Studio LP Albums only in BEA chart?

Goto page Previous  123  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Studio LP Albums only in BEA chart?
Yes:
19%
 19%  [6]
No:
80%
 80%  [25]
Total Votes : 31

  • Quote
A compilation has to be very meaningful to me before I consider putting it on my chart. I fell out of love with greatest hits albums a few years ago, although a few still hold a special place.

When it comes to live albums, I have a few in my main chart. I think a live album can be as important of a document of where a band was in their career and life as any studio LP can be. Live After Death by Iron Maiden and The Who's Live At Leeds being a couple that I return to more often than the majority of those band's respective studio records.
_________________
Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
  • Quote
NOOOO! Compilations are great. I am not talking so much about "greatest hits" or "best ofs". But a compilation? As in an album of music taken from various sessions or times put together into a CD or a box set? That sometimes is the best thing in a discography. I'm not talking the best thing to introduce you to an artist, but legitimately the best album or set in a discography. Sometimes its the only thing you can get from an artist.

Obviously I am looking at this through the lens of my love for the blues. These are compilations (not best ofs particularly and certainl;y not greatest hits)


The Complete Blind Willie Johnson by Blind Willie Johnson


The Pious Bird Of Good Omen by Fleetwood Mac


Push Barman To Open Old Wounds by Belle And Sebastian


King Of The Delta Blues Singers by Robert Johnson


Be Here To Love Me by Townes Van Zandt


The Complete Imperial Recordings by Albert Collins


The Bootleg Series Vol. 10: Another Self Portrait (1969-1971) by Bob Dylan
(and almost all of the bootleg series qualifies, even the live compilation of the Rolling Thunder Revue


The First Four Years by Black Flag

etc etc...

and those are all some of the greatest or the greatest thing available for those artists.

So no I don't have a negative view of compilations and definitely not Live albums or compilations of live albums or live albums which essentially work as best ofs played live etc. They all are legit looks at the artist and present new looks at the artists.

Now, if I see something like the eagles greatest hits or even a best of from an artist I adore like if I see the Essential Bob Dylan, I may think "come on man!", but those are a different kind of compilation in my view.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:

Now, if I see something like the eagles greatest hits or even a best of from an artist I adore like if I see the Essential Bob Dylan, I may think "come on man!", but those are a different kind of compilation in my view.


Yeah, proper comps are totally cool. Various artists, rarities, tracks only previously released on 7", etc...

Unless previously unreleased in any format, I think comps fit a bit better in overall/custom charts compared to decade/year (I'm not putting a blues anthology in my Best of 2009 list, no more how good it is).

Currently the only comp in my top 100 is:


World Psychedelic Classics 5: Who Is William Onyeabor? by William Onyeabor

Which I feel just makes sense.

That Belle & Sebastian release mentioned above could easily slip into my top 50 though, it's one of my all-time favs.

EDIT: Technically Cross Paths is a comp, and that's also in my top 100.
_________________
Doubles & Conch
  • Quote
When I first saw the thread title, I got nervous. Thought BEA might be considering separating studio and live albums the way RYM did.

That's worse to me than separating original albums and compilations, but I'm against both.

My biggest argument against separating studio and live albums is that live albums only have a stigma in rock and some other pop genres. Many jazz buffs believe jazz is best experienced live. Practically all jazz studio albums are recorded live in the studio, so the distance between studio and live albums is much shorter.

My biggest single problem with excluding comps is that box sets are automatically considered comps on here, even when they're all completely unreleased material. Two of my favorite jazz albums are Miles' The Complete Cellar Door Sessions (the live sets most of Live-Evil is drawn from; the other sets are better than the ones used on Live-Evil) and his Live in Europe 1969: The Bootleg Series Vol. 2.

Also classic R&B and blues recordings before the late 60s weren't intended to be album experiences, so that puts classic R&B and Blues artists at a disadvantage on BEA, and the disadvantage would only be that much worse if comps were excluded. Of course, all recordings released before 1950 would be even more at a disadvantage than they already are. In my overall and decade charts, the only comps I allow (not counting those live Miles sets) are R&B and Blues. In my yearly charts I have a small number of rock comps.


Last edited by PurpleHazel on 04/24/2018 20:14; edited 2 times in total
  • Quote
Hayden wrote:
That Belle & Sebastian release mentioned above could easily slip into my top 50 though, it's one of my all-time favs.


I'd never count it as a single record, after buying the individual EPs when they came out...

My personal favourite compilation is this one - even if it is a bit bloated:


Oscillons From The Anti-Sun by Stereolab
_________________
http://distranscontinuum.blogspot.co.uk/
  • Quote
You can have whatever you want in your chart. And anyone who says otherwise is simply wrong, closed minded and misguided.
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
unless its a 4 track 19 minute ep
  • Quote
Tap wrote:
unless its a 4 track 19 minute ep


Well...yeah.

๐Ÿ˜
_________________
I'm leaning on the threshold
Of her mystery
And crashing through the walls
Of dying history
  • Quote
lol couldn't resist ๐Ÿ˜„

but yeah live albums are great, my number 1 is a live album (shh no one tell rym)
  • Quote
I definitely tend to prioritize studio albums, but I think compilations and live albums both have their place, and I have no problem using them, at least not in a limited fashion.

EP's are trickier. An EP can be fantastic, influential, not a weak moment....but they're by definition not an album. They occupy that weird space between album and single...though I've seen some, Pisces Iscariot and Incesticide come immediately to mind, that are as long or longer than many studio albums. It's a judgement call I guess, and it is your list after all, as Romanelli already pointed out.
_________________
My "completed" lists:
1970s, 1980s

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123  Next
Page 2 of 3


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: The BEA Games Hall Of Fame Guest Tournaments
Sticky: Chart talk Guest Music
Sort the Compilations from the Studio... dbone828 Suggestions
Rank Studio Albums by Sting, and The ... rkm Music
Complete discography "Studio alb... cartoken Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.