Another 3 albums of 1986 I listened to:
- Scoundrel Days by a-ha (nr 19 on the overall BEA top chart of 1986)= they're doing their best and some of the album is not too bad but not good enough.
- Victorialand by Cocteau Twins (nr 20): Tilly did his best to sell this album to a wider audience and the Winter Thaws review is brillant and I can also relate to it but I still can't get completely into this band. At some times they sound like shoegaze and even sound a bit like Lush (which I like), but somehow this music doesn't completely connect with me. Perhaps I should give it a bit more listens.
- World Of Echo by Arthur Russell (nr 21): this is certainly a special sound but after a while this album starts to sound uniform and boring.
- Atomizer by Big Black (nr 22): a classic hardcore album I like very much.
The next album to listen to is Somewhere In Time by Iron Maiden.
Again a whole bunch and in fact also my last post for albums of 1986 I listened to:
- Somewhere In Time by Iron Maiden (nr 22 on the overall BEA top chart of 1986): some people call this one of their worst albums. But if you have tracks like Caught Somewhere In Time, Wasted Years and especially Heaven Can Wait assembled on one album, it can't be bad, especially if also the rest of the tracks are at least good.
- Atomizer by Big Black (nr 24): a classic hardcore album with no especially outstanding tracks but overall very good.
- Please by Pet Shop Boys (nr 25): I've got the Disco album of the same and very much like because it has many longer versions of tracks on this album. But this version is also good with especially West End Girl as the major hit and masterpiece at the same time.
- A Kind Of Magic by Queen (nr 26): woow this album is even worse than I thought it would be. The title song is not their best song either but it's ok but the rest just sucks. One of the worst Queen albums ever but there are some more contenders for that prize later in their career.
- Woodface by Crowded House (nr 28 ): their first album and not yet at full force but this is certainly already a classic with Don't Dream It's Over as especially of quality.
- Strange Times by The Chameleons (nr 29): I still think that Script Of The Bridge is my biggest discovery but this album is also good.
- In The Jungle Groove by James Brown (nr 30): although technically a live album I suppose this one can be viewed as a regular album and the long funky songs and jams are overall nice listening. But I'm not really a fan.
- King Of America by The Costello Show Featuring The Attractions And Confederates (nr 31): I'm a fan of this kind of Elvis Costello. Brillant Mistake and Indoor Fireworks are amongst my favorite songs ever and also the rest is good. And as a bonus, while the album is called King of America, the album cover is a bit of a pastiche on a former Belgian King: King Boudewijn.
- Your Funeral... My Trial by Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds (nr 32): one of the few earlier Nick Cave records I hadn't discovered yet and while it could take a while before I really get used to it, it's already a very good one.
- Talking With The Taxman About Poetry by Billy Bragg (nr 34): Greetings To The New Brunette is a great song but the rest of the album is a bit uniform in its sound and delivery to be really good.
- Control by Janet Jackson (nr 35): full of hits but not my thing
- Tango: Zero Hour by Astor Piazzolla (nr 36 and the last album in the top albums of 1986 with an overall BEA score better than 2500): it's certainly not your average tango album and some of the tracks are fairly adventurous but I'm not really a fan of that bandoneon sound.
And this concludes my quest into albums of 1986, in general a good year in rock music in my opinion and I also made some discoveries, but overall 26 albums is not a very big harvest.
Here is the final verdict with the BEA year rank and after that the overall BEA year rank and my personal rank before and after this listening session:
BEA Rank Title By Band BEA YearRank - My Rank before To My Rank after
91 Master Of Puppets By Metallica 2 - 1 To 1
1666 Somewhere In Time By Iron Maiden 22 - To listen To 2
1732 Born Sandy Devotional By The Triffids 23 - 2 To 3
3483 Candy Apple Grey By Hรผsker Dรผ 57 - 3 To 4
126 Graceland By Paul Simon 3 - 5 To 5
21 The Queen Is Dead By The Smiths 1 - 4 To 6
414 Lifes Rich Pageant By R.E.M. 7 - 6 To 7
7765 Kaleidoscope World By The Chills 126 - 7 To 8
39170 Green By Green 529 - 8 To 9
431 Reign In Blood By Slayer 8 - To listen To 10
2035 King Of America By The Costello Show Featuring The Attractions And Confederates 31 - To listen To 11
2862 The Good Earth By The Feelies 45 - 9 To 12
2024 Strange Times By The Chameleons 29 - To listen To 13
652 EVOL By Sonic Youth 10 - 10 To 14
1341 Brotherhood By New Order 18 - To listen To 15
24646 Out Of The Grey By The Dream Syndicate 351 - 11 To 16
1925 Crowded House By Crowded House 28 - To listen To 17
14506 The Asylum Years By Tom Waits 213 - 12 To 18
583 The Colour Of Spring By Talk Talk 9 - To listen To 19
1779 Atomizer By Big Black 24 - To listen To 20
2079 Your Funeral... My Trial By Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds 32 - To listen To 21
392 Skylarking By XTC 5 - To listen To 22
270 So By Peter Gabriel 4 - To listen To 23
1828 Please By Pet Shop Boys 25 - To listen To 24
1924 Infected By The The 27 - 13 To 25
19059 In The Pines By The Triffids 268 - 14 To 26
The next year to discover after skipping another 5 years is 1991.
And here is already my first contribution for albums of 1991, a year I was buying new and old CD's like a madman (of which many not in the BEA top) so I wonder if I will discover any new albums.
Here is the list of albums to discover (ie albums in the overal top 2500) with at the start the overall BEA rank and after that the BEA year rank and then my personal rank before this listening session (or to listen):
BEA Rank Title By Band BEA YearRank - My Rank before
10 Nevermind By Nirvana 1 - 2
26 Loveless By My Bloody Valentine 2 - Already listened
40 Ten By Pearl Jam 3 - 30
76 Achtung Baby By U2 4 - 19
111 Blood Sugar Sex Magik By Red Hot Chili Peppers 5 - To listen
120 Spiderland By Slint 6 - 33
154 Metallica By Metallica 7 - 7
181 The Low End Theory By A Tribe Called Quest 8 - To listen
217 Laughing Stock By Talk Talk 9 - To listen
229 Screamadelica By Primal Scream 10 - To listen
280 Blue Lines By Massive Attack 11 - To listen
456 Out Of Time By R.E.M. 12 - 8
548 Badmotorfinger By Soundgarden 13 - To listen
591 Use Your Illusion II By Guns N' Roses 14 - 29
628 Trompe Le Monde By Pixies 15 - 12
810 Use Your Illusion I By Guns N' Roses 16 - 17
814 Temple Of The Dog By Temple Of The Dog 17 - To listen
821 Gish By The Smashing Pumpkins 18 - 20
839 Dangerous By Michael Jackson 19 - To listen
846 Innuendo By Queen 20 - To listen
852 Yerself Is Steam By Mercury Rev 21 - Already Listened
999 Bandwagonesque By Teenage Fanclub 22 - 9
1008 Woodface By Crowded House 23 - 13
1383 Just For A Day By Slowdive 24 - To listen
1447 Goat By The Jesus Lizard 25 - To listen
1578 Sailing The Seas Of Cheese By Primus 26 - To listen
1618 White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity By Swans 27 - To listen
1670 Foxbase Alpha By Saint Etienne 28 - To listen
1799 Girlfriend By Matthew Sweet 29 - 16
1975 Green Mind By Dinosaur Jr. 30 - 10
1987 Levelling The Land By The Levellers 31 - To listen
2088 Mr. Bungle By Mr. Bungle 32 - To listen
2134 The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld By The Orb 33 - To listen
2188 De La Soul Is Dead By De La Soul 34 - To listen
2220 Mama Said By Lenny Kravitz 35 - To listen
2237 The Real Ramona By Throwing Muses 36 - 32
2246 Into The Great Wide Open By Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 37 - To listen
2275 Leisure By Blur 38 - To listen
2276 The Soul Cages By Sting 39 - 31
2429 Weld By Neil Young And Crazy Horse 40 - Live excluded and already listened
The next album to listen to is Laughing stock, another one of these classic Talk Talk albums I didn't bother to discover in 1991 itself because I thought they hadn't evolved.
A whole pack of albums I listened to of 1991:
- Laughing Stock by Talk Talk (nr 9 on the overall BEA top chart of 1991): and again an album of Talk Talk I really liked. I don't really know why I like it because the plaintive singing is not directly exciting and nor is the music itself but somehow it's great music and there's something surprising or touching in every single track.
- Screamadelica by Primal Scream (nr 10): and this one is supposed to be a classic but not really for me.
- Blue Lines by Massive Attack (nr 11): Unfinished Symphony is a great song but the other tracks of this album didn't appeal that much. I like other triphop artists better than Massive Attack.
- Badmotorfinger by Soundgarden (nr 12): this is one of the better Soundgarden albums and they're doing their best to diversy their music but it's still that same riff-laden but nothing else music I don't really like.
- Temple Of The Dog by Temple Of The Dog (nr 18 ): and as a coincidence another Chris Cornell album and also not my thing.
- Dangerous by Michael Jackson (nr 19): I think he lost it here.
- Innuendo by Queen (nr 20): the last real Queen album and in fact not the worst of their latter albums but they became a bit of a parody of themselves in swollen songs like Innuendo without the genious of their former albums.
- Just For A Day by Slowdive (nr 24): just as Souvlaki I can get into the general sound of Slowdive but the individual track are a bit too mellow and sleepy for my taste.
- Goat by The Jesus Lizard (nr 25): very unsubtle punk music without a lot of musical variety in it.
- Sailing The Seas Of Cheese by Primus (nr 26): interesting base play but Primus has never been my thing
The next album to listen to is White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity by Swans.
- Victorialand by Cocteau Twins (nr 20): Tilly did his best to sell this album to a wider audience and the Winter Thaws review is brillant and I can also relate to it but I still can't get completely into this band. At some times they sound like shoegaze and even sound a bit like Lush (which I like), but somehow this music doesn't completely connect with me. Perhaps I should give it a bit more listens.
thanks for the awesome compliment! ๐
and yeah, it took me a while to get Victorialand as I mentioned in Winter Thaws. Iy's quite different from the rest of their stuff. I LOVE Lush!!! Use to have quite the crush on someone in the band. I forget who now. lol.
And already the last batch of albums of 1991 I listened to:
- White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity by Swans (nr 27 on the overall BEA top chart of 1991): I was very pleasantly surprised by this album and the musical quality of most of the tracks was excellent with no real standouts but overall good.
- Foxbase Alpha by Saint Etienne (nr 28 ): not really my thing
- Levelling The Land by The Levellers (nr 31): I've never been a fan of the Levellers and listening to the full album didn't help that
- Mr. Bungle by Mr. Bungle (nr 32): this Mike Patton album is a bit too chaotic for the sake of being chaotic
- The Orb's Adventures Beyond The Ultraworld by The Orb (nr 33): too long and too muzak like
- De La Soul Is Dead by De La Soul (nr 34): I can't say I'm unfamiliar with this album because many of the tracks were all over the place on the radio at the time. So if there's one album of the genre I could like it's this one: but I don't
- Mama Said by Lenny Kravitz (nr 35): like many people who were going to festivals at the time I sang anf bumped along with the Let Love Rule hits but I didn't really get into the second album of Lenny Kravitz. I can't say it's bad and there are some ok tracks on it but nothing to really excite me.
- Into The Great Wide Open by Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers (nr 37): this is just good rock music, nothing more nothing less but still something for my top chart. I Mostly liked the fairly unknown tracks like You And I Will Meet Again.
- Leisure by Blur (nr 39 and the last regular album of 1991 with an overall BEA rank of better than 2500): this first Blur album is not their best but better than I though so this is the last addition of a 1991 album to my 1991 top chart.
And here is my final personal chart of 1991 after this listening session with at the start the overall BEA rank and after that the BEA year and my personal rank before and after this listening session:
BEA Rank Title By Band BEA YearRank - My Rank before To My Rank after
4610 Ascension By The Aints 77 - 1 To 1
10 Nevermind By Nirvana 1 - 2 To 2
12543 The Word And The Flesh By Band Of Susans 203 - 3 To 3
7690 The Beast Inside By Inspiral Carpets 124 - 4 To 4
12696 Beat Songs By The Blue Aeroplanes 205 - 5 To 5
14836 Blind Love By Ratcat 242 - 6 To 6
156 Metallica By Metallica 7 - 7 To 7
454 Out Of Time By R.E.M. 12 - 8 To 8
1000 Bandwagonesque By Teenage Fanclub 22 - 9 To 9
1975 Green Mind By Dinosaur Jr. 30 - 10 To 10
37694 Bittersweet By Green 605 - 11 To 11
629 Trompe Le Monde By Pixies 15 - 12 To 12
17957 Uncle Anesthesia By Screaming Trees 293 - 14 To 14
42733 The Last Days Of Pompeii By Nova Mob 676 - 15 To 15
1807 Girlfriend By Matthew Sweet 29 - 16 To 16
815 Use Your Illusion I By Guns N' Roses 17 - 17 To 17
2828 Seamonsters By The Wedding Present 44 - 18 To 18
75 Achtung Baby By U2 4 - 19 To 19
810 Gish By The Smashing Pumpkins 16 - 20 To 20
11177 World Outside By The Psychedelic Furs 179 - 21 To 21
1620 White Light From The Mouth Of Infinity By Swans 27 - To listen To 22
3525 III By Sebadoh 57 - 22 To 23
43196 Guilt Regret Embarrassment By Treepeople 683 - 23 To 24
28071 The Ruby Sea By Thin White Rope 462 - 24 To 25
4487 On Every Street By Dire Straits 74 - 25 To 26
47754 Funeral At The Movies By Shudder To Think 752 - 26 To 27
3614 Every Good Boy Deserves Fudge By Mudhoney 60 - 27 To 28
2302 Leisure By Blur 39 - To listen To 29
12118 Why Do Birds Sing? By Violent Femmes 195 - 28 To 30
584 Use Your Illusion II By Guns N' Roses 14 - 29 To 31
40 Ten By Pearl Jam 3 - 30 To 32
2281 The Soul Cages By Sting 38 - 31 To 33
2245 The Real Ramona By Throwing Muses 36 - 32 To 34
2246 Into The Great Wide Open By Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 37 - To listen To 35
119 Spiderland By Slint 6 - 33 To 36
23028 Tin Machine II By Tin Machine 381 - 34 To 37
213 Laughing Stock By Talk Talk 9 - To listen To 38
76576 Kustom Kar Kompetition By La Muerte 1206 - 35 To 39
3382 Road Apples By The Tragically Hip 53 - 36 To 40
78800 Marianne By Poรฉsie Noire 1232 - 37 To 41
2744 Peggy Suicide By Julian Cope 43 - 38 To 42
6365 Everclear By American Music Club 105 - 39 To 43
So not really lots of new albums I discovered.
The next year to explore is 1996 (after skipping another 5 years).
And here is already the new list of 1996 to discover with at the start the BEA overall rank and after that the BEA year rank and my personal rank before this listening session (or to listen):
BEA Rank Title By Band BEA YearRank - My Rank before
103 Pinkerton By Weezer 1 - 10
116 If You're Feeling Sinister By Belle And Sebastian 2 - 4
140 Endtroducing..... By DJ Shadow 3 - To listen
173 Odelay By Beck 4 - To listen
190 Aenima By Tool 5 - To listen
399 Sublime By Sublime 6 - To listen
482 Everything Must Go By Manic Street Preachers 7 - To listen
512 Reasonable Doubt By Jay-Z 8 - To listen
531 Tigermilk By Belle And Sebastian 9 - 7
545 Soundtracks For The Blind By Swans 10 - To listen
594 Murder Ballads By Nick Cave And The Bad Seeds 11 - To listen
619 All Eyez On Me By 2Pac 12 - To listen
669 Richard D. James Album By Aphex Twin 13 - To listen
683 New Adventures In Hi-Fi By R.E.M. 14 - 13
687 ATLiens By OutKast 15 - To listen
698 Beautiful Freak By Eels 16 - 21
708 This Is A Long Drive For Someone With Nothing To Think About By Modest Mouse 17 - 14
778 The Score By Fugees 18 - To listen
805 Long Season By Fishmans 19 - To listen
809 Crash By Dave Matthews Band 20 - To listen
817 On Avery Island By Neutral Milk Hotel 21 - To listen
841 Being There By Wilco 22 - 12
861 Evil Empire By Rage Against The Machine 23 - To listen
881 No Code By Pearl Jam 24 - 38
893 Boys For Pele By Tori Amos 25 - To listen
1018 Fashion Nugget By Cake 26 - To listen
1030 Emperor Tomato Ketchup By Stereolab 27 - To listen
1100 Tidal By Fiona Apple 28 - To listen
1191 In A Bar, Under The Sea By dEUS 29 - 3
1211 Millions Now Living Will Never Die By Tortoise 30 - To listen
1220 Music From The Unrealized Film Script: Dusk At Cubist Castle By The Olivia Tremor Control 31 - To listen
1244 Coming Up By Suede 32 - To listen
1513 Antichrist Superstar By Marilyn Manson 33 - To listen
1539 Yourself Or Someone Like You By Matchbox Twenty 34 - To listen
1546 Moseley Shoals By Ocean Colour Scene 35 - To listen
1571 Signify By Porcupine Tree 36 - To listen
1639 Down On The Upside By Soundgarden 37 - To listen
1712 The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory By Makaveli 38 - To listen
1735 Take It From The Man! By The Brian Jonestown Massacre 39 - To listen
1755 Tiny Music... Songs From The Vatican Gift Shop By Stone Temple Pilots 40 - To listen
1800 Through Silver In Blood By Neurosis 41 - To listen
1806 Placebo By Placebo 42 - To listen
1839 Older By George Michael 44 - To listen
1830 MTV Unplugged By Alice In Chains 43 - Live Excluded
1938 K By Kula Shaker 45 - To listen
1961 Bringing Down The Horse By The Wallflowers 46 - To listen
1962 Dr. Octagonecologyst By Dr. Octagon 47 - To listen
2012 Expecting To Fly By The Bluetones 49 - To listen
1994 Filosofem By Burzum 48 - To listen
2145 Load By Metallica 50 - 36
2167 Revival By Gillian Welch 51 - To listen
2174 Hourly, Daily By You Am I 52 - To listen
2206 Sackcloth 'n' Ashes By 16 Horsepower 53 - To listen
2247 October Rust By Type O Negative 54 - To listen
2310 Songs For A Blue Guitar By Red House Painters 55 - To listen
2365 Recovering The Satellites By Counting Crows 56 - 39
2382 In Sides By Orbital 57 - To listen
2431 1977 By Ash 59 - To listen
2415 It Was Written By Nas 58 - To listen
2434 Second Toughest In The Infants By Underworld 60 - To listen
And I already listened to the first album
- Endtroducing..... by DJ Shadow (nr 5 on the overall BEA top chart of 1996): to me this album is very far off the normal kind of hiphop albums I already listened to. It has a very jazzy/ambient atmosphere I quite liked and especially Stem/Long Stem is outstanding. I didn't like the whole of the album though so I won't put it in my personal top chart.
- De La Soul Is Dead by De La Soul (nr 34): I can't say I'm unfamiliar with this album because many of the tracks were all over the place on the radio at the time. So if there's one album of the genre I could like it's this one: but I don't
.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum