudlin of the Well/2001

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Visit poster's website
EyeKanFly
Head Bear Master/Galactic Emperor

United States

• Posted: 01/18/2024 20:07
  • Post subject:

Elaenia by Floating Points
The only Floating Points I’ve heard so far is the collaboration with Pharoah Sanders and the London Symphony Orchestra (which is excellent and has a well-deserved slot in my top 100 of all time). I knew Floating Points was/is a producer/electronic artist, and knowing the collaboration project, I was expecting something jazzy while still being electronic, maybe like house music. What I got was something more like an instrumental Radiohead album, if only slightly jazzier. I’m sure it’s hard not to take some inspiration from Nigel Godrich in the world of music production. While I’m not sure that’s what Floating Points was going for, it’s a really cool synthesis of the Godrich style and electronic/house music.

Some good choices in there, let's go with:

De Todas Las Flores by Natalia Lafourcade

Acclaimed Music best "bubbling under" albums of the 2010s:
- Hell on Heels by Pistol Annies (2011)
- Public Strain by Women (2010)
- Quiet Signs by Jessica Pratt (2019)
- Hot Thoughts by Spoon (2017)
- More Than Any Other Day by Ought (2014)
- Angels & Devils by The Bug (2014)
- Oshin by DIIV (2012)
- Assume Form by James Blake (2019)
- Relatives in Descent by Protomartyr (2017)
- Hope Downs by Rolling Blackouts Coastal Fever (2018)
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 01/24/2024 14:53
  • Post subject:
(1)

The Land Is Inhospitable And So Are We by Mitski
I'm probably in the minority, but I loved her last 2 albums. Wonderful combination of indie and art pop. Be the Cowboy goes for the more indie approach, while Laurel Hell tries to emulate and modernize the synthpop and new wave sounds. Both are interesting in their own right, both are catchy and feature strong pop songwriting. Definitely her best 2. This Land is Inhospitable... is her folkiest record to date, and the least poppy since Bury Me At Makeout Creek, imo (will have to revisit that one at some point). Puberty definitely had some hints of the poppier style she was gonna adopt full time - this one does not feature any of that. It's just some cute, at times beautiful folk-adjacent tunes. And I'm all here for it. However, the songs themselves haven't grabbed me the way Cowboy and Laurel have. After 3 listens I'm still finding it hard to recognise individual tracks. The highlight is Bug Like An Angel, by far the best track here, but also Heaven and I Love Me After You. Fantastic vibez throughout will earn this one a place on my 2023 chart, but it's not among my fave Mitski releases. Also is there a backstory as to why My Love Mine All Mine became so popular? I'm not seeing anything special in this song tbh. 7.5/10

(2)
Try Angels & Devils, everything The Bug related is great and pretty unique.

(3)
R marks relistens

Today Is The Day - Sadness Will Prevail (R)
MIKE - Burning Desire
Blur - The Ballad of Darren
Monika Roscher Bigband - Witchy Activities and the Maple Death
The Cardigans - Life (R)
Ultravox - Ha! Ha! Ha!
NEU - NEU! '75 (R?)
The Moody Blues - Seventh Sojourn

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website