Little Dominiques Nosebleed by The Koreatown Oddity
This was fantastic. Sonically it's jazzy, slightly abstract but also very much reminiscent of the 90s goodies with its lofi aesthetics, some boom bap beats etc. A perfect mix of old and new. I've paid some attention to the lyrics but not full-time. There's some very introspective lyricism dealing with faith, drugs, society etc. A lot of flashbacks to the time when he was a kid, often referencing a car crash accident he had. In equal parts humorous and serious, and excellent at both. As a rapper, he's reminiscent of several Hieroglyphics members imo, but I cannot pinpoint which one he sounds like the most.Solid 8.5/10
(2)
Chock full of great albums, but go with thrashy black metal of Immortal's finest album.
(3)
Leftovers list + some 2021
Lawrence - The Absence of Blight
John Talabot - Fin
Flamengo - Kuลe v hodinkรกch
Sadaf - History of Heat
Ataraxie - Slow Transcending Agony
Kauan - Sorni Nai
Beck - Modern Guilt
Rochelle Jordan - Play With the Changes
Smif-n-Wessun - Dah Shinin'
Ranking Dread - Ranking Dread In Dub _________________ Overall chart Fake overall chart
Wow. I never expected to love a U2 album, but here we are ..... the real difference-maker is the post-punk sound.
Based on that, may I suggest their debut? Have you tried it? It's their least U2-sounding album, ergo their best :wink: .
1.
R.A.P. Ferreira - Bob's Son: Rโ.โAโ...lops Hotel
Ok, first of all, what a title. Apart from being impressively animated as a standalone nominal sentence, you can spot some underlying messages with the Scallops reference as well. That being said, I'd rather not go down this rabbit hole and concentrate on the music instead. Milo is a well known name by now, this is the second release under his new alias, R.A.P. Ferreira. I had listened to the first one, Purple Moonlight Pages, multiple times when it came out about a year ago. Despite not being blown away by it, it was an interesting and challenging record at the very least, so I intended to keep an eye on his future attempts. The reason I didn't was that it happened to coincide with the tragic news of DOOM's passing, which was an awkward, painful to be precise, set of circumstances and I really wasn't in the mood for this. Now, he is far from a copycat and one has to admit that he draws inspiration from various artists, while adding his own personality to it, but if there's one thing his work -not necessarily as Milo, but for sure under this alias- instantly reminds you it's Madvillain, you can't deny his massive influence on R.A.P. Ferreira. You might argue this is a dumb reasoning, but it is what it is. Then, I somehow forgot about it. A good four months later, it was about time. So, what's going on here? Well, the production is far and away its biggest selling point. It is a fine and worthy successor of the underground/experimental style that gained momentum during the late 90's/ early 00's and has proved multiple times since then that it's here to stay. The trademark jazzy background isn't really a background here, it assumes just as much of a central role as rap does. The rapping is an acquired taste, not your everyday stuff, I can't say it's my thing either, there were moments he reminded me of some of Aesop Rock's annoying tendencies, who is of course a fantastic producer, no doubt about it, looking up to him and having him act as a creative awakening in that department is great and this album is a good enough proof of that (his influence on the production is instantly recognisable), but his rapping can leave a lot to be desired, as is the case with R.A.P. Ferreira. To be fair, I think there was a slight improvement in the year that intervened between the two albums, he was a bit more willing to shake things up in this one. Another factor that can be mildly off-putting are the spoken word parts. On general principle, there are many "conversational" rappers that I more than like, but I think this particular style doesn't fit that well with the direction of the production. For example, it can work much better in a hardcore environment, when the two can aspects can form a contrast and keep things lively and unpredictable, here it was a bit too much on the smooth/relaxed side. When it comes to lyrics, itโs the never ending debate: can good lyrics save a rapper who fails to deliver or simply suffers from lack of charisma? The answer is negative more often than not. Comparing it with his previous album, there is not much that separates them, it's more or less a second part. If anything, I'd say his newest album takes his jazz and spoken word antics (some people consider this word extremely negative, I don't mean it that way, more in the sense of being out of the norm) one step further.
2.
Edit:Apologies for the inconvenience, we posted almost simulatneously.
Anyway, Ataraxie seemed like a safe choice (for your standards), Smif โ n โ Wessun was the obvious choice (for my standards), but Iโm feeling adventurous, so Iโll nominate
Kauan - Sorni Nai
3.
