Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  123 ... 104105106 ... 149150151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
My rankings would probably be...

๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
1. Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality
2. BS - self-titled
3. Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
4. Iron Maiden - Killers
5. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
6. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
7. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
========================================================
๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
8. Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
9. Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla

Love 'em all!
  • Quote
Repo wrote:
My rankings would probably be...

๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
1. Black Sabbath - Masters of Reality
2. BS - self-titled
3. Judas Priest - Sad Wings Of Destiny
4. Iron Maiden - Killers
5. Judas Priest - Sin After Sin
6. Iron Maiden - Iron Maiden
7. Black Sabbath - Paranoid
========================================================
๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
8. Iron Maiden - Number Of The Beast
9. Judas Priest - Rocka Rolla

Love 'em all!


cool ranking and rating. I'm glad we share a strong love for Sad Wings... and bummer on Masters of Reality. I just don't hear it. I have tried. I have tried like half a dozen times over the decades. I have each time come away from MoR feeling like something was off. It was only this most recent try where I expressed my opinion. I have had my love affair with their debut, Paranoid and Vol 4 but never yet Masters of Reality. It's the vocals, the way Ozzy sounds on these anthemic parts, that most bums. Followed by the songwriting. Followed by the second track as well as the trio of acoustic tracks. I will admit the guitars sound better and the riff game is just about as great as I've heard it and I realize this album and the insanely heavy sound of it influenced more bands than just about any hard rock or metal album ever. Just not fully my thing.

Interesting seeing your love of, but less so, of The Number of the Beast. I know you adore those Di'Anno albums, and your mention of their greatness is a major inspiration for me doing these deep dives. But do you feel that the Dickinson albums are slightly inferior to the early more punk energy albums generally or is there some Dickinson albums you would put up there alongside self-titled and Killers?

Also, yeah, I am happy you popped in. You are the main person I think of whenever I hear any 70s or 80s hard rock or metal record. Again, your enthusiasm over the year had a big influence on this project.

I've started the 4th album listening and its great. Love all 3 albums. I think this will be my favorite set of 3 albums yet.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:


Interesting seeing your love of, but less so, of The Number of the Beast. I know you adore those Di'Anno albums, and your mention of their greatness is a major inspiration for me doing these deep dives. But do you feel that the Dickinson albums are slightly inferior to the early more punk energy albums generally or is there some Dickinson albums you would put up there alongside self-titled and Killers?


For me, Number of The Beast is a transitional album for Maiden. It's still a first wave Iron Maiden album but with Bruce on vocals. PLUS, it had a few clunkers such as "Invaders". That songs just not great. Iron Maiden would perfect their new sound on Piece Of Mind and Powerslave. To me, those are the two key albums of Bruce's reign.

So if I was ranking Maiden's 80s albums it would look like this...

๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
1. Killers
2. Piece Of Mind
3. Iron Maiden
4. Powerslave
==========================================
๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
5. Number Of The Beast
6. Somewhere In Time
7. Seventh Son (Just not the biggest fan of proggy Maiden. I do prefer their early Punk influenced years. And yes, Steve, your early albums were influenced by punk FOR THE BETTER! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ )
  • Quote
Repo wrote:


For me, Number of The Beast is a transitional album for Maiden. It's still a first wave Iron Maiden album but with Bruce on vocals. PLUS, it had a few clunkers such as "Invaders". That songs just not great. Iron Maiden would perfect their new sound on Piece Of Mind and Powerslave. To me, those are the two key albums of Bruce's reign.

So if I was ranking Maiden's 80s albums it would look like this...

๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
1. Killers
2. Piece Of Mind
3. Iron Maiden
4. Powerslave
==========================================
๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ
5. Number Of The Beast
6. Somewhere In Time
7. Seventh Son (Just not the biggest fan of proggy Maiden. I do prefer their early Punk influenced years. And yes, Steve, your early albums were influenced by punk FOR THE BETTER! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ )


Well, first off your ranks are really making me think/guess that I undersold Killers. Iโ€™m thinking when I get to about album 12 by these legends I will take a look at the albums I did and do some revisiting where I feel revisiting is needed. Killers will be on that list. As will rocka rolla. Maybe I will do that even sooner. Basically each group has 17, 18 or 19 studio albums. So they are similar enough discord that I can listen in almost perfect unison. Also plan on doing some classic live albums later to fill in the gap between Sabbathโ€™s 19 albums and Priest and Maidenโ€™s 18 and 17.

Next, I am glad you agree with me on โ€œInvadersโ€. It does feel like the whole album is a bit transitional. I like to love it. But as I listen to Piece of Mind in prep for writing a comment for this diary I am finally getting it and hearing that the band is tighter and more focused on their second (and I assume third) Dickinson albums.

I was thinking of adding Motรถrhead to this roster. But they have considerably more albums and I just feel like there is a nice symmetry and beauty to these 3 as the trio I do deep dives on for the next months. Maybe if and when I complete this Sabbath/Priest/Maiden deep dive I will do something with Motรถrhead and 2 or 3 other hard rock/metal legends.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Random update: since writing many pages back about how I wanted to explore Metal of various kinds and, maybe, find some new favorites (close to me heart, like favorite favorites yโ€™know) I have spent a good amount of time listening to various classic and more recent metal albums. I no longer am just curious about this stuff but actually am becoming a big fan of a lot of these styles and artists and albums.

Yesterday I did an update of my overall chart. Pretty major, kind of completely reorganized it. Took off and replaced 40% to 50% of it. And a lot of the new additions have been recent metal albums. Also that Canon game has been big fun and has opened me up to some really awesome albums Iโ€™ve been avoiding or not getting into over the years for some reason.

As of now I think these are the absolute greatest fucking metal albums (of any kind) that Iโ€™ve heard - the top tier favorites of all time.

1.

Reign In Blood by Slayer
(And Seasons in the Abyss. Lower than RiB but also a top 10-15 metal album and on my overall)

2.

Through Silver In Blood by Neurosis
(This has finally sort of taken over my soul. I am not fighting it anymore. This is amazing.)

3.

Prowler In The Yard by Pig Destroyer
(Best Grindcore that I have heard. Pure excellence.)

4.

Like An Ever Flowing Stream by Dismember
(This is the coolest death metal album and SOUND Iโ€™ve heard. It sounds so Fucking awesome! The drums! The riffs! How?!?!

5.

Dead As Dreams by Weakling
(Super dark black metal with cool prog aspects that just never fails to blow me away.)

6.

Leviathan by Mastodon
(And Crack the Skye. Not as great to me as Leviathan, but still top 10-15 metal albums. This was another album that kind of came out of nowhere and blew my mind after I thought it just wasnโ€™t my thing.)

7.

Master Of Puppets by Metallica
(Not much to say. I canโ€™t get over how influential this album has been for me the last 20 years. Absolute classic)

8.

Leprosy by Death (Metal)
(For awhile this was the only death metal I liked. And I really liked it. Recently revisited it after exploring more DM and holy shit! Itโ€™s the best OSDM album there is - dismember in theory is OSDM but I donโ€™t know, it doesnโ€™t feel old school).

9.

Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk by Emperor
(Just such a beautiful, epic, emotionally stirring, symphonic, Black Metal album. Loved it instantly)

10.

Sad Wings Of Destiny by Judas Priest
(This one never gets old. Beat early heavy metal - pre thrash - that Iโ€™ve ever heard. Followed closely byโ€ฆ

11.

Vol 4 by Black Sabbath
(My favorite Sabbath album.)

12.

Voices by Wormrot
(Recently fell in love with this sharp, technically sound, insane grindy Grindcore album with elements of I guess death metal and crusty punk. I like it. I love it a lot.)

13.

NOLA by Down
(Recently listened again and it holds up as just a top to bottom heavy metal/southern metal/sludge metal masterpiece.)

