Is it cheating to put Best-of's in your Top 100???

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
View previous topic :: View next topic
RoundTheBend
I miss the comfort in being sad

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2018 22:56
  • Post subject:
Ok, so here's my non-studio album albums:

The tracklisting doesn't seem to match the cover... probably should fix that (I don't think I added this album) but it's a comp of: Firebird / Petroushka / Rite of Spring / Apollo

Igor Stravinsky: Rite Of Spring by Igor...ilharmonic

While I very much like Stand!, There's A Riot Going On, Dance to the Music, and Fresh, this, to me, best represents the greatness of Sly and The Family Stone... another comp, Anthology, comes close. Stand! would probably make a top 200, but I'm glad this comp brings one of my favorite artists into my top 100.

Greatest Hits by Sly & The Family Stone

Legend - done already said why and is same as Sly. I think they both are some of my favorite artists, but only near perfect albums make my top 100 and I don't feel like Sly or Bob made perfect albums, rather some amazing music put well together in a comp. If Legend didn't exist, Exodus would probably only make a top 200 list, but I'm glad this comp brings one of my favorite artists into my top 100.

Legend by Bob Marley And The Wailers

To me, in spite of what great lists show, The Rolling Stones aren't great album makers. They have good albums, but nothing great. Exile and Some Girls seem to me to be their most cohesive. The others have a couple songs to ruin it. This also finds some of their best early blues music.

Hot Rocks 1964–1971 by The Rolling Stones

Back in 2011 or so when I first found this site, I listened to Donovan's discography because I was super excited to learn more about his music. I wasn't terribly impressed. Not one album was amazing (imo, of course). I really, really like a decent chunk of Donovan's music, but sitting at 32, this best of shall stay.

Donovan's Greatest Hits by Donovan

I liked Pearl jam's single's alright, and Ten is a pretty good album. But I couldn't really bring myself to put a Pearl Jam album in the top 100, except for this great live album. Many of Pearl Jam's albums become lifeless comparatively.

Jones Beach, New York August 25, 2000 by Pearl Jam

Another band I really like, and Disintegration is a pretty good album, but really liked their best of the best of all their albums I've listened to. The Mixed up album was a close second. Another band that, imo, suffers from slightly dull albums, but great songwriters nonetheless:

Standing On A Beach - The Singles by The Cure

The first CD I bought. Damn the Torpedoes and Full Moon Fever are fine albums, but not as good as this, imo.

Greatest Hits by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

There's about 4 CCR albums I'd give an 85 to (really like) but still wouldn't make my overall. So this comes in it's place for America's answer to the British Invasion:

Chronicle - The 20 Greatest Hits by Cre...er Revival

I actually didn't know this was a comp - but I think it's his best collection of songs.

What'd I Say by Ray Charles

James Brown's music is nearly 30% all about the energy, and well you can't capture it any better than a live album.

Live At The Apollo by James Brown

I think someone said this is a comp as well. Kinda don't care - out of his discography, this is what I liked most:

Chuck Berry Is On Top by Chuck Berry

Same as James Brown, I feel Talking Heads are best live.

Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads

I probably missed an album or two. That's ok. Thing is up until the punk era, many, many albums are just a collection of songs the artist recorded and the record company did the rest. In a way, a majority of studio albums are just a comp of songs during a certain period. I mean, I'm gleaming this from what I've understood from music history, record companies, why The Beatles got the whatever that they did, etc.
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/24/2018 23:47
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:
Ok, so here's my non-studio album albums:

The tracklisting doesn't seem to match the cover... probably should fix that (I don't think I added this album) but it's a comp of: Firebird / Petroushka / Rite of Spring / Apollo

Igor Stravinsky: Rite Of Spring by Igor...ilharmonic

While I very much like Stand!, There's A Riot Going On, Dance to the Music, and Fresh, this, to me, best represents the greatness of Sly and The Family Stone... another comp, Anthology, comes close. Stand! would probably make a top 200, but I'm glad this comp brings one of my favorite artists into my top 100.

Greatest Hits by Sly & The Family Stone

Legend - done already said why and is same as Sly. I think they both are some of my favorite artists, but only near perfect albums make my top 100 and I don't feel like Sly or Bob made perfect albums, rather some amazing music put well together in a comp. If Legend didn't exist, Exodus would probably only make a top 200 list, but I'm glad this comp brings one of my favorite artists into my top 100.

Legend by Bob Marley And The Wailers

To me, in spite of what great lists show, The Rolling Stones aren't great album makers. They have good albums, but nothing great. Exile and Some Girls seem to me to be their most cohesive. The others have a couple songs to ruin it. This also finds some of their best early blues music.

Hot Rocks 1964–1971 by The Rolling Stones

Back in 2011 or so when I first found this site, I listened to Donovan's discography because I was super excited to learn more about his music. I wasn't terribly impressed. Not one album was amazing (imo, of course). I really, really like a decent chunk of Donovan's music, but sitting at 32, this best of shall stay.

Donovan's Greatest Hits by Donovan

I liked Pearl jam's single's alright, and Ten is a pretty good album. But I couldn't really bring myself to put a Pearl Jam album in the top 100, except for this great live album. Many of Pearl Jam's albums become lifeless comparatively.

Jones Beach, New York August 25, 2000 by Pearl Jam

Another band I really like, and Disintegration is a pretty good album, but really liked their best of the best of all their albums I've listened to. The Mixed up album was a close second. Another band that, imo, suffers from slightly dull albums, but great songwriters nonetheless:

Standing On A Beach - The Singles by The Cure

The first CD I bought. Damn the Torpedoes and Full Moon Fever are fine albums, but not as good as this, imo.

Greatest Hits by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers

There's about 4 CCR albums I'd give an 85 to (really like) but still wouldn't make my overall. So this comes in it's place for America's answer to the British Invasion:

Chronicle - The 20 Greatest Hits by Cre...er Revival

I actually didn't know this was a comp - but I think it's his best collection of songs.

What'd I Say by Ray Charles

James Brown's music is nearly 30% all about the energy, and well you can't capture it any better than a live album.

Live At The Apollo by James Brown

I think someone said this is a comp as well. Kinda don't care - out of his discography, this is what I liked most:

Chuck Berry Is On Top by Chuck Berry

Same as James Brown, I feel Talking Heads are best live.

Stop Making Sense by Talking Heads

I probably missed an album or two. That's ok. Thing is up until the punk era, many, many albums are just a collection of songs the artist recorded and the record company did the rest. In a way, a majority of studio albums are just a comp of songs during a certain period. I mean, I'm gleaming this from what I've understood from music history, record companies, why The Beatles got the whatever that they did, etc.

I agree with what you said about a lot of these albums. Especially Sly and the Family Stone and the Rolling Stones. And Donovan too.
But but I disagree with what you said about albums being just haphazard collections of songs until the punk era. By time the seventies even started albums were being conceived as albums rather than just collections of songs. It started long before the punk era. Not only was it the era of the concept album, but most artists weren't thinking in terms of singles and individual tracks anymore. Of course all of them weren't great, but you can tell they were trying to create a kind of cohesive whole created from Individual tracks.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2018 02:52
  • Post subject:
bobbyb5 wrote:

I agree with what you said about a lot of these albums. Especially Sly and the Family Stone and the Rolling Stones. And Donovan too.
But but I disagree with what you said about albums being just haphazard collections of songs until the punk era. By time the seventies even started albums were being conceived as albums rather than just collections of songs. It started long before the punk era. Not only was it the era of the concept album, but most artists weren't thinking in terms of singles and individual tracks anymore. Of course all of them weren't great, but you can tell they were trying to create a kind of cohesive whole created from Individual tracks.

Yeah - I agree with this too. It's not all black and white and I said "most albums" when I really have no idea what the actual number is... it's just a gut feel that most artists aren't in full control of their albums and throughout history that has waxed and waned, but still is a thing to this day. I suppose I'm just speaking to the point that some people think artists always have a big role in the track listing and which tracks get released as singles and what's on the cover, heck even what the band is called... often artists don't make those choices. Wouldn't Radiohead be called On A Friday or something if it weren't for a record company telling them that's a dumb name? Record companies (although not as much as they used to) often (that means not always) would play massive role in everything the album had (artwork, tracklisting, the songs themselves, mixing, etc.) - so it's kind of ironic there's an argument that record companies doing a best of isn't as authentic when the record company was possibly making as much of a decision on the studio album too.

All I'm getting at is there's a massive number of studio albums that are equally not as authentic... and even highly rated/ranked/purchased records. I suppose all I'm saying is I'm not sure I get the logic of saying a comp is not an authentic release.

What I can agree with is a unique artist or an artist who did masterfully create albums... to pull those songs out of context into a best of... does indeed sound off. It does indeed sound cheap and disingenuous. But I'm not sure that's more than 20% of all albums ever released... most albums don't fit that mold. They fit the mold of having individual songs that kind of sound ok together. For the Beatles it didn't happen until Sgt. Pepper and for Radiohead it didn't happen until Ok Computer and for Coldplay it didn't happen until Death and All His Friends... I mean it's not that common is all I'm saying these artists put down a few albums before making a cohesive flowing record where it really did matter because the key of song 1 went beautifully into the key of song 2, etc.

I mentioned the punk thing because to me that's the first time took the whole process of making a record and did it in their basement or garage and a record company played no part (generally speaking... of course there's going to be a dude in 1936 who wrote, produced, recorded, did the artwork, did the prints, pressed his own vinyl, etc.... the point I'm making is there wasn't a whole movement dedicated to it).

Anyway, I'm babbling and splitting hairs. I hope that makes sense to someone. I should really shut my stupid mouth.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/25/2018 13:14
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

Wouldn't Radiohead be called On A Friday or something if it weren't for a record company telling them that's a dumb name?

: -)

sethmadsen wrote:

What I can agree with is a unique artist or an artist who did masterfully create albums... to pull those songs out of context into a best of... does indeed sound off. It does indeed sound cheap and disingenuous. But I'm not sure that's more than 20% of all albums ever released... most albums don't fit that mold. They fit the mold of having individual songs that kind of sound ok together.