2021 Chart by LedZep
1. Imperative Imperceptible Impulse - Ad Nauseam
2. Paradigmes - La Femme
3. A Common Turn - Anna B Savage
4. Entertainment, Death - The Spirit Of The Beehive
5. For Those I Love (2021) - For Those I Love
6. Death & The Magician - DJ Muggs & Rome Streetz
7. Mirrors - Pupil Slicer
8. As Days Get Dark - Arab Strap
9. Great Spans Of Muddy Time - William Doyle
10. Bright Green Field - Squid
So, I actually got this album finished yesterday. But didn't get to post about it since the listening was getting close to my sleep schedule. New day so I get to post about it. And man this is so good. The last time I listened to a film score that felt more connected to the mainstream in a radio sense was Black Panther. And while I do like that project as the biggest hits that came from it, I don't it really holds a big candle to this. Maybe it is because a lot of the disco that was usually decried from the inescapability of the genre. Especially not being alive for it even though genres like house and nu disco would take the mantle. Even if those genres will ever hit the highs of disco in its hay day. But I'm getting off track. This soundtrack while feels like a playlist, if definitely has a lot of variety and feels like it is telling a bit of a story. Though I can't tell you since I never watched the movie. I think the only cut that I wasn't feeling as much was a Fifth of Beethoven. Felt somewhat simple. Especially with Night on Disco Mountain had more liberties to remain its identity while feeling unique. But with the caveat that it feels a bit ridiculous. The rest are some of the best for disco music. The Bee Gee cuts are still enjoyable after all these years. And the other deep cuts just work. Yeah, this was enjoyable. Grade:95
(2)
kokkinos, listen to Squid.
(3)
BEA's Top 100 of 1977
(19) Meatloaf-Bat Out Of Hell (R)
(24) Queen-News Of The World
(26) AC/DC-Let There Be Rock
(27) Ramones-Leave Home
28 Yes-Going For The One
(29) Peter Gabriel-Self Titled "Car"
(30) Supertramp-Even In The Quietist Moments...
(32) The Alan Parsons Project-I Robot
(33) The Stranglers-Stranglers IV (Rattus Norvegicus)
(34) The Damned-Damned,Damned,Damned
Liked this a lot more than I thought I would. I like their debut as much as the next guy, but I was less than impressed with every other King Crimson album I had listened to. Until now. This is definitely my second favorite KC album. I listened to a "deluxe" version that included a few studio outtakes, and wow KC really know how to jam and improvise off of each other. I originally wasn't going to go through all the outtakes and just stop listening when the main album ended, but that little extra sorta drew me in, it was really pleasant. David Cross' violin and viola really shine, easily the highlight of the album.
(2)
Paradigmes by La Femme is my AOTY so far, so I'd say go with that. EDIT: Oops, looks like I took to long to post and got hopped. (kokkinos you should also listen to La Femme though ๐ )
Luigii: it's gotta be Bat Out of Hell. I love that album and all its cheesy Springsteen-parody goodness.
(3)
RYM overall chart (minus archival releases)
- Swans Are Dead by Swans (live)
- Live After Death by Iron Maiden (live)
- Soundtrack from Twin Peaks by Angelo Badalamenti (soundtrack)
- Live Rust by Neil Young & Crazy Horse (live)
- Unleashed in the East: Live in Japan by Judas Priest (live)
- Roseland NYC Live by Portishead (live)
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett (live)
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher (live)
- It's Alive by Ramones (live)
- The Long Goodbye: LCD Soundsystem Live at Madison Square Garden by LCD Soundsystem (live) _________________ 51 Washington, D.C. albums!
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Sheer Heart Attack is the second Queen album I've listened to, and the second pleasant surprise. Like LedZep said, this has a lot of good songs, even though it's not the most consistent (although side a is consistent, with the only real duds on side b). The vocal interplay is a strength of theirs, and the touches of prog among the glam rock keep things interesting musically. And as might be expected, Freddie Mercury is quite the charismatic frontman here. Hard to pick a favorite song, and I don't like this one quite as much as follow-up A Night At The Opera, but it is a very good album and a fun listen. 3.5/5.
~~~~~
2. Love this album. My second favorite Portishead after Dummy:
N: How Does That Grab You? - Nancy Sinatra
O: Satanic Panic In The Attic - of Montreal
P: The Comforts Of Madness - Pale Saints
Q: Lullabies To Paralyze - Queens Of The Stone Age
R: Pet Grief - The Radio Dept.
