You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 402403404 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Coat Of Many Colors by Dolly Parton

I struggle to enjoy country music like this. I have always found her voice annoying. I do like the tale and message of the title track, the only song here I already knew. She seems great though. 5.5/10




Maybe not an exciting pick as there is a few good interesting ones to choose from here but I have always had a soft spot for Breakfast In America.


Breakfast In America by Supertramp




Top 65 Music Albums of 1971 by Mercury (2 picks left)

10. 'Frisco Mabel Joy by Mickey Newbury
12. Live-Evil by Miles Davis
16. If You Saw Thro' My Eyes by Ian Matthews
19. Live In Cook County Jail by B.B. King
24. Getting Ready by Freddie King
25. Time Of The Last Persecution by Bill Fay
27. Delta Momma Blues by Townes Van Zandt
32. Jack Johnson by Miles Davis
34. Nilsson Schmilsson by Harry Nilsson
35. The Point! by Harry Nilsson
  • Quote
1.


Breakfast In America by Supertramp

This is my first time hearing an album from Supertramp, and it's their most commercially successful foray into pop, which is a good place to start. The only song I recognize is The Logical Song, which is a great track. There are a couple of other very strong songs, the rest are quite good, and overall Breakfast In America makes for a catchy and interesting listen. I have to say, I was not expecting this to be so pervasively gloomy. It's all about disillusionment and life coming unglued. Not a personal favorite off the bat, but I can certainly appreciate it. 3.5/5.

~~~~~

2. Listen to his most rock-oriented album:


Jack Johnson by Miles Davis

~~~~~

3. Pop Genre Grab Bag: Space Age Pop

2. I Hear A New World: An Outer Space Music Fantasy - Joe Meek & The Blue Men
3. Swing Slow - Swing Slow
4. Manhattan Research Inc.: New Plastic Sounds And Electronic Abstractions - Raymond Scott
5. Avant Hard - Add N To (X)
6. The Amazing New Electronic Pop Sound Of Jean-Jacques Perrey - Jean-Jacques Perrey
8. For Beginner Piano - Plone
9. How Can We Be Joyful In A World Full Of Knowledge - Bruno Pernadas
11. Other Worlds Other Sounds - Esquivel And His Orchestra
13. Moog Indigo - Jean-Jacques Perrey
16. Galaxy Crisis: The Strangest Midnight Broadcast - ็Ž‹่‹ฅ็ณ [Joanna Wang]
_________________
Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
  • Quote

Jack Johnson by Miles Davis

This was really cool, and a lot more rock than I've heard Miles Davis. Of course its great - look at the talent involved. The second track took a bit to get going but once it got there it was worth it. This is now right up there in the Miles Davis albums I've liked the most. I would happily put this on again. 8.5/10, 16/49, and #64 for the decade.




Avant Hard is the only one I've heard and its good.


Avant Hard by Add N To (X)




Top 65 Music Albums of 1971 by Mercury (last pick)

10. 'Frisco Mabel Joy by Mickey Newbury
12. Live-Evil by Miles Davis
16. If You Saw Thro' My Eyes by Ian Matthews
19. Live In Cook County Jail by B.B. King
24. Getting Ready by Freddie King
25. Time Of The Last Persecution by Bill Fay
27. Delta Momma Blues by Townes Van Zandt
34. Nilsson Schmilsson by Harry Nilsson
35. The Point! by Harry Nilsson
36. Judee Sill by Judee Sill
  • Quote
1)

Geek The Girl by Lisa Germano
I gotta say this was remarkably meh. I didn't dislike it, but there was nothing really memorable in here and nothing that made Germano stand out among the other wonderful 90s singer-songwriters like Gillian Welch, PJ Harvey, Tori Amos, etc.

I think maybe I was expecting more out of slowcore/dream pop but the singer-songwriter genre really dominated, to the point where I'm not sure if I would even consider this dream pop. Slowcore, sure, but usually I expect a little more drone or innovation in slowcore than this album contained.

