I listen to a lot of Rap but i prefer it from its golden age 1992-2001 and like very little modern rap and most of that is from vintage artists. I also generally prefer my rap a little grimy but can also enjoy a positive message rap song. I also like both east and west coast rap but listen to very little from non US artists, other than Doom and he is British born but US based. For some reason I loath Kanye and it isn't just that i can't stand his personality as there are other artists i domt like personally but enjoy there art. Speed rap doesn't really impress me unless it also evolves some vocal gymnastics like Eminem in Rap God. I truly wish bigiie and 2pac had settled their beefs as they are certainly my favorite artists of the genre and i feel their early deaths sort of held back the genre and it never fully recovered. Some Honorable mention albums would include: Reasonable Doubt by Jay z, Bizzare Ride by The Pharcyde, Death Certificate by Ice Cube, and 36 Chambers by Wu Tang. Some of the bEST hip ho producers are Dre, DJ Quik, Kanye ( I loath him as a rapper but he can produce), Rick Rubin, to name a few. Best Flow is Biggie, Most passionate is 2 Pac, most lyrically acrobatic is Eminem, funniest is probably the Beastie Boys. Most politically relevant PE, most underrated The Fat Boys yes I said the Fat Boys, great call and response fun trio who's first three albums are Hip Hop classics and truly underrated. they becamee a novelty act but started out strong. A few other underrated MC's LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, and KRS1. The most influential is probably Run DMC with shout outs to Grand Master Flash, Rakim (he really changed the game), and Sugar hill Gang. To me the best rap song f all time is Changes by 2PAC which borrows the beat from the way it is by Bruce Hornsby and takes it to the Ghetto but with a generally positive thigh still THUG LIFE message.
Last edited by glynspsa on 08/05/2018 17:38; edited 3 times in total
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
I listen to a lot of Rap but i prefer it from its golden age 1992-2001 and like very little modern rap and most of that is from vintage artists. I also generally prefer my rap a little grimy but can also enjoy a positive message rap song. I also like both east and west coast rap but listen to very little from non US artists, other than Doom and he is British born but US based. For some reason I loath Kanye and it isn't just that i can't stand his personality as there are other artists i domt like personally but enjoy there art. Speed rap doesn't really impress me unless it also evolves some vocal gymnastics like Eminem in Rap God. I truly wish bigiie and 2pac had settled their beefs as they are certainly my favorite artists of the genre and i feel their early deaths sort of held back the genre and it never fully recovered. Some Honorable mention albums would include: Reasonable Doubt by Jay z, Bizzare Ride by The Pharcyde, Death Certificate by Ice Cube, and 36 Chambers by Wu Tang. Some of the bEST hip ho producers are Dre, DJ Quik, Kanye ( I loath him as a rapper but he can produce), Rick Rubin, to name a few. Best Flow is Biggie, Most passionate is 2 Pac, most lyrically acrobatic is Eminem, funniest is probably the Beastie Boys. Most politically relevant PE, most underrated The Fat Boys yes I said the Fat Boys, great call and response fun trio who's first three albums are Hip Hop classics and truly underrated. they becamee a novelty act but started out strong. A few other underrated MC's LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, and KRS1. The most influential is probably Run DMC with shout outs to Grand Master Flash, Rakim (he really changed the game), and Sugar hill Gang. To me the best rap song f all time is Changes by 2PAC which borrows the beat from the way it is by Bruce Hornsby and takes it to the Ghetto but with a generally positive thigh still THUG LIFE message.
Thanks for your take on this. I'm not sure if it is our age or what, but I'd have to agree on the golden age of rap being earlier... but I am impressed on how much of it has matured. Sometimes it feels real stale and stagnant like sometimes prog rock became/did (sorry dudes, 36 hour guitar solos just aren't my thing). It's clever and what have you, but sometimes "modern" rap loses it's immediacy.
What is it Rakim did to really change the game? I don't really know much about that artist.
I listen to a lot of Rap but i prefer it from its golden age 1992-2001 and like very little modern rap and most of that is from vintage artists. I also generally prefer my rap a little grimy but can also enjoy a positive message rap song. I also like both east and west coast rap but listen to very little from non US artists, other than Doom and he is British born but US based. For some reason I loath Kanye and it isn't just that i can't stand his personality as there are other artists i domt like personally but enjoy there art. Speed rap doesn't really impress me unless it also evolves some vocal gymnastics like Eminem in Rap God. I truly wish bigiie and 2pac had settled their beefs as they are certainly my favorite artists of the genre and i feel their early deaths sort of held back the genre and it never fully recovered. Some Honorable mention albums would include: Reasonable Doubt by Jay z, Bizzare Ride by The Pharcyde, Death Certificate by Ice Cube, and 36 Chambers by Wu Tang. Some of the bEST hip ho producers are Dre, DJ Quik, Kanye ( I loath him as a rapper but he can produce), Rick Rubin, to name a few. Best Flow is Biggie, Most passionate is 2 Pac, most lyrically acrobatic is Eminem, funniest is probably the Beastie Boys. Most politically relevant PE, most underrated The Fat Boys yes I said the Fat Boys, great call and response fun trio who's first three albums are Hip Hop classics and truly underrated. they becamee a novelty act but started out strong. A few other underrated MC's LL Cool J, Big Daddy Kane, and KRS1. The most influential is probably Run DMC with shout outs to Grand Master Flash, Rakim (he really changed the game), and Sugar hill Gang. To me the best rap song f all time is Changes by 2PAC which borrows the beat from the way it is by Bruce Hornsby and takes it to the Ghetto but with a generally positive thigh still THUG LIFE message.
