Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
LittleM1971

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/21/2018 20:24
  • Post subject:
I loved 1992...the year I went to my first festivals (Reading & Glastonbury), much like 1991 loads of gigs were enjoyed throughout the year and it spawned my favourite ever album (Pavement). Here’s a few albums that I didn’t see mentioned over the last few pages.

Everything's Alright Forever by The Boo Radleys

I know I’m in the minority here but I prefer this to Giant Steps.

Ostrich Churchyard by Orange Juice

1992 finally saw the release of what would have been Orange Juices debut album had they stayed with Postcard. This can be found on the compilation The Glasgow School.

Turns Into Stone by The Stone Roses

Essential compilation and on side 2 you get a tantalising snapshot of what the 2nd album could have sounded like ....Fools Gold/What The World/One Love/Somethings Burning.

Blue Day by Slowdive

You need those early Slowdive singles and here they are. Morningrise is so good.

Stardust by The Sea Urchins

1992 was a great year for Sarah compilations

Hit Parade 1 by The Wedding Present

If You didn’t collect each single each month here are the first 6.

May I Sing With Me by Yo La Tengo

I think a fair argument could be made for this being their best album.

Baby's Angry by Revolver (UK)

OK so they weren’t great however the track Heaven Sent An Angel is a Shoegaze classic.

Shot Forth Self Living by Medicine

Along with the Drop Nineteens 1992 felt like the year American shoegaze landed on my turntable.

Epicurean by The Orchids

More Sarah goodness

Pubic Fruit by Curve

Their debut album failed to hit the mark for me which was a shame as their first few EP’s I quite enjoyed which can be found on this compilation.

Killing Time by Bleach (UK)

Shoegaze also rans...really wish the track Wipe it Away was on here though.

If Wishes Were Horses by Blueboy

Beautiful

Soft Bomb by The Chills

Hey Babe by Juliana Hatfield

Jaguar by The Sweetest Ache

Done by 18th Dye

Pottymouth by Bratmobile

And 1992 was the year this lot fast became firm favourites of mine...

Link
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/21/2018 21:20
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
1992: Stoner Rock Ignites!

Sleep's Holy Mountain

Sleep's Holy Mountain by Sleep

vs.

Kyuss' Blues For The Red Sun

Blues For The Red Sun by Kyuss

Both of these are essential Stoner Rock. Both looking back on the early 70s Sabbath years and taking Sabbath's sound in an even heavier and edgier direction.

Which do u like better & why?

For anyone looking to get into 90s metal, this is a great place to start!

This is a no-brainer again:
I've recently listened to Dopesmoke by Sleep and didn't like it and the same goes for this album by Sleep: this album is completely unidimensional and just boring sludge without any subtlety. If it's Sabbath then ts Bloody Bad Sabbath.
Which is completely the opposite for this Kyuss album which is about the quintessence of good stoner rock: it's heavy and it's slow but there is also some musicality and songwriter craftmanship in it. I like all their albums and this was a good start for Josh Homme.
As I was going for the hard side I also listened to Fear Of The Dark which I didn't own and hadn't listened to completely. I'm a fan of Iron Maiden and this is one of their best so I couldn't go wrong with this one which contains and the title song and Afraid To Shoot Strangers.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/21/2018 21:22
  • Post subject:
LittleM1971 wrote:
I loved 1992...the year I went to my first festivals (Reading & Glastonbury), much like 1991 loads of gigs were enjoyed throughout the year and it spawned my favourite ever album (Pavement). Here’s a few albums that I didn’t see mentioned over the last few pages.

Everything's Alright Forever by The Boo Radleys

I know I’m in the minority here but I prefer this to Giant Steps.

Ostrich Churchyard by Orange Juice

1992 finally saw the release of what would have been Orange Juices debut album had they stayed with Postcard. This can be found on the compilation The Glasgow School.

Turns Into Stone by The Stone Roses

Essential compilation and on side 2 you get a tantalising snapshot of what the 2nd album could have sounded like ....Fools Gold/What The World/One Love/Somethings Burning.

Blue Day by Slowdive

You need those early Slowdive singles and here they are. Morningrise is so good.

Stardust by The Sea Urchins

1992 was a great year for Sarah compilations

Hit Parade 1 by The Wedding Present

If You didn’t collect each single each month here are the first 6.

May I Sing With Me by Yo La Tengo

I think a fair argument could be made for this being their best album.

Baby's Angry by Revolver (UK)

OK so they weren’t great however the track Heaven Sent An Angel is a Shoegaze classic.

Shot Forth Self Living by Medicine

Along with the Drop Nineteens 1992 felt like the year American shoegaze landed on my turntable.

Epicurean by The Orchids

More Sarah goodness

Pubic Fruit by Curve

Their debut album failed to hit the mark for me which was a shame as their first few EP’s I quite enjoyed which can be found on this compilation.

Killing Time by Bleach (UK)

Shoegaze also rans...really wish the track Wipe it Away was on here though.

If Wishes Were Horses by Blueboy

Beautiful

Soft Bomb by The Chills

Hey Babe by Juliana Hatfield

Jaguar by The Sweetest Ache

Done by 18th Dye

Pottymouth by Bratmobile

And 1992 was the year this lot fast became firm favourites of mine...

Link

Great recs LittleM: I nearly agree with you on Yo La Tengo (although Painful is still their best) and I'm already sorry I didn't find the Blueboy album on Apple Music so I'm listening to the Chills instead.
  • Visit poster's website
dihansse

Belgium

• Posted: 03/21/2018 21:35
  • Post subject:
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:

Rocking The Forest / Sebadoh Vs. Helmet by Sebadoh
I know many people would consider this a compilation but to me it isn't completely as it a full album combined with an EP. It's my number one album overall (not only for 1992) so I'll certainly come back to it.
!

Yeah. This album ruled my year as well back then. Definitely top twenty territory. In America it was called...

Smash Your Head On The Punk Rock by Sebadoh

Tilly before I take on your Stoner rock contest I would like to come back on this very important issue Twisted Evil
I have been doubting a long time if I would follow you and put the Smash Your Head album in my top chart instead of the compilation of the two EP's Rocking The Forest (8 tracks) and Sebadoh vs Helmet (9 tracks).
But Smash Your Head is also a compilation so if I have to choose I choose my choice.

Here is a bit of a comparison.

From Rocking The Forest (all of them on my compilation)
1. Gimme Indie Rock (one of my favorite tracks ever): not on Smash Your Head (SYH) and one heck of an introduction to American indie rock
2. Ride The Darker Wave (very good): Not on SYH
3. It's So Hard To Fall In Love (One of my favorite tracks ever): not on SYH and typically slacker Lou Barlow
4. Cry Sis (just very good): appears on SYH (but is titled Crisis there according to Allmusic) and is Sebadoh at its fiercest
5. Really Insane II (just very good)
6. Vampire (one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH and is all about typical jangly Sebadoh progressions
7. Junk Bonds (very good): appears on SYH and again fast and furious
8. Mind Meld (one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH: seven minutes of guitar fuzz heaven

From Sebadoh vs Helmet (all of them appear on my compilation)
1. Notsur Dnuora Selcric (one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH and Sebadoh at its most stubborn and eclectic self
2. Brand New Love (this is my most favorite track ever): and fortunately appears on SYH. Why is this my most favorite track ever: because it builds up in one emotional rollercoaster just to end into absolutely chaotic ending. I've seen them many times live and never have they played this live. I would die to see them perform this in front of my eyes.
3. Mean Distance (One of my favorite tracks ever): begins very slackerish and slow and ends in typical Sebadoh chaos
4. ... Burned (or Everybody's Been Burned one of my favorite tracks ever): appears on SYH is in fact a Byrds cover but here in a much more emotional version
5. New Worship (is called New Worship II on my compilation and once again one of my favorite tracks ever): also on SYH a galoping Sebadoh
6. Good Things, Proud Man (and another one of the greatest songs ever): appears on SYH under the name Good Things: short and a good thing
7. P. Moon (or in fact an unrecognisable version of Pink Moon by Nick Drake: just a good song): also appears on SYH
8. Cecilia Chime in Melee (the only clunker on this album): also appears on SYH
9. Soulmate (or Soulmate II on my compilation and just a good song): doesn't appear on SYH

To summarise: Smash Your Head lacks 5 songs of the original 2 EP's from which it's compiled and that's a real pity because the missing tracks are great. So I stick to my version which for me is my favorite album of all times (compilation or not) and of course also of 1992. Sebadoh has made many fantastic albums after this one but this remains the one I advise every music lover to listen to.
Tilly I'm glad that you have Smash Your Head high up in your 1992 chart but have you already listened to the missing 5 tracks (especially Gimmie Indie Rock which references about any indie rock band of that time)?

You know, now that u mention it, I remember being totally bummed that "Gimmie Indie Rock" was NOT on the Smash Your Head on The Punk Rock compilation that I had bought. I have heard it, and it's a really fun song for those of us in the scene. Especially at the time.

"It's So Hard To Fall In Love" is a classic so of course I've heard that one as well and definitely owned it on sth. The other three I'm not so sure I've heard. But there was no way I was paying import prices back then for 3 songs. lol.

Maybe if you can send something to my pm. Wink I didn't know I was missing out on three songs.

Totally makes sense that you'd like your comp - Sebadoh vs. Helmet better. I mean it has more tracks and loses nothing.

And yes, Brand New Love is one of the best Indie rock songs EVER!!! I put it in many, many mix tapes back in the day.

Link

psssst... notice the cover! Wink Very Happy

If you already know Gimme Indie Love and It's So Hard To Fall In Love you already know the two most important ones missing from my compilation. The other tracks are great but not essential.
I'm glad you love the album (whichever one) as well and I suppose we'll meet again on it in the top 10 Listening Project of Baystateoftheart where this album is my first contribution (in the hope that people can find it Wink )
  • Visit poster's website
CharlieBarley

United Kingdom

• Posted: 03/22/2018 00:54
  • Post subject:
Ok this is a long list. I just bunged everything in.

The first 12 are in my top 100 of the 90s chart:

Automatic For The People by R.E.M.

Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me by Angelo Badalamenti

Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos

Wish by The Cure

Gold by ABBA

Generation Terrorists by Manic Street Preachers

Your Arsenal by Morrissey

Everybody Else Is Doing It, So Why Can'...ranberries

Harvest Moon by Neil Young

Ingénue by k.d. lang

Unplugged by Eric Clapton

Rage Against The Machine by Rage Against The Machine

Here are some others I like:

Nirvana - Insecticide
Stone Roses - Turns Into Stone
Madness - Divine Madness
Ice T with Body Count - Body Count
Simply Red - Stars
Bruce Springsteen - Human Touch
Bruce Springsteen - Lucky Town
Smashing Pumpkins - Peel Sessions EP (ok - cheating slightly)
Spiritualized - Lazer Guided Melodies
Carter USM - 1992 - The Love Album
The Orb - U.F. Orb
The Smiths - Best 1
Right Said Fred - Up
Shakespear's Sister - Hormonally Yours
The Commitments Soundtrack
Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works 1985-92
James - Seven
Wayne's World Soundtrack
2 Unlimited - Get Ready
ROLLINS BAND - END OF SILENCE (man that album spoke to me aged 17)
They Might Be Giants - Apollo 18
Tom Waits - Night On Earth Soundtrack
L7 - Bricks Are Heavy
Beastie Boys - Check Your Head
Ned's Atomic Dustbin - Are You Normal?
Jon Secada - Jon Secada
Billy Ray Cyrus - Some Gave All (Really! You can't be depressed listening to Billy. Wish I could line dance!)
Sugar - Copper Blue
The Lemonheads - It's A Shame About Ray
PJ Harvey - Dry
House of Pain - House of Pain
Suzanne Vega - 99.9 F Degrees
Take That - Take That & Party
Roger Waters - Amused To Death
Soul Asylum - Grave Dancer's Union
Whitney Houston et al - The Bodyguard Soundtrack (mostly just her songs)
Faith No More - Angel Dust
Green Day - Ker-Plunk
Pantera - Vulgar Display Of Power

And a little bit of The Chronic by Dr Dre but not all of it.

2 albums I want to check out are

B-52s - Good Stuff
Deee-Lite - Infinity Within

Cos I love the singles Groove Is In The Heart and Love Shack from 1990.
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 03/22/2018 10:11
  • Post subject:
Some women

Little Earthquakes by Tori Amos

Ingénue by k.d. lang

43 Minutes by Sam Brown

Blind by The Sundays

Fat City by Shawn Colvin

Sweet Old World by Lucinda Williams

Love Deluxe by Sade
  • Visit poster's website
rkm

• Posted: 03/22/2018 10:14
  • Post subject:
Some jazz

Secret Story by Pat Metheny

Grace Under Pressure by John Scofield

Have A Little Faith by Bill Frisell

This Land by Bill Frisell

Universal Language by Joe Lovano
  • Visit poster's website
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2018 13:18
  • Post subject:
rkm wrote:
Some jazz

Good stuff there, especially the Sco, Secret Story, and This Land.

Here's a little more jazz guitar I like from the year:

As an aside, I took jazz guitar lessons from someone who studied under Jimmy Bruno.
  • Visit poster's website
Norman Bates

France

• Posted: 03/22/2018 16:04
  • Post subject:
No phrase can stress the importance of '92 for me any stronger than this one: I was 20.

Top 20 of my 20: Pavement, Gang Starr, Red House Painters, Lo rwa kaf, PJ Harvey, The Pharcyde, Meredith Monk, Nick Cave, Nits, Apartments, Beastie Boys, Ali Farka Touré, R.E.M., Neil Young, Aphex Twin, Pascal Comelade, John Cale, Spiritualized, Sonic Youth, Suzanne Vega

Also excellent: Pete Rock & CL Smooth, Tom Waits, XTC, Dadamah, The Chills
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 03/22/2018 20:29
  • Post subject:
dihansse wrote:
Tilly wrote:
1992: Stoner Rock Ignites!

Sleep's Holy Mountain

Sleep's Holy Mountain by Sleep

vs.

Kyuss' Blues For The Red Sun

Blues For The Red Sun by Kyuss

Both of these are essential Stoner Rock. Both looking back on the early 70s Sabbath years and taking Sabbath's sound in an even heavier and edgier direction.

Which do u like better & why?

For anyone looking to get into 90s metal, this is a great place to start!

This is a no-brainer again:
I've recently listened to Dopesmoke by Sleep and didn't like it and the same goes for this album by Sleep: this album is completely unidimensional and just boring sludge without any subtlety. If it's Sabbath then ts Bloody Bad Sabbath.
Which is completely the opposite for this Kyuss album which is about the quintessence of good stoner rock: it's heavy and it's slow but there is also some musicality and songwriter craftmanship in it. I like all their albums and this was a good start for Josh Homme.
As I was going for the hard side I also listened to Fear Of The Dark which I didn't own and hadn't listened to completely. I'm a fan of Iron Maiden and this is one of their best so I couldn't go wrong with this one which contains and the title song and Afraid To Shoot Strangers.

Shocked Shocked Shocked

Wow. I'm completely flabbergasted that someone could love that Kyuss album so much and then completely dislike Sleep. But, I think I get too. Kyuss' DNA is principally really good & heavy 70s Hard rock whereas Sleep takes an element of Black Sabbath and concentrates into some of the sludgiest & heaviest Doom released at the time. Perhaps what you don't like about them - what you call "unidimensional" - is exactly what makes them so amazing. And what made this a classic of the genre.

Have you ever listened to Saint Vitus? They might be a good stepping stone into doom for you. All of their 80s albums are great! I've been listening to this ...

Mournful Cries by Saint Vitus

... one a lot lately. Whatever u do, don't write off Sleep. They're essential 90s metal. Easy.
  • Visit poster's website