I think everything I've said has been negative so far, but the writing itself was pretty solid. On songs like "Cry Wolf" and "...A Psychopath", the lyrics were quite simple, but haunting and alluring and really drew me in. That's not something that happens with everything I listen to. I just wish the music around the lyrics was a little more interesting. Low 3/5.

2)
Glad you liked Jack Johnson. Among Miles' famous 70s albums, there's some hits and misses for me, but Jack Johnson ranks right at the top with Bitches Brew. That said...

Live-Evil by Miles Davis
This is my favorite of Miles' 70s albums. The live portions were recorded at the Cellar Door in Washington, DC with Keith Jarrett and Jon McLaughlin in the band. The studio ("Evil") parts were recorded in NYC a variety of different artists, but Keith Jarrett, Herbie Hancock, and Chick Corea feature on most of them. Wayne Shorter's on one track too, and that's my favorite one. I'm not really a big fan of Miles' other live 70s output, and I think this album being a live/studio fusion helps me to enjoy it more, and enjoy the live bits more too.

3)
Mercury's Top Albums of the 1990s
The albums I'm most looking forward to are in bold, but I'm open to all of them!
31. Souls at Zero by Neurosis
45. Somewhere Between Heaven and Hell by Social Distortion
47. Resurrection of the Bayou Maharajah by James Booker
48. And She Closed Her Eyes by Stina Nordenstam
56. March 16-20, 1992 by Uncle Tupelo
57. His Best (Chess 50th Anniversary Collection) by Little Walter
58. Ocean Machine: Biomech by Devin Townsend
61. Heartwork by Carcass
62. Seasons in the Abyss by Slayer
67. Left Hand Path by Entombed

(feel free to pick anything, not just the bold ones. I've decided I'm going to see this list through the end)
_________________
51 Washington, D.C. albums!
  • Quote
1.

Quebec by Ween

Okay so I listened to this several times in a row a few days ago and I didn't fully know what to make of it. It wasn't what I was expecting. I had previously heard (and been weirded out by and quite liked) their album Chocolate and Cheese, as well as The Pod (which I mostly don't remember). So when I pushed play on this I guess I expected a very strange and very scattered and funny and quirky listen. And, while I did get that, I can say that I hear a lot of genuinely moving music here that is pretty indescribable and gorgeous.

The opening track, "It's Gonna Be A Long Night", I heard many many times when I was a lad because it was on a sampler CD iirc. I remember thinking it was a fucking kickass Motorhead tribute with some hilarious lyrics and I honestly have been satying for years (randomly and to varying response) "You bring the razor blade and I'll bring the speed!". Bt I didn't know that song was from this album so when I heard that I got super excited and it sounds as good as ever. Then... every track after proceeds to not sound at all, not even a little, like it. Which cracks me up. This whole album basically doesn't ever repeat itself. Each track is recorded and produced immaculately and each track and sound is fleshed out and embodied beautifully and there are just gobs and gobs and gobs of ear-candy parts to this album. And what is also really cool as that the second half of the album actually manages to get stronger (to my ears) than the first half. It has a whimsical, soft, melodic vibe especially in the second half (as well as much of side A so to speak) that just makes me happy. The solo on "I Don't Want It" is stunning as is the entire track. Other songs like "Among His Tribe", "Captain", "Chocolate Town", "Tried and True" etc are allll executed beautifully.

Honestly I don't generally like my music to be too quirky or funny and part of me was worried when I went into this album that it would be goofy and silly and stupid - I recently had a bad experience trying to listen to and enjoy They Might Be Giants and so I was ready to just think this was not my thing. BUT somehow this album when it gets quirky and funny I find myself buying in somewhat and I really don't know why. "So Many People In The Neighborhood" in almost any other hands would annoy me. As would the ridiculous and quite funny "The F****d Jam", but on here they just work and they are strange and surreal enough and muiscally creative enough to not JUST make me laugh but also kind of just fascinate me as well. Super cool.

