You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 280281282 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Iโ€™m no Pash, but Iโ€™ll do what I can. Lol
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:
Iโ€™m no Pash, but Iโ€™ll do what I can. Lol


Oops. Changed it.
  • Quote
1.


Crazy Like A Foxxx by Bumpy Knuckles

This runs over two hours, because it's not one but two shelved 90s albums from Freddie Foxxx / Bumpy Knuckles (whom I previously knew only for a Gang Starr feature). On disc one, we get the final version of Crazy Like A Foxxx from 1994. The beats are hard and pretty fresh, featuring some well-done Temptations and Isaac Hayes flips. Foxxx's rapping is technically strong throughout. His flows are great, he has a knack for vivid storytelling, and some of the song concepts and/or messages are pretty cool. We also get high-profile features from 2Pac and Chuck D. On the downside, there is a bunch of over the top depravity like on that Geto Boys album. Plentiful gore, a bunch of misogyny, and some homophobia. Perhaps these tracks explain why the label shelved it? However, the ratio of really good tracks to depraved tracks is high enough that the first disc remains listenable.

It's definitely a more worthwhile listen than disc two, which is a demo version from 1993 with rawer production courtesy of D.I.T.C. Five out of its twelve tracks appear in some form on the first disc, and seven are unique. And damn, the ratio is way worse. There are a lot more graphic, gory raps, plus some of the worst homophobia I've heard on a hip-hop track in "Man Destroys Man." If this release were just the first disc it might have gotten a 3/5 from me, but disc two really drags it down. Not worth 123 minutes of your time - it's a 2.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Haven't heard any of those, but this one intrigues me the most:


