R&B, Soul, & Funk Music: Competition and Discussion

Goto page Previous  12345678910  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
AfterHours wrote:


There's a Riot Goin On... I've considered upgrading it on various occasions...







Seriously though ๐Ÿคฃ Ill revisit it before the deadline just to be sure
_________________
Best Classical
Best Films
Best Paintings
  • Quote
haha - no worries. I personally am more particular to Stand!, probably because of the pop/stand up to the man element to it... even if it has a 10 minute jam on side B (or whatever).
  • Quote
sethmadsen wrote:
Thanks for the vote Mercury! I'll make sure to add to the tally.

Anyone have anymore singles? I love singles from this genre.


Why of course I have more singles. These are some of my very very very favorites.


Keep On Truckin... Eddie Kendricks
Me and Mrs. Jones.... Billy Paul
Got to Give It Up... Marvin Gaye
Come Go With Me (If You're Ready)... Staple Singers
Nutbush City Limits... Ike and Tina Turner
Will it Go Round in Circles... Billy Preston
I Love Music... The O'Jays
Low Rider.... War
The Love I Lost... Harold Melvin & the Bluenotes
Time Has Come Today... Chambers Brothers
Ooh Child... Five Stairsteps
On Broadway... The Drifters
Strawberry Letter 23 ... Brothers Johnson
When Will I See You Again... Three Degrees
Bernadette... Four Tops
Neither One of Us... Gladys Knight & the Pips
Dancing Machine... Jackson 5
Shame... Evelyn Champagne King
Love Machine... The Miracles
Don't Leave Me This Way... Thelma Houston
Just My Imagination... The Temptations
Love Hangover... Diana Ross
  • Quote
How come it never works when I try to do that YouTube thing? I don't know what I'm doing wrong. I follow the instructions but it still doesn't work. I'm going to keep trying until it works


Link




Link



Link



Link
[/youtube]
  • Quote
glynspsa wrote:

7.

Small Talk At 125th And Lenox by Gil Scott-Heron

I did consider nominating this myself, but does it really fit? It's a fabulous record but it's pretty much just straight jazz poetry/spoken word. arguably a little soul-jazz in there but it's definitely not the focus
  • Quote
Final List:

1. Star Time - James Brown
2. Fresh - Sly & The Family Stone
3. Otis Blue - Otis Redding
4. Mothership Connection - Parliament
5. They Say I'm Different - Betty Davis
6. Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
7. Innervisions - Stevie Wonder
8. Look-Ka Py-Py - The Meters
9. Sign O' The Times - Prince
10. Call Me - Al Green

Honorable Mentions (forgot to toss some in the first time)

The Scene of the Crime - Bettye LaVette
The Best of Solomon Burke
What's Going On - Marvin Gaye
Still Bill - Bill Withers
Superfly - Curtis Mayfield
New Amerykah Part One (4th World War) - Erykah Badu
  • Quote
dividesbyzero wrote:
glynspsa wrote:

7.

Small Talk At 125th And Lenox by Gil Scott-Heron

I did consider nominating this myself, but does it really fit? It's a fabulous record but it's pretty much just straight jazz poetry/spoken word. arguably a little soul-jazz in there but it's definitely not the focus



I was torn so i googled what genre it was considered and since it listed soul as one of the genres along with jazz i went with it. I agree its borderline, but i am not generally big on labels so i said f#(& it and put it in, it is my list after all. lol.
  • Quote
Right on! Awesome last minute votes. Voting of course is open until end of the 15th.

RE: albums that might not fit... if you can show it as listed as a primary genre (not like the 5th tagged one)... then I think it fits. There's a few that were previously at like the 5th genre had the word soul in it...

Small Talk At 125th And Lenox has no chance of being in the finalist round (with 4 points) so in a way I don't care anyway, but if you'd like to submit something again that does have soul as a primary genre, I'm cool with that too.

I'm just happy with the level of participation and fantastic soul record recommendations I haven't heard yet.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  12345678910  Next
Page 5 of 10


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
Electronic Music: Discussion & Co... RoundTheBend Tournaments
Regional Music: Competition & Dis... RoundTheBend Tournaments
Classical Music: Discussion & Com... RoundTheBend Tournaments
Hip-Hop Music: Competition and Discus... RoundTheBend Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.