You must listen to the album below you: canon edition

Goto page Previous  123 ... 413414415 ... 444445446  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote

Wild Gift by X

I didn't like this as much as Los Angeles. I do like the overall style with the contrasting smooth male/rough female vocals, but after the first few songs it all felt a bit too samey, and the songs just weren't interesting me much. Consistent though, with no highs or lows really, but I think when it comes to punk rock this is maybe just not wild enough for me to want to come back to and listen again. Despite how my comments might sound I still think it's a good album for its time and I give it a low 7.5/10, and rank it at 32/34 for 1981.




Again I'm shying away from the more extreme metal picks (you need someone else to pick for you for that :D) so I'm going with Document #8 by pageninetynine


Document #8 by pageninetynine




Top 35 Music Albums of 1981 by Mercury (4 picks left)

9. Signals, Calls, And Marches by Mission Of Burma
11. Minor Threat (EP) by Minor Threat
13. As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls by Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays
14. Homosapien by Pete Shelley
16. Living In Darkness by Agent Orange
17. Juju by Siouxsie And The Banshees
19. Never Too Much by Luther Vandross
20. October by U2
21. Songs Of Pain by Daniel Johnston
22. Psychedelic Jungle by The Cramps
  • Quote
(1)

Acts Of God by Immolation
Pretty sick death metal record. Similar to what they're usually doing, which is the biggest complaint I have. A bit samey and not exciting enough in the grand scheme of things, and Immolation have also had better written albums (for reference, this is the 4th album I've heard). Those few minor complaints aside, this whole record kicks ass. The gnarly vocals, slightly off-kilter riffs, insane drum work - everything you'd want from a pure death metal record, and more. I'm guessing this has replay value as well, as there's layers to these songs. All in all, glad I got round to it. 7.5/10

(2)
Oh man, I cannot skip Living In Darknes. It's one of my favourite punk albums. Short, sweet, full of teen angst, fun as hell.

(3)
2021 and 2022

Plebeian Grandstand - Rien ne suffit
Sadness - _____
--
40 Watt Sun - Perfect Light
Molly Nilsson - Extreme
宇多田光 [Hikaru Utada] - Bad モード [Bad Mode]
Trentemøller - Memoria
Cities Aviv - Man Plays the Horn
Ode and Elegy - Ode and Elegy
Conway the Machine - God Don't Make Mistakes
caroline - caroline
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:


(2)
Oh man, I cannot skip Living In Darkness. It's one of my favourite punk albums. Short, sweet, full of teen angst, fun as hell.



Hell yeah!!! One of my favorite punk albums of all time! \m/
  • Quote
1.


Document #8 by pageninetynine

Okay, I get not really beingi nto Grind and wanting to nominate things you have a bit more love for. It just so happens this is a pretty damn extreme screamo album, so it is a nice appetizer for other more absurd stuff like Nasum. Anyway, where next?...

Okay, so this is as I said an extreme screamo bordering on emoviolence album from a pretty iconic screamo band. This is punk as hell, abrasive, emotive, with some surprisingly sick playing as well. These folks can play the shit out of their instruments and, as the opening sample spoken word mentions, this is good and full of passion. So it works.

It's 27 minutes of pretty cool and passionate stuff. I can't say I loved it. Perhaps I just wasn't in the right frame of mind to appreciate it and at times the guitars and the drums were a bit TOO clattery and messy. And the screamo vocals, while being damn great and exemplary for the style, were rubbing me the wrong way while I listened to this a couple times yesterday.

Still, if you like emocore or emo or screamo or post hardcore or or or ... you should check this out if you haven't already as it is some of the most viscerally passionate and intense shit that I have heard within that umbrella of related genres. There is a bit of a screamo revival happening the last couple years and I have heard a lot of those more recent albums and generally liked them a lot (hell just last year one of my fave albums was the new Dreamwell), so it was great hearing one of the older and very influential bands and albums in that genre's history.

-------------------------

@LedZep, glad you liked that Immolation. Agree with you that it isn't brand new or boundary pushing by any means. I'm still Waiting for this years answer to Imperative Imperceptible Impulse or Stare Into Death and Be Still... but for this band to still have this level of badassery in them after 34 years is mind blowing!

Now for you next album... I started listening to this and liked it and then got distracted away. (will return again soon)...


God Don't Make Mistakes by Conway The Machine

gritty as hell.
------------------------

3.

CHANGE! I am going to change it again and focus on some extreme stuff I have been meaning to hear.


Top ranked Grindcore, Deathgrind, and maybe some other stuff that I have already heard but just haven't given enough time and attention to. or have never heard.


1. Never by Think Again/2012 (A cool looking Japanese hardcore album... its on youtube and looks cool.)

2. Sadness Will Prevail by Today Is The Day/2002 (2+ hour experimental and abrasive album with a life crushing mix of noise, sludge, crusty punk, grindcore, avant garde metal etc... I have a feeling this could be an all time favorite once I really confront it and listen closely and dissect.)

3. Human 2.0 by Nasum/2000 (I love me some Nasum. Never heard this LP though. They were one of the great grindcore bands of all time when it came to a sad end in 2003)

4. World Extermination by Insect Warfare/2007 (Very intense and cool grindcore/deathgrind stuff... something of a modern classic of the genre that I have yet to really give a close listen to or enough time to. I am interested in diving in again. Also, silly, but I like how the title of the album is similar to one of the best albums ever also within the same genre - World Downfall by Terrorizer.)

5. Mental Hygiene by Internal Rot/2014 (Excellent grindcore album that I listened to a couple times and never gave or really formulated my thoughts on.)

6. Using Sickness As A Hero by Human Remains/1996 (I am not sure how I didn't know this existed until recently. A grindcore meets Tech death album that is absurdly gnotty and mathy and wildly aggressive, with the lead singer of Death, 31 minute EP... etc etc... this is right up my alley. Started listening recently and its fucking nuts.))

7. Tanz, Grosny, Tanz... by Yacøpsæ/2007 (German Powerviolence and Grindcore with a a cool album cover and probably something I'll need to add to database but we shall see... it looks fucking awesome.

8. Misery Index by Assück/1997 (Of all the grindcore greats, Assück is perhaps the one I have least connected with SO FAR. I liked this and their 1992 album well enough when I heard 'em. But I moved on and I feel I need to give these folks their time.)

9. Sweatin' to the Oldies by SPAZZ/1997 (this is a compilation of some crazy grindy powerviolence insanity from SPAZZ. It's 64 songs in 55 minutes! Jiminy cricket!)

10. Lobotomise by Incinerated/2017 (Kind of a new record! verrrryyyy tricky! Anyway this looks intense. A mix a death metal and grindcore and deathgrind and stuff with brutal cover art. Could be cool)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote

Living In Darkness by Agent Orange

Somehow I have never comes across this band before, yet it's just y sort of thing. This was some very good melodic surf punk. Loved the cover of Dick Dale's Miserlou. Great raw energy and I loved the vocals. All over in under 20 minutes too, so no time to get bored, and no time for any filler tracks - just all kick ass fun. The lyrics seem like something to get into further with repeated listens as well. I look forward to listening to this again. 8/10, and 19/35 for the year.




Going to go with Never by Think Again this time.


Never by Think Again




Top 35 Music Albums of 1981 by Mercury (3 picks left)

9. Signals, Calls, And Marches by Mission Of Burma
11. Minor Threat (EP) by Minor Threat
13. As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls by Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays
14. Homosapien by Pete Shelley
17. Juju by Siouxsie And The Banshees
19. Never Too Much by Luther Vandross
20. October by U2
21. Songs Of Pain by Daniel Johnston
22. Psychedelic Jungle by The Cramps
23. Adolescents by Adolescents
  • Quote
1.


Never by Think Again

This is a pretty kickass 22 minute japanese hardcore album. The star of the show is the vocals, both when solo and especially when the group screams and shouts come in (which is often). The bass work is cool and surprisingly accentuated. The riffs are basically a non-stop barrage of hardcore punk energy. The drumming is cool. The whole album is just super SUPER high energy and very pissed off and crusty. And the guitarist even manages to fit in some red hot solos into the album.