Incunabula by Autechre

~~~~~

3. Hip-Hop Medalists

1981 gold: Live Convention 81 - Various Artists
1982 silver: Live Convention 82 - Various Artists
1983 bronze: Players - Too $hort
1984 bronze: Fat Boys - Fat Boys
1985 silver: The Album - Mantronix
1989 bronze: No One Can Do It Better - The D.O.C.
2002 silver: Fantastic Damage - El-P
2003 gold: Bir Pesimistin GรถzyaลŸlarฤฑ - Sagopa Kajmer
2007 silver: Volume 9: Negative Thoughts - DJ Sound
2008 bronze: The Pink Lavalamp - Charles Hamilton
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote
1.


Bocanada by Gustavo Cerati

With an album such as this, one that has many songs, each with its own very distinct aspects and each polished to a fine sheen, I sometimes feel after even 2 or 3 listens I am not fully set up to give much thought outside of very vague thoughts like "I like it". But I'll try to describe what I like about this album with a few paragraphs (Cuz I really did like it a lot lot).

First off this is just a rock solid album! The vocals of Mr. Cerati are always powerful and sung with authority. He really kills it on each song. The songs are each uniquely good to great and each tackles sometimes very very different styles. The way the music can be epic and symphonic and mysterious on "Verbo Carne" and be downright groovy and badass on "Rio Babel" and be beautiful and sweet and brilliantly detailed on "Beautiful", then an instrumental electronic track like "Aquรญ & ahora (Y despuรฉs) - each with a very distinct sound yet all delivered and sung and performed with the same power is impressive.

I imagine if I spoke the language the lyrics would be cool to delve into. But as it is I have to do my best understanding every 20th word and understanding the emotion of the songs which is fine. Its no coincidence that I have no foreign language album on my overall chart. Something is lost when I can't understand the words. Note to self: learn the following languages asap: Japanese, Portuguese, Spanish, French and German (to start).

IDK i am definitely not describing the album well. There are some Art Pop touches (not to the degree I expected) there are some cool Art Rock songs and parts, there are cool horn sections and there are these cool drum parts that skip and groove and are just cool, there are pop rock tunes and epic symphonic sounding stuff, cool little synth parts, etc etc. Gustavo grabbed from his whole tool bag of sounds and influences when he made this epic album and I really like it a lot.

Okay, and one thing I just noticed as I listened a 3rd time while reviewing, is that this album absolutely gets better (for me) as the album progresses. Like I like the art rock and more pop songs early and there is a lot of variety, but right when I'm starting to lose a little interest I am hit with a murderer's row of bangers with tracks 10-13, (Y Si El Humo Estรก En Foco..., Paseo Inmoral, and the two Aqui &Ahora tracks). Holy shit.

fave songs are Y Si El Humo Estรก En Foco... (Just a fantastic electronic groove), Verbo Carne, Perdonar Es Divino, Beautiful, Rรญo Babel, (That middle section killed), Tabรบ (Great drum part and amazing opener), Paseo Inmoral (That beat may be a bit cliche but in the context of the album and song it absolutely rocks my socks off), Aquรญ & ahora (Y despuรฉs) (jesus christ this song is sooooooo fudgin coooooool!) and "Bocanada". (that's 9 of the 15 songs, so an astounding batting average indeed.)

Okay, and final thought, the cover is so goddamn cool. Gustavo is saying with that cover "I am a cool motherfucker and this is my album and come here and you'll be in good hands for the next hour." I don't know what exactly it is, its just badass. It's almost Prime-Dylan levels of badass cover (Blonde on Blonde is still king but this is a great one).

Okay and on that somewhat trivial note, this is a great one and I added it to my 1990s chart after3 listens. its great and its a 4/5 easily and maybe over time I'll move it to 4.5/5.

------------------------------------------
2.

Baystateoftheart, I nominate you listen to


No One Can Do It Better by The D.O.C.

------------------------

3.
Top albums designated with a primary genre "Art Pop" on RYM that I have never heard or haven't heard in awhile and don't remember much about.


1. ๅŠ ็ˆพๅŸบ ็ฒพๆถฒ ๆ —ใƒŽ่Šฑ (Kalk samen kuri no hana) by ๆคŽๅๆž—ๆชŽ [Sheena Ringo] (Completely new listen!)
2. The Idler Wheel Is Wiser Than the Driver of the Screw and Whipping Cords Will Serve You More Than Ropes Will Ever Do by Fiona Apple (Has been years very vague recollection)
3. Emperor Tomato Ketchup by Stereolab (Has been years very vague recollection)
4. ๅ‹่จดใ‚นใƒˆใƒชใƒƒใƒ— (Shลso strip) by ๆคŽๅๆž—ๆชŽ [Sheena Ringo] (Completely new listen!)
5. Revรฉs / Yosoy by Cafรฉ Tacvba (Completely new listen!)
6. Paris 1919 by John Cale (Has been years very vague recollection)
7. ๆ•‘ๆธˆใฎๆŠ€ๆณ• (Kyuusai no Gihou) by ๅนณๆฒข้€ฒ [Susumu Hirasawa] (Completely new listen!)
8. Kimono My House by Sparks (Has been years very vague recollection)
9. Anima latina by Lucio Battisti (Completely new listen!)
10. I Trawl the MEGAHERTZ by Paddy McAloon (Completely new listen!)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
(1)


So if you remembered that one point I mentioned from Bjork's debut album, this was the album I was referring to. An album that does sound a part of it's time but has hold up really well. Hell even for a debut, Autechre showed a consideration of making an album that might sound simple but is rich with details that if you are more of an instrumental listener this might be for you. There was a point earlier in November when Fast and Bulbous was starting the Autechre journey on his diary, I had a hankering for this. So I gave this a re listen a while ago. And I remember loving it even more than I used to, where I was gonna end up having this in my possible top 5 of their career. Or an easy third place for the 90's. Tri Repetae and Chiastic Slide will battle for silver and gold. Wonderful records.

With that you would think I would give this a 95. Well not quite. I can't put my finger as to why my enjoyment has dissipated a bit compared to my recent visit. My guess would probably be where the whole album have these old school ambient pads to see the total package. As well as some of these tracks could be trimmed down a little bit so the time span of the album doesn't feel lethargic. Though even with its length, it does go by. But most likely, it has to be an emotional level for me. Can't tell you what that may be, but it could play a huge role in my recent enjoyment.

Grade is still a 90 but could teether to an 85 or 95 depending on mood. Also for people who aren't crazy or want to wet their feet with electronic music, give this a listen.

(2)
Happy you enjoyed Bocanada Mercury. Now listen to Shoso Strip. Easily one of the best albums of 2000.

(3)
BEA: Top 100 of 1993
(32) Aerosmith-Get A Grip
(33) Crowded House-Together Alone
(34) Paul Weller-Wild Wood
(35) James-Laid
38 Sting-Ten Summoner's Tales
(41) Manic Street Preachers-Gold Against The Soul (Let's see if this is better than Morphine's album)
(43) The Boo Radleys-Giant Steps
(44) Primus-Pork Soda
(47) Kate Bush-The Red Shoes
48 Fugazi-In On The Kill Taker
  • Quote

Sconcerto by Il Baricentro

More Italian jazz fusion/prog that is pretty damn groovy. It has some slower tracks that lack a rhythm section that are pleasant, but not quite as exciting. This album is at best when it gets into a great groove, especially on the track "Afka" which sound like an outtake from Head Hunters.


Link


Luigii, I've been waiting to get your reaction to Primus. It's rated properly as their 3rd best on this site, but it still has some fun things to offer.

Emmanuelle Parrenin โ€Žโ€“ Maison Ros
Charalambides- Joy Shapes
Derrick Carter - The Many Shades of Cajual
Klimperei - Les Plus Belles Valses de Klimperei
Frank Garvey - Omnicircus
Jah Lloyd- Soldier Round the corner
Rimarimba : Chicago Death Excretion Geometry (one excretion for another I suppose)
The Gray Field Recordings- Hypnagogia
Fyre - I
Yonlu - A Society in Which No Tear Is Shed Is Inconceivably Mediocre
  • Quote
(1)


You know what Chief? This isn't my first album from Primus. This would be the second one. Earlier this year I tried the Brown album. And with that record, I wasn't as ecstatic for that one. Rating wise that was in the strong 6 to light 7 range. I also remembered trying to get into Sailing The Seas of Cheese but didn't have luck with that album. I felt like I had this odd feeling where I would admire Primus, but not love them like say Ween or Mr Bungle or recently with Jellyfish with oddball rock music. So I was expecting another record where I would admire and respect but not enjoyed.

And well, compared to the Brown Album, this was way better. I started to understand the appeal of Primus as well as getting adjusted to there style. Taking the groove metal of the 90's but making it quite avant garde where the songs don't feel like they are anchored by a full backing. That statement being probably my biggest complaint for this album as well as could be a double edge sword. Since the majority of this album has its groove and spunk. Shoutout to the MVP Hamburger Train. But there were other tracks where the groove would hit a certain chord and I end up enjoying it. I think the only other complaint I might have with this album would most likely be where some of Les Claypools vocals can be somewhat iffy compared to Mike Patton or both Dean and Gene Ween. But otherwise this was way better. Might have to revisit the Brown Album to see if my opinion has changed.