S: So Tough - Saint Etienne
T: The Colour Of Spring - Talk Talk
U: The Flesh Of The World (EP) - Uboa
V: L'apocalypse Des Animaux - Vangelis
W: Night Dreamer - Wayne Shorter _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
This is a black metal album with lots of melodically rich and badass thrash my riffs and some cool solos and generally all of these songs are basically a series of dope guitar parts and a pretty consistent flow. Very accessible brand of black metal without being overtly so. Like it still has the weird vocals and some more extreme black metal aesthetic choices, but also there is a very approachable charm on Display here. Any metal or even hard rock fan probably will find some really tasty nuggets in this mix.
The songs are consistent, and the album flows, the only critiques I have arenโt really major ones - also they are quite vague and unhelpful. Those are: I am not a fan of the vocals. Kinda meh. Next one is I guess I just prefer my BM to be draped in atmosphere or more indecipherable. And if itโs not atmospheric or gauzy or draped in fog I like it massively symphonic. And if neither of those I want it to fucking rock. This has the last characteristic but not the first 2.
And the last critique is so stupid, and itโs 100% on me, but I didnโt quite vibe with this album. Like it may have something to do with my poopy day or mild headache, but in my 2 listens (it deserves more and will get them at some point) it never went from โwow, this is pretty coolโ to โHoly shit, let me stop what Iโm doing to soak in this absolute beast or a record!โ
Okay thatโs all. Computer acting weird so I typed this on my phone. Thumbs are sore. Probably more typos even then usual. Apologies for that.
-------------------------
2.
@Baystateoftheart, only one there that I am very familiar with is talk talk so:
RYM metal of any kind since 1996 to now. Excluding neurosis, Death and Morbid Angel as I am doing deep dives on them. Only one album per artist on this list of ten at any time. If you elect Opeth, immolation, or Isis they will instantly be replaced by another album by them - they are very much loved artists it seems. Anyway, here are the top ones Iโve not heard or yet rated on RYM.
1. Still Life by Opeth/1999/#6 metal album since '96 (Yes Opeth's Time out has ended --yay! I have grown a little on Blackwater Park and this is same era and just a little earlier in their discog. Note: there are another 2 after this one waiting on the list excluded only due to one album rule lol. the love for this band is wild.)
2. Panopticon by Isis/2004/#17 metal album since '96 (Atmospheric sludge and post-metal designation tend to scare me off due to not yet finding an album I really liked in or loved in that mix. Remember listening to this and being a bit bored. Will try again.)
3. Close to a World Below by Immolation/2000/#18 metal album since '96 (okay, now that a spot has freed up, this brand new listen of this classic DM album is now a possible Nom)
4. Crack the Skye by Mastodon/2009/#19 metal album since '96 (for the love of fucking god don't make me confront this album again! ๐ )
5. Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower/2005/#20 metal album since '96 (really like to near-love their early stuff, never heard this latter-career peak album)
6. Paracletus by Deathspell Omega/2010/#32 metal album since '96 (Finally, the first album included from 2010 onward. This is a very respected name, this band, and a band I have never pushed play on. Black metal of a modern sort? sign me up!)
7. Paysage d'Hiver by Paysage d'Hiver/1999/#35 metal album since '96 (I read this is as close anyone has come to managing to create the same dreary wintery atmosphere of Burzum. Not sure if true, but I'm interested in checking out this classic black metal album for sure.)
8. City by Strapping Young Lad/1997/#37 metal album since '96 (This is an album and band that has been on my radar since I was a 12 year old reading about them in a metal mag. Industrial metal. Like Devin Townsend so maybe I'll like this.)
9. Diabolical Conquest by Incantation/1998/#39 metal album since โ96 (ledzep says theyโre great or at least recommended them for my 90s artist listening project and they are much loved death metal and Iโm game.)
10. Black Future by Vektor/2009/#40 metal album since โ96 (have heard it and barely was paying attention when I heard it. Kinda remember thinking it was really cool. This is Some of the most revered thrash ever or at least since 1996 and post the glory days of thrash. So sounds dope and feel a landmark album such as this should be given more attention by me).
i find it funny my obsessive need to add comments and factoids to my lists until they look like that ^ lol _________________ -Ryan
This was great. To preface, my favorite Portishead album is Third, and this live set was recorded after their first 2 albums, so none of my favorite tracks from Third had been written yet.
