My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  123 ... 119120121 ... 193194195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
These are the two albums I chose for 2013:

An album I already know/own:

Last Night On Earth by Lee Ranaldo And The Dust
Two of Sonic Youth's members released solo albums within the year. And first came Lee Ranaldo with a fantastic album. It's not rally a solo album because he surrounded himself with a band but you know what I mean. And it also features one fantastic song Lecce, Leaving which rambles on like any of the best SY releases. Also Home Chds, The Rising Tide and Ambulancer are great so there is enough to enjoy here and this album remains firmly at the 3rd rank of the year.

An album on my wishlist:

Floating Coffin by Thee Oh Sees
Not their best albums and sometimes I get tired of the manierisms (those little shouts and those fairground noises) this subgenre of psych seems to need. All in all an ok album but not much more entering at the 23rd rank.
  • Quote
And here comes 2014 with two albums:

One I already own/know:

The Best Day by Thurston Moore
Best work of Lee Ranaldo in 2013 and best work of Thurston Moore in 2014. This album has it all: the SY like tracks like Detonation and the long droney but still very diverse songs like Speak To The Wild he excells in. A fantastic album which still deserves its first rank of the year.

One on my wishlist:

Phantom Radio by Mark Lanegan Band
Time to pay a bit of a hommage to Mark Lanegan who passed away recently by listening to one of his albums I had listened to yet. This is a fairly peculiar specimen as Lanegan and his band go electronic. But luckily his voice remains intact and where the electronic takes an a doomy atmosphere like some bands in the eighties you might know it works well. But in all in all a mixed bag which however makes it to my year chart because the songs, the voice and some of the atmosphere are still there. And the 5 bonus tracks here also deserve their place. All in all good for the 42nd rank of the year.
  • Quote
And then there's 2015:

with an album I already know/own:

Signs From The Lighthouse by Mad Dog Loose
I anybody of you is interested in Belgian weird but ingenious music then don't miss out on their first album Material Sunset. But this second album isn't nearly as good as that very good first one. It still features some quirky songs but without the genius. But still ok but goes from the 42nd to 51st rank of the year.

And an album on my wishlist:


Dying Surfer Meets His Maker by All Them Witches
The more album I hear of them the more I realise that their name doesn't really cover what they do: fairly drony hardrock/postrock but with a distinct link with inventive lyricism. Not everything here is perfect but this is still a very good one ending up at the 46th rank of the year.
  • Quote
These are my two picks of 2016 albums:

An album I already know/own:

Pyjama Days by Bent Van Looy
A simple and good Beatle-esque album from this Belgian artist and it goes from the 32nd to the 30th rank on my year chart.

An album on my wishlist:

The Stage by Avenged Sevenfold
An ambitious album of A7X and it also contains some heavy riffing but somehow this album doesn't appeal to me. There are some tracks which are not bad but somehow they overdue their ambitious effort so I won't include this album in my year chart.
  • Quote
To end this eighth round, these are my two picks for albums of 2017:

First an album I already own/know:

Near To The Wild Heart Of Life by Japandroids
Punk but not really punk anymore. Shall we just call it a good rock album which goes from the 84th to the 85th rank in my year chart of 2017.

Then an album on my wishlist:

Damage And Joy by The Jesus And Mary Chain
Many would say this latter album of this legendary band was unnecessary and I must admit I also overlooked them at the time. But boy, this album is good. Of course it's no Psychocandy and even no Honey's Dead, and it's certainly nothing really new, but this album is as good as many as their other ones. The Deluxe version I'm listening to features two version of The Two Of Us and Black And Blues, both by Sky Ferreira and Isobel Campbell and all these versions really shine. So very much alright for the 33rd rank of the year.
  • Quote
This is round 9 of this thing where I go from year to year with for each of these years I choose an album I already own but haven't listened to in a long time and also one of the still many albums on my wishlist.

So first an album of 1968 I already own:

Astral Weeks by Van Morrison
Again an album that begs to be revisited because it's ranked way too low on my year chart. And what an album this is. It's got that special atmosphere which make it rise above many of its peers not in the least because of the addition of some special instruments. The songs might be a bit too long but that just helps it create the hupnotic atmosphere. The two absolute highlights here are Madame George and Ballerina but there's so much more. And of course this album goes from a low 21st rank to a high 4th rank.

Then an album on my wishlist:

The Twain Shall Meet by Eric Burdon & The Animals
This is also an album with a special hypnotic atmosphere and here it's helped by the addition of Indian instruments. But what a difference with the previous one. However much I like Eric Burdon and the Animals this album is just utterly boring and not even close to being a candidate for my year chart.
  • Quote
These are the two albums I chose to listen to from 1969:

An album I already own:

The Soft Parade by The Doors
This is by no means the best Doors album as, apart from Touch me it doesn't contain any of their infamous hits and the long title track is nowhere near to those other long tracks like The End or LA Woman or Soul Kitchen etc. It's still the Doors so I certainly like it and it goes from the 36th to the 15th rank but that's still low for a Doors album.

An album on my wishlist:

Breathe Awhile by Arcadium
This album took me by surprise. I expected it to be overlong, too prog, bad sound quality, bad singer, bad songs. At least these were some comments I read about it. But no. The songs might be long but they take you somewhere and that mostly means that you get into the druggy psychedelic atmosphere. I also very much like the guitar sound and in general this album has nothing to do with Yes or ELP just because of the fact that it sounds kinda dirty in which the way this album has been produced really helps. And I just liked all the tracks, there is no filler. So it immediately goes to the 9th rank of the year.
  • Quote
And two 1970 albums:

One I already own:

Led Zeppelin III by Led Zeppelin
So of their best tracks are here and there's enough of them: The Immigrant Song, Celebration Day, Since I've Been Lovin' You, Gallows Pole aso. At the end however Bron-Yr-Aur and Hats Off To (Roy) Harper are a few misses. Still a fairly classic LZ album which moves from the 5th to 4th rank on my 1970 year chart.

And an album on my wishlist:

Home by Procol Harum
An album a bit hidden between the more classic albums just before and after it and it's also a bit more guitar centered with thx to Robin Trower. Some say it devaluates the PH sound but for me it's an asset. It just enhances a track like Piggy Pig Pig and Whisky Train doesn't really sound like Procol Harum any more but it's a very good blues stomper. I'm not sure about the long proggy Whaling Stories yet. Somehow it sounds like their other classics but on the other hand it sounds a bit unfocused but I'm sure this will improve when I listen to it more because this is really the first time I hear it. And the most important quality of the band remains the great voice of Gary Brooker so overall a good album with fits easily on the 14th rank of the year.
  • Quote
And already my 2 choices for 1971:

An album I already own:

America by America
America has three classic tracks: Horse with no Name, I Need You and Ventura Highway and the first two appear on this album so that's already a lot of good points. The other tracks are good but there's nothing spectacular and in any case better than I first scored them. So that should be enough to move this album from the 33rd to the 11th rank.

An album on my wishlist:

Teenage Head by The Flamin' Groovies
I'm not really familiar with the band but the comments are correct that they sound a lot like the Stones on this album. must say I don't really connect with the blues/rockabilly tracks here because they don't add anything new. But I did like the upto tracks like Have You Seen My Baby?, Yesterday's Numbers, the title track and Whiskey Woman. So a bit of a mixed bag but deserves to be in my top chart of the year at the 26th rank.
  • Quote
Just one other album of 1971 on my wishlist:



Seven Tears by Golden Earring
An album centered around the long and great psychedelic She Flies On Strange Wings with its eery guitar solos. For the rest an ok guitar album but nothing more and ok for the 28th rank.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 119120121 ... 193194195  Next
Page 120 of 195


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
Favorite BEA discoveries, all time Listmeister Music
A board for your recent discoveries Spyglass Music
Radio killed the Video star (favorite... RoundTheBend Music
Best song per album by your favorite ... Listmeister Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.