Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 05/12/2017 20:40
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:

Thanks for the in depth response tilly, really makes my heart warm that even with our different perspectives we can still have a sweet discussion, will be looking forward on handing you more mellow records

ps: I really, really don't like closer, I think It's a really weak effort, I know, crucify me

Oops! d'oh! For some reason, I thought you were this HUGE Joy Division fan. Laughing

Yeah, if you "really, really don't like Closer" you were not going to like this. Why did I rec this to AP, Veronica, oh dream girl you?

Link

Oh yeah. that's it!
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro
Subspace Highway Traveler

Brazil

• Posted: 05/13/2017 16:22
  • Post subject:
Oh I see what you did here tilly... I see haha

While i really don't like closer the way it is, I really have a deep love for Unknown pleasures and Substance, both have been in my chart once, closer feels totally off from their catalogue and I can't quite capture the feeling it's trying to convey. I'm a little fan of JD if so u.u

Keep me reccing stuff though. I love your recs, mellowy nighty stuff is pretty good for my belly.
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 05/16/2017 01:33
  • Post subject:
15/05

Lift Your Skinny Fists Like Antennas To...ck Emperor

One hour and a half, 4 songs. How do I dare analyze milimetrically something as big as this? Should I feel complete by the whole thing or dissecting the record into songs would be the most rational thing to do? and why the hell do I keep asking myself these questions if I know there will be no answers during this write-up? It's all a big mystery. I'm Fairly new into the post-rock genre, as I am in various genres (yeah yeah I grew up listening to indie white bands) So understand the essentials from it is a big step towards diving deeper into the musical style of this album and possibly finding similar records. and since post-rock evolves into different types of eras and styles inside itself, LYSFLATH was a good introduction to what is called the third wave (Hell, how does these guys divide the spot with bands like Sigur Rós and Talk Talk I will never get, I'm not the creator of the genres so whatever). I feel like the apocalyptic atmosphere from this record is so overused as its final description that is almost impossible to escape from it, that's mainly because the whole record sweats a tense and hostile tone, it feels hopeless and fragile when it drowns from the climax into the atmospheric buildup or bridge. I remember reading about the R.E.M (not the band, but a part of the process of sleeping) that is the moment that our body is so immerse into the dreaming experience that our brain blocks every single moment of our body, so we avoid hurting ourselves during the sleep. But as it's probably a defense mechanism to our body, it can be a devil like machine to conduce awful experiences, like having a nightmare and being aware of it, and being trapped without having any chance to escape, in the end there is no other exit than accepting its horror, and that's what I felt like while listening to this record.

It's not my first listen, it has happened in two years ago, but since then, I never put it to spin again, maybe because it doesn't hold that much replaying valour, and to be quite honest I was a little bit worried that the magic that it brought to me in the first listen would worn off in a rushed second listen, so what better plan than waiting until your brain forgets major details from the record so you can almost discover every song like the first time? Congrats on cheating on the fucking game Antonio. But seriously, as the first listen had all that fantastic and melancholic emotion spilling through me, in me revisit I could enjoy more the composition details, the magnificent build up on "Storm" still sends those shivers in my spine like yesterday, but besides those singular moments, I didn't feel quite emotionally devoured from this record. Now I know that you're probably still wondering about the damn REM thing, and why the hell did I cut it from its explanation into y personal notes, and that's because even after all this time, I still feel kinda intimidated and suspenseful when I heard it, It is still agonizing and hypnotic as it was before, it still blocks you from moving outside of it, The whole record locks you into its intern landscape, the entire instrumentation is fantastic, it feels big, as an ancient greek monument, that makes me feel small and weak, like looking to a human in an ant's perspective, do I have a chance against this big and destroyed world around me? the symphony that carries this record on its back is so immense and dense that takes the listener into its own wave and annihilates him into pieces. Now that's what makes a record beautiful to me, if the great tragedy was translated into notes it wouldn't sound as magnificent as this is, it is truly one of the most intriguing and wonderful stuff that has crossed my path until this moment, and hell I was lucky to understand how it worked soon. It's weird to feel pleasure on being miserable and hopeless.
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 05/25/2017 02:02
  • Post subject:
24/05
Some shit stuff I wrote about this gloomy record in the bus and in the break from uni. Also looking up for Reccomendations like this album, it would be lovely if you could send a shopping record store letter on a bottle overseas for me ^-^

Dragging A Dead Deer Up A Hill by Grouper
"Wow, This album reminds me a lot of Brandon, brings me back some good memories of our, almost combined older posts. So here is a little backstory about this light-as-a-leaf-hearted soul named brandon, when I first joined BEA back in the end of the sun season of 2013, I was a really immature kid who had almost none experience with the giant and dangerous world of the internet. As in the first weeks adapting myself to the forums, I met this young fellow named Brandon which musical taste was really flamboyant and poignant, their posts were really full of a childish and funny touch, as if it popped out froma moment of euphoria a bloomed from their mind like a strawberry pops out from a tree (as a remark, it doesn't and that's the point). Involving myself with brandon, I found their chart to be something magnificent and worth all my love, it was a rainbow colored magical wonderland, full of glimpses of wonder and smiles, even with darker records like this one, and it was also really influential to yours truly at the point of being inspired to write notes based on Brandon's chart, seeming like to come out from the mind of a kindergartner lollipop smelling little girl. So what does this have to do with grouper and most specifically this album? Well, at first when I heard this record 4 years ago,there seemed to be no redeeming factor that would make it live to its own popularity it had on RYM and this site, all the dream layered atmosphere along with the foggy wall of sound bothered me to the point of feeling bored throughout the record, it was something very sparse and incoherent, like the lost parts of a diary in which I don't really know where it was supposed to start and end, as if anything that I listened by the time had, obligatory, a reasonable reason to work and had to be constructed following a simple order of objectivity. As I grew up on the site and brandon mostly, I found myself detaching from the objective point of the record and mostly enjoying the subjective experiences I had while it played with me, the night became a big friend of mine, creating the perfect landscape for albums like this one, they taught me that you didn't need to be sitting on a chair inside your bedroom or inside your office as a place to get your neutral thoughts about a determined song, or piece of music, but what was important is that I could erase myself from the real life, and drown myself in the outside world, creating visual-like experiences with music. And so on, I began to lay down on my garden and shoot my eyes to the stars, to the moon, and to the cold forest that surrounds my house, imagining what animals live in there, what must be like there between the trees and the fog. When I listened to Dragging a dead dear up a hill once again today, I found myself in love with it, because not only Harris knew how to fulfill my inner joy cup with her music, but she also transformed my dawn into a bright and dreamy place, even that for some few moments, I could be drowned in what happens in the world outside of my window, as if a coffee shade of yellow and black was burning inside my mind and transporting this innocent soul outside of its common ecosystem and attracting it to a fantastic dreamland where this goddess draws it clouds with its guitar and loses herself inside the fog, it's a heavenly place I love to lose myself in. Thanks for showing me this secret place you crazy diamond."
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 09/06/2017 18:02
  • Post subject:
06/09

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN KIDO, HAS A SPIDER BIT YOU OR ANYTHING?"

Probably not asked over BEA since I don't feel like my ausence was indeed missed (not that this is a bad or good thing), just making a little notebloke report so I can keep you updated with the newest info that has been circulating my solar system.
Well first my old computer has broken down since it power cable stopped miracously working (probably some rat or some wild animal that lives around my beautiful south hemisphere city), and since then I have listened to less and less music and getting more interested with F1. Yeah the sport that people drive super fast cars and mercedes almost always wins all races, but this season has been quite a curious box of surprises, and since I began catching up to this season I've been growing more and more in love with the motorsport, it's just so interesting to dive in the history. Also, my med classes have began last month and I've been so busy that I almost don't even have time to breathe fresh air all day, jesus who would have known that life would be so worried and tiring, definetively got me exhausted in just some few weeks, and so, I don't really feel like spending my time surfing between the webs of the internets (massive heads up for the lads at the Gay Communist anime discord that have kept me working on the single ladies iniciative you are ze best <3 emma,luke,jamo,charlie mainly). But since I have began working with this new computer I got borrowed from a third grade uncle I have been able to connect and spend my night with the soundtrack and backgroudn that I like, hopefuly life will be less tiring and exhaustivity will be less painful, life is good and looking bright ahead.

Miss you all, will be sure to post more frequently on the future xoxo
Antonio Momonio
Jimmy Dread
Old skool like Happy Shopper

United Kingdom

• Posted: 09/06/2017 18:17
  • Post subject:
Ahh welcome back Toni. From one F1 addict to another, here's the best song about Formula One ever...

Link

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 09/06/2017 19:08
  • Post subject:
Antonio-Pedro wrote:
06/09

"WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN KIDO, HAS A SPIDER BIT YOU OR ANYTHING?"

Probably not asked over BEA since I don't feel like my ausence was indeed missed (not that this is a bad or good thing), just making a little notebloke report so I can keep you updated with the newest info that has been circulating my solar system.pefuly life will be less tiring and exhaustivity will be less painful, life is good and looking bright ahead.

Miss you all, will be sure to post more frequently on the future xoxo
Antonio Momonio

Pure & utter bullshit, AP! You've totally been missed. We'll have to play Swap Ya again soon. That was fun, and I keep loving that album more & more. Peace! Very Happy
  • Visit poster's website
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 09/07/2017 01:09
  • Post subject:
Jimmy Dread wrote:
Ahh welcome back Toni. From one F1 addict to another, here's the best song about Formula One ever...

Link

lovelylovely! Zé roberto seems interesting, might have a dig and a sip soon.

And as a retribution gift have one of my favorite overtakes Very Happy

Link

Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 09/17/2017 18:59
  • Post subject:
17/09 - 2017 Singapore GP

Welp

Woke up very early today with high expectations since vettel has gotten pole yesterday and had a big chance of winning and keeping the championship relevant, Hamilton was starting on 5th in a downforce oriented track which should prioritize both ferrari and Red Bull. Singapore + rain seemed to be the perfect recipe for a skill leveled race with a lot of crashes. All fell down when IN THE FIRST CORNER OF THE FIRST LAP both ferraris crashed on Max Verstappen's redbull, finishing their races, leaving free space to HAMILTONWINSLOL

And they took out Alonso also (it's hard to be a mclaren Fan this year)

Now going for the music I've gotten to this week

Happy Songs For Happy People by Mogwai
Cold Blood Test
Misleading title, since mogwai quite got me into a certain sad boat mood, not saying that all the songs were meant to be that sad (hell look at kids will be skeletons which is a babywarming lullaby) but seems like they were leading to a more pop-oriented post-rock, which with time got the genre in the treshold level of creativity (as I pointed on the Explosions in the sky review a few full moons ago). And while it mantains it consistency pretty well through the record, there aren't many highs as the first and the last songs to get the feels from it, Sometimes it sounds like a lifeless sauce that is spilled over here and there, since crescendos are quite oftenly charged to mantain the post-rock status, not quite disappointing, just could be a little bit better.

Heaven Or Las Vegas by Cocteau Twins
Sugary hiccups popping
Jesus Christ, Jeeeeeez Antonio Momonio how could you overlook this record on the first time you listened to it? I remember feeling it was too dreamy even for me to enjoy it, At the fear that It was becoming boring and boringer (I know it's not real) with time, Iceblink Luck stuck on my head and was one of the key factors that brought me to re-listen to this today, and what an ethereal treasure this is. Elizabeth displays her voice in such a shining and creamy manner with the song that brings joy to my ears everytime her harmonies come along. Yeah it aged so good as a potato in a drawer lock, the production shows signs of worn since the first note of the song comes in, but it's one of the things that lesser matters when I'm listening to this, I like to quite catalog my records as a mental soundtrack for certain seasons of the year, and as this displays and the night falls it comes closer and closer that there is no other place that this belongs besides the present. Lovely stuff
Antonio-Pedro

Brazil

• Posted: 11/01/2017 00:39
  • Post subject:
31/10 or Antonio's Unexpected visit on halloween's night or Oh my god, what a day to cheers my doritos with your presence or I'm sorry but I will have to go on and pretend this is just another title for a thread post while I think about another Idea I lost in the corner of my mind.

Yadda chaps, how have you been on the last few moons? Things have been going pretty tiring but also very fruitful for the happy firefly that is now writting this message directed to you. Med school has been demanding most of my time and the short space and time that I can breath I have been trying to conciliate with art and social skills.
Felt very lirical this night so I decided to go on and spin out what has been on the top spots of my neurons and cortex inside my cuckoo mind.

Cortes Curtos by Kiko Dinucci
Cutting-the-edge Art-punk, with a lot of improvisation and energy, kiko brings not a meta meta record for this year, but a little piece of his contribution as a bigger musical piece of art.
One of the best from this year, reccomending to my bros Tilly, DBZ, Skinnyweaver and NormanBate.

Dawn: Winter Journal by Mount Eerie
As a big fan of phil, there is no denying that most of his works will bring me to the tearpool of emotions in which I am used to drow when in his microphones records. In Dawn although, he brings a much more intimate energy to the listener, only himself with his guitar, and there is no much out there besides the snow to hear him, it will always feel like a past record, doesn't matter what time you listen you can't change his fate on his diary.
Reccomended for people who love other Elverum's work, his best solo effort is here placed.

Dedicated To Bobby Jameson by Ariel Pink
As if ariel needed another out-of-line album name, he is banging in here, he is both lyrical and musically in shape as a mad duck. Time to live and another weekend are surely the best singles in here (being the first, one of the most intereseting journey into eris I had this year), but there is not so many highs as there were in pom pom (it is fairly a horse-nose more consistent)
Reccomended to Skinnyweaver, Tilly, Nowaxjim, Saoirse and Nowhereman

Twin Fantasy by Car Seat Headrest
so lo-fi it turned my JBL headphones into aeroplane shitty earbuds. Yadda yadda yadda, this is pretty cool in a way I can't describe, just listen to it if you would like to listen to the voice of a distopyan version of teen angst... doesn't seem so cool on paper, it rocks though, it has the anotnio-oficial-seal of aproval.
Reccomended to anyone anywhere.