Yet any album is a picture in time, with its engineering and production particular wrapping, and simply the recording itself (with its particular place, mood, etc)

sethmadsen wrote:

For the Beatles it didn't happen until Sgt. Pepper and for Radiohead it didn't happen until Ok Computer and for Coldplay it didn't happen until Death and All His Friends... I mean it's not that common is all I'm saying these artists put down a few albums before making a cohesive flowing record where it really did matter because the key of song 1 went beautifully into the key of song 2, etc.

Yeah, with the tracklisting being part of the creation, rather than being decided afterwards
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/25/2018 17:52
  • Post subject:
sethmadsen wrote:

For the Beatles it didn't happen until Sgt. Pepper and for Radiohead it didn't happen until Ok Computer and for Coldplay it didn't happen until Death and All His Friends... I mean it's not that common is all I'm saying these artists put down a few albums before making a cohesive flowing record where it really did matter because the key of song 1 went beautifully into the key of song 2, etc.

Yeah, with the tracklisting being part of the creation, rather than being decided afterwards[/quote]

Absolutely. My full quote said that.

And good point on the mixing and mastering...I think the same is done with a good best of collection. I'm not convinced most artists play a significant role with that anyway.
  • Visit poster's website
Yann

France

• Posted: 07/25/2018 18:46
  • Post subject:
[quote="sethmadsen"]
sethmadsen wrote:

And good point on the mixing and mastering...I think the same is done with a good best of collection. I'm not convinced most artists play a significant role with that anyway.

No, not the mixing and mastering ! : ) I was talking of the production process: choice of the producer (or no producer, which is also a choice), of the studio, artistic direction, "concept" or general idea for the album, atmosphere during the sessions. An album is not a collection of sporadically recorded songs! There is an intention behind it.
A best-of can be very good, but it's by nature dispersed.
  • Visit poster's website
RoundTheBend

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2018 01:09
  • Post subject:
[quote="Yann"]
sethmadsen wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

No, not the mixing and mastering ! : ) I was talking of the production process: choice of the producer (or no producer, which is also a choice), of the studio, artistic direction, "concept" or general idea for the album, atmosphere during the sessions. An album is not a collection of sporadically recorded songs! There is an intention behind it.

Again, my argument is splitting hairs.

An album CAN be exactly as you state. And it CAN be controlled by the artist.

I'm just stating that a studio album isn't ALWAYS like that... and I might wager as much as 50% of studio albums the artist had control over maybe one of the things you mentioned or none, or a couple... but I think it's more rare than we realize than an artist has control over all the aspects of an album at all times.

That's all I'm saying - make sense? Or am I have I totally lost it and being pimped by a record company wasn't/isn't a thing and all artists have full control of all their work at all times?
  • Visit poster's website
bobbyb5

United States

• Posted: 07/26/2018 06:19
  • Post subject:
[quote="sethmadsen"]
Yann wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:
sethmadsen wrote:

Again, my argument is splitting hairs.

An album CAN be exactly as you state. And it CAN be controlled by the artist.

I'm just stating that a studio album isn't ALWAYS like that... and I might wager as much as 50% of studio albums the artist had control over maybe one of the things you mentioned or none, or a couple... but I think it's more rare than we realize than an artist has control over all the aspects of an album at all times.

That's all I'm saying - make sense? Or am I have I totally lost it and being pimped by a record company wasn't/isn't a thing and all artists have full control of all their work at all times?

I've come to the conclusion that a good album is mostly the result of luck. Everything just happened to go right, and everything that could have gone wrong didn't. An artist having complete control over their album isn't more likely to end up in a good album. More often than not it's the other way around. But at the same time, having your album produced by a renowned and successful super- talented producer with help from super- talented outside musicians is no guarantee you'll end up with a good album either. It's all luck.
  • Visit poster's website
Liedzeit

Germany

• Posted: 07/28/2018 14:49
  • Post subject:
Short answer: It is cheating.

Long answer: It depends. I made an exception in my chart in including this.

Andy Warhol's Velvet Underground Featur...nderground

I lived with this record for more than 20 years without knowing it was a compilation and it seemed somehow ridiculous to leave it out.

Then there are live recordings. Which very often are compilations in disguise. And I included a couple. But while I love John Denver live I cannot stand his studio records. To a lesser extent same with David Essex for example.

And somehow it feels silly to leave out Best ofs of Detroit Spinners, Lovin’ Spoonful, The Monkees, Chi-Lites to name a few. All of them gave me much more pleasure than some of the records I did include. The reason I decided against them is I would not know where to stop. Because if it were only for pleasure I would have to include also Samplers. Like this one.

K-Tel's Music Power by Various Artists

I loved this and similar records. Track for track listening to it makes me feel young and joyful. But I would find it obscene to include this in my chart. Because I believe that an LP is a piece of art, and not just a collection of songs. A good LP should have some "fillers". They have the genuine purpose to make great tracks sound even better. Of course, it is a pity that leaves out single artists, like my favourite singer Del Shannon. I do not possess one non-compilation album by him. And I do not feel I do him wrong. He would be number 1 in my list of favourite singers (well maybe #2) but not make my chart.