Overall, this was cool. I haven't explored Japanese Hardcore before and I think I maybe will now based off this album. I don't understand a word of it as I don't speak the language and even if I did I never understand the lyrics when shouted or screamed. But I can FEEL the passion here.

It is a bit one note (as can be expected from hardcore punk) and the production is perhaps a bit too muddy and not quite as defined as I would like it - like it doesn'yt have much punch. This can also be expected from an underground hardcore punk album. So, not a masterpiece in my opinion. But every instrument and member of the band shines at times here and I enjoyed it.

-------------------------

@Purplepash, this is cool and I think this was the first album I added to the database back in 2013 or so. It's been awhile since I heard it. The title track is a good one. Shelley you may know from The Buzzcocks.


Homosapien by Pete Shelley
------------------------

3.

CHANGE! I am going to change it again and focus on some extreme stuff I have been meaning to hear.


Top ranked Grindcore, Deathgrind, and maybe some other stuff that I have already heard but just haven't given enough time and attention to. or have never heard.


1. Dogma by Asterisk*/2003 (extremely noisy grindcore, mixed with some avant garde stuff and lots of noise bits which is cool. Alos, a compilatiopn it seems including an LP and other stuff released as EPs I think?)

2. Sadness Will Prevail by Today Is The Day/2002 (2+ hour experimental and abrasive album with a life crushing mix of noise, sludge, crusty punk, grindcore, avant garde metal etc... I have a feeling this could be an all time favorite once I really confront it and listen closely and dissect.)

3. Human 2.0 by Nasum/2000 (I love me some Nasum. Never heard this LP though. They were one of the great grindcore bands of all time when it came to a sad end in 2003)

4. World Extermination by Insect Warfare/2007 (Very intense and cool grindcore/deathgrind stuff... something of a modern classic of the genre that I have yet to really give a close listen to or enough time to. I am interested in diving in again. Also, silly, but I like how the title of the album is similar to one of the best albums ever also within the same genre - World Downfall by Terrorizer.)

5. Mental Hygiene by Internal Rot/2014 (Excellent grindcore album that I listened to a couple times and never gave or really formulated my thoughts on.)

6. Using Sickness As A Hero by Human Remains/1996 (I am not sure how I didn't know this existed until recently. A grindcore meets Tech death album that is absurdly gnotty and mathy and wildly aggressive, with the lead singer of Death, 31 minute EP... etc etc... this is right up my alley. Started listening recently and its fucking nuts.))

7. Tanz, Grosny, Tanz... by Yacøpsæ/2007 (German Powerviolence and Grindcore with a a cool album cover and probably something I'll need to add to database but we shall see... it looks fucking awesome.

8. Misery Index by Assück/1997 (Of all the grindcore greats, Assück is perhaps the one I have least connected with SO FAR. I liked this and their 1992 album well enough when I heard 'em. But I moved on and I feel I need to give these folks their time.)

9. Sweatin' to the Oldies by SPAZZ/1997 (this is a compilation of some crazy grindy powerviolence insanity from SPAZZ. It's 64 songs in 55 minutes! Jiminy cricket!)

10. Lobotomise by Incinerated/2017 (Kind of a new record! verrrryyyy tricky! Anyway this looks intense. A mix a death metal and grindcore and deathgrind and stuff with brutal cover art. Could be cool)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote

Homosapien by Pete Shelley

Homosapien, the single, was a huge hit here in Australia, reaching #4 in the charts, and this was at a time I was getting into the top 40. I loved it and listened to it a lot. So Homosapien was the first I heard of Pete Shelly, not knowing anything about the Buzzcocks until later. So I was definitely curious to hear the whole album now. And while seemingly mostly ignored or overlooked this is actually a treat of an album. The distinctive vocals of Pete Shelley set it apart from other synthpop artists of the time with their "nice" vocals. And he knows how to write pleasing and interesting tunes. With some great vocal performances, a little bit of cool guitar action going on here and there, and the new wave element, it really is an enjoyable listen and more than just a curio. Cool pick, glad I got to hear it. I give it a moderate 8/10, and 22/36.




Have a go at Using Sickness As A Hero by Human Remains.


Using Sickness As A Hero by Human Remains




Top 35 Music Albums of 1981 by Mercury (2 picks left)

9. Signals, Calls, And Marches by Mission Of Burma
11. Minor Threat (EP) by Minor Threat
13. As Falls Wichita, So Falls Wichita Falls by Pat Metheny & Lyle Mays
17. Juju by Siouxsie And The Banshees
19. Never Too Much by Luther Vandross
20. October by U2
21. Songs Of Pain by Daniel Johnston
22. Psychedelic Jungle by The Cramps
23. Adolescents by Adolescents
25. Solid Gold by Gang Of Four
  • Quote
(1)

God Don't Make Mistakes by Conway The Machine
Brrrrr. This is great. And I mean, like really really great. One of the best Griselda releases. Better than Conway's last. It's fun, goes hard, has several standout tracks, but even the "ordinary" album cuts are excellent. Consistently immaculate production, no matter the producer. Conway himself is an integral part of course, he owns each and every song and is the glue guy. The features are mostly fire, it was particularly cool to see several big names in Rick Ross and Lil Wayne on the cut Tear Gas. I don't have anything negative to say, the only thing I need right now is a focused listen while looking at the lyrics to pick up the details. Love this. High 8.5/10

(2)
There's definitely more than 2 I'd like to pick here heh. But let's go with Juju right now, not my favourite Siouxsie, but a certified classic, and rightfully so.

(3)
Here's a new mumbo jumbo list, with the addition of 2022 albums. Just to mix it up a bit, but I'll try to have 2-4 2022 albums here at all times.

George Clinton - Computer Games
A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms...
Virgo - Virgo (the Chicago house one)
Buffalo - Volcanic Rock
The Bats - Daddy's Highway
The Sound - Jeopardy
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
40 Watt Sun - Perfect Light
Cities Aviv - Man Plays the Horn
Ode and Elegy - Ode and Elegy
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
1.


Using Sickness As A Hero by Human Remains

Well, these 7 songs over 17 or so minutes has something for the whole family. If you like Death and Chuck's absolutely iconic vocals so full of pain and rage, you'll get a kick out of hearing him over tracks that are very different than anything on Symbolic released just a year earlier. If you like the absurd drumming of Dave Witte of Discordance Axis fame or if you've heard the Inalienable Dreamless and thought "shit that is some insane drum work, wonder what that beast would sound like over knotty, mathy, avant-death and grind?" well this will be a fascianting treat for you. If you like super speed racer grindcore, this is, again, something of interest to you. If you like Avant garde metal where the compositions are often times so gnarly and unorthodox you have a hard time finding the groove or rhyme-and-reason to the music, you guessed it, this is for you. And if you like Mathy and dense Converge-like stuff, maybe this will also scratch that itch. Agan, all within 16-17 minutes. It's wild man.

I liked this a lot. It was easy to listen to half a dozen times rather than 1 or 2 times because of its length. Also something kept making me want to listen again. I suppose it was because at the end of each play through I felt like I hadn't really come to grips with any of the music. This is interesting and a bit of a bad thing in my opinion. The grooves and songs here elude my understanding. The DNA of all these all time favorites of mine are right here in this EP and yet I can't find anything here that really raises it above the associated music. Chuck Schuldiner is such an icon and this was right in the middle of his boundary-pushing peak, that it is impossible not to be at least a little fascinated by this nugget of avant garde nastiness, right?

Anyway, I don't have much of substance to say. This is a cool little EP and I bet fans of Death or Discordance Axis will get more out of it than me on average. This is just extremely dense and mathematical and wild and adorned and it is crazy how technical and aggressive it is at the same time. On songs like "Swollen" there are actually some sick riffs and grooves, and after 6 listens I am hearing more of the details and the beauty contained in this stew of sounds. So in real time I am starting to get some slight handle on this bad boy. 3-3.5/5

-------------------------

@LedZep, glad you loved that Conway album. I've yet to return to it. You have moved it back on my radar. It and the new Hval will be on my to-do for today and tomorrow.

as for what I choose for you next... let's go with:


Jeopardy by The Sound

never heard this one but it looks cool and its a great post punk classic or so I have heard.
------------------------

3.

