Thanks for providing a link to listen to this. I doubt I would have worked out how to hear it without it. I'm not sure I fully get what it is I'm listening to though. Is it like a DJ set at a party where he is just playing other artists songs, or in this case segments of songs? Admittedly with a theme, and the skill is in choosing what tracks, how they flow after each other and keep the mood and vibe going, and the way they are almost seamlessly put together where it is difficult to hear the exact moment where one song ends and the next starts? If so, then sure, this is done well. But my first problem with this is that I liked a lot of the songs here (but who wouldn't), and playing just a minute or two of each one was like a cruel tease. I want to hear the whole songs. I see there's a playlist on spotify of all these songs in order. I should probably just listen to that instead. Although that goes for three hours. Still would make a decent summer bbq playlist, which I guess is again credit to this mixtape in terms of song selection. Also I love summer and warm weather, and it is the middle of winter here on a cold stormy day...not great timing for this...again a cruel tease ๐คฃ Oh well, that's not the mixtape's fault. Anyway I still had fun with this for what it is. 6.5/10, and 80/100 for 2010.
Yes, it's more or less a DJ mix, with songs mixed into each other to form something seamless, and sometimes also remixed. Meant to soundtrack a bbq, or a block party, or a trip to the beach. Personally I like being able to hear highlights from so many classic songs blended together in a fluid and compact package. Sorry to tease you with it being winter. Personally I often like to listen to summery music when it's winter as a respite, but if that's not the case for you, maybe try again in 6 months? _________________ Join us in the canon game :) / Add me on RYM
MercuryTurn your back on the pay-you-back last callProfile St. Louis
track 1 is a mind bending, slowly disintegrating, super repetitive track that is genius and also if not in right mindset a bit of a bore. i was in mostly the right midnset and i thought it was cool hearing this great simple guitar riff slowly be ripped apart and slowly made out of sync and then disintegrate before my very ears.
Track 2 is a super simple rhythmically track wioth a fucking INCREDIBLE understated long guitar solo. I was surprised how emotionally moved I was. The guitarist for Boris is a beast and she is quickly becoming on of my favorite modern guitarists based off track 2 here and her work on Feedbacker and other limited tracks and albums I've heard. Just stunning, emotive, economical, soulful, excellent all around.
Track 3 is where things gets HEAVY as FUDGE! I love the way it builds and I love that the one vocal part in the whole album was handled so well - would have been a bummer if the one moment the lead singer had to shine was a dud lol. But no its great and it leads right into a thundering, end-opf-days stoner/doomy riff that sounds like some massive elemental force wiping away continents. what a badass tune. Oh and the way the feedback grows and consumes the tracks in the closing minutes sounds like some gateway to a hellish dimension. absolutely apocalyptic!
Track 4 is perhaps the least instantly recognizably unique, its the slowest grower and burner and perhaps the closest to a post rock sounding song of the 4 (based off my limited experience to the genre). But even here in this 20+ minute epic there are some really interesting layers, a beautiful deeply intriguing bass sound and some really cool and shimmering and building guitar textures. Very cool song. Maybe my least fave, but still cool.
Okay, and the album as a whole flows pretty darn well considering how different each of the 4 tracks are. It works as a massive and fascinating epic. 70 minutes, 4 tracks, each quite long and each having some basic premise of hook that they are playing with and each of the basic ideas of the tracks is extrapolated upon and fleshed out into itrs own unique fully realized Piece. Very VERY impressive record. Damn, Boris are amazing, why have I waited so long to try getting into them?
And while this is post rock, that genre is way more expansive than I initially gave it credit for. I mostly was familiar with GY!BE and somewhat similar bands to them, and I thought maybe the genre was not something I loved. This is an album that is largely something you could call post rock but in a whole other, very abstarct or maybe nopt abstract but experimental and I dig it.
-------------------------
2.
@Purplepash, angel olsen is cool and one of the best artists in a long time to come out of my home town of St. Louis...
RYM top 1000 albums which I haven't rated due to never heard 'em or because I can't honestly remember much or anything about the albums. I will take the top 5 I haven't heard or need to revisit plus the bottom 5 of the top 1000 that I haven't heard. Just to spice it up. Some interesting stuff down at #997 and stuff.
The ratio working down and up will usually be 5/5 with that little dividing line indicating where the bottom and the top are divided.
Just albums now. Excluding Classical and any sort of soundtrack or film score.
The asterisk before some albums indicates I have never listened to this album. All of these, including ones with no asterisk, are quite vague and faint in my recollection and need revisits.
I did a new comb through of all the top albums to see if any I rated needed to be revisited. I found just a few that, while I have heard them, its just been soooo long and I have no real clear opinion. So I removed my grades. The top 6 are those albums I must newly tackle. "Must" is wrong word... these are ones I feel I should revisit.
1. Mezzanine by Massive Attack/1998/RYM #104 all time album (I have owned this album for ages. One of the first albums I went and bought when I was a budding music nerd. But its been a long time.)
2. Clube da Esquina by Milton Nascimento & Lรด Borges/1972/RYM #121 all time album (One of those albums that has such a massive reputation and is spoken of in hushed tones. Classic as hell. I have listened to it but I remember littlke and I remember listening with a bit of a "checklist" attitude. Wanna hear this with fresh ears.)
3. Acabou chorare by Novos Baianos/1972/RYM #170 all time album (Another absolute classic MPB album. I recall this genre being one I gravitated toward for a month or so. Its one of the most revered and coolest musical scenes and movements ever. And I remember liking this but that is it. Another 1972 MPB classic that needs revisit.)
4. A Moon Shaped Pool by Radiohead/2016/RYM #205 all time album (Ah yes how clearly I recall the way the world of music nerds went wild when this released. Have maybe gotten through it 2 times. Never really liked it for some reason, but honestly I could use a good close listen. Full disclosure the highest ranked album I felt I needed a revisit on was In Rainbows, but I went ahead and got that out of the way in my own time and I found that I loved it when I thought it was overrated as fuck before the revisit. Maybe this will be the same way.)
5. You Won't Get What You Want by Daughters/2018/RYM #215 all time album (Kinda good timing on this as I believe this was the last 10/10 Fantano gave before recently giving it to Spellling. I remember hearing this and thinking not much of it. I am glad I finally agree with Fantano on something - because Turning Wheel is a brilliant album - but I think I need to give this noise rock album another try.)
6. Here Come The Warm Jets by Eno/1974/RYM #255 all time album (If this is chosen I will also be listening to Before and After Science. Both are a bit or a lot vague in my recollection. Remember thinking this was cool and all but... slightly let down. My Eno love-fest-journey started with listening to Another Green World and Ambient 1 and I ADORED and still adore both. However I never found another album by him that really really even came close. This and BAAS need revisits now that they have a chance to be out of the shadow of those 2 albums mentioned.)
-----------------------bottom 4 albums in top 1000---------------------------
*7. El patio by Triana/1975/RYM #989 all time album (Andalusian Rock influenced by Flamenco (per RYm)??! Now this is what I am talking about! A whole new sphere of music I have never come close to checking out.)
*8. Volume 6: Days Have Gone By by John Fahey/1967/RYM #990 all time album (I like John Fahey and I like American Primitivism - shoutout to Meccalecca i believe who got me into it 6 or 7 years ago more deeply - yet somehow I have never heard or really heard OF this album. Cool.)
*9. Somewhere Along the Highway by Cult of Luna/2006/RYM #996 all time album (Okay, so this is a famous somewhat modern metal album which is atmospheric sludge and I have never heard this all the way through. I may have sampled it when I was trying desperately to find atmo sludge I actually dug a few years back. Oh and the genre "Post Metal" is used to describe this - a possible red flag... we shall see.)
*10. Geraes by Milton Nascimento/1976/RYM #997 all time album (I have never heard this album nor heard OF it. I respect some - maybe only a couple - other Milton Nascimento albums which seem to be more famous. But yeah I always enjoy listening to some MPB legends.) _________________ -Ryan
This is the debut EP from Angel Olsen and showcases her powerful voice. Unfortunately a powerful voice alone (well technically with an acoustic guitar here) is rarely enough for me, and musically I find her a bit dull to be honest. I don't dislike her music, in fact her album All Mirrors wasn't bad at all, but in a genre I don't care for much this EP didn't do much for me. Her cover of Laura Brannigan's Gloria that was released yesterday is really cool though. I dug that a lot. 6/10, and 92/100 for 2010.
Top 100 Music Albums of 2010 by baystateoftheart (last pick)
15. Beach Fossils by Beach Fossils
18. Golden Haze by Wild Nothing
20. Crazy For You by Best Coast
23. Learning by Perfume Genius
26. Clinging To A Scheme by The Radio Dept.
27. Nigeria Afrobeat Special: The New Explosive Sound In 1970's Nigeria by Various Artists
30. Mr. Zone 6 by Gucci Mane
32. Pattern+Grid World by Flying Lotus
34. How I Got Over by The Roots
38. The Brothel by Susanne Sundfรธr
baystateoftheartNeil Young as a butternut squashProfile Massachusetts
I haven't heard the first one, but I least I have the "recap" in the first track, which is a really fun tv trailer parody. "Season Two" is a laidback, jazzy listen with some great beats from Chris Keys. Quelle Chris does his usual thing throughout. He's a talented rapper with a good sense of humor, but doesn't have the charisma or the diversity of flows to fully carry a project. Luckily, there are plenty of guests providing counterpoints, and they are almost all value-added. Merrill Garbus of Tune-Yards is the standout guest, making great contributions to three tracks. There are a handful of standout songs on Innocent Country 2, but mostly this is just a very solid hip-hop record that goes down smoothly. 3.5/5.
~~~~~
2. Apologies in advance for another summery album:
L: Mister Heartbreak - Laurie Anderson
M: Maanam - Maanam*
M2: Zoo Is Sad, People Are Cruel - My Little Airport
M3: Wap Konn Jรฒj! (EP) - Mach-Hommy
N: Dez Anos Depois - Nara Leรฃo
O: R Plus Seven - Oneohtrix Point Never
P: Truckload Of Trouble - The Pastels
R: Only Built 4 Cuban Linxโฆ Pt II - Raekwon
S: Soul Men - Sam & Dave
S2: System Of A Down - System Of A Down
I saw this explode but was doing other music projects. Well deserved explosion. Fantastic energy on the 3rd disc. Dig the beats and synths and such put into it. Solid.
2. Laurie Anderson, Bay
3. Bobert top 100
6. Mr. Misunderstood by Eric Church
8. Anti by Rihanna
11. Astoria by Marianas Trench
12. Purgatory by Tyler Childers
15. Traveller by Chris Stapleton
18. Meteora by Linkin Park
20. What You See Is What You Get by Luke Combs
22. The Weight Of These Wings by Miranda Lambert
27. Magdalene by FKA Twigs
30. After Hours by The Weeknd
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
A nice jangly, dream pop indie pop album, that gave me a vibe a little bit like some of the music I was listening to in the late 80s when jangle pop slowly started to make the first steps towards the later shoegaze phase. But no band in particular from then as this has it's own identity. It had a tone I quite liked and was a really pleasant listen whose downfall is also it's strength - a very consistent sound throughout where no song stands out, either great or bad, it's all good. 7.5/10, and #49 for my top 100 of 2010.
I found Magdalene the most interesting of these that I have heard.
Top 66 Music Albums of 2010 by RoundTheBend (5 picks left)
3. Go by Jรณnsi
7. Tron: Legacy (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) by Daft Punk
8. Doo-Wops And Hooligans by Bruno Mars
9. Omni by Minus The Bear
11. Phosphene Dream by The Black Angels
12. Pickin' Up The Pieces by Fitz And The Tantrums
14. Distant Relatives by Nas & Damian Marley
17. Astro Coast by Surfer Blood
18. Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club
19. How I Got Over by The Roots
Ok so in between 2020 albums and various other stuff, I finally got around to this
1)
I had actually listened to a few in a row from my list, including At San Quentin and Geogaddi since those had been on my wishlist for a while. And then I did go ahead and listen to Jane Doe as well. I'll review both At San Quentin and Jane Doe since those were Purplepash's 1st and 2nd choices.
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
At San Quentin by Johnny Cash
This album is solid, "A Boy Named Sue" is absolutely classic and without the crowd, the song becomes so much less enjoyable. I should clarify that I did like this album, but perhaps my rating system is harsher than usual. 3+/5 typically means that I thought the album was good, whereas below 2.5/5 means I didn't like it. At San Quentin was quite good, but far from Johnny Cash's best. It pales in comparison to At Folsom Prison, even though San Quentin probably has the better set list. In addition to Cash's classics like "Folsom Prison Blues" and "I Walk the Line", he plays a great Dylan cover and his version of "Wreck of the Old 97" is one of the best out there. But overall I just think the recording quality of this album is worse than that of At Folsom Prison, released 1 year earlier.
Thumbnail. Click to enlarge.
Jane Doe by Converge
I had listened to The Dusk in Us by Converge a few years ago since it had good reviews, and I did NOT like it. Post-hardcore has really grown on me in the years since though, but not yet to the point where I feel like I can enjoy it to its full potential. This album is certainly helping me to come around. The 11+ minute closing track was phenomenal from start to finish, and had me looking for more. Easy 3/5, and I'll have to listen again and I'm sure that initial opinion may be bumped up. Also should listen to some more Converge and revisit The Dusk in Us.
3)
RYM Top albums (including live, but not archival)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Rรฉtrospective Vol. 1 & 2 by Magma (live)
- Colors_Live by Between the Buried and Me (live)
- Live by Magma (live)
- At San Quentin by Johnny Cash (live)
- Strangers in the Night by UFO (live)
- Agharta by Miles Davis (live)
- Live at Carnegie Hall by Bill Withers (live)
- Live in San Francisco '16 by King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard (live)
- Minecraft: Volume Alpha by C418 (soundtrack) _________________ 51 Washington, D.C. albums!
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
I'm not sure she got enough trills in. She plays with them well. I'm noticing this push from female artists to strike the goosebumps with really high pitched but AMSResque timbre. They read their wikipedia. Anyway, it was a great listen.
2. Curious what the gizzwizzlizz sounds like live
3. Bobert top 100
6. Mr. Misunderstood by Eric Church
8. Anti by Rihanna
11. Astoria by Marianas Trench
12. Purgatory by Tyler Childers
15. Traveller by Chris Stapleton
18. Meteora by Linkin Park
20. What You See Is What You Get by Luke Combs
22. The Weight Of These Wings by Miranda Lambert
30. After Hours by The Weeknd
31. Rodeo by Travis Scott
Purplepashranker, rater, & music list makerProfile Western Australia
Has it been ten or eleven years already since this movie was released? I haven't seen it so judging this on its own merits. On the one hand it's a fairly decent typical movie score. Lots of sweeping orchestral moments with builds and crescendos and the like, but on the other hand I can't help but be a bit disappointed with this. With the combination of Tron and Daft Punk I was hoping for a more futuristic space-agey type of score rather than the traditional type of score. It took a while, maybe 30 minutes or so, before I heard a piece of music that was identifiably Daft Punk. 6.5/10, and #83 in my top 100 for 2010.
I can't say I've really liked any of these that I've heard but Chris Stapleton's album from last year surprised me with how much I liked it so let's try Traveller which I haven't heard yet.
Top 66 Music Albums of 2010 by RoundTheBend (4 picks left)
3. Go by Jรณnsi
8. Doo-Wops And Hooligans by Bruno Mars
9. Omni by Minus The Bear
11. Phosphene Dream by The Black Angels
12. Pickin' Up The Pieces by Fitz And The Tantrums
14. Distant Relatives by Nas & Damian Marley
17. Astro Coast by Surfer Blood
18. Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club
19. How I Got Over by The Roots
21. Beat The Devil's Tattoo by Black Rebel Motorcycle Club
Live In San Francisco '16 by King Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard
I'm not sure why this is so highly regarded on RYM, it seems like some of their other live albums released in 2020 were better. Though this one is by far the best setlist. Really the only problem is that the recording quality isn't great, which seems...intentional? It's an odd choice given that the band is usually so meticulous about this. In particular, crowd noise localized to a certain point in the theater seems to be very significant, to the point that it feels more like a bootleg than a true concert album. Again, this could be intentional if that sound was desired. But it just doesn't do the trick for me.
That said, KG&tLW are awesome, and this recording from 2016 is probably from one of their best touring periods. I purchased tickets to see them shortly after Infest the Rats' Nest released, and the show was delayed until 2022 due to the pandemic. In the time since, they've released 3 studio albums and 6 live albums, getting close to the productivity of 2017 when they released 5 studio albums. I love the band, and if they sound anything like this live, it'll be an incredible show. Just a little let down by the engineering on this album.
2)
Tourist History by Two Door Cinema Club
I recall enjoying this album, although it's been so long since I've listened to it. Interestingly, their follow-up album Beacon is one of my lowest-rated albums on BEA. Don't let that deter you though, Tourist History is a good bit of indie pop.
3)
RYM Top albums (including live, but not archival)
- Silent Hill 2 by Akira Yamaoka (soundtrack)
- Rรฉtrospective Vol. 1 & 2 by Magma (live)
- Colors_Live by Between the Buried and Me (live)
- Live by Magma (live)
- Strangers in the Night by UFO (live)
- Agharta by Miles Davis (live)
- Live at Carnegie Hall by Bill Withers (live)
- Minecraft: Volume Alpha by C418 (soundtrack)
- Symphonie Nr. 5 [Beethoven] by Wiener Philharmoniker / Carlos Kleiber (classical) {I have not heard Kleiber's version of Beethoven's 5th}
- Theusz Hamtaahk Trilogie by Magma (live) {wow, 3 live Magma albums here} _________________ 51 Washington, D.C. albums!
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum