The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever by The Guardian (1997)
In 1997, The Guardian, a UK daily broadsheet newspaper, published a list of the greatest albums of all time. The list was chosen by a panel of judges including artists, critics and DJ's from around the world.
(Official website: www.guardian.co.uk)
There are 19 comments for this chart from BestEverAlbums.com members and The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever has an average rating of 73 out of 100 (from 65 votes). Please log in or register to leave a comment or assign a rating.
The entries in this chart have been awarded a zero rank score (this chart is over ten years old).
View the complete list of 46,000 charts on BestEverAlbums.com from The Charts page.
Don't agree with this chart? Create your own from the My Charts page!
The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever composition
|Bob Marley & The Wailers||4||4%|
|The Rolling Stones||3||3%|
The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever similar charts
- The Guardian: 100 Best Albums Ever (1997) by WayneMC (2019)
- Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by RFNAPLES (2013)
- Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by album guru joe (2013)
- Virgin All-Time Top 1000 Albums by Virgin (2000)
- Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Channel 4 (2005)
- Most Acclaimed Music Albums by Imaybeparanoid (2015)
- 100 Greatest Albums Ever by Q (2006)
- Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by P H Dias (2012)
- Top 500 Albums of All Time by Rolling Stone (2003)
- The Top 100 Albums by VH1 (2001)
The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever similarity to your chart(s)
Not a member? Registering is quick, easy and FREE!
- Join a passionate community of over 40,000 music fans.
- Create & share your own charts.
- Have your say in the overall rankings.
- Post comments in the forums and vote on polls.
- Comment on or rate any album, artist, track or chart.
- Discover new music & improve your music collection.
- Customise the overall chart using a variety of different filters & metrics.
- Create a wishlist of albums.
- Help maintain the BEA database.
- Earn member points and gain access to increasing levels of functionality!
- ... And lots more!
Register now - it only takes a moment!
Other charts by The Guardian
- The 50 best albums of 2020 by The Guardian (2020 year chart)
- The 50 Best Albums of 2019 by The Guardian (2019 year chart)
- The 50 best albums of 2018 by The Guardian (2018 year chart)
- The best albums of 2017 by The Guardian (2017 year chart)
- The best albums of 2016 by The Guardian (2016 year chart)
- The best albums of 2015 by The Guardian (2015 year chart)
- The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever by The Guardian (published 1997)
Other overall charts
- Top 100 Albums by ABC (published 2006)
- The 100 Greatest Albums Of All Time by Absolute Radio (published 2012)
- Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Channel 4 (published 2005)
- 100 Greatest Rock Albums of All Time by Classic Rock (published 2001)
- Top 100 Albums Ever by Consequence of Sound (published 2010)
- The 100 All-Time Greatest Albums by Entertainment Weekly (published 2013)
- The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever by The Guardian (published 1997)
- Greatest 100 Albums of All Time by The Guinness Book of British Hit Singles & Albums with NME (published 2006)
- Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Melody Maker (published 2000)
- 100 Greatest Albums of All Time by Mojo (published 1995)
- Mojo Readers: The 100 Greatest Albums Ever Made by Mojo (published 1996)
- The Definitive 200 by National Association of Recording Merchandisers (published 2007)
- The 500 Greatest Albums Of All Time by New Music Express (published 2013)
- NME Readers' All-Time Top 100 Albums by New Music Express (published 1988)
- NME 's 100 Best Albums Of All Time by New Music Express (published 2003)
- NME's Best Albums Of All Time by New Music Express (published 1985)
- 100 Greatest Albums Ever by Q (published 2006)
- Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by Q (published 1997)
- 100 Greatest Albums Ever by Q (published 2003)
- Top 500 Albums of All Time by Rolling Stone (published 2003)
- Top 500 Albums of All Time by Rolling Stone (published 2012)
- Top 500 Albums of All Time by Rolling Stone (published 2005)
- The 500 Greatest Albums of All Time by Rolling Stone (published 2020)
- Top 100 Albums by Rolling Stone (Germany) (published 1997)
- Os 100 Melhores Discos de Todos Os Tempos by Sinewave (published 2012)
- The Top 50 Albums of All Time by Sound & Vision Magazine (published 2010)
- 100 Greatest Albums Of All Time by The Sound (published 2018)
- All Time Top 100 Albums by Sounds (published 1985)
- 200 Greatest Albums of All Time by Uncut (published 2016)
- The Top 100 Albums by VH1 (published 2001)
- Virgin All-Time Top 1000 Albums by Virgin (published 1994)
- Virgin All-Time Top 1000 Albums by Virgin (published 2000)
- Virgin All-Time Top 1000 Albums by Virgin (published 1998)
- Albums of the Century by ZigZag (published 1975)
- Best Album Ever by ZigZag (published 1971)
The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever ratings
av = trimmed mean average rating an item has currently received.
n = number of ratings an item has currently received.
m = minimum number of ratings required for an item to appear in a 'top-rated' chart (currently 10).
AV = the site mean average rating.
Showing latest 5 ratings for this chart. | Show all 65 ratings for this chart.
|Rating||Date updated||Member||Chart ratings||Avg. chart rating|
Outliers can be removed when calculating a mean average to dampen the effects of ratings outside the normal distribution. This figure is provided as the trimmed mean. A high standard deviation can be legitimate, but can sometimes indicate 'gaming' is occurring. Consider a simplified example* of an item receiving ratings of 100, 50, & 0. The mean average rating would be 50. However, ratings of 55, 50 & 45 could also result in the same average. The second average might be more trusted because there is more consensus around a particular rating (a lower deviation).
(*In practice, some charts can have several thousand ratings)
This chart has a Bayesian average rating of 73.1/100, a mean average of 70.5/100, and a trimmed mean (excluding outliers) of 71.3/100. The standard deviation for this chart is 19.7.
The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever favourites
Showing all 6 members who have added this chart as a favourite
The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever comments
Showing latest 10 comments | Show all 19 comments |
Most Helpful First | Newest First | Maximum Rated First | Longest Comments First
(Only showing comments with -2 votes or higher. You can alter this threshold from your profile page. Manage Profile)
Actually not as mad at this one as I thought I would be. Still no clue what Oasis is doing on any greatest albums list, but can't have everything.
Interesting chart. I agree with some of it, but there are quite a few odd choices (especially for a big magazine) like putting What's Going On at number one, and Never Mind The Bollocks, Here's The Sex Pistols at number three. It's good to see some diversity, but it's completely overlooked metal. They should also have been more careful with putting (at the time) recent albums so high up. Not that they are bad albums, but they definitely wouldn't be that high up nowadays.
Not that bad – there is a good diversity of selections (though metal is conspicuously absent). It’s notable to see some reggae, a lot of very good soul and a good selection of most pop and rock genres.
There is though the problem of datedness of numerous selections which have proven to constitute much more popular fads than timeless classics that either had long-term impacts on the music industry or stand out as something totally unique that nobody could emulate. Examples are artists like the Verve, Oasis, Garbage and even Alanis Morrisette. If the ‘Guardian’ could have been more careful about then-recent records this could have been a good list for its type.
Very interesting list...different order.
Can't argue with too much. Predictable selections but interesting order
Pretty good. Predictable for a reason. If they did one now a few from the 90s would bite the dust like garbage, urban hymns and jagged little pill I would guess. Not a predictable no1 but a good one.
Well, this chart add´s The Stone Roses in a top 10
Interesting to see "What's Going On?" at the top of the list!
Good list, really diverse
This comment is beneath your viewing threshold.
Your feedback for The Guardian 100 Best Albums Ever
A lot of hard work happens in the background to keep BEA running, and it's especially difficult to do this when we can't pay our hosting fees :(
We work very hard to ensure our site is as fast (and FREE!) as possible, and we respect your privacy.