And it must be said again that the second half and really the last 30-40% of this album is just 1 amazing and incredible track after another. Just awesome. As I listened I found myself getting more and more familiar (duh) and more and more just kind of in love with this album. Now I listen again as I write this and after 2 or 3 days to marinate I already can see that coming back to this album is like coming back to have a chat with old dear friends. This was the first LP I listened to in this new year and after 4 listens its safe to say that I picked a great and almost instantly a favorite to start the year off with. Easily an 8-9/10. Likely to increase in love as the months and years go on.

-------------------------
@EyeKanFly, okay so... I shall pick a good one I hope... this chart is full of great ones, I am impressed lol...


Resurrection Of The Bayou Maharajah by James Booker

this man is wild and this is a pretty scatter brained live album, scatterbrained and genius and manic and just a great representation of the man himself.


------------------------

3.

CHANGE!

Probably won't be doing this long because I'll get bored possibly. But who knows. I tend not to like the rock and pop that dominates our charts sometimes. But maybe not... we shall see...

Highest ranked albums on BEA that I have not heard or effectively haven't:

99. Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin/1975 (Reasonably familiar with I, II and III and like em. Very familiar with IV and really like it. Pretty familiar with Houses of the Holy and I don't like it. Can't say I've heard this more than a couple times all the way through. Can't remember much about it outside of "Kashmir")

114. Amnesiac by Radiohead/2001 (I don't remember much about this outside of it being from the same recordings as Kid A and having a similar sound...? I think I may be wrong. But yeah I have never been interested in listening to this in the last 20 years nearly. which is weird because the albums before and after in their discog are quite well worn.)

122. Demon Days by Gorillaz/2005 (I have heard this once or twice and I never got the hype. I remember it being pretty good. But I don't remember enough about it at this time.)

153. Moving Pictures by Rush/1981 (I heard this recently, don't remember it much. Fair warning: Rush ain't usually my cuppa, so I may be disrespectful but will try not to be.)

158. Currents by Tame Impala/2015 (Tame Impala never really did much for me. This album I remember coming out and I thought it was divisive but now on both this site and RYM its become a bit of a modern classic. Have I EVER heard this all the way through? Honestly, I can't say I have. I have tried but bolted mostly on track 1. I will give it a go now if chosen.)

170. Quadrophenia by The Who/1973 (I have never listened to this all the way through. I know, I know... damned shameful.)

176. The Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse/1997 (Yep, I have heard this... but I never really really closely listened. I used to love the Moon and Antarctica. But somehow I had never really gotten into this one and can't remember much about it.)

178. Absolution by Muse/2003 (I have never heard a single Muse album all the way through. This band is probably the MOST BEA of classic bands. I have often seen their albums high on BEA charts and wondered if this was some kind of error. I thought it was generally accepted that Muse sucked... but maybe that is just my snobbery coming in. I will give this a chance if picked.)

183. The Origin of Symmetry by Muse/2001 (And another one. Same as the other muse. Pick whichever you think would be a better introduction of whatever is the better Muse album.)

196. AM by Arctic Monkeys/2013 (I have never really been into this famous band. But their debut and second albums are pretty good. This I've never heard.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
baystateoftheart wrote:
Skinny wrote:
baystateoftheart wrote:
1.


Searching For The Young Soul Rebels by Dexys Midnight Runners

I was curious about the origin of the band name, and it turns out they're named after a drug used in the northern soul scene that helped people dance all night long, which makes quite a bit of sense. Their debut is an interesting combo of soul and new wave, with music that's both heavily horn-driven and infused with punk energy. There aren't any massive hooks here like Come On Eileen, but there are plenty of passionate vocals, a couple great tunes, and no duds. Even the instrumental and the track that's just poetry fit in context. Geno is good, but not one of my favorites on here, and I'm a bit confused about how it was a #1 hit. While it's not a personal favorite off the bat, this is quite a fun listen and about on par with Too-Rye-Ay. 3.5/5.


Wigan Casino and the whole Northern Soul scene was huge. Kids would make pilgrimages from across the UK to visit the nightclubs and dance all night to forgotten US soul singles. However, because of the nature of the scene (with its big โ€œhitsโ€ largely being rediscovered soul singles that certain DJs found whilst holidaying - and later scavenging - in the States), it obviously never dented the pop charts, despite its huge influence and popularity. So, when Dexyโ€™s came out with a catchy horn riff on a song that paid direct homage to the scene and namechecked one of its biggest โ€œstarsโ€, whilst retaining some of the sneery punk energy that had populated the Top 40 regularly over the previous few years, it resonated with a lot of people. Whilst it might seem like an anomaly to outsiders, its popularity made perfect sense. (All of this fails to mention the British soul boom of the late โ€˜70s and early โ€˜80s, too, when acts like Billy Ocean and Junior Giscombe and Sade and Imagination were able to find chart success, as well as the likes of Culture Club and Spandau Ballet and Simply Red, whose sounds very much drew on American soul.)


Thanks for the context! My confusion was more about the sound being much less catchy and pop-oriented than a typical #1. A song that has an instrumental hook and lacks a knock-out chorus is a pretty weird combo when it comes to topping the charts. Maybe it's less weird in the UK?


I think it probably is just less weird here. A lot of first- and second-wave ska songs that were popular here were driven primarily by catchy horn riffs/hooks. Also, thereโ€™s a real football chant energy to โ€˜Genoโ€™ in particular that likely struck a chord with young, white, working class men at the time. I dunno, for whatever reason its popularity makes perfect sense to me, even if itโ€™s not one of my favourites of theirs.
_________________
2021 in full effect. Come drop me some recs. Y'all know what I like.
  • Quote
(1)

30 by Adele
I thought that maybe, just maybe I've never enjoyed Adele as much as I wanted to because of my skewed perspective. To me, Adele is that not very memorable pop diva which is famous because grandmas and people with no music taste whatsoever have to buy Christmas gifts for their teen nephews or family friends which they haven't seen in a long time. You gotta act like you're in on the music trends (yeah, Adele is a real one, there just aren't any real musicians out there now except for her) when, in reality, you don't really care about music enough to even try listening to new releases. Mild annoyance/rant/discussion over, a detailed look at the midlife crisis + breakup album of one of the biggest pop stars of our times lies ahead.

And it all starts on a very positive note music-wise, Strangers By Nature is beautiful. The second track Easy On Me, a leading single, is one of the reasons why I get my hopes up with Adele. A pretty good, catchy, nostalgic soul cut with a modern approach which totally works. Ear candy, passable lyrics, not at all annoying display of her pop hooks. My Little Love is the most personal cut on the whole thing I'd say, the spoken parts kinda throw you off and don't really work with the instrumental, but it's an admirable try and a fine song overall. These are all some of her better tracks.

Then we have Cry Your Heart Out/Oh My God, which is a nearly insufferable duo with its "quirky" quasi-modern ideas. Both songs just end up sounding extremely irritating. Oh My God is an especially terrible single choice, upbeat gospel and pop/RnB done in the most aggressively mediocre and wannabe catchy way you can imagine. Then some classic country flavours on Can I Get It, which adds a Young Folks-like whistling, a terrible sax, an awful Ed Sheeran-like acoustic breakdown before the final chorus... I was waiting for a generic trap beat to kick in at some point. A disaster of a track beyond the first 30 seconds. I Drink Wine is another fine old school soul cut with a modern twist (Can I Get It probably tried to do the same thing with country, but it failed miserably), really wouldn't mind hearing something like this on the radio. All Night Parking Interlude has some weird lowkey electronic drums playing triplets, a totally unnecessary addition to some of the most personal lyrics on the album. Woman Like Me was the most forgettable cut, but it wasn't too bad I guess. "Complacency is the worst trait to have" indeed.