Grade:85 but more in that middle period of 80 and 85.

(2)
Chief listen to Frank Garvey

(3)
BEA: Top 100 of 1993
(32) Aerosmith-Get A Grip
(33) Crowded House-Together Alone
(34) Paul Weller-Wild Wood
(35) James-Laid
38 Sting-Ten Summoner's Tales
(41) Manic Street Preachers-Gold Against The Soul (Let's see if this is better than Morphine's album)
(43) The Boo Radleys-Giant Steps
(47) Kate Bush-The Red Shoes
48 Fugazi-In On The Kill Taker
(49) Archers of Loaf-Icky Mettle
  • Quote

Omnicircus by Frank Garvey

I've gotta say, I was not expecting to find this one on the database. Obscure musique concrete from an underground San Francisco artist (visual and musical) circa 1979. Apparently the "omnicircus" was his theater and art gallery where he put on shows and such. He also built performing robots. The music is OK, nothing that attention grabbing, but it fits the bill if you're looking for another thing like this.

Here's the old website of his art from the Wayback Machine. I quite like it.

https://web.archive.org/web/20070510072649/http://www.omnicircus.com/index2.html

Luigii, it's gotta be Fugazi, which you did not review well last time if I'm recalling correctly. This album may suit you more, but I'm not sure.

Emmanuelle Parrenin โ€Žโ€“ Maison Ros
Charalambides- Joy Shapes
Derrick Carter - The Many Shades of Cajual
Klimperei - Les Plus Belles Valses de Klimperei
Jah Lloyd- Soldier Round the corner
Rimarimba : Chicago Death Excretion Geometry (one excretion for another I suppose)
The Gray Field Recordings- Hypnagogia
Fyre - I
Yonlu - A Society in Which No Tear Is Shed Is Inconceivably Mediocre
Wicked Lady - Psychotic Overkill
  • Quote
(1)


You were right that I was somewhat indifferent towards there 2001 album The Argument. And I can't pin point why that was an issue. It has been at least over a year since I heard that album. But you were also right in the sense that I enjoyed this more than The Argument. I would say the riffs is the best part of this record. They are quite crunchy and can sink your teeth in. And there also cool stuff that occurs on that album. I want to say it was the fourth track where the intro reminded me of some video game music. Reminded of Earthbound when you stay in the hotel or could have fit in one of the Hylics games. But otherwise, while I did enjoy this more I wouldn't say this is my favorite thing ever. I think this falls in the category where this isn't in my usual aesthetic choice music wise. Or doesn't hit that certain maximal threshold where I feel like a project is quite complete for my liking. But this was a great project. And you enjoy punk music, give this a listen.

Grade:80 maybe an 85 but more of an 80

(2)
Chief listen to Joy Shapes

(3)
(32) Aerosmith-Get A Grip
(33) Crowded House-Together Alone
(34) Paul Weller-Wild Wood
(35) James-Laid
38 Sting-Ten Summoner's Tales
(41) Manic Street Preachers-Gold Against The Soul (Let's see if this is better than Morphine's album)
(43) The Boo Radleys-Giant Steps
(47) Kate Bush-The Red Shoes
(49) Archers of Loaf-Icky Mettle
(50) Orbital-Orbital 2 (R)

Also
Ranking Top 100 of 1993
2/5's of the way done.
  • Quote
1.


No One Can Do It Better by The D.O.C.

A full album of prime Dr. Dre production with lyrics that are straight-up hardcore hip-hop instead of gangsta rap? Yes please! The production is hard-hitting and well-made as expected, while The D.O.C.'s rapping makes a case for the album title (at least in 1989). The six bookend tracks in particular are hot fire. This isn't an airtight album - the skits and "Beautiful But Deadly" are disposable, so the record drags a bit in the middle. And the subject matter isn't exactly fresh, although unlike with N.W.A., it's never rancid either. But innovative concepts aren't required when The D.O.C.'s flows are in the pocket like this, and he delivers enough great bars to make this a great effort overall. This is my new favorite Dr. Dre-produced album. 4/5.

~~~~~

2. Here's the only one I've heard:


Orbital 2 by Orbital

~~~~~

3. Hip-Hop Medalists

1981 gold: Live Convention 81 - Various Artists
1982 silver: Live Convention 82 - Various Artists
1983 bronze: Players - Too $hort
1984 bronze: Fat Boys - Fat Boys
1985 silver: The Album - Mantronix
2002 silver: Fantastic Damage - El-P
2003 gold: Bir Pesimistin GรถzyaลŸlarฤฑ - Sagopa Kajmer
2007 silver: Volume 9: Negative Thoughts - DJ Sound
2008 bronze: The Pink Lavalamp - Charles Hamilton
2009 gold: The Hiram Clarke Hustler - Viper
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 280281282 ... 444445446  Next
Page 281 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.