Greatest Metal According to Gowi/LedZep/Repo/Rocky and I!

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 148, 149, 150, 151  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
Fischman
RockMonster, JazzMeister, Bluesboy,ClassicalMaster

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 19:02
  • Post subject:
Last post very enjoyable to read. Good content, well written. Happy to take a part of my day and get caught up here.
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury
Turn your back on the pay-you-back last call

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 19:33
  • Post subject:
Okay, the ballots are in. The votes are cast. Me and LedZep and Gowi and Repo and RockyRaccoon all made top 100 Fave metal albums charts in recent weeks. They are all cool. And they have all been tabulated.

Note to those who made these charts, thanks agaon! They are awesome and have given me lots of recs and have gotten some cool discussions going I think regarding metal of various kinds. Also if you want to change the charts up big time, go for it. I will maybe check back in every once in awhile and update my silly and detailed spreadsheet no problem.

Okay, and so back to these charts. Well first off they each have their own character to some degree...

Ashes Against The Grain by Agalloch
Metal - Holy Wars, Strongholds & Th... by LedZep

This chart by LedZep is varied of course but the general inclination seems to be toward Epic(us), Doom(icus), Progressive(cus?), hugely textured and detailed and ambitious masterpieces... Agalloch, Laterallus, Prog-era Death, that sort of thing. Also, DOOM and Black Metal, atmospheric and singular works of atmospheric integration with metal. That's the basic outline. But again, this goes all over.

Top era or decade? 1990s, specifically that sweet spot in mid 90s between 93 and 96 - The age of the Thousand Lakes, and the Transcendence into the Peripheral where Anthems could be carried out to the Welkin (at Dusk, specifically).

--- --- --- --- --- ---

The Mantle by Agalloch
Top 100: Metal by Gowi

This chart from Gowi is rich with Folk metal and earthy metal as well as the brighter and more fantastical side of metal - has both a strong Power Metal presence and Folk metal and Prog metal. This is tough to categorize or see a broad aesthetic. (Truth be told this trying to broadly categorize Taste is impossible, as for each of these charts there is a wide variety of lovely and uniquely metal things).

Top Era or Decade? '89-90. I nice evenness in number of albums for 1980s, 1990s and 2000s... But with a huge spike in 1989 and less so 1990... The age of Rust and The Abyss, a vision of Alice leaving wonderland and descending into Hell.

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath
No Bullshit: Repo's Top Metal Albums! by Repo

Now this bad boi is all about the old school, and blurring the line between hard rock and metal. Non albums post 2006, 55 from the glorious height of heavy metal - the 1980s (on that me and Repo agree), and lots of 70s hard rock albums that arguably aren't metal but that's neither here nor there. This chart speaks to the rebellious, sweaty, sub-cultural roots of the genre(s). It's a beautiful thing!

Top decade or Era? Well like I said the 1980s is by far the focus here and specifically that special moment when the underground started to boil and break loose from the sewers and the depths, when all the NWOBHM and early extreme metal and thrash started it's offensive upon the wider world, 1983 to 1985 in particular... the age of Lightning Riding to Hells that Await, where you'll wage Your War alongside Holy Divers and Vitus Saints... Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Symbolic by Death (Metal)
Top 100 Metal Albums by RockyRaccoon

And now we step into Rocky's world... I expected Hair Metal and Power Metal galore! But as you read in his intro, he excluded 1970s "proto-metal" (including BLACK SABBATH!) as well as Hair/Glam metal. We are left with an intriguing picture of a metal fan who loves Musical Genius and Innovators, those who aren't afraid of flexing their virtuosic muscles, Symbolic at #1 being a perfect example, Unquestionable Presence, the more proggy thide of sings and the more bright and fantastical power metal side of things are given much love. And, again, much more here that can't be easily summarized.

Top Decade or Era of Metal per this chart? -this suprised me- The 2010s! specifically 2015, that year square in the middle of the decade, the year that Rocky made a classic year chart for. The year of Losing your Ascension, as you fall From Lonely Towers, with The Body by your side... (lol, that was tough because full disclosure of the 14 albums from 2014-2015 that Rocky listed, I have heard I think NONE of them).

--- --- --- --- --- ---

Reign In Blood by Slayer
MY METAL 100 by Mercury

and this one. mine. seems self indulgent to make a summary of mine. but yeah a good amount of the gnarlier, more fucked up, criminal, feral side of metal. with some various other kinds as well.

Top era or year? 1988 to 1990, the peaking of Thrash coinciding with the emergence of Death Metal, Grindcore and second wave Black metal... the age Leprosy in a Realm of Chaos, with Painkillers as your only succor in this Abyss, this Dimension Hatross far, far South of Heaven...

----------------

Okay, I recommend anyone interested check out those awesome charts and give your thoughts and comments and steal some recs and musical exploration ideas from them. I know I will be! (so far I have already re-listened to Rust In Peace after discovering it is BY FAR the most popular album amongst the other 4 chart makers and I loved it more than I recall and raised in my chart, as well I checked out Tales of a Thousand Lakes from Zep's chart and it was great! And I checked out FINALLY When The Kite String Pops by Acid Bath because I was reminded of this embarresing blindspot by Gowi's Top 10 inclusion of it and it was also incedible!)

I will be posting the rankings and the breakdowns of what 82 albums got picked more than once in these 5 charts... I will disclose who were the ONLY TWO albums that appeared in all 5 charts. And I will show the rankings combined and all that shit soon..

Thjanks again for the participation

---- ---- ----- ---- ----

In terms of numbers, in total 400 unique albums were charted in those 5 charts.

The only 2 albums that were on all 5 lists were also the 2 highest scoring in terms of how highly they were ranked on charts.

The 2 UNANIMOUS metal classics were...

#1 with 421 points...

Ride The Lightning by Metallica

#2 with 351 points...

Rust In Peace by Megadeth

#3 with 222 points...

Sad Wings Of Destiny by Judas Priest

----------------

Then after those 2 clear top dawgs, there were another 7 albums that appeared on 4 of the 5 charts:

namely, in order of points amongst themselves (some albums like The Mantle while only on 3 charts had more points than some of these, but giving these a boost of some sort due to how often they appeared, they are:

#3 with 299 points...

Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass
(Mine was the exception)

#4 with 288 points...

Master Of Reality by Black Sabbath
(mine again was the exception, sorry)

#5 with 265 points...

Obscura by Gorguts
(Repo's was the exception this time)

#6 with 259 points...

Leviathan by Mastodon
(Gowi was the exception)

#7 with 222 points...

Sad Wings Of Destiny by Judas Priest
(RockyRaccoon is the one who left this off. Not, as previously mistakenly stated, Repo)

#8 with 220 points...

Ænima by Tool
(RockyRaccoon was the exception...)

#9 with 218 points...

Reign In Blood by Slayer
(and for this, the most heinous of crimes in my opinion, the culprit was none other than LedZep... for shame)

and just for fun, to round out a TOP 10, the highest POINTS amongst those receiving 3 chart entries, and actually #4 total if you ignore chart totals and just count points, was...
#10, with 290 points...

The Mantle by Agalloch
(only on 3 charts, but got a 1, 5 and 7 ranking on those 3 charts! Mad love for this 2002 Folk Metal classic!)

--------------------------
COPY/PASTED from a spread sheet so ugly as fuck! Here are the 82 albums that appeared on more than one chart. Those number on the right of the albums are Total Points/Number of charts

Ride The Lightning by Metallica/1984 421/5
Rust In Peace by Megadeth/1990 351/5
Sad Wings Of Destiny by Judas Priest/1976 222/4
Epicus Doomicus Metallicus by Candlemass/1986 299/4
Master Of Reality by Black Sabbath 288/4
Obscura by Gorguts/1998 265/4
Leviathan by Mastodon/2004 259/4
Sad Wings Of Destiny by Judas Priest/1976 222/4
Ænima by Tool/1996 220/4
Reign In Blood by Slayer/1986 218/4
The Mantle by Agalloch/2002 290/3

Master Of Puppets by Metallica/1986 255/3
Through Silver In Blood by Neurosis/1996 229/3
Seasons In The Abyss by Slayer/1990 224/3
Painkiller by Judas Priest/1990 221/3
At The Heart of Winter by Immortal/1999 221/3
Kill 'Em All by Metallica 219/3
Vol. 4 by Black Sabbath/1972 209/3
Anthems To The Welkin At Dusk by Emperor/1997 203/3
Screaming For Vengeance by Judas Priest/1982 188/3
Bergtatt - Et Eventyr I 5 Capitler by Ulver/1995 181/3

Ashes Against The Grain by Agalloch/2006 178/3
Powerslave by Iron Maiden/1984 177/3
Killers by Iron Maiden 172/3
Dirt by Alice In Chains/1992 171/3
Unquestionable Presence by Atheist/1991 170/3
None So Vile by Cryptopsy/1996 124/3
Nightfall by Candlemass/1987 93/3
Melissa by Mercyful Fate/1983 57/3
Beneath The Remains by Sepultera 55/3
Nightfall In Middle-Earth by Blind Guardian/1998 181/2

Tales From The Thousand Lakes by Amorphis/1994 177/2
Visions by Stratovarius/1997 169/2
Symbolic by Death/1995 168/2
Blackwater Park by Opeth/2001 166/2
Leprosy by Death/1988 159/2
Consuming Impulse by Pestilence/1989 157/2
…And Justice For All by Metallica/1988 155/2
Black Sabbath by Black Sabbath/1970 148/2
Hell Awaits by Slayer/1985 148/2
The Keeper of the Seven Keys, Part 1 by Helloween/1987 146/2

Far Away From The Sun by Sacramentum/1996 146/2
Operation: Mindcrime by Queensryche/1988 146/2
Human by Death/1991 145/2
Crack The Skye by Mastodon/2009 141/2
To Mega Therion by Celtic Frost/1985 138/2
Individual Thought Patterns by Death/1993 137/2
South of Heaven by Slayer/1988 134/2
Dopethrone by Electric Wizard/2000 132/2
Stained Class by Judas Priest/1978 130/2
Seven Churches by Possessed/1985 128/2

The Black Halo by Kamelot/2005 126/2
Dead As Dreams by Weakling 123/2
Exercises In Futility by Mgla/2015 115/2
Jane Doe by Converge/2001 112/2
No More Color by Coroner/1989 111/2
Show No Mercy by Slayer/1983 109/2
Marrow of the Spirit by Agalloch/2010 104/2
Mental Vortex by Coroner/1991 103/2
Peace Sells… But Who's Buying? By Megadeth/1986 102/2
Bonded By Blood by Exodus/1985 100/2

Welcome To Hell by Venom/1981 93/2
Paranoid by Black Sabbath/1970 91/2
Seventh Son of a Seventh Son by Iron Maiden/1988 89/2
Light of Day, Day of Darkness by Green Carnation/2001 86/2
In The Nightside Eclipse by Emperor/1994 86/2
Black Metal by Venom/1982 81/2
The Mystery of Time by Avantasia/2013 81/2
Images and Words by Dream Theator/1992 79/2
Holy Diver by Dio/1983 72/2
Monolith of Inhumanity by Cattle Decapitation/2012 66/2

Blizzard of Ozz by Ozzy Osbourne/1980 66/2
The Inalienable Dreamless by The Discordance Axis/2000 62/2
Stare Into Death And Be Still by Ulcerate/2020 60/2
Morbid Tales by Celtic Frost/1984 59/2
Silence by Sonata Arctica/2001 58/2
Don't Break The Oath by Mercyful Fate/1984 52/2
Lysol by Melvins/1992 47/2
Abigail by King Diamond/1987 42/2
Crystal Logic by Manilla Road/1983 39/2
Blood Mountain by Mastodon/2006 34/2

Famine, Putrid, and Fucking Endless by Atvm/2021 19/2
Vulgar Display of Power by Pantera/1992 18/2

-------------------------------------

I may do year breakdowns later and other nerdy stuff lol. For now the decade champion was the 1980s (thanks mostly to Repo followed by me), followed by 1990s then 2000s, then 2010s, then 2020s so far then 1970s.

Okay, that's all for now... PEACE.

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!

Last edited by Mercury on 06/11/2023 21:49; edited 2 times in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 21:06
  • Post subject:
Ha! Sad Wings should definitely be on my chart! And high up too. <Let me take a look! Think >

===========================================

Ok. I'm back! Sad Wings is #7 on my chart!!! Razz Twisted Evil
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 21:11
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Ha! Sad Wings should definitely be on my chart! And high up to. <Let me take a look! Think >

Okay phew! Smile Very Happy It feels better to have a 70s representative in that ultra rarefied air! Also “Top 3” just sounds better than “Top 2”

Edit: updated the post. Weirdly time consuming so won’t do these itsy bitsy updates 1 by 1. But that was too important to ignore.

Last edited by Mercury on 06/11/2023 21:16; edited 1 time in total
  • Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 21:16
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
Repo wrote:
Ha! Sad Wings should definitely be on my chart! And high up to. <Let me take a look! Think >

Okay phew! Smile Very Happy It feels better to have a 70s representative in that ultra rarefied air! Also “Top 3” just sounds better than “Top 2”

Totally! I think I rejiggered my Top Ten after that first post as soon as I realized that Priest wasn't represented. '70s Priest is just slightly <very slightly> below '70s Sabbath in my listening habits. All of their '70s albums INCLUDING Rocka Rolla could have been in my Top 100!

Ok. I gotta check out some Alcest next!
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 21:45
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Mercury wrote:
Repo wrote:

Totally! I think I rejiggered my Top Ten after that first post as soon as I realized that Priest wasn't represented. '70s Priest is just slightly <very slightly> below '70s Sabbath in my listening habits. All of their '70s albums INCLUDING Rocka Rolla could have been in my Top 100!

Ok. I gotta check out some Alcest next!

NEVERMIND! This whole confusion and waste of time stemmed from a mistake. You always had it HIGH and it was that dastardly ROCKYRACCOON who left it off! Now let me go and undo all the changes I made to the post. shit balls

• Visit poster's website
Repo
BeA Sunflower

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 22:06
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:

NEVERMIND! This whole confusion and waste of time stemmed from a mistake. You always had it HIGH and it was that dastardly ROCKYRACCOON who left it off! Now let me go and undo all the changes I made to the post. shit balls

Ahhhh. That makes sense. Rocky's also probably the reason there's no collective love for Sabbath! Evil or Very Mad
  • Visit poster's website
Mercury

United States

• Posted: 06/11/2023 22:10
  • Post subject:
Repo wrote:
Mercury wrote:

Ahhhh. That makes sense. Rocky's also probably the reason there's no collective love for Sabbath! Evil or Very Mad

Possibly. There are bands that have such huge collections of almost equally revered albums that split the vote. If you have 1 pretty consistently regarded masterpiece or 2, then there’s less splitting. Rust in Peace and Candlemass’ 2 main famous albums are good examples of that. And examples of insanely rich and varied and consistent masterpieces throughout splitting the bite are Maiden, Sabbath, Death… leading to none of their albums having more than 3 of 5 chartings

• Visit poster's website
RockyRaccoon
Is it solipsistic in here or is it just me?

United States

• Posted: 06/12/2023 02:53
  • Post subject:
Lol yeah, it’s probably me bringing Sabbath down. I love them, I just didn’t include them because when I think of metal I don’t typically think of Sabbath. Obviously they’re progenitors of metal, but it feels logically disingenuous for me personally to include Sabbath and not include all the stoner rock bands of today like Queens of the Stone Age or The Sword or whatever.

That said, I totally don’t begrudge anyone for including Sabbath. It makes total sense

As for hair metal, would’ve been fun to include but again, it feels a bit disjointed from the rest of the metal genre (and I mean, I’ve got a top 100 hair metal albums chart if anyone ever wants it)

This is a cool project Mercury! Thanks for doing it!

Early Psychedelic Rock

Electronic Chart
  • Visit poster's website
LedZep

Croatia (Hrvatska)

• Posted: 06/12/2023 06:22
  • Post subject:
Mercury wrote:
#9 with 218 points...

Reign In Blood by Slayer
(and for this, the most heinous of crimes in my opinion, the culprit was none other than LedZep... for shame)

Anxious
I do love Slayer and 3 of their most popular albums were certainly in considerations, but there's just too many great albums to choose from. I didn't include Dissection, Autopsy, Bolt Thrower, Incantation (!), Darkthrone, Immolation, Burzum (!), Ved Buens Ende, Demilich, Annihilator, Deicide, Acid Bath, Enslaved (!)... And those are just off the top of my head.

2020s
90s
  • Visit poster's website