CHANGE! I am going to change it again and focus on some extreme stuff I have been meaning to hear.


Top ranked Grindcore, Deathgrind, and maybe some other stuff that I have already heard but just haven't given enough time and attention to. or have never heard.


1. Dogma by Asterisk*/2003 (extremely noisy grindcore, mixed with some avant garde stuff and lots of noise bits which is cool. Alos, a compilatiopn it seems including an LP and other stuff released as EPs I think?)

2. Sadness Will Prevail by Today Is The Day/2002 (2+ hour experimental and abrasive album with a life crushing mix of noise, sludge, crusty punk, grindcore, avant garde metal etc... I have a feeling this could be an all time favorite once I really confront it and listen closely and dissect.)

3. Human 2.0 by Nasum/2000 (I love me some Nasum. Never heard this LP though. They were one of the great grindcore bands of all time when it came to a sad end in 2003)

4. World Extermination by Insect Warfare/2007 (Very intense and cool grindcore/deathgrind stuff... something of a modern classic of the genre that I have yet to really give a close listen to or enough time to. I am interested in diving in again. Also, silly, but I like how the title of the album is similar to one of the best albums ever also within the same genre - World Downfall by Terrorizer.)

5. Mental Hygiene by Internal Rot/2014 (Excellent grindcore album that I listened to a couple times and never gave or really formulated my thoughts on.)

6. Death by Manipulation by Napalm Death/1991 (This 1991 compilation includes some EPs that ND released after their first 2 Grindcore albums and before their next LP which was quite different. This is some classic classic, bedrock death metal and grindcore and deathgrind. Kind of wanted to listen to the EP Mentally Murdered but saw that it and others are included on this 44 minute compilation.

7. Tanz, Grosny, Tanz... by Yacøpsæ/2007 (German Powerviolence and Grindcore with a a cool album cover and probably something I'll need to add to database but we shall see... it looks fucking awesome.

8. Misery Index by Assück/1997 (Of all the grindcore greats, Assück is perhaps the one I have least connected with SO FAR. I liked this and their 1992 album well enough when I heard 'em. But I moved on and I feel I need to give these folks their time.)

9. Sweatin' to the Oldies by SPAZZ/1997 (this is a compilation of some crazy grindy powerviolence insanity from SPAZZ. It's 64 songs in 55 minutes! Jiminy cricket!)

10. Lobotomise by Incinerated/2017 (Kind of a new record! verrrryyyy tricky! Anyway this looks intense. A mix a death metal and grindcore and deathgrind and stuff with brutal cover art. Could be cool)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
(1)

Jeopardy by The Sound
Reminded me a lot of Magazine at first, but the more I listened, the more it seemed like The Sound have carved their own unique sound (heh). It's punky, energetic, a bit on the art rock side at times, but the synths and pop sensibilities are always there as well. The best of both worlds. I wouldn't put this quite on the same level as Magazine's debut, but I loved these songs a lot, and the overall style even more. The first three tracks, Missiles, Jeopardy... All great cuts, and there's more of them, this is just the tip of the iceberg. Recommend to all the people obsessed with punky new wave-ish stuff. 8/10

(2)
I don't think I've heard a full Assück release, but they're in the same bucket as Repulsion, Downfall, Carcass, etc. An important band, and one you'll likely dig, Mercury.

(3)
Mixed + 2022

George Clinton - Computer Games
A Silver Mt. Zion - He Has Left Us Alone But Shafts Of Light Sometimes Grace The Corner Of Our Rooms...
Virgo - Virgo (the Chicago house one)
Buffalo - Volcanic Rock
The Bats - Daddy's Highway
Demolition Hammer - Epidemic of Violence
Pentagle - Basket of Light
40 Watt Sun - Perfect Light
Cities Aviv - Man Plays the Horn
Ode and Elegy - Ode and Elegy
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 413414415 ... 444445446  Next
Page 414 of 446


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: What album are you listening to? (cont.) albummaster Music
You must listen to the album below you. Guest Music
You must watch the movie below you. Guest Movies & TV
You must listen to the album above you mickilennial Music
The Definative "Indie" Anth... Wombi Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.