Roseland NYC Live is nearly a perfect live set. Some of Portishead's best tracks excel here, and they're often even better than their studio versions: "All Mine", "Mysterons", "Glory Box", and "Sour Times" are my favorite tracks from the first 2 albums, and they're all great here. Mysterons and Sour Times are even better than their studio versions, and All Mine and Glory Box come quite close. This is the best album I've heard so far out of the ones I've listened to through picks on this thread so far.
4.5/5
(2)
@Mercury listen to Paysage d'Hiver. Personally their s/t album (mixtape? It's not an official release but I'm not really sure what to call it. For all intents and purposes it's an album though) doesn't seem as good compared to their later releases Das Tor or last year's Im Wald (their first official release). I'm not sure the Burzum comparison is apt since they've been making music for around the same length of time as each other. That said, Paysage d'Hiver have albums with a more electronic sound and I don't think they get quite as intense as Burzum. I'll let you make that judgment for yourself though. And I do recommend listening to Im Wald as well if you haven't yet.
(3)
RYM overall chart (minus archival releases)
- Swans Are Dead by Swans (live)
- Live After Death by Iron Maiden (live)
- Soundtrack from Twin Peaks by Angelo Badalamenti (soundtrack)
- Live Rust by Neil Young & Crazy Horse (live)
- Unleashed in the East: Live in Japan by Judas Priest (live)
- Sun Bear Concerts Piano Solo: Recorded in Japan by Keith Jarrett (live)
- Irish Tour '74 by Rory Gallagher (live)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- It's Alive by Ramones (live)
- The Long Goodbye: LCD Soundsystem Live at Madison Square Garden by LCD Soundsystem (live) _________________ 51 Washington, D.C. albums!
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
Despite a significant stylistic difference from their post-rock albums, this leaves me feeling much the same way. The production is very impressive and the music is beautiful, but the songs themselves leave me with no real connection to the music. That's not to say that all great music is built on great songs (I love plenty of ambient and improvisational works), but rather that Talk Talk in particular slides by without a firm sonic foothold for me to grasp. It's still high-quality music though. I took a springtime walk in the woods while listening, and unsurprisingly, that fit well. Side note: I'd say that RYM has the genre wrong here; it mostly sounds like sophisti-pop to me. Anyway, The Colour Of Spring is well-made and makes for quite a fine listen, and I hope the songs will click more with future listening. 3.5/5.
~~~~~
2. I haven't watched the show, but this is great as a standalone soundtrack:
N: How Does That Grab You? - Nancy Sinatra
O: Satanic Panic In The Attic - of Montreal
P: The Comforts Of Madness - Pale Saints
Q: Lullabies To Paralyze - Queens Of The Stone Age
R: Pet Grief - The Radio Dept.
S: So Tough - Saint Etienne
T: Speaking In Tongues - Talking Heads
U: The Flesh Of The World (EP) - Uboa
V: L'apocalypse Des Animaux - Vangelis
W: Night Dreamer - Wayne Shorter _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
This is cool in theory. But I couldn't get into how wildly noisy it is. The atmosphere is quite intense. The melodies sometimes are cool. The vocals are alright. The dark ambient bits are pretty cool and the way the recording seems to be disintegrating is a cool production, lo-fi concept and its generally something I can see the virtues in. Still, the 2 listens I had for this album were spent, for long stretches, just kind of waiting for it to end because its too noisy. ill check out Im Wald from 2020 at some point. This is my first intro to this artist and it may seem like not a great intro, but no I think it is. I get what is being executed and I respect it, not really for me at this time.
RYM metal of any kind since 1996 to now. Excluding neurosis, Death and Morbid Angel as I am doing deep dives on them. Only one album per artist on this list of ten at any time. If you elect Opeth, immolation, or Isis they will instantly be replaced by another album by them - they are very much loved artists it seems. Anyway, here are the top ones Iโve not heard or yet rated on RYM.
1. Still Life by Opeth/1999/RYM #23 metal album of all time (Yes Opeth's Time out has ended --yay! I have grown a little on Blackwater Park and this is same era and just a little earlier in their discog. Note: there are another 2 after this one waiting on the list excluded only due to one album rule lol. the love for this band is wild.)
2. Close to a World Below by Immolation/2000/RYM #41 metal album of all time (okay, now that a spot has freed up, this brand new listen of this classic DM album is now a possible Nom)
3. Panopticon by Isis/2004/RYM #42 metal album of all time (Atmospheric sludge and post-metal designation tend to scare me off due to not yet finding an album I really liked in or loved in that mix. Remember listening to this and being a bit bored. Will try again.)
4. Crack the Skye by Mastodon/2009/RYM #43 metal album since '96 (for the love of fucking god don't make me confront this album again! ๐ )
5. Those Once Loyal by Bolt Thrower/2005/RYM #51 metal album of all time (really like to near-love their early stuff, never heard this latter-career peak album)
6. Paracletus by Deathspell Omega/2010/#RYM 102 metal album of all time (Finally, the first album included from 2010 onward. This is a very respected name, this band, and a band I have never pushed play on. Black metal of a modern sort? sign me up!)
7. City by Strapping Young Lad/1997/RYM #111 metal album of all time (This is an album and band that has been on my radar since I was a 12 year old reading about them in a metal mag. Industrial metal. Like Devin Townsend so maybe I'll like this.)
8. Diabolical Conquest by Incantation/1998/RYM #117 metal album of all time (ledzep says theyโre great or at least recommended them for my 90s artist listening project and they are much loved death metal and Iโm game.)
9. Black Future by Vektor/2009/RYM #119 metal album of all time (have heard it and barely was paying attention when I heard it. Kinda remember thinking it was really cool. This is Some of the most revered thrash ever or at least since 1996 and post the glory days of thrash. So sounds dope and feel a landmark album such as this should be given more attention by me).
10. Bath + Leaving Your Body Map by Maudlin of the Well/2000/RYM #161 + #128 metal albums of all time respectively (Pick either of these 2 albums released on the same day and I will listen to both. Heard Bath once and it was a brilliantly strangeavant garde/meets a lot of other stuff/ - kinda beyond genre - metal album.)
i find it funny my obsessive need to add comments and factoids to my lists until they look like that ^ lol _________________ -Ryan
1.
Squid - Bright Green Field
Ok, I knew this would get instantly picked as soon as I added it to the list, but I was curious to try it, the hype is real โ and has been like this since Narrator came out. I wouldn't call it experimental, it's just that it draws influences from various sources which makes it appear more adventurous than it actually is, while the instrumentation being far from standard reinforces that impression. The main attraction is clearly its energy, there's tons of it, it's never standing still, always evolving. Expanding on that observation, there's one thing that I really liked here and, as I wrote back then, stopped me from enjoying Black Country New Road - For The First Time. even more. They both have many ideas that they are eager to put on display, but in this case it never feels rushed or premature, they are not afraid to extend the running time, go for some long-ish tracks and take their time, allowing each of their concepts to be fully developed before moving on to the next. The biggest let down is obviously the vocals, somebody give the man a glass of water or keep him busy in whichever manner, what is this? There are vocals you like, vocals you donโt care about but still can enjoy the music and vocals that simply annoy you too much, this is dangerously close to the third category. Another thing I 'd like to see - hear rather - is loosening up a bit. The album does take many twists and turns, but it always feels calculated, restrained even, like there's a method to their madness. When it comes to standout tracks, it has to be Narrator, it initially seems that it isn't going anywhere and then just explodes and everything makes sense all of a sudden, not to mention it can't be a coincidence that it's the one track where a guest is featured in the vocals department, you can see what a difference it can make. The first half was stronger in general, G.S.K. being the epitome of funky/groovy and Boy Racers exploring some ambient territory, there's something for everyone. In regard to the discussion taking place in the โ2021 Musicโ topic, I would say this is better than Drunk Tank Pink (but then again, everything is better than Drunk Tank Pink ๐ ) and about equal to the rest of the post-punk albums that made some noise (those would be For The First Time, New Long Leg, Wasteland: What Ails Our People Is Clear, Welfare Jazz).
2.
For real, how slow am I? I had a cool rec ready for baystateoftheheart, but it will have to wait for another time.
Shockingly enough, there is one album on this list that I've listened and found decent, I would even call it great were it not for my eternal problem with metal - the vocals.
I nominate
Isis - Panopticon
3.
2021 Chart by LedZep
1. Imperative Imperceptible Impulse - Ad Nauseam
2. Paradigmes - La Femme
3. A Common Turn - Anna B Savage
4. Entertainment, Death - The Spirit Of The Beehive
5. For Those I Love (2021) - For Those I Love
6. Death & The Magician - DJ Muggs & Rome Streetz
7. Mirrors - Pupil Slicer
8. As Days Get Dark - Arab Strap
9. Great Spans Of Muddy Time - William Doyle
10. The Thule Grimoires - The Ruins Of Beverast
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum