My discoveries per year

Goto page Previous  123 ... 394041 ... 193194195  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic
  • Quote
Mercury wrote:
Tilly wrote:
dihansse wrote:


And I've already listened to one album:
- What's Going On by Marvin Gaye (nr 4 on the overall BEA top chart of 1971): Of course I fairly like the title track and Mercy Mercy Me but overall this album is a bit too mellow (sorry Tilly) for my taste.


I think you should be apologizing to more than just me for not liking that album, dihansse! What's wrong with you! lol.

:P


Uhhh ooooh... lol

In fairness to myself, I like it. But itโ€™s nothing compared to Lets Get It On!


hmmm.... I'll have a battle. To the death! ๐Ÿ˜ˆ

Look for it soon in a Mellow Zone near you. ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Quote
And here are some albums I do like (with already apologies to all people who don't like them ๐Ÿ˜ˆ ) but not all:
- The Inner Mounting Flame by Mahavishnu Orchestra (nr 32 on the overall BEA top chart of 1971): I like the overall look and feel of this album but maybe I wouldn't have put it in my personal top chart if it wasn't for that very good first track Meeting of the Spirits. But I did.
- Pawn Hearts by Van Der Graaf Generator (nr 33): and this one is not very good.
- Tarkus by Emerson, Lake & Palmer (nr 34): I already had the first long track on a compilation so I know it and this is the type of music that puts me off from prog.
- Surf's Up by The Beach Boys (nr 35): yes Surf's Up is a very good song; No this album is not their best; yes it's still the Beach Boys so I'm gonna include it in my personal top chart anyway.
- Construรงรฃo by Chico Buarque (nr 36): and wow this was a surprise. First this album has the typical Brazilian bossanova atmosphere I very much like in songs as the Girls From Ipanema but second this album has some fantistically written and inventive songs with the title song as an absolute top track: again woooow.
- Muswell Hillbillies by The Kinks (nr 37): yes 20th Century Man is a good song (although this original version is not as good as the live version I like very much on One For The Road); No this album is not their best; No it's maybe still the Kinks but this album sucks.
- John Prine by John Prine (nr 38 ): although the songs are somewhat better than your average country album, it's still a bit too much in fairly boring country territory.

The next album to listen to is Jack Johnson by Miles Davis but I'm listening first to two great albums issued today: Flat Worms and Makthaverskan III.
  • Quote
And more albums:
- Jack Johnson by Miles Davis (nr 39 on the overall BEA top chart of 1971): this must indeed be one of the most rocking albums by Miles Davis and I liked it not only because of the inclusion of electric guitars but also because of the general atmosphere of the album I really could relate to.
- First Utterance by Comus (nr 40): what I've read about this album didn't in any way describe what I felt about: instead of finding it creepy, frightening etc I didn't feel anything at all: I just didn't like it that's all.
- If I Could Only Remember My Name by David Crosby (nr 41): I like the contribution of David Crosby to CSN(Y) but this first solo album of his wasn't really that good in my opinion. Only Laughing was fairly good.
- Journey In Satchidananda by Alice Coltrane (nr 42): not really my kind of jazz
- Love It To Death by Alice Cooper (nr 43) and
Killer by Alice Cooper (nr 44): these two albums are ranked next to each other and of the two Love It To Death is by far the best. Not only does it contain it I'm Eighteen but also the rest is very good and a bit proggy but very good. Killer contains one of his best songs, Halo of Flies, but the rest is not that great. Nevertheless I'll put the two on my overall top chart of the year.
- Fireball by Deep Purple (nr 45): Fireball, the first track, is one of my favorite songs ever and I also like most of the other tracks on this album of which there were a lot I didn't even know, I have to admit. So you can call this album a bit of a discovery because jammed between the two masterpieces In Rock and Machinehead. Ian Gillan, Ritchie Blackmore ร nd Jon Lord really shine here.

The next album to listen to is Santana III.
  • Quote
More albums of 1971:
- Santana III by Santana (nr 47 on the overall BEA top chart of 1971): I know and love the first two seventies albums of Santana but sometimes I heard some live version of a song without knowing where it came from: now I know. This album doesn't contain any "hits" but every track is bang on because without exception they all contain great percussion and F*A*B*U*L*O*U*S guitar playing. I suppose this must be one of the greatest discoveries I made here because I didn't have any Santana album in my top 100 chart yet but that was because I didn't know this album: it immediately enters at 78 (after listening to it twice).
Top 100 Greatest Music Albums by dihansse
- Straight Up by Badfinger (nr 49): Badfinger has always been a bit of an inbetween band for me: not bad but not very good either. But this album has a few songs which stand out and save this album for me: Day After Day and Sometimes.
- Islands by King Crimson (nr 50): only the last bit of the last track has caught my intention so that's not really good enough.
- Kazemachi Roman by Happy End (nr 51): this might be one of the best Japanese rock albums but when compared with the overall rock legacy it is not very special and rather derivative: funny how the singer makes his Japanese lyrics sound like English.

The next album to listen to is Stormcock by Roy Harper.
  • Quote
Here is my last contribution for albums of 1971 I listened to:
- Stormcock by Roy Harper (nr 52 on the overall BEA top chart of 1971): This album only contains 4 long tracks but I liked it especially the first and the last which are in some way very pastoral but then again have a very rough edge.
- Songs For Beginners by Graham Nash (nr 53): here's another CSNY offshoot and again nearly all tracks are not the kind of quality I expected. Chicago is the one most in the league of CSNY.
- Escalator Over The Hill by Carla Bley / Paul Haines (nr 54 and the last yet unlistened album with an overall BEA rank of better than 2500): a very long jazz album with lots of other influences but the music goes in all directions without really good ones as an anchor.

And this is the end of this listening session of 1971, a year I enjoyed experiencing and for which the BEA canon in general relatively well fits my taste as well.

This is the final list with at the start the BEA overall rank and after that the BEA year rank and my personal rank before and after this listening session. I have been able to add a lot of albums.

BEA Rank Title By Band BEA YearRank - My Rank before To My Rank after
9 Led Zeppelin IV By Led Zeppelin 1 - 1 To 1
165 Meddle By Pink Floyd 7 - 2 To 2
2047 Santana III By Santana 45 - To listen To 3
185 L.A. Woman By The Doors 9 - To listen To 4
2054 Fireball By Deep Purple 46 - To listen To 5
66 Sticky Fingers By The Rolling Stones 5 - 3 To 6
767 Teaser And The Firecat By Cat Stevens 27 - To listen To 7
827 Every Picture Tells A Story By Rod Stewart 28 - To listen To 8
424 Songs Of Love And Hate By Leonard Cohen 20 - To listen To 9
2478 American Pie By Don McLean 55 - 5 To 10
456 The Yes Album By Yes 22 - To listen To 11
1049 In The Land Of Grey And Pink By Caravan 31 - To listen To 12
2260 Stormcock By Roy Harper 52 - To listen To 13
51 Hunky Dory By David Bowie 3 - 6 To 14
27 Who's Next By The Who 2 - 7 To 15
1784 Love It To Death By Alice Cooper 43 - To listen To 16
572 Pearl By Janis Joplin 24 - To listen To 17
258 Imagine By John Lennon 11 - To listen To 18
369 Ram By Paul & Linda McCartney 18 - To listen To 19
349 Master Of Reality By Black Sabbath 17 - 8 To 20
2173 Straight Up By Badfinger 49 - To listen To 21
2864 A Nod Is As Good As A Wink... To A Blind Horse By Faces 60 - 9 To 22
1473 Jack Johnson By Miles Davis 39 - To listen 23
1068 The Inner Mounting Flame By Mahavishnu Orchestra 32 - To listen To 24
1278 Construcao By Chico Buarque 37 - To listen To 25
265 Tapestry By Carole King 13 - To listen To 26
1951 Killer By Alice Cooper 44 - To listen To 27
1194 Surf's Up By The Beach Boys 35 - To listen To 28

I will again skip five years so the next year I will try to discover with you is 1976.
  • Quote
And here I am with the year 1976 which to me is again a very interesting year with lots of albums to discover.

This is the list of albums I will listen to (or already know) with at the start the BEA overall rank and after that the BEA year rank and my rank (or to listen) before this listening session:

BEA Rank Title By Band BEA YearRank - My Rank before
137 Songs In The Key Of Life By Stevie Wonder 1 - 5
161 Ramones By Ramones 2 - 1
176 Station To Station By David Bowie 3 - 6
203 Hotel California By Eagles 4 - 3
252 Boston By Boston 5 - To listen
305 2112 By Rush 6 - To listen
353 Desire By Bob Dylan 7 - To listen
406 The Modern Lovers By The Modern Lovers 8 - To listen
534 A Trick Of The Tail By Genesis 9 - To listen
589 Rocks By Aerosmith 10 - To listen
663 Hejira By Joni Mitchell 11 - already listened
745 Rising By Rainbow 12 - To listen
751 A Day At The Races By Queen 13 - 4
845 Jailbreak By Thin Lizzy 14 - To listen
866 A New World Record By Electric Light Orchestra 15 - To listen
965 Destroyer By Kiss 16 - To listen
1047 Chronicle - The 20 Greatest Hits By Creedence Clearwater Revival 17 - Already listened
1051 Moonmadness By Camel 18 - To listen
1102 Arrival By ABBA 19 - 8
1103 Zombie By Fela Kuti & Africa 70 20 - To listen
1114 Small Change By Tom Waits 21 - To listen
1201 The Sun Sessions By Elvis Presley 22 - Compilation excluded
1210 The Royal Scam By Steely Dan 23 - To listen
1212 Wind And Wuthering By Genesis 24 - To listen
1213 Oxygรจne By Jean Michel Jarre 25 - Already listened
1291 Frampton Comes Alive! By Peter Frampton 26 - Already listened
1311 Leftoverture By Kansas 27 - To listen
1333 Year Of The Cat By Al Stewart 28 - 2
1451 Presence By Led Zeppelin 29 - 7
1459 Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap By AC/DC 30 - To listen
1461 Sad Wings Of Destiny By Judas Priest 31 - To listen
1491 Fly Like An Eagle By Steve Miller Band 32 - To listen
1505 Warren Zevon By Warren Zevon 33 - To listen
1643 Still Life By Van Der Graaf Generator 34 - To listen
1685 Radio Ethiopia By Patti Smith Group 35 - To listen
1730 The Song Remains The Same By Led Zeppelin 36 - already listened
1856 Tales Of Mystery And Imagination By The Alan Parsons Project 37 - To listen
2027 How Dare You! By 10cc 38 - To listen
2097 Their Greatest Hits (1971-1975) By Eagles 39 - Greatest Hits Excluded
2214 King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown By Augustus Pablo 40 - To listen
2302 Silk Degrees By Boz Scaggs 41 - To listen
2315 Turnstiles By Billy Joel 42 - To listen
2345 Night Moves By Bob Seger & The Silver Bullet Band 43 - To listen
2357 Super Ape By The Upsetters 44 - To listen
2364 Africa Brasil By Jorge Ben 45 - To listen
2392 Tom Petty And The Heartbreakers By Tom Petty & The Heartbreakers 46 - To listen

And I have already listened to two albums:
- Boston by Boston (nr 5 on the overall BEA rank of 1976): I've got their Greates Hits albums which nearly contains all the songs of this debut album of Boston: which means: this is their best but also this is about their only great album (except for Don't Look Back on their second album. But it's a classic with Peace Of Mind and especially More Than A Feeling as absolute standouts. The guitar sound on this album is just signature Boston and it still sounds fantastic.
- 2112 by Rush (nr 6): I don't like Rush and this album is a good example why. Sometimes there's some good guitar but otherwise I'm not a fan of their long songs.

The next album to listen to is Desire by Bob Dylan.
  • Quote
The second sitting of albums of 1976 I listened to:
- Desire by Bob Dylan (nr 7 on the overall BEA top chart of 1976): I think Hurricane must be my favorite Dylan song: both the lyrics as the song itself are really good. But I've never done the effort to listen to the full album so this was a good occasion and although none of the other tracks is as good as Hurricane, overall it's a good album.
- The Modern Lovers by The Modern Lovers (nr 8 ): I possess one of the compilation albums of Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers and the best tracks of this compilation (of course including Roadrunner) are featured on this album while the rest was not that good. So while I'm not a big fan of the whole anthology of Richman I do love this album. Next to the usually mentioned standouts I would like to especially highlight She Cracked. Overall a great pre-punk album.
- A Trick Of The Tail by Genesis (nr 9): another one of those Genesis albums (this one the first without Peter Gabriel which means that Phil Collins is doing the singing) which are a bit of a struggle to listen completely to also because the individual tracks are simply too long.

The next album to listen to is Rocks by Aerosmith.
  • Quote
JAILBREAK IS AMAZING!!!!! PHIL LYNOTT IS SUCH A LEGEND and ONE OF THE GREATEST (if not THE greatest) ROCK VOCALIST EVA!!!!!

also Zombie, Small Change and Radio Ethiopia are faves of mine and I am interested in what you think of them as well.
_________________
-Ryan

ONLY 4% of people can understand this chart! Come try!

My Fave Metal - you won't believe #5!!!
  • Quote
1976 is such an amazing year with so much classics:
- Rocks by Aerosmith (nr 10 on the overall BEA top chart of 1976): but this album isn't one of them. Back In The Saddle is not bad but otherwise this is a typical Aerosmith album: very uninspired rock music to my taste.
- Rising by Rainbow (nr 12): of course I knew most of the tracks of this album but I've never listened to it completely (which is true for many albums of this year). Stargazer and especially A Light In The Black are Rainbow favorites of mine and also the other tracks are just great. Dio and Blackmore are an incredible couple her. Also an album that immediately went to the number one spot of my 1976 personal chart but that didn't lasted long as you will see further on.
- Jailbreak by Thin Lizzy (nr 14): Mercury , I agree: this is one of the best Thin Lizzy albums with not only The Boys Are Back in Town but for one reason or other I was completely hooked by Cowboy Song, a song I didn't even know. A very good album as well and then I hadn't even had the next one:
- A New World Record by Electric Light Orchestra (nr 15): Again an album of which I knew most of the tracks but didn't get round to listen to the whole album yet. Telephone Line is one of my top 1000 tracks ever and also Rockaria and Livin` Thing are amongst the best songs ever. And just all these songs are orchestrated in such an incredible way that you cannot but feel very upbeat at listening to any of the tracks on this absolute classic of an album. Only third by Listmeister but for me this is the best ELO album and it immediately took over the first place in my 1976 personal chart from Rising and also went to rank 53 on my overall personal chart.
- Destroyer by Kiss (nr 16): and even a Kiss record can be a classic. To me Detroit Rock City and Shout It Out Loud are the best Kiss songs and they are on this album. The others are fairly plain Kiss stuff (and I have a bit of mixed feelings about Beth: sometimes I think it's just one of those terrible hardrock ballads, sometimes I think has something more) but overall one of the best regular records of Kiss (but the Alive albums are better).
- Moonmadness by Camel (nr 18 ): there are Camel albums I like but this album is to me a bit too much wallpaper music to really like.
- Zombie by Fela Kuti & Africa 70 (nr 19): The title track is a good rhythmic track but not really my thing.
- Small Change by Tom Waits (nr 21): This album is a mix of his more moving songs and his typical parlando songs (I like less), but it has Tom Traubert's Blues one of my favorites of Tom Waits and that's enough to add this album to my personal top chart.
- The Royal Scam by Steely Dan (nr 23): and again an album I didn't really know but it has made its way immediately to one of my favorite classic Steely Dan albums: Kid Charlemagne is by far the standout track.
- Wind And Wuthering by Genesis (nr 24): this album is a bit the demise of prog as we knew it in the first half of the seventies: while A Trick Of the Tail was the first album without Peter Gabriel and with Phil Collins in the Limelight, it was still prog. This one is more and more going in the direction of typical Phill Collins pop although there is still too many of those annoying synths to be actually good. And then Punk broke...

The next album to listen to is Sad Wings of Destiny by Judas Priest.
  • Quote
And here another wide range of 1976 albums:
- Dirty Deeds Done Dirt Cheap by AC/DC (nr 30 on the overall BEA top chart of 1976): first this one by AC/DC which is not their best at first sight but the title song, Problem Child and Jailbreak are very good while of the rest only Big Balls really sucks and is as juvenile as its title. I don't know if someone can follow me on this but there are many songs on this album (and I don't think there are any on other albums of theirs) where they sound as a bit worse version of the boogie rock of Status Quo but I like Status Quo. So certainly an album for my personal top chart.
Sad Wings Of Destiny by Judas Priest (nr (31): Victim of Change is good but the rest of the songs are not really good to me. There's some albums of Judas Priest I like but this is not one of them.
- Fly Like An Eagle by Steve Miller Band (nr 32): again one of those albums where a greatest hits album is nearly identical to the main album. I've got the Greatest Hits of Steve Miller and liked it so I like this album while the other tracks on the album are mainly filler. But overall a good one.
- Warren Zevon by Warren Zevon (nr 33): again an artist I mainly know from his greatest hits and I realise that the songs I like best on that one come from this album with Desperados Under The Eaves as absolute highlight. I even discovered some very good tracks not appearing on greatest hits like The French Inhalers and many others.
- Still Life by Van Der Graaf Generator (nr 34): I liked My Room (Waiting for Wonderland) but the rest was like a lot of prog overlong and tedious to listen to.
- Radio Ethiopia by Patti Smith Group (nr 35): again an album from an artist of which I know many albums but not this one. And I must say I really liked this rough diamond of hers: Ask The Angels, Ain't It Strange, Pissing In The River, Pumping (My Heart) and the title song: all very good tracks.
- Tales Of Mystery And Imagination by The Alan Parsons Project (nr 37): I like the concept built around some stories of Edgar Alan Poe and I like some of the ways in which they put that into music. On some songs like ...Dr Tarr they succeed but on most other occasions the songs themselves are not really as exciting as the Poe stories. So it remains a bit of a mixed bag for me: maybe after more listens my opinion could change but for the moment it's no.
- How Dare You! by 10cc (nr 39): I'm Mandy, Fly Me is one of their best songs (and maybe their best) but the rest of the album is not so great.
- King Tubbys Meets Rockers Uptown by Augustus Pablo (nr 40): I like dub (and certainly the one presented here) as very good background music but not much more than that.
- Silk Degrees by Boz Scaggs (nr 41): again I suppose the best album now by Boz Scags and it has a few of his top songs Lowdown and Lido Shuffle and What Can I Say, but the rest if fairly plain (but well delivered) soul music. But the three aforementioned songs make me want to include this album in my overall 1976 chart anyway.

The next album to listen to is Turnstiles by Billy Joel.

New topic  Post reply
Topic Posters
All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  123 ... 394041 ... 193194195  Next
Page 40 of 195


 

Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Similar Topics
Topic Author Forum
Sticky: Year Change Notices baystateoftheart Music
A board for your recent discoveries Spyglass Music
Radio killed the Video star (favorite... RoundTheBend Music
Favorite BEA discoveries, all time Listmeister Music
How many new albums you usually hear ... Johnny Music

 
Back to Top
Best Ever Albums
Install BEA for an app-like experience.