14.

Unsilent Death by Nails
(Maybe somehow and against all odds with some major competition, the loudest and heaviest album on this list of overall chart worthy favorites of mine. Power violence and Grindcore at its hardest and meanest.)

15.

Interstice by Knoll
(Ooh a new 2021 record, very very tricky! Yeah I love this. This and Jubilee by Japanese Breakfast and Songs by Lenker have been the 3 albums on heaviest rotation this year. By a mile. And this is just noisy, gross, heavy, aggressive and intoxicating and hellish Grindcore. I adore it).

โ€”โ€”โ€”โ€”

There are a few dozen others I really really like or even love that just donโ€™t quite meet the requirements for overall chart worthy or Ryanโ€™s personal all time favorites list.

Anyway, thatโ€™s all I wanted to post for now. Iโ€™ll be posting next Sabbath/Priest/Maiden album comment soon. All of those bandsโ€™ 4th albums are fucking great.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
So I've stopped following the diary page in the last month or so (apart from the short comment or two in kokkinos diary), didn't even know you started the chronological rating thingy again. And missed most of the fun too. Despite all that, the first thing I have to say is I will not tolerate any Master of Reality slander ๐Ÿ˜
This list is so vastly different than mine and yet I love just about everything about it (haven't heard Wormrot yet, but technical death metal is the most up my alley thing ever so I trust you it's great). Completely agree with Dismember, intro and the opening riff on Override of the Overture is still one of my favourite album opening moments ever. A perfect sound and a perfect riff. Sad Wings of Destiny, Anthems... Hell yeah, all 10/10. Interesting Sabbath choice too, have to read the last few pages more closely to figure out why Vol. 4 over everything else.
_________________
Overall chart
Fake overall chart

2020s
  • Quote
LedZep wrote:
So I've stopped following the diary page in the last month or so (apart from the short comment or two in kokkinos diary), didn't even know you started the chronological rating thingy again. And missed most of the fun too.


Yeah, you havenโ€™t missed too much. After perhaps biting off more than I could chew with those 10 (!!!) 1990s artists, I disappeared from here for awhile. I will come back to that I am sure. But now I am having fun with these 3 LEGENDS. And I have my groove back finally.

LedZep wrote:
Despite all that, the first thing I have to say is I will not tolerate any Master of Reality slander ๐Ÿ˜


Lol. Yeah I know. Itโ€™s weird. But not a big fan.


LedZep wrote:
This list is so vastly different than mine and yet I love just about everything about it (haven't heard Wormrot yet, but technical death metal is the most up my alley thing ever so I trust you it's great).


Yeah this is some insane Grindcore first and foremost with the best production the band ever had. They are awesome. From Singapore. Very unique. I loved this album and aesthetic so much I ordered a band t shirt with that cover on it. Itโ€™s awesome.



LedZep wrote:
Completely agree with Dismember, intro and the opening riff on Override of the Overture is still one of my favourite album opening moments ever. A perfect sound and a perfect riff.


Yep. This album isnโ€™t on streaming services (also Dead as Dreams isnโ€™t) and so I had to listen and listen and over and over on YouTube. Itโ€™s so good though that the inconvenience is well
Worth it. Something about how the albums sounds. Iโ€™m no expert on production, but it sounds so absurdly heavy and modern and clean yet dirty - the guitarsโ€ฆ ugh. Itโ€™s sickeningly great. Also has that hardcore punk vibe which is another key to my heart. Heโ€™ll Reign in Blood, Through Silver In Blood, Grindcore, โ€ฆ it seems if there is hardcore punk in the genetics of a metal classic, I am more likely to love it.

LedZep wrote:
Sad Wings of Destiny, Anthems... Hell yeah, all 10/10.


Yeah both are brilliant. My sad wings comment is up as itโ€™s the 2nd Priest album. Iโ€™ve done the first 3 albums of those 3 bands so far.

LedZep wrote:
Interesting Sabbath choice too, have to read the last few pages more closely to figure out why Vol. 4 over everything else.


Yeah I havenโ€™t yet posted albums 4 of this project. Maybe tonight or tomorrow my extended thoughts on Vol 4. But the main thing I think it is is that it was the first album of thereโ€™s that I remember borrowing from the library. It was a tape and I listened and it blew me away. I think early Sabbath is consistently great but maybe the thing that pushes this 4th LP over the others (as of now) is the added nostalgia, and it being the first (or second after Paranoid) that I had heard from them. At the same time I also borrowed a CD copy of Sad Wings of Destiny funnily enough. I may have borrowed them at the same time and day.

โ€”โ€”โ€”
Anyway, always happy to get your comments. Whenever I write anything about metal the first people I think of are you and Repo. So this project has successfully involved you two, so I am happy. Let me know your thoughts on Voices by Wormrot (and NOLA by Down) whenever you listen or listen again (canโ€™t remember what you said about NOLA months back.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
Black Sabbath's 4th LP

Vol 4 by Black Sabbath

So, this has always been my favorite Sabbath album. Just listened again, and its still great and probably still my fave. This time through I did notice that some of my gripes about MoR are present here as well, just less so or at least less distracting. There are random, non-sequitor little bits of FX and another that is acoustic. There are Ozzy vocals that seem overly in your face and cheesy and too anthemic to be pulled off with his vocals. Still, I adore this album nearly start to finish.

"Supernaut" is arguably the all time greatest metal song, and Sabbath song. Its incredible. Every second of it. The fact that it is followed up with another 5/5 classic in "Snowblind" and then yet again this masterpiece is followed with the weirdly heavy (or heavily weird) and awesome "Cornucopia" is just all the more amazing. This 3 track run is astounding.

The first 2 rockers, "Wheels of Confusion" and "Tomorrow's Dream" are awesome. Especially the long, epic and bluesy first track. Iommi's lead guitar work is still repetitive and simplistic. And still quite refreshing to hear nonetheless. I wish he would learn some new lead guitar techniques already, but this is pretty awesome until he does.

Often times people kinda throw shade at the ballad here "Changes" and, you know what, I understand. It's sappy and silly and a bit much and a bit sacharrine and sad sappy shite in a way. But, I at least feel it SHOULD be that way. But for me it works and I like it and I have since I first heard it as a lad. It wasn't until much later when I started hearing this generally held opinion about "Changes" and it surprised me. Its still great if not particularly suitable for the flow of the album.

"Laguna Sunrise" is my favorite acoustic track, or more chill instrumental in Sabbath's first four albums at least. "FX" is fun and useless. And the penultimate track "St. Vitus" is pretty standard early sabbath goodness. The final track "Under the Sun/..." is a low point and not the best way to end an album this great (has sabbath ever ended an album with a classic GREAT song? edit: coming back to say a day later that Fairies wear boots is pretty awesome.). The main issue I have with the final track is those damn fucking shitting anthemic clear vocal shouts from ozzy that just sounds so goddamn corny.

Anyway, yeah I love this. Maybe not a perfect album. But a damn fine one and easily a 5 emoji album through and through. Final grade: ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿคฌ ๐Ÿคฌ ๐Ÿคฌ (2 twisted and 3 evil, great score. Still waiting for that first 4 twisted and 1 evil grade or, lord help my heart, the first 5 twisted.)

(Edit: coming back to this review some days later, and I see that I said less about this album than the other 2. I was not feeling particularly jazzed or creative when I wrote this initial comment. I assure you I love this one more even than the other 2 great albums here in the 4th round. Hell I have it on my overall chart, and the other 2 aren't really in contention for overall chart inclusion and if I am being honest this Vol 4 album may be bounced from my overall soon. - but anyway, I wanted to come back up and say that before posting this big diary post. Vol 4 is fantastic and its funny that a lot of what I give MoR shit for is here just as much but I like it here much more than on Sabbath's previous album.

-------------------------

Judas Priest's 4th LP

Stained Class by Judas Priest

Right from the jump its clear this album kicks ass. The opener "Exciter" is so over-the-top and yes very much an exciter. The riff is sharp and fast and gnarly. The way the drums comes in to introduce the track and album. The solos are almost painfully sharp in a good way. They just scream as do the Halford vocals. This song kicks ass. And the album follows suit with the tightest and least fluffy or slow album Priest had done to this point. I mean Sin After Sin had a certain bluesy stomp, a certain hard rock feel and style mixed in with the more modern metal mania. Whereas on this album just a little later they just burnt out all those less balls-to-the-wall elements and made the most furious metal album of their career (to this point, and based off what I have heard, this is second only to Painkiller in terms of insane and intense Priest albums).

Fuck this album was recorded in late 1977! But it is so sharp and heavy and morbid and badass. It just sounds like an influential album. I was thinking this before doing a bit of research and finding that this apparently is considered a very influential album on NWOBHM and other metal scenes in the years that followed. You can just feel a certain danger and grit on songs like "White Heat, Red Hot" (what a fucking groove that track has), "Better by You, Better Than Me" (on its face a blues/hard rock banger but with a certain extra punch that pushes it somewhere darker and heavier), "Exciter" (of course, already talked about how that is god tier opener and speedy metal song), "Staned Class" (that song has such a weirdly dangerous atmosphere and it just seems very brooding and intimidating and shit its heavy and damn that solo!), and "Saints In Hell" (with its thunderous riffs and that overbearing drum sound, and that portion where everything briefly drops out and just the drums kick in and the way the guitar sounds evil and the effects on Halford... perfect).

Of course I have to say something about the much acclaimed ballad-turned-shredfest "Beyond the Realms of Death"... its really good. Not my favorite song here or even top 5, but I love the way it builds from that somber classic early-years-priest balladry into this intense thundering metal beast. And that solo... shit. It sounds just as fast and intense and wild as what you may hear on a Thrash album 8 years later. Stunning guitar work there.

"Invader" while being better than Maiden's "Invaders" by a mile, is a bit too silly for me to love just yet. Just a bit. I think it still sounds fabulous and the band rocks but something about the songwriting and lyrics and their delivery takes me out of it a little. "Savage" is also just a good track. Cool and relatively hard rocking. But not quite a standout track here on such a loaded album. "Heroes End" is another cool anthemic hard rocker and its good overall and the only thing that is transcendent is the riff at about the mid way point. Finally, the closer "Fire Burns Below" is weird. The way the drums/percussion sounds is so strange and doesn't fit with any other sound on the record. I kinda like how weird the woozy almost surreal production comes across. But its also something I either have to get used to or I just don't love.

This album is also fascinating as sort of the middle/transition album between the early Priest innovation/metal badassery and their next couple albums (mostly referring to the album I'm most familiar with British Steel) where they started mixing their heavy metal, in-your-face, style with a very accessible hard rock sound that would blow them up to superstars. Last I heard British Steel I didn't like it. So I am not looking forward to returning to it (although maybe I'll like it more with age). There is clearly a little brit steel on here with the catchy "Better by You, Better than Me" and some other catchy and simple anthemic bits. But mostly they lean heavily into the heaviest and most menacing aspects of their early sound on this album. Which makes it awesome and inspiring.

Overall, this is a fabulous, easy 5/5 album. Not perfect and not like my new favorite Priest. But its maybe my go-to heavy, sharp, hype-me-up Priest album (actually its number 2 behind Painkiller for that, still its a a badass and influential and twisted album). This gets a Ryan Metal Grade of... ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ๐Ÿคฌ ๐Ÿคฌ ๐Ÿคฌ (2 twisted, 3 evil. Its proving hard for almost any album to surpass that. Still amazing and top-tier Priest, 70s rock, and metal album).

-------------------------

Iron Maiden's 4th LP

Piece Of Mind by Iron Maiden

For years I slept on this one. When I was 12 or 13 I saved up money and bought a lot of classic metal albums in the months following my discovery of Ride The Lightning. That included 2 and only 2 albums by Maiden, namely, The Number of the Beast and Piece of Mind. The Number of the Beast was the hyped one and the one that seemed to be the classic of the duo, the one that got most of the ink it seemed. As a kid I was mostly just laser focused on their 1982 album and I gave Piece of Mind maybe 1 listen to every 5 or 6 that Number of the Beast got. Unfair. But as a result of sheer familiarity, one of those albums just never clicked and one did (mostly). I never considered either a favorite and I would usually just skip to "Hallowed Be Thy Name" for The Number of the Beast. Of course, the wheel of time turned and I moved very very far away from any Maiden album for a good decade and a half and Piece of Mind remained on my shelf and out of mind.

After listening a couple times, I am starting to think I am with Repo and starting to think this may be a slightly more consistent, tighter, better written album than its predecessor. At least, its equal in most ways. I am not sure if its just that there are enough similarities to the 1982 album while being almost completely new and that makes it refreshing, or is it that the band had an additional year to cement Dickinson into their sound more naturally? Is it the new drummer and the drummer that would lay down the beats for their most classic period of music? Hard to say. But I have come around that outside of a 10 minute Hallowed-sized hole in its tracklist, this is equal and in some ways better as an album than TNotB. Of course I will no doubt go back and forth over and over on this for the rest of my life and "Hallowed Be Thy Name", being the greatest early metal song or tied for the best and the best possible closing track, is a hard disadvantage to overcome even if every other track is 5-10% better (which i'm not sure is the case

Okay, now on this album I'll say something rather than kind of generally tracing my history.

There is one stinker here in my opinion, and that's the one that starts with a sentence with the word Dinosaur in it. That is, let me check, ah yes "Quest for Fire". And the next track "Sun and Steel" is generally pretty mid and features that overplayed Maiden chugging/galloping rhythm that gets tiresome. But at least "Suna nd Steel" has a cool solo.

Outside of those 2, the slower, heavier and more cinematic songs here such as "Revelations" are dope and show the band can do several styles and tempos. The stranger and more unorthodox here "To Tame A Land" and "Still Life" while not my favorites are interesting and again show the band has a nice variety of styles and sounds and can pull em all off.

"Die With Your Boots On" is, amongst the classics here (there are like 4 songs that I seem to hear about enough to call all time classics) my least favorite. But it does have a cool anthemic (and goofy) chorus and a fat fucking riff which is stellar. The band kicks as on that one.

"Flight of Icarus" is dope and epic and fucking makes me wanna get up and go! (do what I don't know.)

But really the 2 songs that seem almost TOO GOOD, and make this album in the running for best Maiden I've heard are the opener, the detailed, brilliant, goddamn perfect opener at that, "Where Eagles Dare" and of course the most exhilarating war themed metal song I've heard "The Trooper". The thing that strikes me about "Where Eagles Dare" is how much is always going on, the bass lines are so active and shifting, the guitars are going in all kinds of excellent soaring directions both rhythmically and melodically and they work so perfectly together. The song just shifts and morphs and builds and all so fast and beautifully. Stunning stuff. Whereas "The Trooper" while still being fueled by a deft, sharp band and having its own dynamic switch ups, it mostly gains its classic status because its so fast and hard charging and unrelenting and the vocals are awesome, the drums and the bass are consistently (and as always in the case of the bass playing) on point and exhilarating and of course the twin guitar madness is as good as it gets. The way they go off and solo is stunning. I love the recurring/main riff and I love the start-stop-start-stop aspect of the song. And although that cliche maiden galloping rhythm guitar is present, its better here than anywhere else on this album. (but seriously I am starting to tire of that little chugga-a-churiff. I hope some of you even know what I am talking about with that classic and consistent Maiden riff.

Overall, I think I may be stuck here. Earlier I was all like "yeah Piece of Mind is a little better than TNotB" now I am thinking I give a slight advantage to this album's predecessor. The combined power of "The Trooper" and "Where Eagles Dare" may give even "Hallowed Be The Name" a run for its money. But there are other great songs on TNotB and perhaps its because I have heard it a lot more, I think there are more Great songs on Maiden's 1982 classic. There are also slight stinkers (but "Quest for Fire" is the lowest song on these 2 albums.)

Anyway, I am sure my opinions will shift and develop but for me, I give this also a 5 emoji, but its the first time you'll see a barely 5 emoji rating where all 5 are evil and none are twisted. Here it is for you to see: ๐Ÿคฌ ๐Ÿคฌ ๐Ÿคฌ ๐Ÿคฌ ๐Ÿคฌ
-------------------------

Okay, and that does it for this set. Loved each album. First time and maybe the only time (we shall see) all 3 bands' albums get 5/5 emojis.
Vol4>Stained Class>Piece of Mind. All great and still my number 1 album by any of these bands through their first 4 is Sad Wings of Destiny

I'll be back soon with the 5th LP in Sabbath's and Priest's and Maiden's discogs. Namely, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath and Killing Machine and Powerslave, OH MY!
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
I'm glad you dug Piece Of Mind. To me this one and ร nd Number of The Beast are their best with a slight preference for the latter: I suppose like you because I listened to that one lots more than to PoM but with another conclusion: it's still my favorite of theirs and I suppose just because of the fact that there is still something of the Di'Anno years in it. To make my point: I even like Invaders. Why Piece of Mind not so much? Well I suppose it's filled with four star tracks and not with five star tracks like on Number of the Beast and that even goes for The Trooper which of course is still a classic. I'm sure you will like the first next albums but I'm curious to hear what you think of their latter albums all the way to Senjutsu (which up to now hasn't made a big impression on me).

As far as Sabbath goes, I swear by the first three albums and the reason why I don't like Vol 4 that much is indeed the reason that you are suggesting: the three slower tracks, FX, Laguna Sunrise and especially Changes drag an otherwise very good album down in my opinion just because of their cheesiness.
  • Quote
dihansse wrote:
I'm glad you dug Piece Of Mind. To me this one and ร nd Number of The Beast are their best with a slight preference for the latter: I suppose like you because I listened to that one lots more than to PoM but with another conclusion: it's still my favorite of theirs and I suppose just because of the fact that there is still something of the Di'Anno years in it. To make my point: I even like Invaders. Why Piece of Mind not so much? Well I suppose it's filled with four star tracks and not with five star tracks like on Number of the Beast and that even goes for The Trooper which of course is still a classic. I'm sure you will like the first next albums but I'm curious to hear what you think of their latter albums all the way to Senjutsu (which up to now hasn't made a big impression on me).

As far as Sabbath goes, I swear by the first three albums and the reason why I don't like Vol 4 that much is indeed the reason that you are suggesting: the three slower tracks, FX, Laguna Sunrise and especially Changes drag an otherwise very good album down in my opinion just because of their cheesiness.


Interesting. I think for now I have landed on the TNotB slightly over PoM. Again, may change. Glad Iโ€™m not alone.

And yes itโ€™s weird how much I love Vol4 compared to MoR. Those may be my only hot takes and controversial opinions I will ever end up saying during the entirety of this Sabbath v Priest v Maiden 20 album project. (Lol probably not. I think I will love some hated albums in the future and hate some loved ones.)
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 104105106 ... 149150151  Next
Page 105 of 151


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
[ Poll ] BYT - G0 - 1980 (Norman) loses to 197... Defago Tournaments
[ Poll ] Q vs. Rocky Skinny Music
[ Poll ] BER Round 1: Ice T vs. A$AP Rocky [CLSD] Guest Tournaments
From the Black Mountain Hills of Dako... RockyRaccoon Music Diaries
[ Poll ] BYT - G0 - 1970 (Rocky) ties with 201... Defago Tournaments

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.