The closing trio of lengthy ballads is very interesting. Hold On is an "epic" soulful ballad with some cool droney synths in the background. It starts off extremely well, love the first 3-4 minutes. Then erupts at around 4:30 minute mark and feels kinda forced. Shoves the bigger than life sentiment down your throat with nonsensical additions of weird backing vocals. 5-6 minute mark aren't really my jam. To Be Loved is another long and, well, BIG track. The best ballad apart from the opener, the lyrics were a major selling point for me here, which is not often the case with generic pop ballads. The song structure is simple and effective, the execution is much better than on the previous cut. Emotional peak isn't reached with out-of-place choirs or orchestral sections, rather with good progression and an immaculate piano/voice combo. Maybe a bit too long, yes, but it works. Love Is A Game is a good middle ground. It's got more things going on than bare-bones To Be Loved, from minimal drums, backing vocals to violins, but it sounds much more tasteful than Hold On. Overall perhaps not as impactful as the preceding song, yet still a good, positive way to close an album about heartbreak.

Didn't really change my mind at all, if anything, my "skewed perspective" of Adele is spot on. Went back and listened to 21, pretty much confirmed this as well, even if it's a better album. Totally forgot about that Lovesong cover, it's not that good but still an interesting combination. 30 is a meh pop album which would've worked better as a full-blown 70s throwback, but I still didn't mind it much except for a few awful tracks. (Reading this block of text again and turns out it sounds far too critical, as it often is with my reviews... Sorry to any and all Adele fans here, she's cool and I respect her.) 6/10

(2)
A bunch of classics, some of them excellent, but I don't feel like giving you anything special from that list. So go from the top Merc.

(3)
2021

Plebeian Grandstand - Rien ne suffit
Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
Blanck Mass - In Ferneaux
Portico Quartet - Monument
Trhรค - Endlhรซtonรซg
Aesop Rock & Blockhead - Garbology
dltzk - Frailty
Sadness - _____
Ill Considered - Liminal Space
Kaatayra - Inpariquipรช
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
1.


Physical Graffiti by Led Zeppelin

This was surprisingly enjoyable. I think I gave myself enough space from Zeppelin for long enough that coming back and hearing a legitimately new (to me) peak Zeppelin album was super enjoyable. I found myself actually listening to these songs and those drums and that crisp production and those sick guitar riffs and fucking smiling happily in quasi-awe of these rock gods. That is an experience I haven't had with almost anyone in years and definitely not with Zeppelin since I was maybe 15.

I grew up with a father that LOVED Zeppelin. And there came a time when I just said "yeah, this is great and I can hear it but its not MY thing so bye bitchezzz". And that was a while back and that was a pretty thorough decision. I really haven't fucked with Zeppelin in long looong time. Basically, this is all a basic bitch way of saying, yeah these dudes were really good and some of these songs are fucking NEXTY LEVEL! They are groovy, heavy, artistic, passionate and cool as hell.

The album is NOT to me the best Zeppelin did, nor is it one of the great double albums. Much like All Things Must Pass this thing should have cut off most of the last 30% and if they had done that I think this may legitimately be up there with IV or, at least, II. On the strength of "Custard Pie", "The Rover", about 60% of the too long but really cool sounding "In My Time of Dying", "Houses of the Holy", "Trampled Under Foot", "Kashmir", "Bron Yr Stomp", and "Down by the Seaside" with a little last 3rd magic (not much of it) "The Wanton Song"... fuck that would be a TIGHT and damn near perfect 60-ish minute hard rock album. "Boogie With Stu" is okay actually, as is the overly sentimental yet surprisingly affecting "Ten Years Gone". Okay, so maybe this takes more listens and maybe if a I give it a few more listens I will start liking that post-persona;-burnout stage of the album. But yeah as of now 83 minutes of Zeppelin in a row even when its varied and pretty high quality like this, is just too much for me. Okay, fuck I'm rambling.

Some songs that legit blew me away more than anything else were "The Rover" (I love the whole flow and groove and badassery of that track sooo much.), and especially love that 2 song 1-2 punch of soft, truly unexpectedly gorgeous and legit moving songs with "Bron-Yr-Stomp" followed by "Down By The Seaside". (and to some degree "Ten Years Gone" but, again, it was a bit too dependent on the very very mawkish and irritating Plant vocals). I just love that they got so soft and earnest in the middle of this beast of a rock album. "Kashmir" I have heard too many times and I have heard TOO MUCH about it to enjoy it much, but I can acknowledge that is probably due to things other than the quality of the tune. There are other good ones. But really those first 3 songs mentioned in this paragraph are my personal faves as of now.

Overall It was really nice and refreshing (weirdly) to hear such a classic album by such a classic group - and to feel like I was NEWLY discovering this 47 years late.

Personal Zeppelin album ranks of those albums I really have much of a fresh or memorable impression of is IV>>II>Physical Graffiti>I>III>>>Houses of the Holy.

-------------------------
@LedZep, this one is the only one on my 2021 top 100 (without a note or serious close listening, just heard it and really liked it and stuck it on there with the intent of later writing something about it but have not done do...). I am curious what your thoughts will be...


Frailty by Dltzk

------------------------

3.

CHANGE!


Highest ranked albums on BEA that I have not heard or effectively haven't:


114. Amnesiac by Radiohead/2001 (I don't remember much about this outside of it being from the same recordings as Kid A and having a similar sound...? I think I may be wrong. But yeah I have never been interested in listening to this in the last 20 years nearly. which is weird because the albums before and after in their discog are quite well worn.)

122. Demon Days by Gorillaz/2005 (I have heard this once or twice and I never got the hype. I remember it being pretty good. But I don't remember enough about it at this time.)

153. Moving Pictures by Rush/1981 (I heard this recently, don't remember it much. Fair warning: Rush ain't usually my cuppa, so I may be disrespectful but will try not to be.)

158. Currents by Tame Impala/2015 (Tame Impala never really did much for me. This album I remember coming out and I thought it was divisive but now on both this site and RYM its become a bit of a modern classic. Have I EVER heard this all the way through? Honestly, I can't say I have. I have tried but bolted mostly on track 1. I will give it a go now if chosen.)

170. Quadrophenia by The Who/1973 (I have never listened to this all the way through. I know, I know... damned shameful.)

176. The Lonesome Crowded West by Modest Mouse/1997 (Yep, I have heard this... but I never really really closely listened. I used to love the Moon and Antarctica. But somehow I had never really gotten into this one and can't remember much about it.)

178. Absolution by Muse/2003 (I have never heard a single Muse album all the way through. This band is probably the MOST BEA of classic bands. I have often seen their albums high on BEA charts and wondered if this was some kind of error. I thought it was generally accepted that Muse sucked... but maybe that is just my snobbery coming in. I will give this a chance if picked.)

183. The Origin of Symmetry by Muse/2001 (And another one. Same as the other muse. Pick whichever you think would be a better introduction of whatever is the better Muse album.)

196. AM by Arctic Monkeys/2013 (I have never really been into this famous band. But their debut and second albums are pretty good. This I've never heard.)

203. ...Like Clockwork by Queens of the Stone Age/2013 (Another 2013 rock album that somehow flew under my radar at the time and yet has become pretty notable and loved since. I am intrigued by this one.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote

Live-Evil by Miles Davis

This is the 9th Miles Davis album I've listened to now and I didn't like it as much as other albums of his. It had some great moments, but maybe because it was mostly live, they seemed to drag out each of those moments for way too long, as if they were playing for themselves and loving what they were doing in that bit while the audience (or at least me) was getting restless. I never found myself getting caught up in a particular moment where I just wanted it to keep going. This made the lengthy 1hr 41mins feel like it. Tpo put it clumsily, I liked of lot of what they were doing without liking what they were doing as a whole. It maybe my lack of affinity with Jazz, but it pretty much sounded like one long 100 min track. I couldn't tell when one song had ended and another started. I'm giving it a generous low 7/10 for its moments, and 45/50 for 1970.




Apart from Rush I can find a reason to give you every other one of these albums, but ...Like Clockwork is the best QOTSA album imo and is the only one of these on my all time chart. I'm glad I got to see them live when they toured this album.


...Like Clockwork by Queens Of The Stone Age




Well Repo poked his head in again while I'm was in 1971 which is a good enough excuse to do one more run of 1971 with his chart.

Top 38 Music Albums of 1971 by Repo (5 picks left)

3. Moving Waves by Focus
4. In Search Of Space by Hawkwind
5. Budgie by Budgie
6. Growers Of Mushroom by Leaf Hound
7. Thin Lizzy by Thin Lizzy
8. Sir Lord Baltimore by Sir Lord Baltimore
9. Fireball by Deep Purple
10. Ash Ra Tempel by Ash Ra Tempel
11. Look At Yourself by Uriah Heep
12. Bonnie Raitt by Bonnie Raitt
  • Quote
Quote:
I think I gave myself enough space from Zeppelin for long enough that coming back and hearing a legitimately new (to me) peak Zeppelin album was super enjoyable. I found myself actually listening to these songs and those drums and that crisp production and those sick guitar riffs and fucking smiling happily in quasi-awe of these rock gods.
This is pretty much what I do lol. Also had a Zeppelin phase in my childhood/early teenage years, also stopped listening to them entirely, and now every once in a while when I revisit Physical Graffiti (and other albums) it's so much fun. Glad you liked it.


(1)

Frailty by Dltzk
This was interesting, but not exactly my style. I do listen to a lot of hyperpop as one of my friends is a big Soundcloud scene fan. Singles can be fire, albums though? Not that often imo, I can name a handful I like, most are relatively short, more pop than hyper. And, yes, I do realise how weird that sounds when I liked a very out-there 2 and a half hour A.G. Cook album that dropped last year. But that seems to be an exception, as it's varied and pretty great overall. Here I found myself struggling with almost 60 minutes of straight up glitchy, noisy, experimental pop and electronic that makes up the majority of "frailty". Maybe needs another listen or two to fully digest, but I don't have time for it right now, to be frank. So while I can't single out a song which was bad (there wasn't any mediocre or bad tracks, in fact), I'm not sure if I've enjoyed it too much. No personal highlights except possibly "kodak moment", but there were several interesting things I noticed. The opening track is an Elliott Smith or even Microphones-like lofi folk, no indication that this is gonna be a noisy album. A very contrarian choice for an opening statement. Some songs like "how to lie" and "eyes off the wheel, i'm a star" have heavier rock/punk/metal elements as well, which is not a new thing on Soundcloud, but it's not that often seen in the more mainstream hyperpop circles. Gecs did it too, though. The album is actually not as "hyper" as you'd expect, but it's still very glitchy and not an easy listen if you aren't into this style. Decent album though, no question. In relation to this, I want to listen to that PinkPantheress mixtape which conquered the TikTok AND it was also relevant in the music community, which I find fascinating. As for "frailty", for now it's 7/10

(2)
Sir Lord Baltimore are great, although I've never heard the s/t.

(3)
2021

Plebeian Grandstand - Rien ne suffit
Courtney Barnett - Things Take Time, Take Time
Blanck Mass - In Ferneaux
Portico Quartet - Monument
Trhรค - Endlhรซtonรซg
Aesop Rock & Blockhead - Garbology
Sadness - _____
Ill Considered - Liminal Space
Kaatayra - Inpariquipรช
Springtime - Springtime
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 402403404 ... 444445446  Next
Page 403 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.