Best Year For Music- Round 1-Part 2: The 1970's

Goto page Previous  123456  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic

Poll: Which Year Was Best? The 1970's
1970:
13%
 13%  [7]
1971:
35%
 35%  [18]
1972:
3%
 3%  [2]
1973:
7%
 7%  [4]
1974:
3%
 3%  [2]
1975:
3%
 3%  [2]
1976:
1%
 1%  [1]
1977:
13%
 13%  [7]
1978:
5%
 5%  [3]
1979:
9%
 9%  [5]
Total Votes : 51

  • Quote
lol it's funny that there's heavy consensus on 71 and then we're all spread out on the other years. I went with 72 because Mingus - Let My Children Hear Music, Ornette Coleman - Science Fiction and Skies of America, Pharoah Sanders - Black Unity, and Miles Davis - On The Corner all in the same year is crazy just on it's own but then you've got Ege Bamyasi and Neu! and Catherine Ribeiro + Alpes and Franco Battiato, and then I get my weird electronic shit with Ilhan Mimaroglu and Josef Anton Riedl and Dieter Kaufmann. Just so much good stuff, and stuff I need to spend more time with like this Älgarnas Trädgård one with the great album cover


Framtiden är Ett Svävande Skepp, Förankrat I Forntiden by Älgarnas Trädgård
  • Quote
79 for tom petty.
  • Quote
For me it's 1976 and it's not even close. The following are some of my all-time favorite albums.


Wind And Wuthering by Genesis


A Trick Of The Tail by Genesis


Boston by Boston


2112 by Rush


Station To Station by David Bowie
  • Quote
AwaitingAndrew wrote:
For me it's 1976 and it's not even close. The following are some of my all-time favorite albums.


I like seeing a vote for 76. Not only are all of the albums you listed great, Songs in the Key of Life is my all time favorite album.


Even with 1971 taking a big lead, it's good to see almost every other year get a vote so far. Remember the top 3 vote-getters will move on. However, it's too bad that 1975 hasn't gotten any love yet. There is some fantastic music from that year including what I think are Springsteen's, Dylan's, Patti Smith's, Pink Floyd's and Queen's best records. Also a great year in instrumental fusion as Tony Williams and Jeff Beck released a couple of my all time favorites from the genre.
_________________
Attention all planets of the solar federation: We have assumed control.
  • Quote
Tago Mago, Journey In Satchidananda, Fragile, Just As I Am, Blue, There's A Riot Goin' On, Black Unity, What's Going On, Meddle, Master of Reality, Maggot Brain, In Search of Space, Awakening, Pieces of a Man... 1971 is just a superb year that is hard to beat.
  • Quote
1979 is an absolutely nutty year.

Disco and funk were dying out, but were still popular.

Punk and Post-Punk were hitting their stride.

And some stellar all-time classics came out as well.

Classics

Off The Wall- Michael Jackson
London Calling- Clash
Unknown Pleasures- Joy Division
The Wall- Pink Floyd
Fear of Music- Talking Heads
Rust Never Sleeps- Neil Young

Punk/ Post Punk
Inflammable Material- Stiff Little Fingers
Undertones- The Undertones
(GI)- The Germs
154- Wire
Entertainment!- Gang of Four
A Can of Bees- The Soft Boys
A Different Kind of Truth- Buzzcocks
Setting Sons- The Jam
A Trip to Marineville- Swell Maps
Another Kind of Blues- UK Subs
Dawn of the Dickies- The Dickies
Live at The Witch Trials- The Fall
Drums and Wires- XTC
Machine Gun Etiquette- The Damned
Metal Box- PIL
Press Color- Lizzy Mercier Descloux
Quiet Life- Japan
Regatta de Blanc- The Police
Secondhand Daylight- Magazine
The Raincoats- The Raincoats
The B52's- The B52's

Funky Disco-y
Secret Omen- Cameo
XII- The Fatback Band
Street Life- The Crusaders
The Whispers- The Whispers
Time is Slipping Away- Dexter Wansel
In The Purest Form- Mass Production
Just a Touch of Love- Slave

Other Stuff

20 Jazz Funk Greats- Throbbing Gristle
Eskimo- The Residents
Y- The Pop Group
Buy- James Chance & The Contortions
Cristal- Philippe Guerre
Dreamin' Wild- Donny and Joe Emerson
Exposure- Robert Fripp
Force Majeure- Tangerine Dream
Lodger- David Bowie
Sleep Dirt, Sheik Yerbouti, Joe's Garage- Frank Zappa
Martin Rev- Martin Rev
Replicas, The Pleasure Principle- Gary Numan
Overkill- Motorhead

SO MANY GOOD ALBUMS!!!!
  • Quote
Looking at my graph charts, 1974 doesn't look that strong.

However, looking at my personal lists, 1974 has some of my all time favorites of the 70's

Two greats from Joni


Court And Spark by Joni Mitchell


Miles Of Aisles by Joni Mitchell

Some of the "Blue" material, I actually prefer the live versions on Miles of Aisles.

And Van's closest to Astral Weeks...


Veedon Fleece by Van Morrison

And another personal fave


Late For The Sky by Jackson Browne

And not least


Natty Dread by Bob Marley And The Wailers


Pretzel Logic by Steely Dan
  • Quote
Hard choice, but I have to choose 1973 because they have the best album ever...
  • Quote
1973 by a mile, then 70 and 71
In 73 the albums are such a high standard in general that I have listened to over 100 from that year and some that I've not got in my chart are really good and I'd listen again. Not many years I've reached 100. Also some of the best albums ever were released then. With lots of years I get past a certain amount and I feel I'm not enjoying them as much but with 73 I'm not there yet.

New topic  Closed
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123456  Next
Page 2 of 6


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
Sticky: Music Diaries SuedeSwede Music Diaries
[ Poll ] Best Year For Music- Round 1-Part 1: ... AAL2014 Music
[ Poll ] Best Year For Music- Round 1-Part 5: ... AAL2014 Music
[ Poll ] Best Year For Music- Round 1-Part 4: ... AAL2014 Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.