Thanks for your take on this. I'm not sure if it is our age or what, but I'd have to agree on the golden age of rap being earlier... but I am impressed on how much of it has matured. Sometimes it feels real stale and stagnant like sometimes prog rock became/did (sorry dudes, 36 hour guitar solos just aren't my thing). It's clever and what have you, but sometimes "modern" rap loses it's immediacy.
What is it Rakim did to really change the game? I don't really know much about that artist.
I feel Rakim really changed the game by the way he changed the flow he used. Before that it was a lot of the same type of syncopation and that louder almost yelling style of RUN DMC and the rest of the gang he brought a laid back smooth coolness to hip hop. He also along with KRS one and a few others brought not only social concioun=sness to rap but some more inventive world play. If interested in hearing more I would recommend checking out both Paid In Full and Follow the leader two rap albums that sound about 5 years ahead of their time. Great thread thanks for starting it.
Surprised with no Lamar love considering, but do dig all ya'lls selections.
Here's my weak attempt on a list... but I think for this competition I'll just do one artist per... probably...
1. Somehow Wyclef really died after this, but wow, musically and holistically I really love this record. A few skits are dumb, but nearly all rap skits are. Plus really dig his Haitian Creole raps.
The Carnival by Wyclef Jean
2. Somehow I connected with this record more than anything else Kendrick did... probably because I felt the music was the most cohesive, yet still the unique stuff I think many love about his Style. While I dig TPAB, it's a bit long and drags a bit for me, even if some of his best work.
DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar
4. Dude's got serious flow. Anyone know if these are all just samples or what - really cool music. Only thing I don't dig, is I feel the album could've been mixed better.
Illmatic by Nas
5. I know this album has a bit of cool bro stuff going on here, but Dre's production/quality tracks throughout... it just bangs. It used to be my second favorite hip-hop album because next to Wyclef's it was the "only" rap album I had listened to so far that was a holistic approach instead of a couple banging songs, and the rest could be skipped.
2001 by Dr. Dre
6. While this does have 4 or so mediocre tracks, this is the epitome of what I love in all forms of music - in your face attitude with a message.
Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A
7. Musically this was quite the ride - probably the most layered samples rap up to this point in the mainstream? Again - attitude that I love, and fantastic musically... solid through and through.
It Takes A Nation Of Millions To Hold Us Back by Public Enemy
8. The next generation of dude's with attitude and a message. The title track I fell in love with (posted the music video here often)... then I heard Reagan, and I was like... Damn.
R.A.P. Music by Killer Mike
10. These guys are goofballs - but I love it somehow. Originally a punk band... then they turn hip-hop? Idk why this makes my top 10 to be honest, other than it's fun to listen to.
Licensed To Ill by Beastie Boys
Runners up: Fugees (The Score... quite the group of talent), De La Soul, Warren G (love me the G Funk Era), and yes... unashamedly The Black Eyed Peas (Elephunk).
Also, even though I don't think Snoop's got an album that I really love all the way through... he's hands down the most musical rapper... dude raps like he's playing a muted trumpet or something. Absolutely beautiful.
Last edited by RoundTheBend on 08/07/2018 04:13; edited 2 times in total
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
Album Points User
Illmatic by Nas 25 Kool Keith Sweat, Stover75, glynspsa, sethmadsen
My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy - Kanye West 20 AfterHours. Stover75, sethmadsen
The Marshall Mathers LP by Eminem 19 AfterHours, Stover75, glynspsa
It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back - Public Enemy 14 AfterHours, sethmadsen
Straight Outta Compton by N.W.A 13 Stover75, glynspsa, sethmadsen
The Don Killuminati: The 7 Day Theory by Makaveli 13 Stover75, glynspsa
Ready To Die by The Notorious B.I.G. 12 Stover75, glynspsa
Endtroducing..... by DJ Shadow 10 bobbyb5, and AfterHours
Enter The Wu-Tang (36 Chambers) by Wu-Tang Clan 10 Stover75
The Carnival by Wyclef Jean 10 sethmadsen
่ฆ้ [Kakusei] by DJ Krush 10 bobbyb5
Black Elvis/Lost In Space by Kool Keith 9 bobbyb5
DAMN. by Kendrick Lamar 9 sethmadsen
Clouddead - Clouddead 8 AfterHours
Raising Hell by Run-D.M.C. 8 sethmadsen
Reconstructions (Theories Explained) by DJ Vadim 8 bobbyb5
The Chronic by Dr. Dre 8 glynspsa
ATLiens by OutKast 7 bobbyb5
The Cold Vein - Cannibal Ox 7 AfterHours
The Sun Rises In The East by Jeru The Damaja 7 glynspsa
2001 by Dr. Dre 6 sethmadsen
3 Feet High And Rising by De La Soul 6 Stover75
The College Dropout - Kanye West 6 AfterHours
Paul's Boutique by Beastie Boys 5 Stover75
So... How's Your Girl? by Handsome Boy Modeling School 5 bobbyb5
Doggystyle by Snoop Dogg 4 glynspsa
Songs Of A Dead Dreamer by DJ Spooky 4 bobbyb5
Glee - Bran Van 3000 3 AfterHours
Kollage by Bahamadia 3 bobbyb5
R.A.P. Music by Killer Mike 3 sethmadsen
Return To The 36 Chambers: The Dirty Ve...ty Bastard 3 glynspsa
Hello Nasty by Beastie Boys 2 bobbyb5
Madvillainy by Madvillain 2 glynspsa
Untitled - Dalek 2 AfterHours
Dr. Octagonecologyst by Dr. Octagon 1 bobbyb5
Licensed To Ill by Beastie Boys 1 sethmadsen
The Miseducation of Lauryn Hill - Lauryn Hill 1 AfterHours
Yo! Bum Rush The Show by Public Enemy 1 Stover75
RoundTheBendI miss the comfort in being sadProfile Ground Control
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum